And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So this thread title is confusing to me...is there anything actually linking us to Aiyuk interest?  Title reads like we are, but I don't see any news about it anywhere.  

Not aware of any, but in light of the Diggs trade, it's certainly logical that we would be interested...

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

Thanks.  It has been posted elsewhere that he would cost only $7 million this year...could we extend him and lower his cap hit this year?

Nah he is $14.1m this year. We could extend him and lower the hit.... but you can only do that once he is on your roster.... and to get him on your roster you need the space to take on the contract in the first place.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Nah he is $14.1m this year. We could extend him and lower the hit.... but you can only do that once he is on your roster.... and to get him on your roster you need the space to take on the contract in the first place.

Well, the good news is that that should dampen the trade market for him...although there are plenty of teams out there that could swallow that easily...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Could they restructure Allen's, Oliver's, and Milano's contracts to make it work?  The banana stand has a reputation to uphold.

Have they not done Oliver already? Thought they had. But yes that remains an option. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I guess we'll have to wait til June or maybe convince the Bengals to unfranchise Higgins, sign him to a one year deal on the cheap and then trade him to us. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I guess we'll have to wait til June or maybe convince the Bengals to unfranchise Higgins, sign him to a one year deal on the cheap and then trade him to us. 

No on Higgins.  He is a very good WR2 but wants top end WR1 money.  

What people keep forgetting is that this is a historically rich and deep WR draft.  You don't give up a lot ahead of this draft for a WR unless you are getting back an elite player.  Higgins is very good, but he isn't so good that you pass up having WR's on rookie deals for 4-5 years to overpay Higgins to be an underwhelming WR1.  

Just my 2 cents in regards to Higgins.  IMHO Aiyuk > Higgins and I would feel better about a trade for Aiyuk than Higgins.  Aiyuk I think can do what Diggs did here, reach a whole new level playing with Allen.  

Higgins reminds me of when Peerless Price got traded to the Falcons just to find out he was better suited as a top end WR2 next to another great WR and not really ever meant to be a WR1.  Higgins is probably a better player than Price, just using that example of a team that over paid both in trade compensation and contract for a guy who wasn't best suited to be the man.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What people keep forgetting is that this is a historically rich and deep WR draft.  You don't give up a lot ahead of this draft for a WR unless you are getting back an elite player.  Higgins is very good, but he isn't so good that you pass up having WR's on rookie deals for 4-5 years to overpay Higgins to be an underwhelming WR1.  

Just my 2 cents in regards to Higgins.  IMHO Aiyuk > Higgins and I would feel better about a trade for Aiyuk than Higgins.  Aiyuk I think can do what Diggs did here, reach a whole new level playing with Allen.  

Higgins reminds me of when Peerless Price got traded to the Falcons just to find out he was better suited as a top end WR2 next to another great WR and not really ever meant to be a WR1.  Higgins is probably a better player than Price, just using that example of a team that over paid both in trade compensation and contract for a guy who wasn't best suited to be the man.  

GunnerBill is right about Aiyuk's 2024 hit being 14, not 7. And totally agree that Aiyuk would be much better in this offense. 

Beane could probably make the cap space if the 9ers were willing, but the plan may be to lock up 2 wr's in this draft to have cost controlled players heading into, dare I say, the second half of Josh Allen's career. 

To me the question is, do they think k they have enough production with Kincaid, Samuels and Shakir to roll the dice on u proven talent vs trading draft capital for a proven commodity. 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

GunnerBill is right about Aiyuk's 2024 hit being 14, not 7. And totally agree that Aiyuk would be much better in this offense. 

Beane could probably make the cap space if the 9ers were willing, but the plan may be to lock up 2 wr's in this draft to have cost controlled players heading into, dare I say, the second half of Josh Allen's career. 

To me the question is, do they think k they have enough production with Kincaid, Samuels and Shakir to roll the dice on u proven talent vs trading draft capital for a proven commodity. 

Why don’t you just draft 2? There will be second round WR’s that could be late firsts in other years. 

That’s why I have no problem using a 2025 pick or two to move around a bit. The second most important position on offense is WR. We have the option to select two prospects that may have gone much higher next year. 

Would you trade a late second in 2025 to get a second round prospect in 2024 that would be a first round prospect in 2025? 

I think clearly, yes. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, securing a WR1 on a rookie deal for the next 4 to 5 years of Josh's prime would be such a major advantage right now for a team who has a highly paid QB.  I mean this may the best draft ever to be in the market for a WR, and no one says we can't draft 2 early either to double up on our chances to make sure we get a WR1.  

There is something to be said though for a "sure thing", a young known commodity.  But, that comes with a hefty price...it will maybe cost more both in acquisition cost (multiple premium picks potentially) and certainly massive difference in cap space in terms of compensation moving forward.  But, you also have the piece of mind your elite QB has weapons moving forward.  

For me, I think the only 2 players I would consider trading for and having to carry the expense of paying WR1 money moving forward is Justin Jefferson and Aiyuk.  If the Vikings were willing to take say our 28th pick in this draft and their 2nd back next year that we got in the Diggs trade (which was originally theirs), then you have to consider that.  Even though his contract will be huge, he is probably the best WR in the NFL right now and could be even better with Allen at QB.  Aiyuk is looking for a big deal too, if we say could get him for our 2nd this year and maybe a pick next year, its again something to consider although maybe not as tempting as Jefferson given Jefferson has already proven to be top 3 WR in the game, and arguably the best.  

I still prefer to stick to the draft and go get that stud on a cheap deal for these next 4 to 5 years because it will overall make our team better having so much more cap space available to build the rest of the roster.  This draft is maybe the best one ever to be looking for a WR and with 10 picks in this draft, they can certainly take more than 1.  There are guys who will go on day 3 that are going to be damn good WR's in the NFL.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

Yup draft 2 wrs early. Hope you hit on one to supplement Samuel, Shakir & Kincaid.  Then use all that extra cap money in 2025 to sign a younger fa wr.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Higgins does offer some size which we lack at the position, he might be a WR2 but if we end up signing him 4-5 years we can maybe draft a guy in the mid rounds to see if he develops into a WR1 or move him to WR2 if needed and make HIggins earn his check as a WR1. Yet I agree Ayiuk a better all around option but ultimately the draft best option long term. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have a bit more room to kick Allen's deal I think. But they have pulled almost every other lever they had to pull. 

I dont disagree but to land a top 15 receiver whose gonna be a top 15 for the duration of his contract I think you should do this. I can live with a double dip at 28 and 60 at receiver. I just much prefer cost certainty if at all possible. We don't know if the pick at 28 and 60 will be two Ocyrus torrence or two Cody Fords or one of each. By trading for Aiyuk we guarantee at least one Torrence. 

Even if we could afford it I wouldnt be interested. We already tried the route of trading a 1st for a WR1 instead of picking from a WR rich class. It undoubtedly went very well but we had to give him a big contract extension before long and now our cap is a mess. Plus now Allen is on a franchise QB contract which means we need to be stingier. This time around just take the best WR available with our first pick. Then take another one by the end of day two. And then next time a DeAndre Hopkins becomes available in free agency don't stupidly let him get away. We don't need some crazy blockbuster investment in the WR room. We just need to make a real effort to invest at the position every single year.

• Like (+1) 2

Is this speculation based on anything beyond speculation?  Is Aiyuk even on the trade block?  Has there been anything leaked to indicate we are even interested in him?

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is this speculation based on anything beyond speculation?  Is Aiyuk even on the trade block?  Has there been anything leaked to indicate we are even interested in him?

There have been rumors that Aiyuk wants a trade and that the 49ers have been entertaining offers. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115325-trade-packages-nfl-teams-should-be-offering-for-49ers-wr-brandon-aiyuk

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Draft a wide receiver and wait a few weeks after and there should be some good wide receiver options.

Hopefully draft more than 1 WR. But, yes, after 6.1 we'll have some extra money to spend

2 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

Assests aren't always proven commodities. Id rather have a proven commodity and attempt another asset at 28 instead of thinking a guy at 60 is gonna be a sure thing. For every Torrence there is two Cody Fords. 

$120 million Von blew out his knee.  That could happen to Aiuk.  I don’t like being against the cap, nor does Beane.  Give me two WR from the greatest WR draft ever.  Many sub 4.4 guys, big guys, great hands- whatever flavor WR you like is available.  Give me 2 WR from all time greatest class.  4 year rookie contracts.  Then we have $ to sign free agents, without giving up precious assets 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

$120 million Von blew out his knee.  That could happen to Aiuk.  I don’t like being against the cap, nor does Beane.  Give me two WR from the greatest WR draft ever.  Many sub 4.4 guys, big guys, great hands- whatever flavor WR you like is available.  Give me 2 WR from all time greatest class.  4 year rookie contracts.  Then we have $ to sign free agents, without giving up precious assets 

Using that logic no team should ever make a trade. 

However 

If the Bills want to trade up early in the 2nd Round to draft two of 

Xavier Worthy

Adonai Mitchell

Xaiver Legette

Keon Coleman

Ladd McConkey

Troy Franklin

maybe

Ja'Lynn Polk

Roman Wilson

With their 28 and early 2nd round pick. I'm all for that as well.

5 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

I'm not saying whether the Bills should pursue him or not but Aiyuk's definitely a number one... he relegated Deebo Samuel to number 2 and his already huge numbers from last year (75 receptions 1341 yards 17.6 YPR 7 TDs) would explode if he were to transition to Josh Allen from Brock Purdy.

Those who closely watch the Niners and the NFL know without a doubt that Aiyuk is a number one receiver.

He's just not yet a household name.

5 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Aiyuk is a beast and is a #1.

Undoubtedly.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm not saying whether the Bills should pursue him or not but Aiyuk's definitely a number one... he relegated Deebo Samuel to number 2 and his already huge numbers from last year (75 receptions 1341 yards 17.6 YPR 7 TDs) would explode if he were to transition to Josh Allen from Brock Purdy.

Those who closely watch the Niners and the NFL know without a doubt that Aiyuk is a number one receiver.

He's just not yet a household name.

Undoubtedly.

He’s a number 1 for sure. Dude is incredible. Projecting how he fits into our office is tough though coming from the much better Shanahan scheme where everyone is open every single play. But I’d give up a 1st for him now and not think twice. Tired of Josh not having weapons to work with. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't think the Bills would have to pay him big money right away.  It's part of what makes Aiyuk attractive, his first year here would be a reasonable salary.  The Bills could structure it for a multi-year contract with guaranteed money for later years.  The real benefit is the reduction of risk in the 2024 season.

I think the FO would really have to figure out Aiyuk's fit here though - culture/diva wise.  It's not a good look forcing his way out of SF and we just went through it.

Getting Rookies and penciling them in as pretty much WR1-ish is riskier than we have seen out of Beane in the past.  But if the Bills can do it and go with rookies it really transitions this team to a Josh lead juggernaut.  Getting the likes of McConkey/K Coleman/T Franklin/Legette would solidify Josh as the leader of this team and get the team with an offense that has a core that will be together for multiple years (Kincaid/Cook/Shakir/rookie WR).

Based on the things Aiyuk himself has said, I think the bolded is incorrect.

He wants to be paid big money, now. 

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It will be 80-100 million more expensive for next 4 years of Aiyuk though 

It'll be expensive for sure.

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

His contract is why he is available.  That would be part of the deal and possibly how they lower compensation.  His yard per catch and target are very high.  Would be a #1 on this offense and has big play ability.  

Yes. If he was happy with his contract he wouldn't be rumored to be going elsewhere.

2 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

You've been gifted a ton of cap space. Do something with it while 8 of your 11 offensive players are cost controlled. Knox can be released in 2026 and there is more money.

IM DONE WASTING ALLENS PRIME YEARS. That's all we did with Diggs. we surrounded him with subpar talent and it got us nowhere. You have a chance to load up the offensive roster. Freaking do it. 

How were the Bills gifted a ton of cap space?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes. If he was happy with his contract he wouldn't be rumored to be going elsewhere.

Gifted was the wrong word but Diggs now being gone and Von being released = 45 million in cap space in 2025. That's space most teams with a Josh Allen dont have. Besides Knox, what bad contract do the Bills have moving forward? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Listen, if everyone read more, posted less, and kept within the bounds of reason, this place would be a ghost town.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Motorin' said:

His salary is 7m this year. They can make room for that. Then the next three seasons we get almost 90mil back from Diggs being off the book.

Aiyuk’s salary is $14.1M this year. 

Would love to have him here and would support him getting paid, but it’s not feasible this year. 

Edited by BarleyNY

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

image.thumb.png.41681147d02fd65406098c2ecc3328a9.png

His YPC was an insane 17.9  this year.   How much is the system / how much is him?

If it's mostly his pure talent,  he could put up huge numbers here with more targets

I think he's a very talented player, It isn't like the 49ers are known for inflating QB stats. Last year they entered the year with Jimmy G and the QB position got so hurt they ended up with Purdy who was a 7th round rookie. This past season he excelled with Purdy a good not great QB who also had 3 other major targets to get the ball to (CMC out the backfield, Debo at WR and Kittle at TE) and Aiyuk still put up a career year. 

That all being said I think Aiyuk is not in play. Even if the Bills were willing to give up the draft picks I don't see how they can manage the cap hit. I think McBeane is retooling this team in 2024 they have 11 draft picks and likely are using a high pick on a WR. If they feel like that won't work they can make a in season trade or a trade/signing next year when Diggs is off the books and so is a lot of other dead cap. 

its pretty clear the team wants young affordable and controllable talent at the money positions. 

trading for a wr that needs a contract and has played through his rookie deal would not make sense.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

its pretty clear the team wants young affordable and controllable talent at the money positions. 

trading for a wr that needs a contract and has played through his rookie deal would not make sense.

It does when you just ripped 1900 receiving yds from your Franchise QB and have no outside receivers

4 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

It does when you just ripped 1900 receiving yds from your Franchise QB and have no outside receivers

by the time training camp starts they will have players capable of playing outside.  

This diggs trade is going to turn out great for buffalo.  Training camp is going to be so much fun.   No more drama and nothing but upside from young players all over the offense.   Whoever they draft does not have to replace Diggs that is the big misconception here.  The team is going to have all kinds of weapons.

I have always said this and will always say this, WR are not what wins you championships, being a physically and mentally tough football team  that can win on the road is what wins games.  The defense is what is and has been holding up this team in the post season.   I am not sure they have improved that this offseason and I am not sure McDermott is capable of it.

I have zero worries about the offense.  WR do not determine championships, if they did Steve Largent, Chris Carter, Tim Brown, Randy Moss, Julio Jones, Larry fitzgerald etc....would have the trophy case that Tom Brady, Bill Walsh, Chuck knoll etc... have.  The bills just need a good young player who fits in with the team and will do his job and be a part of the team.  I am already sick of hearing about replacing diggs production.

Some severe underrating of Aiyuk in this thread. He almost had 1400 yards last year. In my opinion it's an upgrade from Diggs. Hes just hitting his prime. He's a top 10 wr in the NFL right now.

• Agree 1

Rather have two young WRs than paying another big name at this point. I like Samuel and Shakir, just add more cheap potential at this point. D is different, no sense wasting money on big names if these guys can’t get the job done at this point either. 

Sign Beckham as a 1 yr incentive type deal/ veteran bandaid and draft two so they don't have to be completely thrown into fire. Or just throw em in. Cost controlled youth movement guy here🖐️ lol. Next year use the Diggs money for one of the top free agent pass rushers and this train keeps rolling just fine. 

People are soon to forget what happened with Sammy Watkins. We only moved up only 5 spots and gave up the following year’s 1st and a 4th. And he was basically a bust. Everyone panned Whaley for this move. Now, fast forward to 2024 and we are talking about trading an even higher number of picks for an unproven player. We can’t afford to experiment. Go after a proven player. 

Just now, Saint Doug said:

People are soon to forget what happened with Sammy Watkins. We only moved up only 5 spots and gave up the following year’s 1st and a 4th. And he was basically a bust. Everyone panned Whaley for this move. Now, fast forward to 2024 and we are talking about trading an even higher number of picks for an unproven player. We can’t afford to experiment. Go after a proven player. 

Maybe if DOUG had done more homework he would have discovered some red flags about Sammy 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Proven players cost $$$. Do the Bills have the money to spend. I know they are trying to fix their cap situation, but I thought it would be next offseason where they will have money to spend not this one.

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

The Watkins situation is ancient history. It’s not pertinent to the current one at all. Besides, imagine if we had Josh when we drafted him. Probably a very different result.