Does Beane have a trade with Schoen Lined Up???

cbatl32

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

This brings bad memories of Watkins.  We moved up for him and the following players were drafter after:  Evans, OBJ. Adams (2nd rd), Robinson, and a bunch more with better career.  I am not opposed to moving up a few rungs to get the guy you want but don’t mortgage the future.  Think how much fun draft next year will be without a first or second

Yep, a little PTSD. In 2014 the Bills drafted Sammy Watkins 4th overall. They traded the 9th overall pick plus their next year's 1st and 4th rounders (19th and 115th overall).

There've been other instances of teams packaging picks to trade up for a WR. Julio Jones comes to mind:

"The Atlanta Falcons selected Jones with the sixth overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft despite already having Pro Bowl receiver Roddy White. Jones became the earliest drafted wide receiver in franchise history for the Falcons. The Falcons traded five draft picks to the Cleveland Browns to move up into their spot and take Jones, giving up their 27th, 59th, and 124th picks from the 2011 Draft, and their first and fourth-round picks from the 2012 NFL draft."

In retrospect that was a crazy aggressive move.

https://gmenhq.com/posts/this-giants-bills-trade-josh-allen-would-rock-nfl-before-draft-night-01htj9k4bpsj

This is a writer for the Gmen and the "article" is hilarious. He thinks the talent gap from Josh to Daniel Jones could be covered by 2 1st rounders. He also thinks we would want Daniel Jones, which I would rather roll with Trubisky regardless of cost. Lastly the salary cap impact could not be dealt with even if we wanted to trade him. 

2 hours ago, nosejob said:

I would gladly give the Giants next yrs 1st for 47, pick 70 and 166.  WIN/WIN

Gimme Ladd, Legette, Sweat and Maason Smith....then BPA

The reason I disagree is that last year we only had 4 picks stick around and 3 go play on other teams, we don't have the roster slots for all the players we should draft. Your player picks are fine but not enough roster slots.

50 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Aaron Kromer's daughter, commenting on Diggs trade, said this:  "Good riddance.  There's always a reason & always a plan.  #trusttheprocess"  

Since I saw that, I've wondered what the plan was.  I think it's very possible Beane already has a deal in place to trade up.  

Scorched earth.  

Most of our picks this year & next  

for Nabers & Brian Thomas Jr.

😈

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I said it before, but I feel like fans are hoping for a big splash to overcompensate for losing Diggs.

Remember what we gave up to the Vikings to get Diggs? We'd have to give up even more to move so far up in the draft. Even though Diggs did well for us, had we been more confident & drafted well, we could've stayed put & drafted Justin Jefferson ourselves.

And to make this kind of trade for a WR? That wreaks of desperation.

Look at what the Chiefs traded us to move up to #10 & draft Mahomes... a guy who changed the destiny of their franchise & turned them into a dynasty. Do we think any of these WRs are THAT impactful that they could so something similar?

And are they going to be so absurdly good that they're more valuable than the 2 x 1st rounders, 2 x 2nd rounders and additional picks we could've drafted? As fun as it is to imagine one of those top 3 guys on our team, I don't think it's a smart move to mortgage so much of our future on that prospect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I said it before, but I feel like fans are hoping for a big splash to overcompensate for losing Diggs.

Remember what we gave up to the Vikings to get Diggs? We'd have to give up even more to move so far up in the draft. Even though Diggs did well for us, had we been more confident & drafted well, we could've stayed put & drafted Justin Jefferson ourselves.

Look at what the Chiefs traded us to move up to #10 & draft Mahomes... a guy who changed the destiny of their franchise & turned them into a dynasty. Do we think any of these WRs are THAT impactful that they could so something similar?

And are they going to be so absurdly good that they're more valuable than the 2 x 1st rounders, 2 x 2nd rounders and additional picks we could've drafted? As fun as it is to imagine one of those top 3 guys on our team, I don't think it's a smart move to mortgage so much of our future on that prospect.

I agree.  All the backward hat youtube guys and the what do you think of this mock...(aka look at me I need attention) twitter guys would give up everything for a wr.

I disagree completely with that.  IF randy moss was there and u knew u were getting randy moss I could understand...otherwise you are hurting the organization spending all your draft capital on one player.

Staying put or moving up a little or back a little is always the best move.   More than 10 spots seems to expensive to me and doesn't make much sense given the state of the defense.

Edited by MikePJ76

59 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Aaron Kromer's daughter, commenting on Diggs trade, said this:  "Good riddance.  There's always a reason & always a plan.  #trusttheprocess"  

Since I saw that, I've wondered what the plan was.  I think it's very possible Beane already has a deal in place to trade up.  

Or maybe he has a trade in place for an existing wide receiver on a team

• Like (+1) 2

As far as moving up I'm willing to give this year and next year's firsts and a 4 this year. If 1 of the big 3 wrs fall otherwise keep the picks and fill out the roster 

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I truly doubt we make any kind of move up to 6 but I would definitely use some of our plethora of picks to move up in the second to get a good recovery there.

Bills will find two Wrs

and one who will start. If they are wise. And I think they are ahead of this matter.

No reaching please. Could strain something !

Steady as she goes Brandon :) 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't see us giving up that much draft capital.

Agreed.  The Bills need to get younger and cheaper at many positions to keep their salary cap numbers down.  The draft is the best place to find that and the Bills have plenty of draft picks this year.  I don't think the Bills will mortgage the future like that for a WR.   Plus the talent pool is so deep at WR that they can still find the great ones at the end of the 1st round.

Just now, ganesh said:

Agreed.  The Bills need to get younger and cheaper at many positions to keep their salary cap numbers down.  The draft is the best place to find that and the Bills have plenty of draft picks this year.  I don't think the Bills will mortgage the future like that for a WR.   Plus the talent pool is so deep at WR that they can still find the great ones at the end of the 1st round.  

Plus the Bills have studs in James Cook and Kincaid.  And Shakir always comes to the party and this could be his big year. 

I 100% believe Beane has a plan in place that involves trading our 1st or 2nd next year. If Odunze or Nabors falls to 10 then I could see them making a play there. If not I firmly believe they are prepared to part with a 2nd next year to move into teens for Thomas Jr. Beane didn’t acquire that 2nd next year and plan to not use it this year when they now have a need at WR and in a great WR class. He’s using it to move up his year. Either to move up in the first round or gain a 2nd pick in the second round. Bank on it. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, cbatl32 said:

I was just thinking about how Beane wouldn't have traded Diggs without a plan in place.  I started thinking that would be very difficult because it's hard to know who will be available even if we traded up to pick 9 with the Bears.  No guarantee that the top 3 WRs would even be still on the board.  But.....what if Beane and Schoen already have a deal for the 6 pick?  If you think about it, Schoen was here when we traded the 10th pick (Mahomes sigh) for the 27th pick and a first the next year.  And we used that to get Josh.  Schoen knows he needs a QB but doesn't really have the chance to get one of the top 4 this year without mortgaging the future.  

So what if Schoen is looking to acquire extra ammo for 2025 draft so they can move up next year for their "Josh Allen".  We could package something like this year's first, fourth and fifth, plus our first and Minnesota's second next year.  That would be pretty close in value on the Rich Hill chart.  It would still allow NYG to grab a top WR at 28, pick up some extra picks this year, but then have two 1s and a very high 2 next year to get their QB.

Am I crazy for thinking that they may have already discussed/agreed on something like this?  It would basically ensure we get one of Nabors/MHJ/Odunze.

I don't see Beane giving up that much draft capital for a WR.

4 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Just stop with the "move up to 6" or even top ten. We have way too many holes to fill and beaner won't waste all our picks for a rookie WR.

There were 4 WR's taken in the 1st round last year:

900 yards

800yards

600 yards

400 yards.

Good numbers, but not trading my whole draft for that. 

Then factor in that the order they were drafted in was 600, 400, 800, 900....and a more productive WR was drafted in Round 2

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Take a gander at who the Browns drafted with their Julio Jones haul. Atlanta won that trade by a LONG shot

4 hours ago, cbatl32 said:

i never said I wanted this. I’m speculating as to whether or not Beane might want to do this and possibly had it arranged before he traded Diggs. 

While I’m sure Beane is investigating all options and will do his best to fill the hole opened by Diggs’ departure. I don’t think it went down with a master plan though. Diggs had wanted out for some time and things were at a breaking point. It is what it is. Beane will manage the situation as best he can. 

It won't happen unless Beane would try to pull a Ditka & give away most every pick to get up that far, from anything i've heard from those that know much more than i about the values of draft positions to get up that high is WAY to expensive in draft capital !

Nice fantasy but it's not going to happen !! Bet on it .

6 minutes ago, T master said:

It won't happen unless Beane would try to pull a Ditka & give away most every pick to get up that far, from anything i've heard from those that know much more than i about the values of draft positions to get up that high is WAY to expensive in draft capital !

Nice fantasy but it's not going to happen !! Bet on it .

It could be possible to get #6 for   28, 128, 2025 1st, 2nd, 4th 

We'd get Nabers and still have our 2nd, a 4th and bunch of later picks this year and a 2nd, 3rd next year

Not exactly a devastating price 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It could be possible to get #6 for   28, 128, 2025 1st, 2nd, 4th 

We'd get Nabers and still have our 2nd this year and a 2nd, 3rd next year

Not exactly a devastating price 

2 number 1's and all what you put seems to be a lot . I'm not saying that Beane won't do it but if he does that would be epic for sure ...

5 minutes ago, T master said:

2 number 1's and all what you put seems to be a lot . I'm not saying that Beane won't do it but if he does that would be epic for sure ...

I never understand why it's viewed as "2 number 1's"  to make it seem more expensive

You aren't giving up 2 future 1sts.    You're moving a 1st this year to get a higher 1st in return 

what you are losing is a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th

Maybe NYG counters with   1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th    and we counter with them giving us an additional pick 

• Agree 1

I don't have a clue in my simple brain as to what Beane should/will do. He has something up his sleeve. All I know is if we keep the #2 from Houston, I will be praying for Minnesota to hit the bottom next year. A high 30's - low 40's pick in 2025 will keep me happy. In Beane we trust.

20 hours ago, cbatl32 said:

Schoen knows he needs a QB but doesn't really have the chance to get one of the top 4 this year without mortgaging the future.  

they are at pick six, they don’t have to mortgage the future to move up 2-3 spots. 

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd give up that much draft capital for Malik Nabers in a heartbeat.

We'd still have a pick in the 4th and 5th round this year. Essentially, we'd still have a full slate of draft picks.

Then, next season, we'd still have a pick in the 2nd round, even after trading a 1st and 2nd.

I know its a divisive topic, and many are against the idea of moving up for a WR in a WR-heavy draft. I am not one of those people. Nabers and MHJ and Odunze are worth a big move.

I don't like giving up that many picks. These guys are great college players but you never know how they're going to perform in the Pros. Could turn out to be another Sammy Watkins deal.

Feel like it's pretty much not going to happen with NYG. 

If they want to replace Jones and a QB is there that they like, they are taking him.

If they don't want to replace Jones and a WR is there that they like, they are taking him.

Even if you offered the farm for the pick, all that means is that they get a bunch of picks with no immediate help for the team at QB or WR and Schoen and Daboll are out of a job if they don't produce with the guys that are left.

If they stay at the pick and take a QB, that give them a little flexibility for retaining their jobs.  Waiting until next year would be a huge L for them.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:21 PM, cbatl32 said:

I was just thinking about how Beane wouldn't have traded Diggs without a plan in place.  I started thinking that would be very difficult because it's hard to know who will be available even if we traded up to pick 9 with the Bears.  No guarantee that the top 3 WRs would even be still on the board.  But.....what if Beane and Schoen already have a deal for the 6 pick?  If you think about it, Schoen was here when we traded the 10th pick (Mahomes sigh) for the 27th pick and a first the next year.  And we used that to get Josh.  Schoen knows he needs a QB but doesn't really have the chance to get one of the top 4 this year without mortgaging the future.  

So what if Schoen is looking to acquire extra ammo for 2025 draft so they can move up next year for their "Josh Allen".  We could package something like this year's first, fourth and fifth, plus our first and Minnesota's second next year.  That would be pretty close in value on the Rich Hill chart.  It would still allow NYG to grab a top WR at 28, pick up some extra picks this year, but then have two 1s and a very high 2 next year to get their QB.

Am I crazy for thinking that they may have already discussed/agreed on something like this?  It would basically ensure we get one of Nabors/MHJ/Odunze.

But at pick 6 the top 3 might also be gone. Which makes this post moot.

On 4/4/2024 at 5:23 PM, Dillenger4 said:

Just stop with the "move up to 6" or even top ten. We have way too many holes to fill and beaner won't waste all our picks for a rookie WR.

There were 4 WR's taken in the 1st round last year:

900 yards

800yards

600 yards

400 yards.

Good numbers, but not trading my whole draft for that. 

If theyre not trading up for Harrison, you can get a more than capable guy at 28 or in the 2nd; the WRs are loaded. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a ton of 2nd and 3rds go in the top 60. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m willing to move 28, 60, next years 1st and next year 2nd if that’s gets us Nabers or Odunze.

Really conflicted on a trade up for Brian Thomas.

Would really like to keep the 2nd we got from Minny via Houston though.  If we invest in WR through the Draft, next year we might not have a 1, but should have a high 2 and cap space to spend for the first time in years. 

Giving up that much for an elite draft prospect is insane IMO.  You must don't know how any of those guys will play out as pros.

If you are going to give up a TON, do what we did when he got DIGGS.....get a guy who has proven exactly who he is at the NFL level but demands a high price.

I.E., find a way to get AIYUK, not a draftee.

That would be my preference if we are giving up the house.

There is no doubt, Beane is not done at WR.  He hasn't even started.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’m willing to move 28, 60, next years 1st and next year 2nd if that’s gets us Nabers or Odunze.

Really conflicted on a trade up for Brian Thomas.

Would really like to keep the 2nd we got from Minny via Houston though.  If we invest in WR through the Draft, next year we might not have a 1, but should have a high 2 and cap space to spend for the first time in years. 

I like Nabers the most of any wr.  I wouldn’t  be surprised if he goes before Harrison. 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:51 PM, mrags said:

I 100% believe Beane has a plan in place that involves trading our 1st or 2nd next year. If Odunze or Nabors falls to 10 then I could see them making a play there. If not I firmly believe they are prepared to part with a 2nd next year to move into teens for Thomas Jr. Beane didn’t acquire that 2nd next year and plan to not use it this year when they now have a need at WR and in a great WR class. He’s using it to move up his year. Either to move up in the first round or gain a 2nd pick in the second round. Bank on it. 

yea , he has been brewing up something in his Wizards Lair. You can see it manifesting already

I expect the second round might have some very very nice fits indeed. 

if they can get that for sure (lol) 5 year rookie to take over long term for Diggs ?By trading uphill ?

Well I suspect i will be pretty stoked about that player (WR lol)

But hope Bills can add picks in the second or third without giving away much.

pretty danged  Fun exciting this draft.

Vikings are pretty Scary exciting , for context

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Giving up that much for an elite draft prospect is insane IMO.  You must don't know how any of those guys will play out as pros.

If you are going to give up a TON, do what we did when he got DIGGS.....get a guy who has proven exactly who he is at the NFL level but demands a high price.

I.E., find a way to get AIYUK, not a draftee.

That would be my preference if we are giving up the house.

There is no doubt, Beane is not done at WR.  He hasn't even started.

You dont get off your Draft game discipline , unless you need That QB period

Okay maybe Harrison ...

next year Bills should have some decent FA money. This year ! Draft the future but wisely spending draft capital 😇

I love Nabers, but him being arrested for carrying a gun is a red flag. Beane would need 100% confidence something like that won’t happen again.  

Does MHJ have any red flags? 

I’d rather give up an extra 2nd to get up to #4 if we are going way up the board for a top 3 guy

On 4/4/2024 at 4:56 PM, billsfan89 said:

I don't see McBeane doing a massive trade up for a non-QB, and honestly I don't think trading up for a non-QB is worth it. The NFL draft is a complete crapshoot AND the NFL it's self is very volatile with injuries. You can pick the right players whose fantastic but then he gets seriously hurt and the chances he washes out is a lot higher. In order for the Bills to go from pick 28 to pick 6 it would probably require the Bills to give up picks 28, 60, 128 and a 1st and 3rd in next years draft. That's 5 selections in the first 4 rounds for one player that isn't a QB (as QB's are both franchise changers and can now play for a long period of time they are the only position worth trading up massively for). 

If you get Nabers at pick 6 and at a cost of a future 1st, 3rd, and picks 28, 60 and 128 that's 5 good draft picks wrapped up in one single player. If he is a bust or gets hurt you are sinking so much down the drain. Smaller trade ups I am fine with if Brian Thomas Jr falls to the pick 23/24 and they want to trade up I am fine with it. But don't mortgage a lot of two draft classes for a WR. 

I have to agree. Don't give up the draft picks we have for maybe draft choice.  This is a rebuilding year regardless what the media and Bills say.  Losing Diggs, Gabe Davis, Mitch Morris, Poyer, Hyde, Floyd and more tell the story.