Diggs traded to Texans for picks

9 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

This view of Diggs has always had me shaking my head. "He's a competitor," "he's a warrior," "he hates losing". Let's paint him for what he is, he enthusiastically rides the bandwagon.

When the going was good, he performed and strutted all over the place. I agree, he gave us 3.5 very good regular seasons.

When the going got tough, he pouted, threw a major public temper-tantrum, pointed fingers, and went to the sideline on 3rd downs.

What he didn't didn't do was fight for the team, perform in the playoffs, or come through in difficult situations. When it comes to true team-focused warriors, he can't hold Josh's jockstrap.

He's a pretty little diva and his time has passed. I'm looking forward to the Bills' next chapter.

You...you find Stef "pretty"?

Benjamin Bratt GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Not really that complicated. None of those guys are playmakers. They are great as a group but none are on the level of a Jones in KC or Snead. 

Every single one of those guys has shown ability as a playmaker at this level.

And every single one of them was injured when the Bills were eliminated this year.

That's nearly 60% of your starting defense either out or playing with only three limbs.

No amount of scheming or depth can overcome that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

49 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's a fiendishly complicated question.

Perhaps we should ask Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano, Micah Hyde, Terrel Bernard, Christian Benford and Daquan Jones if they have any thoughts on the matter.

White hasn't been a factor during the time period cited, he's contributed zero to our rankings even. 

Even more fiendishly, besides Milano in the '22 season, maybe we can ask the others why they haven't been able to step up in the playoffs in those past three seasons.  Milano also wasn't a Beane pick.  IDK, maybe you think they have, which is fine.  But their stats in those games speak otherwise.  

Von Miller in his two playoff games:  0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 0 QB Hits

Hyde in his four games:  1 INT (Mac Jones) in a blowout, nothing else. 

Bernard in his four, pretty much nada.  

Daquan Jones in his three, 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 1 QB Hit (Thompson) with a few assists otherwise.  

That's why.  No one's happy with it.  

Benford?  We're expecting him to step up?  He's been on a rookie contract making less than Davis did.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Again it's still a bunch of JAGs on offense. It works on the regular season but you need that elite talent to win when it matters. 

Josh Allen, James Cook, Dalton Kincade, Kahlil Shakir, and Dawson Know are not just a bunch of guys. The end of last year showed that and if Buffalo had a decent #1 and #2 WR this team would beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Diggs falls on his face and yells at others. Gabe Davis was injured...even healthy he isn't a true #2. 

This FO wants guys that will catch the ball, contested or not, that will step up in the playoffs. The best should be yet to come if Beane can work his magic on a WR.

We all thought Diggs was that guy...but no! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Lack of statement from diggs to the fans says it all. 

He sent a nice note the day he was traded actually. Granted, everything is surface with him 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sad bc I have a big canvas photo of  Allen and diggs doing their handshake  on my basement wall and I guess I need to replace it now but I love it. 

You could photo shop me in?   🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sad bc I have a big canvas photo of  Allen and diggs doing their handshake  on my basement wall and I guess I need to replace it now but I love it. 

Nah, leave it. Their love affair for the first two seasons was awesome to root for. The disappointment/failures of 13 seconds seems to be the inflection point; both guys were changed, as were fans. Maybe ALL for the worse. Diggs started Diggsing on the socials. Allen started introduced some serious disruptions in his personal affairs, which coincided with some on-field disruptions as well. This might have made Diggs get even Diggsier. And the fans did not take any of these disruptions in stride. The Allen-to-Davis fireworks leading up to the Billsy collapse had everyone's offensive expectations all out of whack. (Still so fascinating that Diggs was most notable in his absolute absence from that game.) Lots of blame to go around. But it was FUN while it lasted. Celebrate it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was great, until it wasn’t 

46 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Did he? Fair enough. can't see the recent stuff on twitter 

He did but his credibility is nil at this point. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Nah, leave it. Their love affair for the first two seasons was awesome to root for. The disappointment/failures of 13 seconds seems to be the inflection point; both guys were changed, as were fans. Maybe ALL for the worse. Diggs started Diggsing on the socials. Allen started introduced some serious disruptions in his personal affairs, which coincided with some on-field disruptions as well. This might have made Diggs get even Diggsier. And the fans did not take any of these disruptions in stride. The Allen-to-Davis fireworks leading up to the Billsy collapse had everyone's offensive expectations all out of whack. (Still so fascinating that Diggs was most notable in his absolute absence from that game.) Lots of blame to go around. But it was FUN while it lasted. Celebrate it.  

I have this memory from the Thanksgiving game in 2022 vs Detroit … Allen to diggs  to set up the winning FG. It is one of many that sticks In my mind. And the NE game where he had like 5 TDs. But  players come and go I guess 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have this memory from the Thanksgiving game in 2022 vs Detroit … Allen to diggs  to set up the winning FG. It is one of many that sticks In my mind. And the NE game where he had like 5 TDs. But  players come and go I guess 

You’ve graduated to stage 5, congratulations 

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Was there for that one. Special moment, for sure. That game was stressful. The better team that day did not necessarily win. 

Actually reminded me a lot of that Sammy Watkins post-route snag (in Detroit against the Jets) many years prior. I happened to be at both games (family in Detroit area). 

I can’t say that he didn’t need to get moved because I think it will be better for the team in the long run.  But I do think he did appreciate the fans.  As crazy as that stadium gets and as well as we travel, the players get it.  Any problems he had were inside the building, whether coaches or players we’ll never know.  The guy wants to win but eventually he wears out his welcome.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I can’t say that he didn’t need to get moved because I think it will be better for the team in the long run.  But I do think he did appreciate the fans.  As crazy as that stadium gets and as well as we travel, the players get it.  Any problems he had were inside the building, whether coaches or players we’ll never know.  The guy wants to win but eventually he wears out his welcome.

I think this is right and a perfectly reasonable take on this situation. 

I'm more a fan of the emotional side of football, but I get the way Beane played GM on this one.  All of it was a gamble because we could have had JJ, but getting a proven NFL stud on a career-prime deal, helping your young QB with a known quantity, and only dropping 20 or so spots years later to do it is icy-smart.  It won't always work, and we have zero SB appearances to show for it, but it's still good math. 

Whatever he does with the draft, etc., I really want to see an emphasis on spatial awareness and longevity- I'm kinda tired of the lotto tickets.  

5 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I'm more a fan of the emotional side of football, but I get the way Beane played GM on this one.  All of it was a gamble because we could have had JJ, but getting a proven NFL stud on a career-prime deal, helping your young QB with a known quantity, and only dropping 20 or so spots years later to do it is icy-smart.  It won't always work, and we have zero SB appearances to show for it, but it's still good math. 

Whatever he does with the draft, etc., I really want to see an emphasis on spatial awareness and longevity- I'm kinda tired of the lotto tickets.  

This is a fair take. Beane didn't know Jefferson would be there, or no one knew he'd be such a good player. The trade paid off, no question. You can't fault him for extending him in 2022, either. Diggs was coming off multiple stellar years and was 29. 

No, I would say the big error Beane made re wide receivers was deciding Gabe Davis could be WR2. He used a fourth rounder to move up in the first to take Elam that he could have used to trade up for George Pickens in the second round. Sure, hindsight, but a lot of people had high grades on Pickens, including Greg Cosell, who thought he'd be a perfect complement for Diggs. That would have put Davis in the WR3 role, which is much better suited to his abilities.  

I may be wrong, but I suspect Beane may have been on tilt after KC leapfrogged him to take McDuffie. An icy-smart move, to use your phrase, would have been to step back and see the big picture. Instead of paying a lot for a CB who is talented but doesn't fit your scheme, you find your corner elsewhere and take a true WR2.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, finn said:

This is a fair take. Beane didn't know Jefferson would be there, or no one knew he'd be such a good player. The trade paid off, no question. You can't fault him for extending him in 2022, either. Diggs was coming off multiple stellar years and was 29. 

No, I would say the big error Beane made re wide receivers was deciding Gabe Davis could be WR2. He used a fourth rounder to move up in the first to take Elam that he could have used to trade up for George Pickens in the second round. Sure, hindsight, but a lot of people had high grades on Pickens, including Greg Cosell, who thought he'd be a perfect complement for Diggs. That would have put Davis in the WR3 role, which is much better suited to his abilities.  

I may be wrong, but I suspect Beane may have been on tilt after KC leapfrogged him to take McDuffie. An icy-smart move, to use your phrase, would have been to step back and see the big picture. Instead of paying a lot for a CB who is talented but doesn't fit your scheme, you find your corner elsewhere and take a true WR2.

I think we're basically saying the same thing.  I finished with saying I'd like to see him going after the more solid picks over chasing the windmills.  

One thing, which I think gets overlooked in scouting when compared to 'potential' and 'athletic talent' is spatial awareness.  There's no measure, but it can be spotted, and those are the players who'll be in the league for a long time.  And put an emphasis on those who expect to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like cutting out a growing, festering tumor.

Operation successful, if a year overdo.

But now the Bills need to fill in that hole, and will do so.

Soo glad that there is no diggs' dead money after this year--and for the 2nd round pick next year as well. 

The Bills may take a step or two back this year, as they have lost a lot of players (Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Diggs, Lawson......) this off season. But they will be stronger in the next few years because of these moves.

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

It should be Diggs and picks traded for picks

No, it's not. (And I made this point  days ago.) We received a SINGLE pick. 

So Diggs and picks were traded for a PICK. Singular. One pick. That's it. Many picks were involved but Diggs and other capital was traded FOR a single pick.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, hikerprof2 said:

I've never understood the "Diggs has attitude" narrative except from what I've seen: he hates losing.  I think we need more players like that, not less. And now we have none.

Josh plays like he hates losing. Sometimes that leads to mistakes, sometimes heroics. But when we lose Josh isn't much of a leader. He develops that 1000 yard stare, that look like a kid you took off his Adderall and he just goes-blank. Not inspiring.  

Our coach claps after every play, good or bad, and his main leadership style when we lose is-find someone to lay the blame on.  Still hasn't owned up to 13 seconds. I give credit to McDermott for bringing winning back to Buffalo and making us a playoff team. I'm not of the fire McDermott crowd because I don't have a better replacement. But if we win a Superbowl it's despite his leadership, not because of it.

Matt Milano plays like he hates losing, but he's not vocal, Jordan Poyer also played like he hated losing, but he's physically done and gone.

Von Miller isn't capable of playing like he hates losing anymore, though he had it once.

The rest of our roster is made of above-average guys, but nobody exceptional.  Maybe our new CB, Douglas.  And I love watching the Bills win, and our winning seasons. I still have confidence there. But we are missing something to get us over KC and other teams are nipping at our heels.  I think we are going to miss Diggs, and it would have been better to have one more year of Diggs and a rookie late first round WR who upgrades Gabe Davis then expecting a rookie to come in and play like a top five league wide WR.

If you're a "believe in the great white hope" Kinkaid that was a nice pickup, but he averages 9 yards per reception. He's not a game changer.  And Curtis Samuel is a slot receiver-which we finally developed in Khalil Shakir. Going into next year if we are lucky we will have a #2 receiver in our rookie, two exceptional #3 receivers in Khalil and Samuel, a #4 in Hollins, and two tight ends we don't know how to use.  The strategy to earn 11 yards per 3 downs (out to Kinkaid for 8, Cook runs for -2 to 1 yars as they know he is coming on second down, Josh has to bull ahead for 1-4 yards every 3 down) no chunk yardage, move down the field slowly- will get Josh injured and often leaves more room for offensive turnovers. It didn't work last year when KC at will can gain 20 yards a play.

"attitude" directed at an opponent is one thing

"attitude" directed at your own players, out in the open for all the TV cameras and fans to see, is completely another.

the later type of attitude makes you a distraction.....not good.  

not showing up to camp on time, cryptic social messages, showing up your QB on the sidelines by yelling at him......not good

there's a time and a place to dissent, vent, suggest a better way.....privately, in team position meetings, etc....

at some point the not good outweighs the good.....diggs went past that point

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Simon said:

Every single one of those guys has shown ability as a playmaker at this level.

And every single one of them was injured when the Bills were eliminated this year.

That's nearly 60% of your starting defense either out or playing with only three limbs.

No amount of scheming or depth can overcome that.

If we were healthy and Kc had our injuries that game wouldn’t have been close IMO. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Was there for that one. Special moment, for sure. That game was stressful. The better team that day did not necessarily win. 

Actually reminded me a lot of that Sammy Watkins post-route snag (in Detroit against the Jets) many years prior. I happened to be at both games (family in Detroit area). 

150 pages of saying the same stuff over and over is impressive. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I wonder where the Schedulers are going to put the Bills @ Texans game next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it is the season opener.

It would be a blood bath 😢

Im ready for a down year, and possible top 15 pick…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2