Pats now have 101 million in cap space - What would you do with that?

Virgil

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Damn good plan.  I'd for sure try to lure Kirk there for an immediate remedy at QB and that may entice Evans to join him.  

Already having Rhamondre Stevenson at RB, I'd go with the cheaper option of Ekeler rather than Saquon, then draft Marvin Harrison Jr or Drake Maye, if you believe in his talent.  Perfect position for him to sit and learn behind Cousins for a year or 2.

Your offense is now set and one of the best in the league on paper.

Kick Cousins and 31yo Mike Evans make them one of the best offenses in the league on paper? Lol.

They would still easily be the 4th best team in the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Process said:

Kick Cousins and 31yo Mike Evans make them one of the best offenses in the league on paper? Lol.

One of the best offenses in the league is silly, but with their cap space and the amount of offensive talent available this offseason, they could be a playoff contender next season if they play their cards right.

They need alot.  Hard to attract premier skill players without a Qb.  That is a problem.  Need alot of speed on defense aswell.  Its a full on rebuild.  Gonzalez probably the best piece they have but got hurt.  Curious to see how they go about it.  Seems Kraft(s) are more involved. Assume they push hard for Maye. 

They are in a great position to build a good team but they need to find a qb.  Vet like Cousin's or draft pick?   They should maintain cap for future years also but everything hinges on the qb.   Wr is nice but it pales in comparison to getting the qb right.  

8 hours ago, BBFL said:

They said the same thing about Houston… Granted the AFCS isn’t as strong as the East but the Pats could do a complete 180° if they play it smart. The defense is pretty solid in the secondary and interior/edge play of the box. A QB and some better protection, a few extra weapons; TE and a WR, another RB to compliment Stevenson sprinkled with some extra depth on defense and they are well on their way. They’re in a serious position to fix it in one year. 

A lot of big names they can splash the cash on and still have significant room to play with. It comes down to whether they go QB in the draft or FA and take the next best option to restart the franchise in MHJ; if he’s there. 

If they don’t go QB in the draft and trade back to settle for Nabers/Odunze/Thomas Jr/Bowers then Mayfield or Cousins are a relatively feasible option. 

Personally I am not counting them out of turning it around. 

Yeah, it's possible, and not barely possible.

An awful lot will depend on the QB. With Cousins, very possible. Me, I'd rather see them bring in Cousins than draft a guy and do a good job with the pick.

I'd make a trade with the Buffalo Bills for Von Miller and pay all of the dead cap monies it'll cost them to trade him. Von will make life a living hell for Allen, Rodgers and Tuna.

Then we'll draft that small WR, Mc something or other because we hear the Bills will draft him and we can nip that in the bud.

We have faith in Mac Jones and will sign him to a lucrative new deal.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Process said:

They already have a good to great defense. And all their offense was missing was wrs and a qb. I'm not saying they'd win the afc east or have the best offense in the league (I agree that is silly) with them but I feel they would make the playoffs and be relevant again and I feel that's what Mayo would want as a first time hc a savvy vet qb who is average to above average and Kraft just wants to be relevant again so he would be on board.. 

6 minutes ago, dje85 said:

They already have a good to great defense. And all their offense was missing was wrs and a qb. I'm not saying they'd win the afc east or have the best offense in the league (I agree that is silly) with them but I feel they would make the playoffs and be relevant again and I feel that's what Mayo would want as a first time hc a savvy vet qb who is average to above average and Kraft just wants to be relevant again so he would be on board.. 

I disagree very strongly that they have a good to great defense. They have one of the worst rosters in the league, both sides of the ball, and are no where near being able to compete in the AFC. IMO. 

7 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Yeah but they'll be drafting a QB of the future.  Who are they getting at QB to bridge the gap that will be good, for a reasonable price and length of contract?

Just now, Process said:

I disagree very strongly that they have a good to great defense. They have one of the worst rosters in the league, both sides of the ball, and are no where near being able to compete in the AFC. IMO. 

And Mayo again is an unproven HC and unknown as sole DC.  He's certainly no Belicheat when it comes to defense.

1 minute ago, Process said:

Seventh in yards allowed, despite being consistently put in awful positions by their awful offense. 5th in defensive DVOA.

They're absolutely good to great on defense. Maybe closer to good than great, but probably closer to very good than good.

27 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Seventh in yards allowed, despite being consistently put in awful positions by their awful offense. 5th in defensive DVOA.

They're absolutely good to great on defense. Maybe closer to good than great, but probably closer to very good than good.

Look at their schedule last year, it was a joke. Every single "good" team they played out up 20+. 

Weren't they top 2 in defensive dvoa the year the bills had the best offensive game in NFL history vs them? Meaningless metric imo. 

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Duggar, Mills, Guy, Jackson, Jennings and Uche are UFAs on defense.  And they lose the greatest defensive mind in NFL history.

5 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Sign Cousins, draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Seems pretty straightforward.

I'd be surprised if they didn't go QB in this draft.

I'm really hoping it's Maye.  It would be kind of like Bledsoe, the sequel.  Bledsoe was a fine QB, but nowhere near the top QB's currently playing in the AFC.

The thing about having that much cap space it means you have very few players on your roster that are worthy of extensions so you have little depth to begin with. 

You can go out and sign a bunch of free agents but then you gotta hope once they get big dollars that they aren’t going to just take it easy and not really going to play all out. 
Still the Pats can completely rebuild their roster with that kinda coin and probably still finish last in their division. 

• Like (+1) 1

And NO franchise QB, No real cornerstone players, & are starting all over again right where the Bills were say 8 years ago ?? Once you have the franchise QB everything changes for that team when it comes to the cap ! 

Then when you find "That Guy" you have 5 years to make it work the Bills are 1 of the examples of how a team comes up to be a much better team that is in the hunt every year .

The Pats under BB set the standard of how to keep it going for many many years by releasing veterans & not paying them, bring ing in younger talent or other lessor FA's to keep them relevant with out breaking the bank . 

Then there are the Saints ...

23 hours ago, Process said:

Huh?  Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB that targets his #1 guys.  Mike Evans is Mike Evans.  He's playing better than Diggs with Baker Mayfield at QB. 

Evans, Devante Parker and Harrison Jr are a damn good trio, with Stevenson and Ekeler at RB.  

This Bills lost to Mac Jones and you think this team would be pushovers?

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I would trade a 3rd for Russell Wilson. 

Draft Marvin Harrison 

Sign Mike Evans to s 3 yr deal

Sign Henry to a 2 year deal

Keep Jones as a backup for one more year

Use rest of the cap and draft on OL and DL

I can understand your first two lines but putting OL and DL as the afterthoughts after a bunch of offense is not really how good teams get built.  The teams that wn the SB focus heavlily on OL and DL.

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Huh?  Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB that targets his #1 guys.  Mike Evans is Mike Evans.  He's playing better than Diggs with Baker Mayfield at QB. 

Evans, Devante Parker and Harrison Jr are a damn good trio, with Stevenson and Ekeler at RB.  

This Bills lost to Mac Jones and you think this team would be pushovers?

With MHJr yea that's a nice looking O. I was replying as if they took Maye. 

Cousins is coming off an Achilles and Evans is getting up there in age. Plus an unproven defensive HC. I still don't think they'd be a major threat in the AFC but yea they wouldn't be pushovers.

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I can understand your first two lines but putting OL and DL as the afterthoughts after a bunch of offense is not really how good teams get built.  The teams that wn the SB focus heavlily on OL and DL.

Yeah I agree but their DL is already pretty good. 

I guess I put them after the other ones because I don't have any specific players to target. Maybe Tyron Smith as it looks like Dallas is going to let him go. He is still very good and can play either OT spot probably for a few more years. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

With MHJr yea that's a nice looking O. I was replying as if they took Maye. 

Cousins is coming off an Achilles and Evans is getting up there in age. Plus an unproven defensive HC. I still don't think they'd be a major threat in the AFC but yea they wouldn't be pushovers.

For a season or 2, they'd be trouble.

It's definitely not a long term solution.

Sign a bunch of the free agent Tight Ends again

Now that the "greatest GM of all time" is gone, they will likely do something more logical.