I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

What a stupid, idiotic, outdated, nonsensical idea!

It should be year round so it's not getting dark when I get home from work

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I was flying back on Saturday night from the west coast to the east coast on a 5 pm flight. The flight got delayed. Then you add the hour for daylight savings!! Went to sleep at 4:30 am! 

Every damn year I hear this is going to be the last time for turning back and or forward the clock and I actually used to believe it at one point!

I fully prepared myself this weekend to wake up for work Monday feeling as grumpy as I did the morning after the Chiefs loss.  

Edited by Another Fan

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So you're in favor of the sun rising at 4:00 AM and setting at 8:00 PM in the summer?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Tuco said:

So you're in favor of the sun rising at 4:00 AM and setting at 8:00 PM in the summer?

Staying up late is bad for health. We tried full time DST in 1970, failed miserably. 

Yes. Because it's healthier. I don't want the sun to rise at 0930 in winter because that's really bad for your health.

No energy savings and nothing but health risks like obesity, diabetes, etc...

The science has spoken:

https://www.livescience.com/health/sleep/the-case-against-daylight-saving-from-a-neurologist-and-sleep-expert

https://time.com/6899121/daylight-savings-time-internal-clocks-essay/

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Every damn year I hear this is going to be the last time for turning back and or forward the clock and I actually used to believe it at one point!

I fully prepared myself this weekend to wake up for work Monday feeling as grumpy as I did the morning after the Chiefs loss.  

Hopefully come November it's the last time we fall back.  Fall back and stay there. The stats, experts don't lie. DST is killing us.

There's a reason why "standard time" exists. 

Morning light is more important for our bodies.

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2022/03/28/why-permanent-daylight-saving-time-bad-idea

• Like (+1) 2

Shortening standard time to ~4 months under GWB was a half measure. 

Make DST permanent! Afternoon sun in the winter rather than at 6am. Keeping standard time and/or continuing to change the clocks increases energy use / consumption.

2 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Move to Arizona

Hate it break it to you sunshine. Changing the clocks is probably the best compromise. 

20 States want permanent Standard Time.

22 States want permanent DST.

The States that want permanent DST should kick more money into the health system.  DST causes more damage. 

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

There are some states you can move to without DST.

Or we just let every State pick what they want. Right now it's almost 50/50.

How well will that go? 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was flying back on Saturday night from the west coast to the east coast on a 5 pm flight. The flight got delayed. Then you add the hour for daylight savings!! Went to sleep at 4:30 am! 

Last (Saturday) night, I flew to the pacific time zone from Eastern time at 7pm. Daylight savings after arrival, then drove back east into Mountain time this morning. My body clock is way off 

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Staying up late is bad for health. We tried full time DST in 1970, failed miserably. 

Yes. Because it's healthier. I don't want the sun to rise at 0930 in winter because that's really bad for your health.

No energy savings and nothing but health risks like obesity, diabetes, etc...

The science has spoken:

https://www.livescience.com/health/sleep/the-case-against-daylight-saving-from-a-neurologist-and-sleep-expert

https://time.com/6899121/daylight-savings-time-internal-clocks-essay/

Hopefully come November it's the last time we fall back.  Fall back and stay there. The stats, experts don't lie. DST is killing us.

There's a reason why "standard time" exists. 

Morning light is more important for our bodies.

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2022/03/28/why-permanent-daylight-saving-time-bad-idea

That's why everyone in Alaska is dead at 50.... oh wait

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Last (Saturday) night, I flew to the pacific time zone from Eastern time at 7pm. Daylight savings after arrival, then drove back east into Mountain time this morning. My body clock is way off 

sounds brutal. Good luck recovering! 

Probably due to my body being all messed up, I have come down with a bad head cold! 

1 hour ago, blitzboy54 said:

That's why everyone in Alaska is dead at 50.... oh wait

Uh no. Only 700k in Akaska, there's more people in my county than all of Alaska and they are driving around in an area 1,000x smaller.  😆

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

On the flip side it stays light out later. When they turn the clocks back for the winter it feels like it's a midnight out when I am leaving work around 6PM.

That's a healthy thing.  Start getting ready for bed in a few hours. 😉 

DayLightSavingTimeAndBody.thumb.jpg.6431200028ad3118464e8724580879f6.jpg

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

On the flip side it stays light out later. When they turn the clocks back for the winter it feels like it's a midnight out when I am leaving work around 6PM.

Exactly!

id rather have extra daylight after work, when I can actually enjoy it.

IDGAF if it’s light out or not when I go to work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Uh no. Only 700k in Akaska, there's more people in my county than all of Alaska and they are driving around in an area 1,000x smaller.  😆

That's a healthy thing.  Start getting ready for bed in a few hours. 😉 

DayLightSavingTimeAndBody.thumb.jpg.6431200028ad3118464e8724580879f6.jpg

I understand but they are on the extreme end of this "not healthy" nonsense. People have lived on a clock based schedule long before day light savings time. Alaskans function just fine.  If you want to keep the clock changes fine but make a better argument because this is garbage. 

43 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

I understand but they are on the extreme end of this "not healthy" nonsense. People have lived on a clock based schedule long before day light savings time. Alaskans function just fine.  If you want to keep the clock changes fine but make a better argument because this is garbage. 

Stats don't lie. Probably same number up there too, but just not noticeable because there's really nobody there AND most importantly:

It just doesn't matter up there, DST. You give a bad example.

https://www.ktoo.org/2022/03/23/alaska-permanent-daylight-saving/

Little bit different up there. They also get almost 24 hours of sun on the other end of the season. It's either all dark or light.  

"...In spring time, as we gallop toward summer solstice, we don’t need to advance the clock to get more light in the evening. Just wait a few day and the globe does that for us.  ..."

13 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

7:28am in Florida….still dark!

Better than 9:30am sunrise here in winter if we stayed on DST permanently. 

I live on east edge of CentralTimeZone, does that mean the poor people on west edge of EasternTime wouldn't see sunrise in winter until 10:30 am if on DST year round @ this particular Norther latitude?

IMO... What will happen is nothing.  We moved DST as wide as possible with out totally screwing the Northern latitudes.  Right now, the remaining states are 50/50 between permanent ST/DST.

UNLESS we just give every State the option to choose. Hey, that sounds fair. 😉

AZ/HI/Territories get to choose. Why can't the other 48 states and DC choose what they want?😏

This really is a North-South struggle.

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Lord, I can't go back there.

BUT Indiana wants YOU!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The whole idea of saving an hour/losing an hour is archaic.

It's like the government actually having people believe that you can create a longer blanket by cutting off the top half and sewing it to the bottom half.

On 3/10/2024 at 11:01 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hate it break it to you sunshine. Changing the clocks is probably the best compromise. 

20 States want permanent Standard Time.

22 States want permanent DST.

The States that want permanent DST should kick more money into the health system.  DST causes more damage. 

Or we just let every State pick what they want. Right now it's almost 50/50.

How well will that go? 😆 

And the other 8 states? 

They want;

a hippopotamus for Christmas?

candy?

it that a way?

to know what love it?

to break free?

On 3/11/2024 at 7:28 AM, Bob Jones said:

7:28am in Florida….still dark!

I live in Florida as well. This is one of the states pushing for permanent DST. I'm quite certain a big reason is tourism. Visitors like to get up and watch the sun rise on the Eastern side and sun set on the Western side. In both cases it's better if it's later. You can sleep in a bit before the sun rises, and it's nicer to go to dinner around 7pm, then have drinks and watch the sun set. In the winter you'd have to get the early bird special before watching the sun set. 

On 3/10/2024 at 6:34 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On cape cod in June and July, without Daylight Savings Time the sun would already be up for 20 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I live in Florida as well. This is one of the states pushing for permanent DST. I'm quite certain a big reason is tourism. Visitors like to get up and watch the sun rise on the Eastern side and sun set on the Western side. In both cases it's better if it's later. You can sleep in a bit before the sun rises, and it's nicer to go to dinner around 7pm, then have drinks and watch the sun set. In the winter you'd have to get the early bird special before watching the sun set. 

And because of their LATITUDE. More consistent length of days throughout the year. Closer to the equator and poles,  it really doesn't matter. With stuff like this, the middle latitudes bear more of a burden.

It's pretty disingenuous of Florida.  They wouldn't be pushing this crap if there were health effects affecting driven by their latitude.  Oh wait, there are. 😏 

Why do they even wanna fuq w/us given the already increased middle latitude burden:

https://www.neurologylive.com/view/multiple-sclerosis-severity-associated-latitude-temperate-zones-driven-uvb-exposure

Do we mess around with their hurricane funding?

If we all lived at the same latitude and had similar length of days consistently throughout the year, then fine.