KC Trades L.Sneed to Titans

Just now, mannc said:

Taylor and Thuney were FA acquisitions 

And?

Your original post said” Don’t pay anyone except the big three”

So they don’t count as guys who are being “paid “… because they are FAs?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

Sneed is good.  Glad he's no longer a Chief.  So is Diggs.

Absolutely he was the most influential player on that D other than Jones. It frees up a ton of cap but this is good news for the Bills!

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

this is a  bit shocking IMO. I expected KC to get a 2nd and 4th

They didn't have the money to pay him, so they had to get what they could.

Not a comment directed at the Bills but the NFL in general, this why the Chiefs remain competitive. 

HC/QB are in place and they have a budget for every position, regardless of how good they are if they exceed the budget they just trade them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Not a comment directed at the Bills but the NFL in general, this why the Chiefs remain competitive. 

HC/QB are in place and they have a budget for every position, regardless of how good they are if they exceed the budget they just trade them.

IDK I think the Chiefs messed this one up. Trading a good CB1 for a 3rd round pick is not good value. They could've let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They can roll that cap space over to next year as Jones's cap hit next year is $34.8m in 2025.  It puts them in good position to re-sign Humphrey, Danna, and D. Smith if they wanted.

I think they were in good position regardless.  From everything I’ve read, there is supposed to be another massive increase to the cap ceiling for the 25/26 season (the Bills, Saints, Cowboys, Dolphins, 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens and Eagles would all appreciate it).  I think the Chieftriots are up to something big and I hope it’s not a trade for Jefferson.  

4 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Absolutely he was the most influential player on that D other than Jones. It frees up a ton of cap but this is good news for the Bills!

It was a smart move,  they have Trent McDuffie only 24 who already a star and on a rookie controlled contract for the next 2 seasons.  Why pay Sneed,  this is why Beane and the Bills are always in cap jail.  You don't need two lockdown corners and yes Beane overpaid on Johnson

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

It was a smart move,  they have Trent McDuffie only 24 who already a star and on a rookie controlled contract for the next 2 seasons.  Why pay Sneed,  this is why Beane and the Bills are always in cap jail.  You don't need two lockdown corners and yes Beane overpaid on Johnson

Yes they can put McDuffie back out there full time but there was a reason they went the other way last year. I do actually like Jaylen Watson a fair bit who was a 7th rounder the same draft as McDuffie and started in the Eagles Superbowl (he was good that day whereas McDuffie struggled in that game). They have definitely just got weaker at corner though. 

As for Taron Johnson Beane absolutely did not overpay. Cam Sutton was the market setter for nickel corners at $11m AAV. Taron > Cam I was guessing $12.5m AAV or thereabouts. To bring Taron in cheaper than Cam was a hell of a deal for the Bills.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Diggs will. He doesn’t show up.

Generally I roll my eyes at these comments. But this is pretty accurate. Great regular season performer but has he really had a big playoff game for us?

7 minutes ago, zevo said:

Generally I roll my eyes at these comments. But this is pretty accurate. Great regular season performer but has he really had a big playoff game for us?

He’s had a couple good games but never in the elimination game. Always a disappearing act for Diggs. Obviously not all his fault but it’s definitely a trend now.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A 3rd next year for a 27 year old top CB? 'the hell? Chiefs got fleeced.

Pretty glad too. When I saw it, I assumed it would be for the Titans 2nd Rounder at 38. A package of 32 and 38 could have sent them soaring past us for Brian Thomas Jr.

It’s an interesting discussion- 

a third next year at this crossroads in free agency can be like essentially trading an expected comp pick instead of signing a guy and losing that comp pick. With the right team and right framing it’s very low compensation. 

im curious to see the contract and if that’s particularly punishing or if the league doesn’t view Snead the way Buffalo fans do after the diggs issues 

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If this is the market for a guy like Snead, any market for Diggs likely to be at best the same, probably worse, right?

It would be worse. Look at the age difference 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, IBTG81 said:

Chiefs got a 2025 3rd round pick, and the teams swapped 2024 7th round picks. 
Titans robbed them. 

8 hours ago, Success said:

Poor return for a player of that caliber, imo.

Trades are about the player and the contract.  Often compensation is misunderstood because people only consider the player.

• Agree 1

The Chiefs were not going to pay Sneed what he wanted in the long run. It's just like them getting an upper echelon comp pick a year early. On deck for new contracts the Chiefs have Humphrey, Smith, and Bolton. Signing Sneed would be taking $$$ away from them. You can say they got fleeced because of the level of player, but this is usually how these things go when said player is on a FT. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

IDK I think the Chiefs messed this one up. Trading a good CB1 for a 3rd round pick is not good value. They could've let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick.

I get that, but they get guaranteed compensation this way and they are basically saying CB isn't that important to their scheme. 

They also let Peter's walk years ago and didn't seem to miss him.

Pay the position for your scheme, not who happens to be a good player.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Success said:

Poor return for a player of that caliber, imo.

Yup.

I'm sure it's not a cap move, because the cap is not real.

They just couldn't calculate well how valuable those draft picks were.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This should put the rest what the rest of the league actually values him at

Certainly a talented player

I would never call him a top five corner in the league right now... He's over valued and the Chiefs are cashing in

He is a strict scheme fit not a guy who will excel in any system

I think it has to do more with his contract than him as a player. (In my opinion)

Teams don't want to give up high draft picks and pay a corner 20 plus million.

I think even the dolphins only had to give Up like a 6th round pick for Ramsey or something last year?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Taron Johnson? Are you nuts? He's a terrific bargain. Probably will cost significantly less than half of what Johnson will get.

Johnson is one of our most important defensive players.

Beane has made some questionable moves - everyone does - but overall he's been extremely good.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes they can put McDuffie back out there full time but there was a reason they went the other way last year. I do actually like Jaylen Watson a fair bit who was a 7th rounder the same draft as McDuffie and started in the Eagles Superbowl (he was good that day whereas McDuffie struggled in that game). They have definitely just got weaker at corner though. 

As for Taron Johnson Beane absolutely did not overpay. Cam Sutton was the market setter for nickel corners at $11m AAV. Taron > Cam I was guessing $12.5m AAV or thereabouts. To bring Taron in cheaper than Cam was a hell of a deal for the Bills.

, They made the smart move,   why pay Snead crazy money when they already have McDuffie.  The Chiefs keep making smart moves and that is why they have 3 Super bowl wins and were still trying to get there because Beane has overpaid guys.  Diggs has one of the worse contracts in the NFL

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Taron Johnson? Are you nuts? He's a terrific bargain. Probably will cost significantly less than half of what Johnson will get.

Johnson is one of our most important defensive players.

Beane has made some questionable moves - everyone does - but overall he's been extremely good.

System player,  Mcdermott plays soft zones.  Not saying he is not a good player,  I just think we gave him too much and I would have let him test the market because our defence sucks in the playoffs every year anyways

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

They got a 2025 3rd rounder, which is like a late 4th rounder.  Kind of low but not surprising.  I remember when some people were pissed the Bills didn't franchise Gilmore because they thought the Bills could trade him for a first or even 2nd rounder.  That was never going to happen.

Edited by Doc

9 hours ago, sven233 said:

At least they didn't get another first or something crazy like that...... 

But, they got something for an asset and while I am glad he's off their team, it stinks that they are probably going to be able to add a good, young, cheap piece in the draft.

Probably is the key word. They still have to hit on the pick

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

, They made the smart move,   why pay Snead crazy money when they already have McDuffie.  The Chiefs keep making smart moves and that is why they have 3 Super bowl wins and were still trying to get there because Beane has overpaid guys.  Diggs has one of the worse contracts in the NFL

System player,  Mcdermott plays soft zones.  Not saying he is not a good player,  I just think we gave him too much and I would have let him test the market because our defence sucks in the playoffs every year anyways

I'm not necessarily disagreeing on the Chiefs move. They got worse at corner, but they have a good player in McDuffie and in Watson have someone who has started and played well in a Superbowl that gives them a pretty good baseline. 

But I AM disagreeing on Taron Johnson. He is a system player, in the sense that the system can't work without him. Find me another player in the entire league who can play nickel corner / strong side linebacker hybrid as well as Taron Johnson. There are not any. He is not a beneficent of the scheme. The scheme is absolutely a beneficent of him. And they got him for less than a good not great nickel in Cam Sutton (obviously before what happened with Sutton this week happened). And if you want to argue about Bills players on defense who haven't stood up in the playoffs Taron Johnson is not the guy to have that argument about. That was not just a good deal by the Bills, it was a GREAT deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, mannc said:

Who else have they re-signed for big money?

Chris Jones.  5 year, $158M contract, $95M guaranteed.  

It's not a big hit on their cap this season cuz he gets his $30M signing bonus amortized and vet min salary, but next year it's $34.85M

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Isn’t McDuffie already a full time starter for them? I think Jaylen Watson will slide right in for Snead. Physical corner with a knack for the ball similar to Snead. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zevo said:

In 2020, in our 3 playoff games he had 20 receptions for 311 yds.  2 games >100 yds.

In 2021, he had 3 receptions for 60 yds vs NE, but that was the game where KC swung coverage to Diggs so hard that Gabe Davis went off for 200 yds and 4 TDs.

2022, 7 receptions for 114 yds vs Miami

2023, 7 receptions for 52 yds but we seem to have been using him on shorter passes towards the end of the season.

I think it's notable in both 2022 and 2023, his contributions seemed to fall off in the 2nd half of the season, whether due to cumulative dings and dangs that wore him down or ??

11 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Isn’t McDuffie already a full time starter for them? I think Jaylen Watson will slide right in for Snead. Physical corner with a knack for the ball similar to Snead. 

When I say "back out there" I mean outside as opposed to at nickel where he played most of 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

So do they take a CB first round again? Stay put or trade up? 🤔

They already have a stable of good corners ready to contribute. Even then they’ll probably draft a guy in the 7th that will be a star in 2 yrs. Kinda their MO at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 90sBills said:

It depends on how good the Titans will do this coming season. That could be a pick in the 60s. 

I was talking more in terms of if they look to trade the pick in this draft.  Future picks are worth a round later now.

• Like (+1) 1