3 hours ago, Rico said:

image.jpeg.95b54215b5f2926ddac5075159ab13d8.jpeg

Yeah, right.

Bet he’s banging his moms girl friends,

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I haven't seen this much 'irrational exuberance' since Sills V. 🤨

BTW, where has Sherlock Holmes been lately? 🤔

Vigorously swiping right on Christian Mingle.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, bills6969 said:

IMO,  finding a starting safety is more important than finding a #2 WR

Its not though.  In a weak class why draft for a need?  Desean is a corner.  Who knows how long or ever he learns the position to take over Edwards or Rapp. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Its not though.  In a weak class why draft for a need?  Desean is a corner.  Who knows how long or ever he learns the position to take over Edwards or Rapp. 

He’s a FS which is basically a DB that isn’t quick enough to play DB.  He’s a Hyde clone.

Edited by bills6969

14 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

IMO,  finding a starting safety is more important than finding a #2 WR

The defensive backfield is the strength of the coaching staff.  They can find someone they can get by with.  I'm considerably less confident of their ability to find a starting caliber WR later in the draft.  And then the are the longer term contract considerations.  With FA WR costs skyrocketing,  it's more valuable to have that position on cost controlled contracts than it is a safety.  

And then there's the fact that DeJean would be a projection to safety.  He's a college corner and that's where I'd give him his first shot in the NFL.  Maybe he can play safety,  but maybe he can't.  

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

we passed on paying tons of very good and proven veteran safeties peanuts. Wasn’t a priority, so why spend our most valuable resource on one now?

go get a receiver or pass rusher that’s two to three times as costly in free agency 

There wasn't a player like this in FA that's capable of being a Minkah Fitzpatrick type. IMO, that multi-faceted DB could put our defense over the edge.

I'd much rather find a way to trade back up into the third and take Javon Bullard or Cole Bishop. WR in round one or trade back into the early second and take WR. That should be the play. I don't like the edge players likely to be there at #28. If Newton is sitting there, I'll understand taking him at #28. He's a really good player, but it's not what I would want to do. I do think McD would love to have this fella on the team. So would I, if it doesn't mean you spent #28 to get him.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

There wasn't a player like this in FA that's capable of being a Minkah Fitzpatrick type. IMO, that multi-faceted DB could put our defense over the edge.

Well, I think it would put the fan base over the edge. Except for you, you like that sort of thing.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

99% of the this fanbase is completely clueless, so whatever they hate is usually the right move.

I know you think you're brighter than the rest of us. The wise are few, but taking an unpopular opinion doesn't mean you're right.

As I wrote above, I like the player, just not the cost. And I gave alternatives that I think are excellent players. If you view Dejean as a unicorn,

that might justify the choice, but I know from other threads we just have strong strategic and interpretive differences.

No he doesn’t, 

29 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

He’s a FS which is basically a DB that isn’t quick enough to play DB.  He’s a Hyde clone.

Hyde was a mid rd pick.  I understand what Hyde became.  That was after playing multiple positions in the NFL.  If you draft Copper rd 1 you are doing it thinking he can play Corner not to move him and play Saftey.  If he is not quick enough to play corner you are assuming he has elite awareness to anticipate from a new perspective and position.  The negatives as to why you are moving him only creates more questions for what he will be able to do at safety.  I get a college slot transitioning to a pro safety.  A player that has only played out wide is not a smooth transition to safety.  Rd 1 is too rich.  Beane and Mcdermott both stated instincts and awareness are more important than testing numbers.  There is no telling what his awareness level is while looking at the whole picture instead of his own window.   

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

99% of the this fanbase is completely clueless, so whatever they hate is usually the right move.

Yeah we should have gone with your idea and drafted Trenton Simpson in the 1st last year. Nevermind that he almost made it to our 3rd round pick. His 1 sack and 2 TFL on the season surely would have been the difference. Why he even played 61% of special teams snaps. If the rest of us weren't so clueless maybe we would have foreseen this elite production.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

and to my point: in your wildest dreams of his potential, you picked a guy with a paycheck between Jerry jeudy and Christian kirk 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

So, if the Bills are there at 28 and they have the option of taking a player with a 1st round grade versus taking a 2nd round graded receiver, you want them to pass on the higher rated players and reach for a 2nd round talent?

I honestly think some of you don't understand how the draft works. You make a draft board. You grade players. You draft according to your board. You don't get enamored with any one player or even any one position, because there are a billion scenarios and it might not fall the way you think, especially when you are at 28.

There will be a 1st round grade WR there at 28, unless a bunch of trade-ups happen.

If the Bills pass on one of these guys for a player on defense heads need to roll.

I'm sick of the bs.  No excuses.  

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is a spectacularly awful approach

No it isn't.  The Bills need to come away with one of the top 5-6 WRs in the 1st round.

I really don't care if a bunch of "let's draft defense again" fans agree with me or not.

I was right about DK, I was right about Breece.  I'm right now.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

So, if the Bills are there at 28 and they have the option of taking a player with a 1st round grade versus taking a 2nd round graded receiver, you want them to pass on the higher rated players and reach for a 2nd round talent?

I honestly think some of you don't understand how the draft works. You make a draft board. You grade players. You draft according to your board. You don't get enamored with any one player or even any one position, because there are a billion scenarios and it might not fall the way you think, especially when you are at 28.

They’ll be the same people crying Beane reached if he takes the 8th best receiver at 28 and doesn’t pan out 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

The defensive backfield is the strength of the coaching staff.  They can find someone they can get by with.  I'm considerably less confident of their ability to find a starting caliber WR later in the draft.  And then the are the longer term contract considerations.  With FA WR costs skyrocketing,  it's more valuable to have that position on cost controlled contracts than it is a safety.  

And then there's the fact that DeJean would be a projection to safety.  He's a college corner and that's where I'd give him his first shot in the NFL.  Maybe he can play safety,  but maybe he can't.  

Like Gabe Davis or Khalil Shakir on day 3 ? Got it bud

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

and to my point: in your wildest dreams of his potential, you picked a guy with a paycheck between Jerry jeudy and Christian kirk 

No, in my wildest dreams, he's Ed Reed. Just because I'm taking the best player that is also the most needed in the first, doesn't mean we take take WRs later. They can use every pick on receivers from the 3rd on as far as I'm concerned, though I would like to see us get depth LBs, a QB prospect and more secondary help there. I'll take this kid all day over the 6th best WR.

39 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Or Diggs.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah we should have gone with your idea and drafted Trenton Simpson in the 1st last year. Nevermind that he almost made it to our 3rd round pick. His 1 sack and 2 TFL on the season surely would have been the difference. Why he even played 61% of special teams snaps. If the rest of us weren't so clueless maybe we would have foreseen this elite production.

Oh, that's right, our deep linebacking pool definitely wasn't a key reason Josh was golfing again while other teams were playing for Super Bowls.

Simpson was learning behind absolute studs last year. Now that they let Queen walk, he'll have his shot this year. Meanwhile, Allen will once again be golfing next January if you get your wish and we get a 6th passing option for the offense instead of addressing the primary reason our team is not a serious SB contender.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

Well,  that's two out of seven.  How did the others turn out for them? 

Yes,  they've had some success in the past.  That doesn't change anything.   I still have more confidence in their ability to find a competent safety or corner later on than a WR.  

Edited by Brandon

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Wouldn't hate it. For some reason I just love me a good RB or safety. When either of those positions is making great plays, it's just a brand of football I enjoy watching.

Fortunately, you can find very good players at those positions in the third round and on day 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Wouldn't hate it. For some reason I just love me a good RB or safety. When either of those positions is making great plays, it's just a brand of football I enjoy watching.

nostalgia is real

but if I’m an nba GM, a 10 ft fadeaway jumper isn’t getting a first round grade either

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Oh, that's right, our deep linebacking pool definitely wasn't a key reason Josh was golfing again while other teams were playing for Super Bowls.

Simpson was learning behind absolute studs last year. Now that they let Queen walk, he'll have his shot this year. Meanwhile, Allen will once again be golfing next January if you get your wish and we get a 6th passing option for the offense instead of addressing the primary reason our team is not a serious SB contender.

We didn’t move on because our offense struggled, stalled, at the 20 yard line, not because our defense failed. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think if he’s there at 28 it’s pretty likely he’s the best player on the board. With the addition of Samuel, I don’t think the same urgency to absolutely take a wide out in round 1 is there. With the unimpressive combine showing of Franklin he could be there at 60. So could Legette, Corley and Roman Wilson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

nostalgia is real

but if I’m an nba GM, a 10 ft fadeaway jumper isn’t getting a first round grade either

Not really nostalgia, since we still have great RB and safety play around the league, but there is a reason they're two of the most undervalued positions.

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

There will be a 1st round grade WR there at 28, unless a bunch of trade-ups happen.

If the Bills pass on one of these guys for a player on defense heads need to roll.

No it isn't.  The Bills need to come away with one of the top 5-6 WRs in the 1st round.

I really don't care if a bunch of "let's draft defense again" fans agree with me or not.

Breece hall wasn't even a first round pick... And I certainly wouldn't draft him in the first

And the rest of the league didn't

There is no defensive player in this draft in the 20s that can help this team get to the Super Bowl. There may be a few offensive players that can help #17 take us to the Super Bowl though. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

metcalf was a 64th pick. Hall was 36th. Neither one went in the first round. I don't think folks here adamant against taking a WR in the 2nd.

Also, neither one has been a factor in making their team a contender, so despite being very good players, not sure it's a great argument for us to overinvest in one of them.

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

We didn’t move on because our offense struggled, stalled, at the 20 yard line, not because our defense failed. 

Better draft a QB then, because there were multiple WRs open on that drive if that's your argument.

15 hours ago, bills6969 said:

we have huge holes to fill in secondary.  Need to prioritize it in draft.  Dejean reminds me of Hyde.  Could come in and fill immediate need. I also like Cole Bishop in round 3 or 4 if he’s available.

Need? Absolutely not. 

So, no. No to a first round DB when it's a deep draft for WR and we need one , badly. 

Did I say no?