Beane Press Conference 4pm

Process

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is going to go after a WR early...and he has always been aggressive to get what he wants and needs.  That does not mean it will be at 28.  Would not surprise me to see us trade back and try and add another 3rd and then double dip on WR's with one off the small trade back and use one of the 3rds on another promising prospect.  

As aggressive as he was when he drafted Elam? 

You can't always find a draft day partner that marries value and need for you.  As you say the pecking order of 5-11 could all be off the board by the time #28 comes up in round 2.  

BTW, did I miss something - last I checked we don't currently have a 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont get me wrong, I am all for a WR.  But here is the reality...after you get past MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas...the next 7 are all lumped together and everyone has a different opinion of the pecking order from 5-11...and that is most often made up of:  Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Pearsall, Franklin, and Worthy.  Then there are guys outside of them that many people have listed inside the top 10 still.  

Point is, it is what Beane and the Bills scouting staff have as draft grades.  How many of the guys outside the big 4 does he have a first round grade on?  As fans, sure there are guys we would take, but most those same fans are looking at it from WR or nothing mindset.  

For example, Legette is talked about by some as the 4th or 5th best WR prospect...most have him between 8 and 10...and still some more have him in the teens.  He is a guy that could sneak into the 1st round and a guy that could fall to us in the 2nd.  If Beane sees him as a mid 2nd guy, he isn't taking him at 28 and literally said so today, same he has always said as well.  

Another example, I really like McConkey and I think he could be one of the best WR's to come out of this draft 5 years from now.  BUT...do the Bills see him as a first rounder?  Is he the style of WR they are targeting?  Lots of question marks when it comes down to what WR's Beane will have on his board he is grading high enough to take 28.

So...don't get me wrong, I am all in on getting a WR, even on board trading up to get one.  Just saying, if Beane can get a higher graded player at 28 then still land one of Mitchell, McConkey, Legette, Coleman, Franklin, Worthy, Pearsall, etc in the 2nd then that would be a great move still too.  

I understand, and of course, they are professionals and have data we do not possess. Strangely enough, sometimes fans are right and the pros are wrong.

So, I don't know what his board looks like, but I think they should be aiming at maybe 2 WRs early. I can't see another position that now clearly has priority. 

I live near Athens. I've been saying McConkey is special, and I'm sticking with it. Get an X like Mitchell or Legette, too. Personally, I'd be fine with any of them at #28, and I have a feeling at least some real NFL boards have them higher than what folks see on the simulators.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I don't think that's accurate by a long shot. Or, if it is, you have to look at NET difference which is we take on an extra 3 million but clear like 27 million next year.

With a stud in the draft, I'll do that any day.

Here's the numbers, its reality.

DEADMoney.png

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont get me wrong, I am all for a WR.  But here is the reality...after you get past MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas...the next 7 are all lumped together and everyone has a different opinion of the pecking order from 5-11...and that is most often made up of:  Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Pearsall, Franklin, and Worthy.  Then there are guys outside of them that many people have listed inside the top 10 still.  

Point is, it is what Beane and the Bills scouting staff have as draft grades.  How many of the guys outside the big 4 does he have a first round grade on?  As fans, sure there are guys we would take, but most those same fans are looking at it from WR or nothing mindset.  

For example, Legette is talked about by some as the 4th or 5th best WR prospect...most have him between 8 and 10...and still some more have him in the teens.  He is a guy that could sneak into the 1st round and a guy that could fall to us in the 2nd.  If Beane sees him as a mid 2nd guy, he isn't taking him at 28 and literally said so today, same he has always said as well.  

Another example, I really like McConkey and I think he could be one of the best WR's to come out of this draft 5 years from now.  BUT...do the Bills see him as a first rounder?  Is he the style of WR they are targeting?  Lots of question marks when it comes down to what WR's Beane will have on his board he is grading high enough to take 28.

So...don't get me wrong, I am all in on getting a WR, even on board trading up to get one.  Just saying, if Beane can get a higher graded player at 28 then still land one of Mitchell, McConkey, Legette, Coleman, Franklin, Worthy, Pearsall, etc in the 2nd then that would be a great move still too.  

This is where my head is at on the move Beane just made.  He might really like a couple WRs, maybe one would require a move up in the 1st round.  Maybe some others could be had by trading down into the 2nd or trading up from the bottom of the 2nd.  If he sees a few guys that can start to take Diggs’ place sooner than later, he’s at least gotten an extra trade chip now, giving him that flexibility to make moves that maybe he otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is going to go after a WR early...and he has always been aggressive to get what he wants and needs.  That does not mean it will be at 28.  Would not surprise me to see us trade back and try and add another 3rd and then double dip on WR's with one off the small trade back and use one of the 3rds on another promising prospect.  

I would target SF and try to get one of those last 3rds. I think BB's mission is to create an extra 2nd and 3rd. Then those later rd. spots can help us jockey around a bit. I believe in this draft, he want's to make a haul of a quality core for the future.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wonder if was more simply that Diggs didn't like Allen getting all the attention and being the face of the franchise.   He felt he should be  getting more credit.  Add to that less targets. 

Diggs did next to nothing in playoff games and was a big reason why we lost to the Chiefs with that key drop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Is it realistic to make a trade for Jefferson or Higgins this year and push most of the cap hit on a new contract to next year? 

if we’re trading what it would take for Jefferson, I’d much rather offer the draft capital for MHJ.  Younger, perhaps even better within a few years. Plus it saves us 25 million per for 4 years

30 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Is it realistic to make a trade for Jefferson or Higgins this year and push most of the cap hit on a new contract to next year? 

Jefferson yes, he's under rookie deal.. 24 1st and 25 1st and 2nd 

Remember we also get 10.5 mil back from Tre after June

Edited by JerseyBills

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I'm sure that we'll hear Diggs side of things on Twitter tonight. 

Are his tweets still considered cryptic on this board now? 😀

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

if so not for long, sadly for Diggs he has become injury prone over the last couple of seasons, and disappears in the post season, that’s not what one wants as a “ 1b” receiver,  he will be a slot type of guy for one or two seasons then get likely gets waived/cut. Age is a SOB when you’re a pro athlete. 

Unless you’re named LeBron James.  

47 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

As aggressive as he was when he drafted Elam? 

You can't always find a draft day partner that marries value and need for you.  As you say the pecking order of 5-11 could all be off the board by the time #28 comes up in round 2.  

BTW, did I miss something - last I checked we don't currently have a 3rd.

You are correct sir.  Sent in Rasual Douglas trade.  Expected a 3rd round compensation pick but it ended up a 4th.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

54 million in dead money this year, nice job Brandon.

It was a nice job by Beane. He built a team that competed for the superbowl for a few years.  It should have been able to get there but they blew the opportunity.  Now it's a reset reload year to try and do it for the next few.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

The comment he made about Josh yesterday was enough for me.

I missed the comment.  What was it?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Higgins could work but you’re probably better off keeping the draft pick as he doesn’t really define game changing talent. 

Jefferson is a mental option as you’re giving up at least 2 firsts then sign him a massive contract where he wants $30m p/y. His own words. 

Question becomes, if indeed it were a possibility, do you handicap your whole team for a QB/WR combo that’s proven? Or handicap the picks to a guy on a cost controlled contract to pair with your proven QB? 

Pros and cons for both. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Higgins could work but you’re probably better off keeping the draft pick as he doesn’t really define game changing talent. 

Jefferson is a mental option as you’re giving up at least 2 firsts then sign him a massive contract where he wants $30m p/y. His own words. 

Question becomes, if indeed it were a possibility, do you handicap your whole team for a QB/WR combo that’s proven? Or handicap the picks to a guy on a cost controlled contract to pair with your proven QB? 

Pros and cons for both. 

Great points. 

Option 3 is a Diggs type player out there on a reasonable contract that is looking for a change of scenery. 

If he’s out there, Beane and staff will find him.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm fine with this move. Clearly they really like this WR class and feel confident they can draft and develop.

I hope our next wide receiver is more of the larry fitzgerald, joilio jones type mold rather than the stephen diggs, terrell owens type in terms of character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand, and of course, they are professionals and have data we do not possess. Strangely enough, sometimes fans are right and the pros are wrong.

So, I don't know what his board looks like, but I think they should be aiming at maybe 2 WRs early. I can't see another position that now clearly has priority. 

I live near Athens. I've been saying McConkey is special, and I'm sticking with it. Get an X like Mitchell or Legette, too. Personally, I'd be fine with any of them at #28, and I have a feeling at least some real NFL boards have them higher than what folks see on the simulators.

No to Legette....

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I love McConkey, and if we somehow landed McConkey and also one of Mitchell, Coleman, or Legette I would lose my mind.

I also really like Pearsall.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Jefferson yes, he's under rookie deal.. 24 1st and 25 1st and 2nd 

Remember we also get 10.5 mil back from Tre after June

It would have to be done after 6/1 and require some restructuring. We've got maybe 4.5m right now and half of that will probably go to Draft Picks. Right now it isn't feasible without going over by a fair amount.

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

And once again, the Bills fail by putting out a live feed that only lets you hear the questions being asked but goes dead while Beane is talking.  Epic fails, this has happened countless times and they still don't fix it. Found it on WGR550 live

It's done at the media's request.. I think it's something like they want people to go and listen to it from them, but I'm sure that would never work.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

So far Beane's two biggest moves money wise in free-agency have both proven to be major long-term issues.  Both would have been unnecessary if he and his staff could draft a decent WR and edge-rusher.  

Which of our players besides Allen has even approached stepping up consistently come playoff time?  

In the last two seasons it hasn’t been Diggs, hell, Shakir has been there, they both dropped TD passes, and Diggs had no excuses , Diggs is good, but injury prone, he is no longer a #1, he signed to a team that he will be their #3 before the end of next season…, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

In the last two seasons it hasn’t been Diggs, hell, Shakir has been there, they both dropped TD passes, and Diggs had no excuses , Diggs is good, but injury prone, he is no longer a #1, he signed to a team that he will be their #3 before the end of next season…, 

From what I can see, absolutely no one on this team has consistently stepped up during the playoffs besides Allen.  Davis has been our best playoff performer, like him or not, regular season production being irrelevant, and the extent to which Davis was consistent also being questionable, he was our most consistent playoff performer, which isn't saying much.  

8 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

54 million in dead money this year, nice job Brandon.

They gotta reset like seriously they went a year too long to try and let the last group get the job done and they failed as usual.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I was really hoping someone would ask Brandon about cap management and if he's learned the dangers of extending players that are unstable. While Diggs' performance made the extension make sense the gamble is that he will be on the roster for the length of the extension and that is about more than just performance. 

Also, when he talked about timing, he cleverly made it about the offer and return only. The reality is the extension clearly suggests the timing the Bills were hoping to have to do this was next year. I hate to agree with all the journalists and media people that simply guess at these things, but it's pretty obvious that the only thing that would make the timing right this year is some pretty dramatic "in-house" drama. 

I would have loved for him to respond to the question about taking a step back this year with "You sure?"

Edited by Ballhawk
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I would have loved for him to respond to the question about taking a step back this year with "You sure?"

That would have been epic.

It's obvious non-football stuff came into play and Beane won't play ball with the media by offering details. And yes, I hope he learns a lesson about extensions for players with question marks.