CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what exactly would you call this?  

Have you seen what top WR are getting the last couple of years?  Heck, Samuel is getting what Zay Jones and JuJu are signed for.

It's a middle cost WR contract to me.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is extremely defeatist of me, but I am concerned they are not going to learn their lesson about WR and the first round WR may not be coming now.

Unfortunately, I think you're very likely correct.  My guess is that they're going DB at 28.  

Still,  I think this is a good signing.  I just hope they're willing to make another big investment at this position in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm thinking this too.  The more I think about it - we have that capital to trade up in round 2, and now it feels like we can really beef up the D-line in round 1 & still get a good receiver w/ the 2nd pick, given how deep this class is.

Exactly.  DE and WR are both equal needs but I think DE could have biggest impact on success of team.

We don't have a top tier DL player.  We have 1 tier two player (Ed), a tier 3 guy (Groot), tier 3-4 in AJE and Von. 

We need another DL player in the tier 2 category, or ideally potential to be an all-pro.  We won't have success late in playoffs with what we have now, just not good enough. 

We arent in position to get an elite player at DL on draft, but both Robinsons have different skill sets, and bring potential to be tier 2 guys relatively quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Curtis Samuel is more of a Slot guy. He's going to get a lot of usage all over the field. But for as much as you were joking, you weren't wrong that he isn't a full time Starter on the outside.

There's a lot of different looks we're going to give to have him on the field a lot. I think we're going to see a lot more of Kincaid with his hand on the ground. Diggs, Rookie, Samuel in the Slot with Kincaid at TE. 4 WR sets with Diggs, Rookie, Samuel, and Shakir. Etc. And some scenarios you'll have Samuel split out Wide. 

But the idea that Samuel creates a scenario where Round 1 WR is out and the Outside Spot is now completely covered isn't accurate.

See I like these convos to me if you put Samuel in the slot which is possible than Shakir isn’t playing because last years first round pick Kincaid needs a higher % of snaps than being a traditional Y.

it makes more sense to play Samuel outside so Shakir and Kincaid can do what they do best. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

the big fast receivers that can jump high and catch make top dollar in FA. no way we can afford . getting a tall guy doesnt mean ***** if he doesnt have the other three qualities.

were going to need to find a stud in the draft.

Obviously I'm hoping Beane can land an Odunze, Legette, Mitchell or Franklin in the draft. I guess, thats really where my hopes are. Again, no qualms with this signing, he's solid and very game. We're still missing a size element imho.

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

See I like these convos to me if you put Samuel in the slot which is possible than Shakir isn’t playing because last years first round pick Kincaid needs a higher % of snaps than being a traditional Y.

it makes more sense to play Samuel outside so Shakir and Kincaid can do what they do best. 

Agree with both sides of discussion, Samuel is versatile piece.  But another reason we don't "need" a RD1 WR.  

With Diggs, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid and Knox, that's already a solid group.  A WR in RD2, of the deepest draft at WR in history, is all we need.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly.  DE and WR are both equal needs but I think DE could have biggest impact on success of team.

We don't have a top tier DL player.  We have 1 tier two player (Ed), a tier 3 guy (Groot), tier 3-4 in AJE and Von. 

We need another DL player in the tier 2 category, or ideally potential to be an all-pro.  We won't have success late in playoffs with what we have now, just not good enough. 

We arent in position to get an elite player at DL on draft, but both Robinsons have different skill sets, and bring potential to be tier 2 guys relatively quickly.

DT is by far the biggest need. DE we at least have 3 solid ones in Rousseau, Miller, and Epenesa. We literally have 2 DTs on the roster right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Curtis Samuel is more of a Slot guy. He's going to get a lot of usage all over the field. But for as much as you were joking, you weren't wrong that he isn't a full time Starter on the outside.

There's a lot of different looks we're going to give to have him on the field a lot. I think we're going to see a lot more of Kincaid with his hand on the ground. Diggs, Rookie, Samuel in the Slot with Kincaid at TE. 4 WR sets with Diggs, Rookie, Samuel, and Shakir. Etc. And some scenarios you'll have Samuel split out Wide. 

But the idea that Samuel creates a scenario where Round 1 WR is out and the Outside Spot is now completely covered isn't accurate.

I want some credit! I’ve mentioned Samuel tons of times!!😎

Also I think this makes Thomas / Legette / AD as VERY likely 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Shakir and Kincaid will still get a lot of usage. We'll just need to be creative in our alignments. 

Putting Samuel on the Outside is doing the same thing you're saying about Kincaid and Shakir. Playing him mainly in the Slot and occasionally put Wide is where he's best. It's what he does.

Screenshot_20240314-181839.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

There isn't going to be a top Tier DE at 28,there will be a top wr at 28.

This is the year to draft Diggs replacement.  We did the whole overload picks on the DL.  WR needs to be the pick at 28.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I want some credit! I’ve mentioned Samuel tons of times!!! 😎

You are correct good sir.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

DT is by far the biggest need. DE we at least have 3 solid ones in Rousseau, Miller, and Epenesa. We literally have 2 DTs on the roster right now. 

Miller is a wild card, he either gets close to prior form OR he is washed up.  I think he'll rebound, but he's not going to be what he was in 2022 pre injury.  He's a rotational piece to me.

Von is also gone after this year, and AJE isn't a DE2 (he could be, but isn't yet). Groot isn't locked up longterm either.  I say DE is something that could impact the team the most.  

DT, I'm fine with Jones and Ed.  Find a viable backup in FA (either at 1 tech or 3 tech), draft the other later rounds.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Have you seen what top WR are getting the last couple of years?  Heck, Samuel is getting what Zay Jones and JuJu are signed for.

It's a solid #3 contract. High end #2's are making twice as much. 

9 minutes ago, Success said:

What's the lesson?

I still kind of hope we go WR in the 1st, but now it won't ruin me if they go w/ defense - which we also need, and probably more at this point. There will be very good receivers still available in round 2.

The lesson that surrounding Josh with weapons = good, and we are a twisted ankle away from Trent Sherfield 2.0 running routes and alligator arming passes.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Huge upgrade over Gabe Dropavis.  Sign a S and go BPA in the first and 2nd. 

Don’t say that, or the guy who says Dion D. Doesn’t show up out of shape and terrible the first couple weeks will tell you how Davis’ hands were actually elite no matter what. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This is the year to draft Diggs replacement.  We did the whole overload picks on the DL.  WR needs to be the pick at 28.

You are correct good sir.

There will be "close to equal" talent in RD2 at WR, if we move up to 50.  WR6-8 at 28, vs WR 10-14 in RD2 isn't much drop-off.

At DE, both Robinsons are tier 2 talents to me (potential).  Different skill sets, Chop brings the elite athleticism, while the other is more physical and can bounce inside too.  Either is worthy of 28

if Josh Allen is happy I'm Happy.

I hope for great chemistry and a welcome landing spot for Rainbows from 17 from all the receivers though. 

I realize the Bills will likely draft BPA or even trade up for their guy in the first round. It worked last year for Dalton Kincaid. If Beane can hit two picks like that I would be freaking ecstatic just sayin' Bring me that STUD WR . It reads as consensus opinion 

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He is a middle wr. Solid signing for a guy that will likely start but not a bargain or anything. 

Per PFF:

Samuel was an efficient target in Eric Bienemy’s Washington offense that spread the ball around more than any team in the NFL, hauling in just shy of 73% of passes thrown his way with just four drops on 85 targets in 2023. Samuel was used as a ball carrier in 2023 like he was in 2022 and previous seasons dating back to his Ohio State days. His Swiss Army knife skill set shows up with good change of direction in space and start-stop ability that is still above average at this stage of his career.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

It's a solid #3 contract. High end #2's are making twice as much. 

Pretty much agree.  After you consider the WRs under rookie contracts I got him closer to bottom #2 pay.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You have to look at the depth of the draft honestly. The DE and DT draft drops off big time after the first 5 or so while the WR crop is incredibly deep. I think that’s why the Bills made this move. 

Said the top 4 WRs are gone and WRs 5-10 let’s say are all similarly graded 

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This move makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the inevitability of Beane/McDermott drafting a defensive player in the first (and let’s face it… probably the second) round. 

Or a top tackle that may drop

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he’s not that small….. 5’11  194

could be used like another guy named Samuel over there in SF

in fact, that's kind of what Brady did with him in Carolina in 2020

fun fact: Curtis started at tailback for OSU in 2014 (right after Ezekiel Elliott)

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

What??? This can't be. I was told that the Bills weren't doing anything else of note (after day 2 of free agency).

That’s true, this is the matrix alternate nerd stuff. I’ve taken all the pills, so they can’t fool me

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Decent signing, more weapons for Josh is always good. Still need to target a WR at 28 IMO.

Draft our #2 and future #1 in draft. Diggs, Rookie, Samuel, Shakir. Then Hollins, Shorter, Hamler, Isabella, Shavers, Thompson fight it for final 2 spots.