Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

37 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Who are you? Mike Ditka? I think you can jump to 9 for less, but it's probably 28, 1st in 25, plus 60

I’m all for moving up and getting a stud WR , but to give up this year’s almost entire draft capital and next year’s 1st is insane , especially in a draft that is supposedly loaded at WR , 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Aggressively? I don’t like the sound of that at all! 

That sounds like bidding war and you are ready pay more 

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

We don't know who they want but to get one of the top 3 it's gonna cost a lot. Like 3 1sts or 2 1sts and 2 2nds

That’s more then we paid for our franchise QB 

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

We don't know who they want but to get one of the top 3 it's gonna cost a lot. Like 3 1sts or 2 1sts and 2 2nds

When I trade up into the top 10 in mock drafts, it always takes this year's and next year's 1st and 2nd to get it done.....typically, you can do it with Buffalo's 2nd next year instead of Minnesota's 2nd next year, which would be obviously a more ideal scenario.

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

That’s more then we paid for our franchise QB 

Well the move up was less. Think the Bills had pick 15 before they traded with the Bucs (they got from the Bengals). 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ran a 4.41 while sick. 

Strange fruit, these "experts" are.

I was under the impression he ran a slow 40 time at the combine, 4.41 is more than fast enough for me. Maybe it was Coleman 40 time I got him confused with

7 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Well the move up was less. Think the Bills had pick 15 before they traded with the Bucs (they got from the Bengals). 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

There is NO player other than a QB that I would trade all those picks for.  None.  The 28th, 60th and 2025 1st should be three starters, and 128-160-163 collectively have a good chance of being a fourth starter.   There is practically no way that the guy you get at 9 could be more valuable than the combined value of four starters.  

No pick is guaranteed to be a starter 

Picks are just more lottery tickets

If you believe you can trade a few in for the best shot at the best prize, then maybe it's worth it.

Not saying I am for it or against it, but I can see why a team might make the move

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I know people love their lottery tickets (draft picks), and it appears this site has no shortage of them. But, personally I'd love to watch Josh throwing to a group of receivers led by this dude. Sorry all you fill every depth spot needers, sometimes you go big or go home. A true daily double may be what it takes to have an offense that gets it done in the playoffs.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m all for moving up and getting a stud WR , but to give up this year’s almost entire draft capital and next year’s 1st is insane , especially in a draft that is supposedly loaded at WR , 

Exactly, that's why I asked if he's Mike Ditka...it's a lot...and we still have holes

15 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I know people love their lottery tickets (draft picks), and it appears this site has no shortage of them. But, personally I'd love to watch Josh throwing to a group of receivers led by this dude. Sorry all you fill ever depth spot needers, sometimes you go big or go home. A true daily double may be what it takes to have an offense that gets it done in the playoffs.

This is the last time I'll say this for a while, after having said it a thousand times this offseason: I'm sick of no other difference makers stepping up for the Bills in big playoff moments. I'm sick of the Bills hitting singles and doubles in the draft, but never home runs.

I'm ready to swing for the fences and try to add a potential superstar to this team. I'm ready to see Rome Odunze catch a toe-tapping, game winning touchdown to beat the Chiefs and advance to the AFCCG, and I don't mind losing out on a safety and a couple backup d-linemen in order to make it happen.

I know I won't win any new converts to my way of thinking, but I'm not feeling at all risk averse this year. Bring on the risk. Bring on a blue chipper. Let's do this thing.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Beane remembers what it was like to only have Cole Beasley and John Brown and knows you need a stud out there to just be a difference maker..  Diggs while great in the regular season, did not perform when it mattered in the playoffs.

I think BTJ would fit in perfectly with this team and play to Josh's strengths..    

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I know people love their lottery tickets (draft picks), and it appears this site has no shortage of them. But, personally I'd love to watch Josh throwing to a group of receivers led by this dude. Sorry all you fill ever depth spot needers, sometimes you go big or go home. A true daily double may be what it takes to have an offense that gets it done in the playoffs.

Yep. Bills don't have enough elite talent on this team. 

A lot of good players, but not elite players outside of Josh.

If beane thinks Odunze or Nabers is gonna be a pro bowler for the next 5-8 years, go get him

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Special K said:

I really like the "Big 3" WR's......especially Odunze, but giving up 28, 60, next year's 1st and 2nd to do it is a tough pill to swallow.

For Odunze, I’d do it in a heartbeat. He’s a special dude. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

If beane thinks Odunze or Nabers is gonna be a pro bowler for the next 5-8 years, go get him

It will cost next years first and both seconds. And probably pick 60 in this draft.   

When you are retooling like we are I’m not sure you SHOULD do that.

But if you’re the Bears at 9 - do you do that?  

Maybe.  But I doubt it.  

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

It’s always been that way believe it or not.

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That isn’t what he is saying. He’s saying that you draft players for what they can provide over at least the next four years, not just in season one. Basically draft for the long term, not short term. That’s what smart teams do. 

The first sentence is saying you should not draft based on need, but you should get that in a FA. Then are you saying that you really didn’t “need” that player that has been providing their service for the last 4 years? It’s the first sentence that is the horrible take. You obviously need to draft based on need. Beane does it with his 1st/2nd round picks each year. Is he wrong?

Edited by Saint Doug

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It will cost next years first and both seconds. And probably pick 60 in this draft.   

When you are retooling like we are I’m not sure you SHOULD do that.

But if you’re the Bears at 9 - do you do that?  

Maybe.  But I doubt it.  

Until recently, I had been in the "take who's there or even move back and increase chances of a hit by picking multiple receivers."  However, I am starting to come around on the swing for the fences idea.  Next year's first and second sounds like a lot, but here's what is making it an easier pill for me to swallow.  If you think, as I do, that Minnesota is gonna stink this year, you can hang on to their second and give away ours.  That means that if you factor in what we got for Diggs, we are only moving back a few spots.  Also, because we have taken on Diggs' cap hit this year, it should free up some money to use to fill a hole or two next year (like signing a center or safety).  I think we'd be okay giving up those high picks.  Number 60 is tough though, particularly considering we got hosed by the NFL on what we thought was going to be a third round comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

No pick is guaranteed to be a starter 

Picks are just more lottery tickets

If you believe you can trade a few in for the best shot at the best prize, then maybe it's worth it.

Not saying I am for it or against it, but I can see why a team might make the move

To give up that many picks for a WR says that our  roster is pretty much set at every position , and all we need is  a stud WR to put you over the top , 

I wish that was the case but we all know that’s true 

1 hour ago, Monty98 said:

Who did we draft in 2015...I wish I knew we could trade previous bad picks away! Damnnn aha.

No 1st round (traded for Sammy Watkins prior year) - can we get that one back?

2nd round Ronald Darby - Beane and McDermott traded him away for Jordan Matthews and a 2018 3rd rounder - he is actually a pretty decent player, has struggled with injuries (2 ACLs and a hip) but played for the Ravens last season and just signed a 2-year with Jax, still in the league

3rd round John Miller - we moved on from him after 2018, but I lean towards Juan Castillo was more the problem - he went on to start for the Bengals and Panthers before hanging up his cleats in 2022, which is OK mileage for a 3rd rounder

The rest of that draft - Yikes! and Yowza, yeah, if we could trade them away that's be good.

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Until recently, I had been in the "take who's there or even move back and increase chances of a hit by picking multiple receivers."  However, I am starting to come around on the swing for the fences idea.  Next year's first and second sounds like a lot, but here's what is making it an easier pill for me to swallow.  If you think, as I do, that Minnesota is gonna stink this year, you can hang on to their second and give away ours.  That means that if you factor in what we got for Diggs, we are only moving back a few spots.  Also, because we have taken on Diggs' cap hit this year, it should free up some money to use to fill a hole or two next year (like signing a center or safety).  I think we'd be okay giving up those high picks.  Number 60 is tough though, particularly considering we got hosed by the NFL on what we thought was going to be a third round comp pick.

I’m saying it’s going to cost both seconds next year.  They know our pick could be 55-64 range.  

It’s going to cost 4-5 high picks to get to 9.  

And we won’t see a first or second round pick again until 2026 barring trading in.  

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is the last time I'll say this for a while, after having said it a thousand times this offseason: I'm sick of no other difference makers stepping up for the Bills in big playoff moments. I'm sick of the Bills hitting singles and doubles in the draft, but never home runs.

I'm ready to swing for the fences and try to add a potential superstar to this team. I'm ready to see Rome Odunze catch a toe-tapping, game winning touchdown to beat the Chiefs and advance to the AFCCG, and I don't mind losing out on a safety and a couple backup d-linemen in order to make it happen.

I know I won't win any new converts to my way of thinking, but I'm not feeling at all risk averse this year. Bring on the risk. Bring on a blue chipper. Let's do this thing.

You know, i was the biggest supporter of just letting the board fall to us and see what's left, but i'm leaning towards swinging for the fences this year. I mean, what we've been doing hasn't been working to get us over the hump, so let's try something different.

Here's what i'm thinking.......i think i would rather swing for the fences or swing for that homerun and have a miss, than not swing at all or just go after middle of the road, mediocre and take no step forward in the team's progression.

Stagnant is stagnant, no matter how you cut it.

We gotta elevate this team to the next level and that's why i'm kind of leaning a little more to making a splash this draft.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I think Beane remembers what it was like to only have Cole Beasley and John Brown and knows you need a stud out there to just be a difference maker..  Diggs while great in the regular season, did not perform when it mattered in the playoffs.

I think BTJ would fit in perfectly with this team and play to Josh's strengths..    

I hope Beane remembers that.

I want Beane to be aggressive in this draft and move up to the top 10. I figured I also need to be aggressive to send waves of support to Big Baller Beane. Therefore, I am drinking an Apple Crisp Mead. 

• Like (+1) 1