Legette vs. McConkey

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've considered this as well. Last year I liked Jalin Hyatt as a potential 1st round pick for us and instead he went in the 3rd. WRs with that sort of frame tend to fall further than draftniks predict.

I think only 5 go in the first but I do believe there will be a 2nd round run on guys. 

I have all 6 QBs 

5 WRs

11 OL

4 DL

5 DBs 

1 TE

McConkey only lined up in the slot 25% of his college snaps if my memory serves.  

I’m a Dawg fan so I’m partial to Ladd, but I’m taking Mitchell above Ladd, Worthy, Coleman, Franklin or Legette. I love AD’s combo of size and speed.  I also like his ability to make the big play, 11 TDs last year and 5 TDs in 5 CFP games.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I just watched McConkey’s college highlights, and can’t stop seeing a slightly versatile slot receiver. I want to see what others are seeing, but I don’t get it. The college highlights look strikingly similar to a Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel type player. We don’t have a need for that. I appreciate the fact he lined up on the outside, but that’s college. The NFL is a huge step up, and I don’t see a guy with the physicality to play on the outside consistently. Our greatest hope is finding a Metcalf, Lamb, or AJ Brown type player. Someone who can dominate physically, while giving Josh a downfield threat. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just struggle seeing this in McConkey. He looks like a slot receiver twig figure running down the field. 

I think he can play the Diggs' role. You'd still need to get a big X. I have advocated for McConkey and a trade up from 60 for Legette. Naturally, you're free to draw your own conclusions and advocate for whatever you like. If you think you only need one receiver to add to the WR group (I don't,) then a big trade up for Odunze is probably the best you could do if focused on the kind of boundary receiver you are looking for.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

McConkey only lineup in the slot 25% of his college snaps if my memory serves.  

I’m a Dawg fan so I’m partial to Ladd, but I’m taking Mitchell above Ladd, Worthy, Coleman, Franklin or Legette. I love AD’s combo of size and speed.  I also like his ability to make the big play, 11 TDs last year and 5 TDs in 5 CFP games.

I know for whatever reason, you don't normally respond to anything I write, but the questions on Mitchell are about his effort, his diabetes, etc. I can't answer how much of that is manageable, real, etc. I do like him.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

know for whatever reason, you don't normally respond to anything I write, but the questions on Mitchell are about his effort, his diabetes, etc. I can't answer how much of that is manageable, real, etc. I do like him.

I’ve got nothing. ;)

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

McConkey only lined up in the slot 25% of his college snaps if my memory serves.  

Excited Best Friends GIF by Gogglebox Australia

I want a guy who can fight through the “sticky” playoff coverage. 

We’ve tried the little nimble guys and precision route separators. Seem to disappear every year. 

That’s why I’m on Legette. I want to see us try something different. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he can play the Diggs' role. You'd still need to get a big X. I have advocated for McConkey and a trade up from 60 for Legette. Naturally, you're free to draw your own conclusions and advocate for whatever you like. If you think you only need one receiver to add to the WR group (I don't,) then a big trade up for Odunze is probably the best you could do if focused on the kind of boundary receiver you are looking for.

I know for whatever reason, you don't normally respond to anything I write, but the questions on Mitchell are about his effort, his diabetes, etc. I can't answer how much of that is manageable, real, etc. I do like him.

As a type 1 diabetic it's easy to control these thanks to pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems. Granted I'm not running routes etc which can impact sugars quicker than normal but one can carb up purposely to help avoid lows. People questioning effort don't watch enough football to realize all guys don't go balls to the walls on every down. My issue with McConkey is he doesn't beat people with pure speed but seem to make moves to avoid getting hit etc which great in the return game but as a receiver I worry as he struggled with injuries in college what's going to happen when the big guys start hitting him. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Could you guys convince me that McConkey is this good? He seems to be LOVED by the board, with no negatives by my account. 

What makes him such a strong WR in general? If he’s good, he’s good, and of course he’d be a hit for the Bills, even if he isn’t a WR1, which we’d still be looking for if drafted. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

love the idea of Cowing.  Also like the Fla WR as a 2nd round guy if we get Legette first.  I think Cowing may go earlier than some of the mock draft sims have him going.  I could see late 2nd, early 3rd.  

He’s one of my favorite prospects!! I like Pearsall a lot too.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I want a guy who can fight through the “sticky” playoff coverage. 

We’ve tried the little nimble guys and precision route separators. Seem to disappear every year. 

That’s why I’m on Legette. I want to see us try something different. 

THIS x 10000000.  Only exception is Worthy because if he’s in motion that won’t matter

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a tough question for me. I’d love to answer “both.” Legette has the higher ceiling IMO. McConkey certainly has the higher floor. I think McConkey will be better in 2024 because he’s more refined at this point.

The answer is that you actually need BOTH of those skill sets still on this team. If forced to choose, I’ll say Legette because what he has is harder to teach. I can find a guy a little later, albeit smaller, but that also separates in Jacob Cowing. I think that it’s easier to find good footwork than it is to find that size/speed combination.

it’s also cheaper/easier to find a lunch pail guy than an elite traits guy in free agency 

Also- I swear I meant that as a hard working technician of the game and not as a white guy

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Could you guys convince me that McConkey is this good? He seems to be LOVED by the board, with no negatives by my account. 

What makes him such a strong WR in general? If he’s good, he’s good, and of course he’d be a hit for the Bills, even if he isn’t a WR1, which we’d still be looking for if drafted. 

He does have negatives. As the Jokeman indicated, McConkey has battled injuries, so concerns about durability are not ridiculous. And he's not a great receiver in traffic, though he runs such savage routes that he normally creates a lot of space. The big 3 at the top of the draft have high floors and high ceilings, though no one is without risk. After that, everyone has something to worry about for sure. In addition, lots of folks in this thread think McConkey is just another slot receiver. We don't need more of those, frankly, but I don't think that's what he is. In the old nomenclature, he's a flanker.

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s also cheaper/easier to find a lunch pail guy than an elite traits guy in free agency 

Also- I swear I meant that as a hard working technician of the game and not as a white guy

I think McConkey has some elite traits. The gritty slot/lunch pail thing annoys me. I think he's more the Fred Astaire of wide receivers. He's smooth, and at the same time can break a route off with violence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think McConkey has some elite traits. The gritty slot/lunch pail thing annoys me. I think he's more the Fred Astaire of wide receivers. He's smooth, and at the same time can break a route off with violence.

Lance Alworth comes to mind.  I would be very happy with McConkey.  I suspect we'll pass on him if he's still available and then deeply regret that we didn't take him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He’s white???

throwing-papers-im-done.gif

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Mitchell’s yac was horrendous and he’s kind of clumsy looking in his route running and catching. He could be great but he could also be the bust of the group. I stay away 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Lance Alworth comes to mind.  I would be very happy with McConkey.  I suspect we'll pass on him if he's still available and then deeply regret that we didn't take him.

Yep - we pass on him, kc takes him and he averages 110 catches the next 10 years

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Mitchell’s yac was horrendous and he’s kind of clumsy looking in his route running and catching. He could be great but he could also be the bust of the group. I stay away 

How many times did you see him play in person?  I went to most of his games at UGA and YAC, separation, route running, and effort were never a problem.  How much YAC do you get when you make great catches in the end zone.    This kid might be a little raw, but he'll be a very good NFL player.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

How many times did you see him play in person?  I went to most of his games at UGA and YAC, separation, route running, and effort were never a problem.  How much YAC do you get when you make great catches in the end zone.    This kid might be a little raw, but he'll be a very good NFL player.  

Eye test (you) vs analytics - what all the analysts are saying……

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

McConkey is absolutely a volume receiver year one. You don't know what you are talking about. Also, I don't think "dissident" means what you think it means.

Autocorrected disappointment. And if you follow the thread you will see I support McConkey over legette. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

We've got Curtis Samuel and Shakir already working the slot.  

What is this infatuation with McConkey?

Because he's not just a slot guy, he's also a boundary wide receiver and he is the best route runner in this draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Because he's not just a slot guy, he's also a boundary wide receiver and he is the best route runner in this draft.

The best route runner?  According to who?  

We need an X guy and Ladd isn't that.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He is not the best route runner in the draft. If the argument was he is the best route runner outside the top 3.... I could buy that. Of that next group: Thomas, Legette, Mitchell, McConkey and Worthy - which it does seem is increasingly seen as the consensus next cluster - Ladd is the best route runner in terms of precision route running. 

• Agree 1

McConkey injury history worries me.  He just seemed more effective at screens and slot play.  I just don't think we need this type of player.

Legette all the way.  He fits what we need to almost perfection.

• Like (+1) 1

I gotta say, if we are talking first round pick between these two, its Legette for me.

His size and speed combo has the potential to be one of the top wr in the game. That one play he has against Miss St where he just blows by everyone for a 70 yd td, a guy that big that can move like that has to be accounted for by the defense and would allow us to dictate to them

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

According to some people who give opinions.  🙃

And I don't believe in the old way of thinking that teams need to have a traditional x, y, z receivers.

The game evolves, it's about matchups and I like the idea of having interchangeable parts on the offense where guys can perform each of the functions, which Samuels, Shakir and in this case Ladd could do.

The bottom line for me is who is going to be able to perform at a high level in the pros and I believe Ladd is the better answer.  With that said, if the Bills select Legette, I will be happy with that pick as well.  I love his speed, power and explosive playmaking ability.  I just am a bit more unsure of him having a good NFL career, I think his boom bust potential is higher than Ladd's, with that said, he could end up becoming a more explosive Eric Moulds sort of guy.    I'd be happy with either.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sure he's the best route runner of all WR's but analytics does say he creates better separation than any other wr.  Supposedly Buffalo has on last meeiting with Legette, last night, so he may be their target at 28, if the don't move up.  I think it's him or Worthy

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I'm not sure he's the best route runner of all WR's but analytics does say he creates better separation than any other wr.  Supposedly Buffalo has on last meeiting with Legette, last night, so he may be their target at 28, if the don't move up.  I think it's him or Worthy

Where did you see that?

What do people think McConkey’s ceiling is?

This is my hang up with the kid. I think he’s gonna be a good pro. Will be a guy with a defined role but also has some versatility. But will he ever be a top 10 WR? Maybe once or twice statistically. But will he ever be upper echelon elite? Imo, never.

I could see him being the second or third most productive rookie. Which is nice. But will he ever be an NFL offensive focal point?

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

What do people think McConkey’s ceiling is?

This is my hang up with the kid. I think he’s gonna be a good pro. Will be a guy with a defined role but also has some versatility. But will he ever be a top 10 WR? Maybe once or twice statistically. But will he ever be upper echelon elite? Imo, never.

I could see him being the second or third most productive rookie. Which is nice. But will he ever be an NFL offensive focal point?

I think the Diggs comp someone else made is too strong for my blood. Could definitely see him being a Tyler Lockett type, who had a few seasons where he was a borderline top 10-12 guy.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:46 AM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Curious - if you had to chose between Legette and McConkey at 28 -- who do you take?  

Personally I take McConkey (but I really like Legette too).  My thinking is -- McConkey is may be the best separator in the draft.  If a receiver can separate Josh will find him (as he found Beasly).  After Harrison and Odumze, other than Legette, there are not big-bodied X's I truly love.  I like Thomas, but I assume he is gone (and he is not really a size match-up problem).  I don't trust Mitchell or Franklin, do not like Coleman or Walker.  I would take McConkey and be sure to get Brendan Rice later.  While he has some limitations, all scouting reports seem to say that the 6'4" Rice has elite acceleration and can really take the top off.  Having an X that can do that would be great.  Shakir and McConkey can be really strong mixed through as the Z and slot.  Both of them can get deep as well.

Personally,  I would take McConkey, Defense at 60, move up from 128 to get Rice and spend the rest of my picks on defense (save maybe an IOL and very late RB (like pick 248)).

Thoughts?

If McConkey is like Beasley then he should be a must for Josh because even though there are those here that hated Bease because he spoke his mind but he was definitely a very dependable WR for Josh .

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, T master said:

If McConkey is like Beasley then he should be a must for Josh because even though there are those here that hated Bease because he spoke his mind but he was definitely a very dependable WR for Josh .

He like Beasley with more speed 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Where did you see that?

Reception perception I believe. 

• Like (+1) 1

I want McConkey and Legette. I think you need a movement Z and an X. 

If I have to choose, I'll take McConkey and find another X. I'd take Mitchell, for example, even with his question marks.

But I suspect Beane is going to pay the price to move up for Thomas if he has to. Maybe he falls a bit, as some recent mocks appear to anticipate.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I want McConkey and Legette. I think you need a movement Z and an X. 

If I have to choose, I'll take McConkey and find another X. I'd take Mitchell, for example, even with his question marks.

But I suspect Beane is going to pay the price to move up for Thomas if he has to. Maybe he falls a bit, as some recent mocks appear to anticipate.

Beane will try to move up, no doubt. He already is trying.  If a guy falls even a bit that they like, we know Beane's track record.

That said, I think this WR class is so deep, better to trade back and get two guys

9 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Beane will try to move up, no doubt. He already is trying.  If a guy falls even a bit that they like, we know Beane's track record.

That said, I think this WR class is so deep, better to trade back and get two guys

I'm not opposed to that. I guess it also depends on if they have a group of players with similar ratings. My inclination would be to take a fella at 28 that I liked (bird in hand,) then try and trade up from 60 for the other WR. (I'd be willing to use a 2025 second to do so.)

I have no idea why so much love for McConkey.

I mean, he was good in college, in college schemes as a gadget guy, but i don't know how that equates into our needs on the team. If we were looking for a smaller slot guy, then yeah, maybe pick McConkey but that's not what we're looking for.

And i pray to Christ that if Beane has never heard me before, i hope he's hearing me now that we can surely do better than McConkey can't we?........which i know he isn't listening cause at the end of the day, who am i?

I have problems.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1