DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

• Doc Brown changed the title to DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

There are more factors to signing a player than just what you see on tape. Beane has friends inside the Panthers he trusts, which is why the Bills sign players from the Panthers. Just because the Panthers are a bad team, doesn't mean every player coming from them is worthless.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

so we now have basically full roster depth at all positions, so we won't NEED to draft a guy due to lack of bodies in a slot.

kinda makes sense.

the difference this year vs prior years imo is that we used to way over pay depth type positions and marginal starters, at S, OL (staffold!), and always at DL.  looks like we are packing in more bottom of the pile contracts.

• Like (+1) 9

11 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

There are more factors to signing a player than just what you see on tape. Beane has friends inside the Panthers he trusts, which is why the Bills sign players from the Panthers. Just because the Panthers are a bad team, doesn't mean every player coming from them is worthless.

And that's also playing into why we have been signing quite a few former Washington Commanders over the years. Just this year we grab Toohill and Samuel. Signed Crowder and went after that RB that changed his mind and went back to Washington. Kyle Allen played for both Washington and Carolina. It's a fairly common practice around the league. Heck look at all the former Bills brought in by Daboll for the NYG.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, colin said:

so we now have basically full roster depth at all positions, so we won't NEED to draft a guy due to lack of bodies in a slot.

kinda makes sense.

the difference this year vs prior years imo is that we used to way over pay depth type positions and marginal starters, at S, OL (staffold!), and always at DL.  looks like we are packing in more bottom of the pile contracts.

To take it a step further, when you have a franchise QB, the cap needs to be allocated to certain positions. You pay your LT (Dawkins), top WR (Diggs), pass rush (Oliver, Von) and top CB (was Tre’s contract). You don’t spend on your 3rd & 4th DT (Settle & Ford) or ST guys (Neal and Matakevich).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Star Lotuleileileilei says hi

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Whkfc said:

Another older guy

And just when we thought we were shedding some of the aged players in this team. Going for a youth movement. Nope. Not this staff. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Probably a vet minimum deal to compete for the 5th DT role. He’s a guy that’s played a bunch in the NFL. What’s not to like? Who would you prefer as the 5th (or 6th DT)? 

chidi anahatu, alex carrington, gabe northern...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3-Tech depth, at least through camp to see if he can make the roster. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

2024 TBD whipping boy

Von is still here, sooooo..... :lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

Clowns up in here saying signing a guy like this who may not even make the roster means:

Beane only knows about the Panthers

We’ve abandoned any chance of getting younger

DT draft prospects just got Thanos snapped

He’s a reincarnation of a former signee because he once wore the same helmet

That his contract and role is similar to said former signee

That said former was a complete failure who never contributed

I’m disappointed that no one has used this as proof that McD is on the hot seat, that Diggs has demanded a trade or that we’re purposely trying to harm poor Josh.  Come on clowns, try harder.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Bills don’t fear Father Time

We likely signed him to a 1 year deal, not horrible for a 31 year old rotational DT. 

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

chidi anahatu, alex carrington, gabe northern...

Carrington and Northern were both draft picks. 

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

And just when we thought we were shedding some of the aged players in this team. Going for a youth movement. Nope. Not this staff. 

@4merper4mer

so are you saying you want to keep signing guys over the age of 30 and plug them into some of the most physical spots on a football team? 

The argument for more DT help isn’t my issue. We need bodies there. My issue is we went from one of the oldest teams in the league last year, to cutting a lot of aged players and being one of the younger teams just by addition by subtraction. And yet here we are getting older again with a lot of these free agents.
Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

Austin Johnson (if he’s even signed I have seen confirmation yet) will be 30 by the time camp starts. 

• Eyeroll 3

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

@4merper4mer

so are you saying you want to keep signing guys over the age of 30 and plug them into some of the most physical spots on a football team? 

The argument for more DT help isn’t my issue. We need bodies there. My issue is we went from one of the oldest teams in the league last year, to cutting a lot of aged players and being one of the younger teams just by addition by subtraction. And yet here we are getting older again with a lot of these free agents.
Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

Austin Johnson (if he’s even signed I have seen confirmation yet) will be 30 by the time camp starts. 

Johnson retweeted and replied to DaQuan saying he’s signing with the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Clowns up in here saying signing a guy like this who may not even make the roster means:

Beane only knows about the Panthers

We’ve abandoned any chance of getting younger

DT draft prospects just got Thanos snapped

He’s a reincarnation of a former signee because he once wore the same helmet

That his contract and role is similar to said former signee

That said former was a complete failure who never contributed

I’m disappointed that no one has used this as proof that McD is on the hot seat, that Diggs has demanded a trade or that we’re purposely trying to harm poor Josh.  Come on clowns, try harder.

Give it time. They'll still be working out how to get out of bed. 

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

@4merper4mer

Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

A valid point, but keep in mind the draft has yet to happen. It’s through the draft that teams get younger. The only cheap veterans available (and we need cheap ones) are bound to be older guys. As others have said, it remains to be seen if they make the roster. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Johnson retweeted and replied to DaQuan saying he’s signing with the Bills.

Yet I haven’t seen it confirmed by the team or the nfl. Or espn. Or Wikipedia. 

still doesn’t take away from the fact that we’re old at the position. 

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

@4merper4mer

Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

He competing for the 5th (or 6th) DT spot for 1 year. They’ll draft (at least) 1 guy to rotate in the top 4 with Jones, Oliver and Johnson. This guy will have a shot at the next spot with guys like Eli Ankou and some other late round pick. This isn’t the signing to get upset about.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A valid point, but keep in mind the draft has yet to happen. It’s through the draft that teams get younger. The only cheap veterans available (and we need cheap ones) are bound to be older guys. As others have said, it remains to be seen if they make the roster. 

I don’t disagree with this. And I’m fully aware of it. I don’t know what FA DTs there are out there. But I’m sure there’s some that are under 30. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He competing for the 5th (or 6th) DT spot for 1 year. They’ll draft (at least) 1 guy to rotate in the top 4 with Jones, Oliver and Johnson. This guy will have a shot at the next spot with guys like Eli Ankou and some other late round pick. This isn’t the signing to get upset about.

I’m not upset about the signing. I’m annoyed by the fact that they said they needed to get younger. They cut a bunch of fat. Then they resigned guys that were just as old or older at many of the same positions. 

we went from one of the oldest teams in the league, to one of the youngest after the cuts, back to one of the oldest again. Just annoying. 

it’s not this guy that bothers me. It’s the mindset. And I’m not so sure they take a DT in the draft now personally. I’ll say this, Beane has found a way to fill all the holes on the team and can pick the BPA in the draft now. But it also scares me that we have specific needs at WR, DT, S, C, and I’m not sure they feel the same way. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I don’t disagree with this. And I’m fully aware of it. I don’t know what FA DTs there are out there. But I’m sure there’s some that are under 30. 

That’s one of the challenges in the modern NFL. When you’re young, age 21-25 you’re on a cheap rookie deal. If you’re good you’re probably on your second contract (high paying) contract from age 25-29. If you’re not at all that good by age 25 you’re often considered a bust and thrown on dumpster fire. If you were good you don’t resurface until you’re 29-30 when you fall back into the availability pool. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

That’s one of the challenges in the modern NFL. When you’re young, age 21-25 you’re on a cheap rookie deal. If you’re good you’re probably on your second contract (high paying) contract from age 25-29. If you’re not at all that good by age 25 you’re often considered a bust and thrown on dumpster fire. If you were good you don’t resurface until you’re 29-30 when you fall back into the availability pool. 

I guess I’d rather take shots at guys that are 25 and considered a bust and hope McDermott can get the “best version of themselves” than go with a washed up, old, and injury riddled player at 30+. It’s not like we’re taking 1-3 older guys. It feel like every single FA we’ve picked up is older. After we rid ourselves of older and injury riddled players.  Terrible cycle. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yet I haven’t seen it confirmed by the team or the nfl. Or espn. Or Wikipedia. 

still doesn’t take away from the fact that we’re old at the position. 

Beane said we were signing him…..papers not finalized.  He’s probably on vacation somewhere

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

why is 30 becoming this “magic number” on here where players supposedly all fall off a cliff.  Plenty of NFL players still play at a high level into their mid 30’s 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2