The criticism of Josh Allen

by the media and non-Bills fans seems to be the trend this offseason. He’s getting the label of a guy that can’t and never will get it done. A “poor man’s Roethlisberger” or Phillip Rivers (who I think he’s already surpassed in 6 years.) Guys like Lamar Jackson get flack, but the flat out hating of Allen has been absolutely ridiculous lately and it’s everywhere, I’m not really bothered by it, I’m just wondering where it’s all coming from? Ignorance and sheep mentality? Whether he sniffs a SB in his life time or not, he’s going to be a HOFer on pure numbers alone. 

I’ve watched every one of his games as most of us have and he’s clearly not the problem. The turnover stat is so overblown and is on par w/ most of the top QBs in the league. 78 picks to Mahomes 63 over 6 years. That’s 2.5 more interceptions per season than Mahomes if you average it out. Not really that much in a 17 game span and most of them don’t usually affect the outcome of the game as the Bills have one of the best regular season records in the NFL since Allen was drafted. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

Most national media has dated, simplistic narratives because they don't pay close enough attention.

And yeah, their narrative is that Josh gets hyper and crazy when the pressure is highest--it got formed by stuff like the Houston playoff game. 

It will stick until Josh beats Mahomes or Burrow in the playoffs, or gets to a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

A lot of people picked the Bills to win it all the past couple of seasons and now they look stupid. Similar with Dallas and Dak. People have jumped ship and now they have become critics. They are on to the next click bait team (Texans are quite popular these days)

• Agree 4

Where is all this negative talk about Josh?   I haven't heard it, but I don't watch or listen to many of the sports shows. 

I've said over and over here that Josh needs to get better.  For all his extraordinary talents, what wins in the NFL is consistent execution of the play that is called, with the right choices and with accurate throws.   Mahomes and Burrows both are better than Josh in that category.  Where Josh excels is on the six to ten plays where things break down and you need someone to make a play.  Josh is outstanding then.  It's the other plays where he needs to be better. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 18
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Where is all this negative talk about Josh?   I haven't heard it, but I don't watch or listen to many of the sports shows. 

I've said over and over here that Josh needs to get better.  For all his extraordinary talents, what wins in the NFL is consistent execution of the play that is called, with the right choices and with accurate throws.   Mahomes and Burrows both are better than Josh in that category.  Where Josh excels is on the six to ten plays where things break down and you need someone to make a play.  Josh is outstanding then.  It's the other plays where he needs to be better. 

pffft.. this from a guy who thinks trading Lamonica for Art Powell was a good idea. wtf has Burrows done? smfh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

pffft.. this from a guy who thinks trading Lamonica for Art Powell was a good idea. wtf has Burrows done? smfh

What's he done?

Well, he's beaten Josh Allen in the playoffs. 

His career passer rating is 6 percentage points higher.  6!   He has better completion percentage, yards per attempt, and fewer interceptions.   

Other than that, he hasn't done anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What's he done?

His career passer rating is 6 percentage points higher.  6!   He has better completion percentage, yards per attempt, and fewer interceptions.   

Burrow has beaten KC/Mahomes in the playoffs too. And he made it to a Super Bowl. 

I haven’t heard any big uproar of criticism of Allen this offseason either. Do people say that he (and the Bills and McDermott) can’t get it done in the playoffs? Absolutely yes. That shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone since, you know, they haven’t gotten it done in the playoffs. People said the same thing about Peyton Manning until he won his first. There’s only one way to change that narrative - Allen, McDermott and the rest of the Bills need to get it done. Until then, the existing narrative will only grow louder and stronger. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Don’t even think it’s just media and non-Bills fans…

Theres some of our fans who share this delusional notion that Josh can’t get it done. 

Josh is more than capable of winning a SB. All you have to do is look at his post season statistics in his career. Winning a Lombardi is a team accomplishment. And that accomplishment of not getting it done so far certainly doesn’t fall at the feet of the guy who is at least 50% of the reason we’ve had any success

Go Josh! go Bills!

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Most national media has dated, simplistic narratives because they don't pay close enough attention.

And yeah, their narrative is that Josh gets hyper and crazy when the pressure is highest--it got formed by stuff like the Houston playoff game. 

It will stick until Josh beats Mahomes or Burrow in the playoffs, or gets to a Super Bowl. 

The irony being it's when the pressure is at it's highest Josh plays at his best. I'd argue his worst performances since becoming elite have been against the weaker sides.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

All or most of what you have said was proven last season in the MVP voting, Josh dwarfed every one else in the running when it came to his stats then when he went on a 6 game winning streak from the middle of the season to go from the 11th seed to #2 & the AFC east Champs but he wasn't the MVP .

🙄 Okay we'll go with that ... What else should we expect we are Bills fans after all right ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh is a stud at QB. He is top 5 no doubt.

But the "other" fans in the NFL think he is rough around the edges. His accuracy shows, at times, that he is inconsistent which we all see. He can't hit the long ball with "touch" is another comment I hear a lot. And he doesn't see the field as well as other top QB's, hence the missed open WR's we see in many games. But he can ball! And I'll take that all day.

Now just win one baby!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

What's he done?

It’s funny, because Josh is hands down better than Burrow in the playoffs… likes it’s not even close. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s funny, because Josh is hands down better than Burrow in the playoffs… likes it’s not even close. 

Great point!

And how much better can he be expected to play in the playoffs generally speaking than he did in the '21 season.  He essentially played two perfect games.  

Unfortunately few of his teammates, definitely not enough of them, show up in the playoffs, particularly on the defensive side.  Consider, if he played phenomenally, which he did, and led us to 36 points in regulation, them what does it say for a D that did the same on the other side in allowing the opponent to post one of its top-3 best games of the season in doing the same.  

It's likely be would have won one in '21, it was our own poor and idiotic decision making that undermined that.  

Sometimes you are unfairly credited with things that aren't your fault.  

People will draw the conclusions that fit their personal team narratives. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Josh has some of the best playoff numbers in the history of the NFL. The criticism of Josh is absurd 

Yet, there are reasons as to why we can't advance in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Great point!

And how much better can he be expected to play in the playoffs generally speaking than he did in the '21 season.  He essentially played two perfect games.  

Unfortunately few of his teammates, definitely not enough of them, show up in the playoffs, particularly on the defensive side.  Consider, if he played phenomenally, which he did, and led us to 36 points in regulation, them what does it say for a D that did the same on the other side in allowing the opponent to post one of its top-3 best games of the season in doing the same.  

It's likely be would have won one in '21, it was our own poor and idiotic decision making that undermined that.  

Sometimes you are unfairly credited with things that aren't your fault.  

People will draw the conclusions that fit their personal team narratives. 

I guess I am curious what the narrative would have been in KC had the Bills won in the Divisional Round in 2021. 

That they lost because of poor decision making or that Josh Allen is just an elite QB and did elite QB things? The guy on the other sideline is the ONLY other guy in the NFL that can be mentioned in the same breath as Josh, or maybe the other way around, Josh is the only guy that can be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There's two problems with Josh Allen

1. He was labeled a bust by the media, so they will always ensure to never give him the credit he deserves and will work tirelessly to make sure he's not MVP

2. He plays for a franchise that is cursed

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I guess I am curious what the narrative would have been in KC had the Bills won in the Divisional Round in 2021. 

That they lost because of poor decision making or that Josh Allen is just an elite QB and did elite QB things? The guy on the other sideline is the ONLY other guy in the NFL that can be mentioned in the same breath as Josh, or maybe the other way around, Josh is the only guy that can be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

And Mahomes had Hill & Kelce, arguably the two best at their positions then, and a vastly Superior OL.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

With Josh we always have a shot to win it all.  Which does not mean he cannot improve.  He still has a tendency to throw too many picks for example.  

Name one playoff game where Josh threw an INT that was his fault that cost us the game?  

2 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

In my opinion, Josh has not let the team down in any playoff game. The defense on the hand....

Was going to post something similar. 

The way our defense has let us down in the playoffs essentially requires josh to play perfectly. 

I believe there are aspects of Josh’s game he could improve but it’s way down the list of things the team could/should/need (to) improve.

If you follow the reasoning behind the criticism of josh it leads to criticism of McDermott. his defensive philosophy falls apart in the playoffs, or at least there are other teams that do a much better job on that side of the ball in the playoffs. 

I would much rather be in Josh’s situation, constantly getting into the playoffs, having extremely high expectations, and get the criticism than be a supposed supremely talented QB on supposed incredibly talented teams that can never come through….Justin Herbert anyone? He underperforms so often and somehow his team is consistently so bad that dude somehow escapes all criticism 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

JUST ENJOY IT.  How much hate did Brady get?

Brady was hated because he won a lot. Same with Mahomes now.

Allen is criticized in part because of comments like these from Bills fans ever since the 13 sec game. Comparing him to the best to ever played. Saying things like he’s the best in the league right now. All the while he hasn’t delivered on the field the type of success that would merit these comments. Add to the fact that Bills have been media preseason darlings the last few years. Things are turning against Allen and the Bills because they have not won. All they have to do is go win a superbowl. 

• Agree 1

Not sure I completely agree. The mainstream media is what if is and of course there will be buzz words because it draws ratings from the casual fans. Guys like Nick Wright and Steven A Smith are NBA guys who sell talking points about the NFL because if you don't talk NFL you don't get the big money in American sports media.

NFL media that focuses exclusively on the NFL are not saying anything negative about Josh Allen. What they're saying is McDermott is a defensive mind and his defenses are falling short in the playoffs and that Beane has done a piss poor job of surrounding Allen with elite talent outside of Diggs. I actually don't disagree with this. Chiefs this past year had a superior defense to any Bills defense the past 7 years. How is that? Every other major AFC contender has had superior offensive talent to the Bills. How is that? 

The one thing some mainstream media talk about that I dont agree with is the Bills window is closing. No its not. If Beane attacks offensive talent in this draft and doesn't mess around the Bills could be set up for their best offensive season yet under Allen. 

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

by the media and non-Bills fans seems to be the trend this offseason. He’s getting the label of a guy that can’t and never will get it done. A “poor man’s Roethlisberger” or Phillip Rivers (who I think he’s already surpassed in 6 years.) Guys like Lamar Jackson get flack, but the flat out hating of Allen has been absolutely ridiculous lately and it’s everywhere, I’m not really bothered by it, I’m just wondering where it’s all coming from? Ignorance and sheep mentality? Whether he sniffs a SB in his life time or not, he’s going to be a HOFer on pure numbers alone. 

I’ve watched every one of his games as most of us have and he’s clearly not the problem. The turnover stat is so overblown and is on par w/ most of the top QBs in the league. 78 picks to Mahomes 63 over 6 years. That’s 2.5 more interceptions per season than Mahomes if you average it out. Not really that much in a 17 game span and most of them don’t usually affect the outcome of the game as the Bills have one of the best regular season records in the NFL since Allen was drafted. 

Be helpful if you could provide some examples of what you're talking about.

The actual turnovers from actually watching the game say sometimes he's the problem; sometimes he and the rest of the team compensate, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes the turnovers don't matter (end of half) or aren't his fault

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

And Mahomes had Hill & Kelce, arguably the two best at their positions then, and a vastly Superior OL.  

Name one playoff game where Josh threw an INT that was his fault that cost us the game?  

There is not a player in the league that cannot continue to improve.  We all love Josh but that doesn’t mean he needs to be treated as some God of perfection.

14 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Was going to post something similar. 

The way our defense has let us down in the playoffs essentially requires josh to play perfectly. 

I believe there are aspects of Josh’s game he could improve but it’s way down the list of things the team could/should/need (to) improve.

If you follow the reasoning behind the criticism of josh it leads to criticism of McDermott. his defensive philosophy falls apart in the playoffs, or at least there are other teams that do a much better job on that side of the ball in the playoffs. 

One can only put it on the defense for so long. When Mahomes gets the ball with a chance to win at the end of playoffs games he usually finishes. The opponents know this. Fans know this. When Allen gets the ball at the end we’re often bracing for the inevitable wtf happened moment.

Regardless of how the defense played this past playoffs game Allen had the ball with a chance to knock off KC and couldn’t finish. If it was the reverse Mahomes would definitely finish that drive. We’ve seen it from him time and again in the biggest games. KC’s defense gave up 35 in the Superbowl. Mahomes found  way to score 38. That’s the level that Allen needs to operate at and he hasn’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Are you watching ESPN? That might be the problem. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, T master said:

All or most of what you have said was proven last season in the MVP voting, Josh dwarfed every one else in the running when it came to his stats then when he went on a 6 game winning streak from the middle of the season to go from the 11th seed to #2 & the AFC east Champs but he wasn't the MVP .

🙄 Okay we'll go with that ... What else should we expect we are Bills fans after all right ?

Josh may have been the MVP last year, but he came on too late.  The voters make up their minds in November and December.  It's stupid.  

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is not a player in the league that cannot continue to improve.  We all love Josh but that doesn’t mean he needs to be treated as some God of perfection.

Of course not.  I'm curious how that impacts the comments that I made about his '21 season playoffs.  

Maybe instead of a comment like that, point out how much you'd like him to improve from posting two games with the following stat lines: 

308 Passing Yards, 5 Passing TDs, 157.6 Rating, 6 Carries for 66 Rushing Yards 

329 Passing Yards, 4 Passing TDs, 136.0 Rating, 11 Carries for 68 Rushing Yards 

In the other games, maybe point out where he failed while the rest of the team stepped up.  

Let's stay focused here instead of going off on tangents having little if anything to do with the original point.  

There's not a playoff game that we've played where anyone, national media, Bills fans, non-Bills fans, etc. can honestly say that we lost because of Allen with most much less all of the rest of the team having played a great game.  Once again, that points to something beyond merely Allen as to why we do not advance.