The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

Keon Coleman at 33 would be extremely underwhelming.  

Bills type character guy who has incredibly questionable skills in terms of translating to the NFL. 

He looks like a monster “Mossing” college DB’s..  That’s a green flag but also massive red flag. 

Seems like an “ok” player.   WR2 potential, but can he beat top corners … ehhh.  No clue.  

…but if we take him, it screams “we took a swell guy”. 

Already exhausted by having to justify the pick to myself.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, balln said:

Kelvin Benjamin. 

Kelvin Benjamin was a good WR until he gave up on trying. But anyways Coleman is not the same prospect. He's more athletic and better with the ball in his hands.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Kelvin Benjamin was a good WR until he gave up on trying. But anyways Coleman is not the same prospect. He's more athletic and better with the ball in his hands.

Super comparable. Beane / Carolina wanting a large poor separator jump ball wr from fsu

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Keon could be great  or out of the league in 4 years

I like how you narrowed down his window.😁. But I agree with you 100%

By the way, did I mention that I was numbing myself up with Irish whiskey? Well, I am. So………..Let’s get that punter before someone else does!

52 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Cosell had some interesting comments today on OBL.

Said he looks at game films only, but parrotted that a lot have ranked Mitchell near the top three in terms of pure talent, but teams were scared away by the character issues.

If some of those are substantiated, he may fall quite a bit.

I’ve seen the random alleged lack of consistent effort on film. And you do sort of come away thinking that given his obvious natural gifts he should be better than he has shown eg blocking, YAC, taking plays off, running routes at half-speed etc… If thats all there is I would definitely still be all in unless there is something more serious that signals a serious lack of maturity and discipline that would adversely impact coachability (because he needs a lot of coaching). If the concerns are backed up with anything credible he is off the Bills board. George Pickens fell in the second partly because of alleged character issues. I hope we aren’t over reacting.

14 minutes ago, balln said:

Beane / Carolina wanting a large poor separator jump ball wr from fsu

Sorry but that's a lazy comparison. I respect people that don't like him as a prospect, but scout Keon Coleman, not Kelvin Benjamin. I also didn't like him as a prospect when I first read his profile. Then I watched all his snaps and I grew to really like him.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Sorry but that's a lazy comparison. I respect people that don't like him as a prospect, but scout Keon Coleman, not Kelvin Benjamin. I also didn't like him as a prospect when I first read his profile. Then I watched all his snaps and I grew to really like him.

Ok fine it’s lazy. Who cares. If he’s that good bills should have taken him at 28. 

Edited by balln
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I’ve seen the random alleged lack of consistent effort on film. And you do sort of come away thinking that given his obvious natural gifts he should be better than he has shown eg blocking, YAC, taking plays off, running routes at half-speed etc… If thats all there is I would definitely still be all in unless there is something more serious that signals a serious lack of maturity and discipline that would adversely impact coachability (because he needs a lot of coaching). If the concerns are backed up with anything credible he is off the Bills board. George Pickens fell in the second partly because of alleged character issues. I hope we aren’t over reacting.

I mean, as far as we know he hasn't pulled a Von Miller, a Zay Jones, or a Marcel Dareus. Right?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

if we take him, I hope he works out

just won’t be thrilled 

• Agree 1

Just now, balln said:

Ok fine it’s lazy. Who cares

lol. HERES MY OPINION! I know I did zero research to support it but you will respect it for some reason anyways!!!

that’s about right

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Keon Coleman at 33 would be extremely underwhelming.  

Bills type character guy who has incredibly questionable skills in terms of translating to the NFL. 

He looks like a monster “Mossing” college DB’s..  That’s a green flag but also massive red flag. 

Seems like an “ok” player.   WR2 potential, but can he beat top corners … ehhh.  No clue.  

…but if we take him, it screams “we took a swell guy”. 

Already exhausted by having to justify the pick to myself.  

you have to get a bunch more value trading back to consider him 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

he’s a big guy at 4.6+ speed. He’s a skinny tight end or a slow wr. It’s not the good kind of tweener. 

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Justin Shorter was a top WR recruit coming from H.S. and he was picked late in the 5th round.  I don’t like Franklin’s route running, contested catches ability or ability to play strong on the boundary.  FWIW, Greg Cosell didn’t exactly articulate a ringing endorsement today on Buffalobills.com

Your Shorter comparison is beyond ridiculous. Shorter never gained more than 580 yds in a season or scored more than 3 tds.

Franklin was one of the most dominant wrs in the country, gaining almost 1400 yds with 14 tds.

His yprr metrics are elite across the board, vs press, single, double, zone

You don't like his route running?

He is clever and deceptive and runs a full tree attacking all 3 levels. He's one of the better route runners in the class.

Really want Mitchell here. Super high ceiling and all the tools and traits you look for. 

Unfortunately I don’t think they take him due to apparent “character” issues. 

If they stay at 33 it’s probably Ladd. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I mean, as far as we know he hasn't pulled a Von Miller, a Zay Jones, or a Marcel Dareus. Right?

I dont think it takes much with this regime, especially now after the Diggs fiasco. A usually credible source told me Pickens was off their board.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s a big guy at 4.6+ speed. He’s a skinny tight end or a slow wr. It’s not the good kind of tweener. 

Ran the fastest gauntlet time of any WR at the combine. I just don't care about the 40 time.

He is a 2nd round prospect for me, not a 1st round prospect. I recognize his flaws. I am betting on his size and competitiveness and hands.

All things considered I want to draft him plus one of the other 5ish WRs that are considered 2nd rounders. Bet on two to double our chances.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

My comparison for Keon Coleman is Keenan Allen and a former FSU great Anquan Boldin. The Kelvin Benjamin comparisons are lazy lazy. 

I’ve said for months that Coleman is a possibility because he’s got great football acumen, is young and developable and provides an interchangeable piece that can play inside and out. 

I will be one of the few apparently who will not be upset if they select him. People also forget we can easily get a true speed WR later in the draft. 

I get the appeal of AD Mitchell he has great upside too but he just doesn’t strike me as a Bills player(I’ve been wrong before) 

McConkey is my preferred choice but any of the 4 I understand. There have been tons of people saying that Coleman is going a lot higher than the scouting community has him pegged 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Could take Frazier 33 and move up to like 50 for Coleman.  

Coleman is not going to be there at 50 he’s going in the top 10 picks tonight. He could go to NE at 34

• Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Keon Coleman is reportedly very high football character. He is motivated to do well in the NFL so he can provide for his family. He is definitely a character fit for us. Physically he has the tools that I know Beane would love. And he's young, just about to turn 21 in May.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm all for Coleman as a selection though I covet AD more. I want a big boundary receiver that can simply win contested catches and move the chains. We can still double down for a good deep threat prospect with potential to grow in the offense and provide way more (Walker).

I think we are on the verge of having arguably one of the most talented pass catching groups in the league.

AD/Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

Kincaid

Walker

Cook 

Knox

Allen would be able to throw all over the field with that group imo. Nobody would immediately have to be the go to guy or have a quota of catches

We still have Shorter, Hamler, Isabella in the mix as well

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I’m tired of our small finesse WR’s getting bullied.  Give me Coleman.  Plays much faster than that timed speed

Then why no separation 

12 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Your Shorter comparison is beyond ridiculous. Shorter never gained more than 580 yds in a season or scored more than 3 tds.

Franklin was one of the most dominant wrs in the country, gaining almost 1400 yds with 14 tds.

His yprr metrics are elite across the board, vs press, single, double, zone

You don't like his route running?

He is clever and deceptive and runs a full tree attacking all 3 levels. He's one of the better route runners in the class.

Ok - I admit that I was just arguing that how a guy is rated coming out of HS is irrelevant.  I still am not enamored by Franklin.  I think if you look at recent analyst lists, they have dropped Franklin a lot from where he was 2 months ago - same for Coleman.  I think that’s because they have heard from teams that they don’t value them that highly.

I, of course, don’t know what they will do and I watch game tape, highlights and read voraciously, but that doesn’t make me qualified!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

Then why no separation 

The Florida State football team used him on a ton of vertical rates and threw a bunch of jump balls to Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson. They abandoned the middle of the field for full games at times. If defenses know you’re running only a couple of routes and you’re not a burner you’re not going to separate. That has nothing to do with his ability to run a route tree just FSUs offense was very helter skelter for being a 13-0 team 

The problem with the Bills offense last year was that no WR, not named Shakir, could separate.  Josh would have time to throw, work his progressions, and no one was open, often. 

Beane has stated we need RAC and big plays.

Keon Coleman cannot separate.  Keon is not a RAC WR.  Keon only caught 55% of contested catches.

Im OK if the Bills go DT  Newton or S DeJean, most every WR not named Keon Coleman.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

My comparison for Keon Coleman is Keenan Allen and a former FSU great Anquan Boldin. The Kelvin Benjamin comparisons are lazy lazy. 

I’ve said for months that Coleman is a possibility because he’s got great football acumen, is young and developable and provides an interchangeable piece that can play inside and out. 

I will be one of the few apparently who will not be upset if they select him. People also forget we can easily get a true speed WR later in the draft. 

I get the appeal of AD Mitchell he has great upside too but he just doesn’t strike me as a Bills player(I’ve been wrong before) 

McConkey is my preferred choice but any of the 4 I understand. There have been tons of people saying that Coleman is going a lot higher than the scouting community has him pegged 

Bolden played when DBs were allowed to rough up WR.  I don’t think big guys like that are as valuable now with rules changes.

Edited by OldTimer1960

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Florida State football team used him on a ton of vertical rates and threw a bunch of jump balls to Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson. They abandoned the middle of the field for full games at times. If defenses know you’re running only a couple of routes and you’re not a burner you’re not going to separate. That has nothing to do with his ability to run a route tree just FSUs offense was very helter skelter for being a 13-0 team 

Alright, fine. My answer is funnier.

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ran the fastest gauntlet time of any WR at the combine. I just don't care about the 40 time.

He is a 2nd round prospect for me, not a 1st round prospect. I recognize his flaws. I am betting on his size and competitiveness and hands.

All things considered I want to draft him plus one of the other 5ish WRs that are considered 2nd rounders. Bet on two to double our chances.

Keon Coleman is easily the most tape vs testing disconnect I’ve ever seen. 

The testing tells me he makes zero sense for Josh Allen.  The guy has a cannon but doesn’t love throwing jump balls.   Keon with T-Law would be disgusting.  

But then you watch tape and.. yes, he’s not running away from guys.. but he looks like a slam dunk RD1 WR. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good post.  The obsession with 40 times is comical to me.  He plays faster than his "40 time" and the gauntlet is a much more significant speed test and has to do a lot more with on field game speed.  

Give me anyone of Mitchell, McConkey, Coleman, Franklin, or Polk in round 2 and I will be a happy camper.  Doesn't matter to me if its at 33, on a trade back, or at 60.  Anyone of them this round and I will be thrilled.  And I would take all 5 of them over Worthy, Legette, or Pearsall (I love Pearsall, but he wasn't the right fit for us)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2