Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, are you referring to the time that he traded his 1st round pick, while needing a QB, for arguably the best QB ever? That draft was McDermott though.

Yea, if worthy ends up a star it’s going to be an all time historic blunder to keep feeding Kansas City key pieces at our own needs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

One thing to consider as I mulled overnight as to why 33 instead of 32: Beane now has 17 hours between rounds. If he can go up 1-2 and get DeJean AND a WR with a pick or two I'd be over the moon 

I agree this is where we need to be.  I think the Bills knew DeJean their pick would still be there so they traded back and put themselves in a position to get a WR of which a lot had a similar value.  I think the WR is going to be Jalen McMillan, just a hunch.  But if AD Mitchell lasts I could see them pick him up instead.

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question? What does “rated” mean (or have to do with anything)? He is a 4.21 guy that was projected as a 1st round pick long before the combine (years even). He was a 3 time all big 12 selection in his 3 seasons. He’s twitchy and obviously has big play ability. He’s a big version of Hollywood Brown (who is now also on the Chiefs). That speed, with Andy Reid, is a nightmare.

He jumped up the draft board after he ran a 4.2 instead of a 4.3 like everyone thought.  That’s what I mean by rated. If he was so good he would have been projected higher before the underwear olympics. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, if worthy ends up a star it’s going to be an all time historic blunder to keep feeding Kansas City key pieces at our own needs 

If Worthy leads the league in return yardage as a rookie, which is not unlikely given the new kickoff rules, it’s a huge blunder.  If Worthy wins OROY, Beane should probably be fired.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He jumped up the draft board after he ran a 4.2 instead of a 4.3 like everyone thought.  That’s what I mean by rated. If he was so good he would have been projected higher before the underwear olympics. 

If you are referring to John Ross jumping way up after his 40 you are correct. If you’re talking about Worthy moving way up, you’re incorrect. He was always projected early. Here is a mock draft from July 2023:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-drake-maye-marvin-harrison-jr-brock-bowers-first-round-training-camp

Edited by Kirby Jackson

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, are you referring to the time that he traded his 1st round pick, while needing a QB, for arguably the best QB ever? That draft was McDermott though.

My only counter is that the way to prevent Chiefs from getting Worthy was to pick him ourselves. How else would we have prevented Chiefs getting him anyway? I am guessing that Beane knew that the 3 teams in the middle did not want him 

I absolutely do not want to help our arch(est) rival but this sounds like a situation where the Bills got some assets while not changing any of the selections between the two teams 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

My only counter is that the way to prevent Chiefs from getting Worthy was to pick him ourselves. How else would we have prevented Chiefs getting him anyway? I am guessing that Beane knew that the 3 teams in the middle did not want him 

I absolutely do not want to help our arch(est) rival but this sounds like a situation where the Bills got some assets while not changing any of the selections between the two teams 

you say this but apparently the chiefs thought there was risk

• Agree 1

I was really happy worthy made it to the bills' pick.  To see them trade it, to kc nonetheless, then them take worthy was bitter to swallow.  

With that said.

Top end speed does not = tyreek hill.  The raiders have notoriously taken the fastest wr for decades and it hasn't worked out.

Mahomes did not make hill either.  He established himself under Alex Smith, and look what he is doing with Tua. 

The Bills clearly had no interest in worthy, moving down. They were confident enough to give the pick to kc.  It appears worthy would have fallen to the chiefs anyway if the Bills picked whoever they are targeting.

Lastly, Andy Reid is a fatso

Edited by May Day 10
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I hear you. The Bills certainly could have taken him themselves. The need and value was there. They could have started with Carolina there and tried to get them to come up for Worthy. SF could have targeted him too.

At the end of the day, you had to take the deal if you didn’t want to draft him. The nonsense about only worrying about your own draft board is BS though. The Bills do need to be concerned about what KC is doing. That’s the team that has knocked you out 3 times. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

Terry studying his priorities.

I bet he went over Beane's head to make the call to trade with KC! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

s/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hear you. The Bills certainly could have taken him themselves. The need and value was there. They could have started with Carolina there and tried to get them to come up for Worthy. SF could have targeted him too.

At the end of the day, you had to take the deal if you didn’t want to draft him. The nonsense about only worrying about your own draft board is BS though. The Bills do need to be concerned about what KC is doing. That’s the team that has knocked you out 3 times. 

I thought Beane made a very valid point last night. Let's say for the sake of argument the Bills weren't going to take Worthy. Let's say they saw the best value on the board was DeJean and took him. I see those as both being very plausible. Kansas City probably still moves up somewhere and ends up with Worthy anyways. More than likely they weren't just calling Buffalo. They likely had Dallas on the other line. Possibly Baltimore who has made deals with KC in the past. 

So in essence, by refusing to trade with KC, we have no pick in the 3rd, a S/CB that everyone is mad about taking and someone else improved their own draft picks. And the Chiefs still get Worthy and likely at a slightly smaller price.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see us take a WR in that spot...but let's see how today plays out. That pick at 95 can be moved way up just by using all those 5ths we have. Think I saw if they used all 4 5ths they had enough value to get to pick 77ish if they need to. I think by the end of the day we're going to be a lot more satisfied.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Yay a meh player instead of a possible difference maker. Lets keep trading down and save more money maybe we can get 5 5th round picks it willl be such great value 👍

I’m sorry, is the hit rate in the first round 100%?

Last time I heard it was like in the 40s. You have no idea yet if we are going to get a superstar or a meh player.

7 hours ago, bearstobills said:

Suddenly Wothy is a #1?? They weren't taking Worthy and they weren't taking Pearsall.  So to get a 3rd round pick (when you didn't have one) to select the same player you were going to select anyway (Ladd, Franklin, Frazier, Mitchell, etc.) is nothing but damn smart GMing

I despise whomever pointed out the 5th year option caveat.

Not one single person on this board used that as a justification as to why a player should be picked at 28 as opposed to potentially moving back, gaining draft capital and still being able to acquire said player.

Now it's the hot button rebuttal as to why a player (whether we wanted them or not) should've been chosen in the 1st.

Anyone ever think that we traded back to get Dejean and then trade for Higgins or Autuk. 

31 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Anyone think we DONT bring in a vet (I.e. Higgins, Auyuk etc) and just pick a few wrs in the second and just roll w that?

I mean I cannot see a way we’re good without a #1

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I’m sorry, is the hit rate in the first round 100%?

Last time I heard it was like in the 40s. You have no idea yet if we are going to get a superstar or a meh player.

True, I can’t argue that, but i’m sure the rates keep falling as the rounds move on. And since we need a few difference makers, I’d rather bet on higher than lower round picks.

45 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I was really happy worthy made it to the bills' pick.  To see them trade it, to kc nonetheless, then them take worthy was bitter to swallow.  

With that said.

Top end speed does not = tyreek hill.  The raiders have notoriously taken the fastest wr for decades and it hasn't worked out.

Mahomes did not make hill either.  He established himself under Alex Smith, and look what he is doing with Tua. 

The Bills clearly had no interest in worthy, moving down. They were confident enough to give the pick to kc.  It appears worthy would have fallen to the chiefs anyway if the Bills picked whoever they are targeting.

Lastly, Andy Reid is a fatso

That made me laugh like an idiot 

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

True, I can’t argue that, but i’m sure the rates keep falling as the rounds move on. And since we need a few difference makers, I’d rather bet on higher than lower round picks.

I’d rather bet on more players than keeping our eggs in 1 basket. We now have 3 top 100 picks, I won’t be surprised if we end picking 3 times in the second round. 

We could get Cooper DeJean and two great WR prospects like Franklin and McConkey, or AD Mitchell.

There are multiple WRs still on the board that I wouldn’t have minded them grabbing at 28, but now they get to do it at 33, so a cheaper rookie contract. And you picked up another top 100 pick along the way? That’s just good business. 

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

. The nonsense about only worrying about your own draft board is BS though. The Bills do need to be concerned about what KC is doing. That’s the team that has knocked you out 3 times. 

On this I fully agree. 

But in this particular situation, imo,  the Bills couldn't have stopped Chiefs from getting him anyway

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What are you willing to pay for Sutton? 5th?

Yeah, something like that would be fine to me.

Really curious what SF ultimately gets for Deebo if he's the guy though. Feel like it'll less than people think.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Really curious what SF ultimately gets for Deebo if he's the guy though. Feel like it'll less than people think.

Agree on Deebo. It would be less than people think. He isn't a slam dunk difference maker in any scheme. A lot of teams wouldn't be able to use him the way you need to in order to maximise his talent.

7 hours ago, 0017 said:

I was really excited for the trade downs! When I looked at this draft there is only about 17 guys who were true 1st rounders, the 2nd and 3rd is where it’s at, and we now have 3 picks. We should be celebrating instead of worrying about Mecole Hardman 2.0 going to the chiefs. 

I was irritated about giving a WR to the Chiefs at first, but warmed up to the concept more overnight. If Buffalo is confident that whoever they draft or trade for at WR is going to be better than Xavier Worthy, then I trust them and am glad that they added two picks.  Maybe Buffalo finds their next, Milano, Bernard or Shakir with one of those added picks.  I will be interested to see what this trade looks like in two years.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I still think it’s Ayiuk that gets dealt. The Pearsall pick is more duplication when it comes to Ayiuk. He also has the easier contract to move. I wonder if you could get Ayiuk for 60 and 128 or something like that? If that’s the case, take Dejean (or Newton here), trade for Ayiuk & then take Baker at 95. That would be 🔥

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I still think it’s Ayiuk that gets dealt. The Pearsall pick is more duplication when it comes to Ayiuk. He also has the easier contract to move. I wonder if you could get Ayiuk for 60 and 128 or something like that? If that’s the case, take Dejean (or Newton here), trade for Ayiuk & then take Baker at 95. That would be 🔥

I'd be surprised if it doesn't cost at least #33 for Aiyuk but we'll see. He'd be the most exciting of those three vets for sure.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't cost at least #33 for Aiyuk but we'll see. He'd be the most exciting of those three vets for sure.

Problem with the Aiyuk idea is what we have to do now to make room for it. I think the have to pull the Oliver restructure lever (which is fine) but then also kick the extra bits of can they left available on Josh and Von's deals. I am sceptical that they want to do that. Cos they have to fit Aiyuk before they can redo his deal.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't get people being mad that we traded with KC and "gave them" the receiver they wanted.  KC was going to get the receiver anyway, and we didn't want him - so we traded back and got the compensation that matches the move according to the draft trade formulas.  Did people want us to draft a player we didn't want just to spite KC?

And people saying we should have gotten more for the trade just aren't being realistic.  If they asked for more than the trade was valued at the trade wouldn't have happened 

People can be mad if they wanted Worthy and the Bills didn't draft him, but being mad they "gave" a player to KC doesn't make sense.  KC literally paid a price for it

• Like (+1) 2

Putting aside the Chiefs for a second, this was a pretty good first day for the Bills from an AFC East standpoint. Pats don’t get Daniels (who I think is a whole lot more dangerous than Maye), Jets don’t get one of the Big 3 WR’s or the top TE and Dolphins draft Aaron Maybin Part Deux.  Let’s make some solid picks today and move forward.

• Like (+1) 1

This feels like when they traded down twice and took James Cook in round 2, they are targeting someone who they know will be there if they trade down. It'll probably be a reach and they'll take someone out of left field. Hopefully not Troy Franklin.

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m fine stockpiling.  He’ll use them to move back up in rounds 2 and 3 most likely.  But the Chiefs trade is just killing me.  Mostly because it shows that my biggest fear is warranted: there is no serious owner running this franchise.  It’s autopilot.

You don’t want Terry Pegula running this.  Look at the Sabres and be happy that Beane is here. 

5 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

You don’t want Terry Pegula running this.  Look at the Sabres and be happy that Beane is here. 

Yeah, you can either have the used car salesman (Beane) and his manager (McDermott) running things.  

Or, you can have Mr. Burns.  That's how I see the Bills right now.  

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Mostly because it shows that my biggest fear is warranted: there is no serious owner running this franchise.  It’s autopilot.

Pick a lane. Do you want the owner to stay out of the way or sticking his nose in. You can't have both.