The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

1 minute ago, Old Coot said:

Why would the Panthers trade to jump ahead of the Bills? Presumably they were afraid the Bills would take their guy Legette.

To prevent from the bills trading to another team. 

also Legette is considered raw so having the 5th year option may be desirable.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

Still very much alive. I'm waiting until we pick tomorrow before getting too worked up. 

I'm not worked up at all. The only wrong thing the Bills could do tonight was draft a non-WR, although that nightmare is unfortunately still a possibility. As long as we still draft a WR at #33, we made the best possible move for sure.

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Very puzzling to give up the 5th year of player control for what?

That’s such a lame point anymore.  Players hardly play under the fifth year option anymore.  Usually get extended before that 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Frankly I think Adonai Mitchell is probably the guy we wanted since Thomas went off the board. When we found out other teams would trade up and weren’t gonna take Mitchell, we agreed to trade down. 

We aren’t in the market for a small wide receiver like either of the Xavier’s, which were the only two off the board since we could have drafted potentially.  

Mitchell is 6’4”+ and 4.3 nastiness.  Another megatron type but faster.  We lost nothing by trading down, only gained more and better picks.  

I bet we go with Adonai tomorrow with first pick and we significantly bolstered our draft position by drafting down twice.  Bottom line is we don’t trade down if our guy at any position is there.  If he isn’t and we can still get him lower, then it’s money for us. 

I don't know how much time they spent with him pre-draft.  They met with Franklin multiple times.  Also met with McConkey.  

Tonight was puzzling, but Beane has earned the benefit of the doubt.  I don't doubt that he has a plan.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Going for quantity (picks) over quality?

I think they are repositioning their picks to be more valuable to move up from 60 which I think a lot of people agree is a dead zone for the Bills and their needs. Between the 3 trades they moved down 5 picks so far and gained 128 spots. That is significant when talking about moving around the board in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I think its very possible the Bills field calls all night and move the 33rd pick as well. That pick is very valuable to sit on for 20 hours and field phone calls for. Might be able to get a premium for it. 

For Instance Buffalo and Green Bay makes a lot of sense tomorrow. Buffalo trades 33 and 163 and receives 41 and 88.

Its obvious the Bills have a group of WR's clumped together.

That would leave 8 picks between us and 41 with McConkey, Mitchell, Franklin & Coleman still on the board. Is it possible all 4 go sure but its highly unlikely and I have to believe Green Bay would want either DeJean or Newton which are big needs for them.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

The trade with Carolina is a no brainer for many reasons.

1. You confirm with Carolina the player they are moving up to select is not the player you want. If it is then you don’t make the trade.
2. you move up about 60 spots from late 6th to high 5th. That is the 125 ranked player vs the 185.

3. the newly acquired high 5th rounder is a much more valuable trade chip to improve 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders.

4. The first pick in the 2nd round is often a highly traded pick as teams reevaluate their boards (since moving to the 3 day format), giving more trade down opportunities.

Not sure how you get 125th ranked player.  The fifth round pick they got is pick 141.  

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think he is not our board.

I say Franklin/McConkey/Coleman or DeJean.

And than trade up a little bit in 2nd and 3rd to find some other starters.

I think it’s MCConkey and Coleman

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm not worked up at all. The only wrong thing the Bills could do tonight was draft a non-WR, although that nightmare is unfortunately still a possibility. As long as we still draft a WR at #33, we made the best possible move for sure.

Yup, exactly the point I was making in the OP. 

As long we go WR with the pick, we are good. 

Let's say the Bills like Mitchell, and took him at 28. Then it's extremely likely KC still gets Worthy, and Carolina still gets Leggette. So same exact outcome, except we don't get all the value we got from the trades. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I think we might trade down again.

Gut instinct is Beane wants two 2nd round picks to go WR/WR bang, bang, then spend another pick in the late 2nd early 3rd on safety.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

To prevent from the bills trading to another team. 

also Legette is considered raw so having the 5th year option may be desirable.

He's already 23, was a 5th year Senior, and is raw. That should concern people. He will be 28 after his rookie deal and that makes signing a second contract difficult because the decline for WRs is pretty much a certainty past 30-31.

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s such a lame point anymore.  Players hardly play under the fifth year option anymore.  Usually get extended before that 

And if they don’t sign an extension before the 5th, the team isn’t interested in doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I think the 5th option is more important for qbs as it gives significant savings in the option year. For other positions, the 5th year option price is often pretty high and not much of a savings at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The dream is still very much alive. Draft two of these WRs in R2, likely with a medium trade up from #60:

Coleman

Franklin

Mitchell

McConkey

Polk

BPA at #95, perhaps with a small trade up to get a true 3rd round graded player.

To me this would be acceptable but hardly a dream scenario. McConkey is the only sure thing of those five and he has a relatively low ceiling 

Beane has already shown his hand of his plan for this years draft and that is to collect more picks and to upgrade the later round picks he already had. Having the #33 pick, which is traditionally always a very very sought after pick, as the first pick of round 2, I would be utterly amazed that his plan isn’t to trade back from #33 as well and continue adding picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I’m not mad about trading down but to trade with KC and not make them pay extra is beyond ridiculous! 

They paid pretty well, getting a 3rd back this year is big

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane's pry thinking teams now have 18 hours to see if they want to trade with us.  Love having the first pick of the 2nd round.

• Agree 1

The only reason people are upset is they assume KC knows better. But their WR draft investments have been meh overall. Rice looks like a good pick but it turns out he's a massive idiot. Moore and Toney and Hardman were straight up bad draft investments.

If Worthy becomes a star this turns out to be an all time stupid move by Beane but let's wait and see how it turns out. And I say this as someone that would have been happy picking Worthy in the 1st, but his flaws are real and it's possible he doesn't ever come close to reaching his potential.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Truth be told, people get hung up on drafting the highest pick etc.  Having a low first rounder is ripe for trade downs and can get HUGE value to move up draft spots all over.  Frankly it has more trade value than trading talented roster guys.  We didn’t give up anybody thus far that we wanted (and was available to us), which I think is the overall point.  

I think we did great by trading down and thought it was likely. 

• Like (+1) 1