Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

35 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I don't get people being mad that we traded with KC and "gave them" the receiver they wanted.  KC was going to get the receiver anyway, and we didn't want him - so we traded back and got the compensation that matches the move according to the draft trade formulas.  Did people want us to draft a player we didn't want just to spite KC?

And people saying we should have gotten more for the trade just aren't being realistic.  If they asked for more than the trade was valued at the trade wouldn't have happened 

People can be mad if they wanted Worthy and the Bills didn't draft him, but being mad they "gave" a player to KC doesn't make sense.  KC literally paid a price for it

people are just mad because they're worried about the media skewering/trolling from other fan bases that will come IF Worthy pans out and the Chiefs continue to own the Bills.  

This would be akin to the Sabres trading their first round pick to Toronto and having the Leafs draft a superstar with it.

It's not a rational view of the trade down, it's simply fear of being mocked for years to come.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Heels20X6 said:

people are just mad because they're worried about the media skewering/trolling from other fan bases that will come IF Worthy pans out and the Chiefs continue to own the Bills.  

This would be akin to the Sabres trading their first round pick to Toronto and having the Leafs draft a superstar with it.

It's not a rational view of the trade down, it's simply fear of being mocked for years to come.

The Sabres and Leafs aren’t rivals. The Sabres and the Niagara IceDogs are rivals.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

On this I fully agree. 

But in this particular situation, imo,  the Bills couldn't have stopped Chiefs from getting him anyway

Could’ve taken him… a receiver.. the position we think they need. 

BIG difference going on right now. KC believes Worthy fits. Hmmmm. Why doesn’t he fit the Bills? Isn’t Mahomes and Allen 1A & 1B? Why doesn’t Worthy fit the Chiefs and not the Bills? 

Don’t the Bills think Kincaid is Kelce? Didn’t the Bills try to make a Worthy out of Harty? Seems to me our Bills are lock step with the Red Menace on offense. Who are we missing that they have.. Rashee Rice…. So aren’t we missing a Rashee Rice? Didn’t want him in last year’s draft. Didn’t want a Rashee Rice in this year's draft, I guess. Unless it’s who — Franklin? I dunno. WHY ARE WE ALWAYS ONE STEP BEHIND THE CHIEFS???????????

We have no Rice. We have no Jones. AND WE’RE HELPING THE ***** CHIEFS MAKE THEIR TEAM, literally handing them THEIR players. I mean, their QB and weapon should have to layover in BUF to get to KC. 

I’m pissed. Not because I don’t think Beane knows what he’s up to. I just don’t like all those WRs going and giving the Chiefs ANYTHING. 

Beane obviously think we didn’t need a top 6/7 WR on everyone’s WR board. Okay, better hope you’re right, Beane.

Either the Bills are trying to emulate the Chiefs, or they have a different approach that they believe is superior.. can’t even believe I just typed that. Joe Brady believes so strongly in his playbook that the offense will be cutting edge and top tier, he’s not doing what the Chiefs do. Okay, I can handle that philosophy. But it better freakin’ work.

The taste in my mouth after last night is the Bills are someone’s b*t*h. I hate that. 

Looking forward to see how valuable eleven 5th round picks are TODAY, Beane. TODAY. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

This trade is going to take on a major revisionists history.

The fact is KC most likely would have drafted Worthy at 32.

All Beane did was significantly improve our day 2 draft Capitol.

This was the right move .

I am confident that we will get a quality receiver today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We need to define the word “fact.”

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

Most likely 

No evidence of that being “most likely.”

Fact: multiple teams wanted to trade with us to 28.

Fact: teams that drafted AFTER 28 went WR.

Fact: KC was worried enough about getting jumped for Worthy that they traded up to 28 to get him.

Nothing points to it being “most likely” they just stay pat and get worthy at 32.

21 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Barring a major move, Beane and McDermott are going for walks and singles.  That's OK if you're a team with a QB, WR1 and decent defense as Buffalo was in 2021 and 2022, perhaps 2023.  Not so now, when the WR group consists of Samuel, Shakir, and WR4/5 types.  

Day 2 and 3 draft capital are bloop singles and maybe doubles without a big move for a veteran now that the top 5-6 WRs are off the board.  

It's like 2022 when their first 3 picks were a CB, RB, and LB given the positional value compared to their situation even then at WR.  We will see though.   

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The Sabres and Leafs aren’t rivals. The Sabres and the Niagara IceDogs are rivals.

Same thing I used to say about the Bills and Brady Pats "rivalry". The hammer does not consider the nail a rival.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, if worthy ends up a star it’s going to be an all time historic blunder to keep feeding Kansas City key pieces at our own needs 

I don’t think there’s any way any one can justify why Beane would trade with KC, so they can get the 1st round player they wanted.  Whether he ends up good or bad.    This is just a classically stupid move.  Unless you get a stupid compensation like their 1st for the next 2 years, you absolutely do not do anything to help the team that ends your season more often than not. 

For me, it’s not that we moved out of the first round. It’s that we gave KC a boost so that we can move behind them.  Classic case of thinking you’re smarter than the guy that keeps winning Super Bowls while you’re sittin home with nothin to do.  

I’m quickly losing all faith in the Bills’ FO and HC to have a clue.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Could’ve taken him… a receiver.. the position we think they need. 

BIG difference going on right now. KC believes Worthy fits. Hmmmm. Why doesn’t he fit the Bills? Isn’t Mahomes and Allen 1A & 1B? Why doesn’t Worthy fit the Chiefs and not the Bills? 

I surely cannot profess to beane's logic in not wanting Worthy. Could be because of his weakness against press coverage, his small stature, perceived Goodwin type durability issues. Maybe Franklin can provide the speed with a bit more size. 

But clearly Beane didnt want Worthy and there was little chance we could have prevented the Chiefs from taking him anyway. 

I do agree with you that today will show what Beane's plan is. Could be a disastrous one but lets wait a couple of days before making judgments on his entire draft. 

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No evidence of that being “most likely.”

Fact: multiple teams wanted to trade with us to 28.

Fact: teams that drafted AFTER 28 went WR.

Fact: KC was worried enough about getting jumped for Worthy that they traded up to 28 to get him.

Nothing points to it being “most likely” they just stay pat and get worthy at 32.

Maybe they don’t . Still may have needed to make a move. That means 

Fact : The Bills did not want Worthy

Fact :  If KC makes a move , some other team gets a draft pick. 
 It’s pretty clear the Bills didn’t want the WRs taken off the board from 28 on. If they did they just stay at 28 and turn in the card. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe they don’t . Still may have needed to make a move. That means 

Fact : The Bills did not want Worthy

Fact :  If KC makes a move , some other team gets a draft pick. 
 It’s pretty clear the Bills didn’t want the WRs taken off the board from 28 on. If they did they just stay at 28 and turn in the card. 

The Bills didn’t want Patrick Mahomes either. The Bills didn’t want to draft a WR  in day one or two since Zay Jones. Maybe the Bills are making a mistake lol

Just now, FireChans said:

The Bills didn’t want Patrick Mahomes either. The Bills didn’t want to draft a WR  in day one or two since Zay Jones. Maybe the Bills are making a mistake lol

Maybe. The Bills had a lame duck GM so we know why they didn’t want to take a QB there. Well worn territory that’s been discussed to death. The Bills have Josh Allen, they don’t need a QB. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Maybe.. but for all the success the Chiefs have had, it's not due to WR evaluations.  They've literally won in spite of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

As long as they live with their results and own it,  if this team misses the playoffs then I don't want hear Beane making excuses about being a reset year.  McDermott needs to be replaced because Andy Reid two seasons ago in a reset year won a Superbowl.

I suspect a majority of their picks will be used towards defence and that is soely because McDermott's push. Another thing,  if Worthy turns into another stud like Hill then Beane needs to follow McDermott out the door

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe.. but for all the success the Chiefs have had, it's not due to WR evaluations.  They've literally won in spite of that. 

Very true. 

And if this is the pick they nail, it will probably result in a total Bills tear down. Maybe even a Josh demands a trade situation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don’t think there’s any way any one can justify why Beane would trade with KC, so they can get the 1st round player they wanted.  Whether he ends up good or bad.    This is just a classically stupid move.  Unless you get a stupid compensation like their 1st for the next 2 years, you absolutely do not do anything to help the team that ends your season more often than not. 

For me, it’s not that we moved out of the first round. It’s that we gave KC a boost so that we can move behind them.  Classic case of thinking you’re smarter than the guy that keeps winning Super Bowls while you’re sittin home with nothin to do.  

I’m quickly losing all faith in the Bills’ FO and HC to have a clue.  

if you are worried about spiting the Chiefs more than improving your team then you are probably still in Norwood PTSD and should not be running a football team. 

If they wanted Worthy or believed he was the best player at 28 they would have taken him. They did not. He is a player with one big skill and a lot of question marks. I hope he doesn’t work out but if we picked someone else at 28 and the Chiefs got him at 32 or traded up to 29 it wouldn’t be any different. 

If you think he will be Tyreek Hill and not Marquise Goodwin or Ted Ginn you don’t just take him at 28, you move up to make sure. Tyreek is so much more than a forty time. 

Both trades helped this team get better. There aren’t perfect receivers out of the top ten so you have to trust your evaluations and projections. We will see if the evaluations were right or if we missed the mark (happens dozens of times each draft) but I think the rationale and draft day specifics are spot on for these two trades, just like the move up for Kincaid was. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe. The Bills had a lame duck GM so we know why they didn’t want to take a QB there. Well worn territory that’s been discussed to death. The Bills have Josh Allen, they don’t need a QB. 

Remember the Lions drafting top five receiver busts over and over. Then picking Megatron anyway? If you let past draft trauma impact future choices instead of solid evaluations and strategy, you have already failed. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is my guy. I'm going to bed. To sob. 

***** Brandon Beane. 

Think positively Bill Belichick had just said he loved the guy, a WR in round 1 that Belichick would pick, he's doomed.

• Haha (+1) 2

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if Beane moved up to draft Worthy certain people would be calling for his head.

Stuff like "he gave up a 3rd rounder for a 4th comp pick".  We now have only one other pick in the top 130.

"KC fleeced him".  This board is so predictable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Their defense has gotten it done when needed . The Bills hasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if Beane moved up to draft Worthy certain people would be calling for his head.

Stuff like "he gave up a 3rd rounder for a 4th comp pick".  We now have only one other pick in the top 130.

I would have loved it. It would have been risky, but bold and aggressive.

We will see you back when Worthy sends us home in January for you to tell us “no one could predict he’d be good.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

We will see you back when Worthy sends us home in January for you to tell us “no one could predict he’d be good.”

I'll wait for the draft to finish before I give my opinion on Beane's moves.

I also never gave any opinion on Worthy.  He could "bust" or be great.  

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Looking at who 49ers picked doesn't feel like KC needed to trade to get him, or are Worthy and Persall more similar than they seem to me?

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Looking at who 49ers picked doesn't feel like KC needed to trade to get him, or are Worthy and Persall more similar than they seem to me?

Never know. Pearsall may have been the "panic pick" people like to say happens. I'm wondering if they were targeting Worthy and that's why KC felt they had to jump up to get him.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

5 minutes ago, Success said:

So, if we got DeJean - does he move to safety?

Well, he can’t play corner in the NFL, so…thankfully he’s not going to be the pick.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, he can’t play corner in the NFL, so…thankfully he’s not going to be the pick.

You sure about that 

I could see this staff picking him easily 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hmmm… you said “ risky , but “ . Why do I get the feeling if Worthy was the Bills pick and failed , you would be calling him “ Roscoe Parrish 2.0 , another Harty “ etc etc ? 

35 minutes ago, Koufax said:

if you are worried about spiting the Chiefs more than improving your team then you are probably still in Norwood PTSD and should not be running a football team. 

If they wanted Worthy or believed he was the best player at 28 they would have taken him. They did not. He is a player with one big skill and a lot of question marks. I hope he doesn’t work out but if we picked someone else at 28 and the Chiefs got him at 32 or traded up to 29 it wouldn’t be any different. 

If you think he will be Tyreek Hill and not Marquise Goodwin or Ted Ginn you don’t just take him at 28, you move up to make sure. Tyreek is so much more than a forty time. 

Both trades helped this team get better. There aren’t perfect receivers out of the top ten so you have to trust your evaluations and projections. We will see if the evaluations were right or if we missed the mark (happens dozens of times each draft) but I think the rationale and draft day specifics are spot on for these two trades, just like the move up for Kincaid was. 

Remember the Lions drafting top five receiver busts over and over. Then picking Megatron anyway? If you let past draft trauma impact future choices instead of solid evaluations and strategy, you have already failed. 

It’s not about worrying about the Chiefs.  It’s about not helping them.  Of all the teams in the league that is the last team I would want to help.  The only way you could possibly justify this is if you think getting a late round pick significantly improves the team.    Just getting an extra pick doesn’t do that. 

This is the same logic we saw for years with teams helping the pats with those stupid trades that allowed them to sustain a perennial Super Bowl winner. 

I think this comes down to… you and others think the Bills FO are smarter than the one that has made the conference championship game every year, and won multiple Super Bowls.   I’m of the opinion you don’t let that team do what they want in the draft because records currently show… they’re making better decisions than you.   

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

It’s not about worrying about the Chiefs.  It’s about not helping them.  Of all the teams in the league that is the last team I would want to help.  The only way you could possibly justify this is if you think getting a late round pick significantly improves the team.    Just getting an extra pick doesn’t do that. 

This is the same logic we saw for years with teams helping the pats with those stupid trades that allowed them to sustain a perennial Super Bowl winner. 

I think this comes down to… you and others think the Bills FO are smarter than the one that has made the conference championship game every year, and won multiple Super Bowls.   I’m of the opinion you don’t let that team do what they want in the draft because records currently show… they’re making better decisions than you.   

How did we help the Chiefs?

Just now, EggFartExplosion said:

Mahomes is HBK and Allen is Bret Hart and they are going to have a brawl backstage at the draft.

Rodger Goodell is Vince McMahon, and he will ref the "brawl".

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmm… you said “ risky , but “ . Why do I get the feeling if Worthy was the Bills pick and failed , you would be calling him “ Roscoe Parrish 2.0 , another Harty “ etc etc ? 

I’m not sure. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

Worthy has elite speed. A little skinny and slight. I had doubts about Devonta Smith who has been pretty productive at the NFL level. 

even if he sucked, I would respect the decision. Now, I have to hope he sucks so he doesn’t catch bombs in the divisional round over Cooper Dejeans head

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

Worthy has elite speed. A little skinny and slight. I had doubts about Devonta Smith who has been pretty productive at the NFL level. 

even if he sucked, I would respect the decision. Now, I have to hope he sucks so he doesn’t catch bombs in the divisional round over Cooper Dejeans head

k

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wait…why can’t he play corner in the nfl? Great athleticism and production in college. First team All-American, Big 10 Defensive Back of the Year.

image.thumb.jpeg.1975f54804747d0e491b4be3bf94dcc2.jpeg

Hoping Beane picks up some good experience picking early in the second round because with his combination of off season moves, we’ll most likely be picking early in the first round next year. I knew we couldn’t defend the chiefs in the playoffs but now we can’t defend them in the draft???

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1