McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

https://theathletic.com/5299472/2024/02/26/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-nfl-combine/

Also, about people who say he can't win a Super Bowl: “You can’t listen,” said McDermott, who’ll turn 50 next month. “I believe we’re doing things the right way. You only fail if you quit, and I’ve never done that. I’ve never been about that. Whatever it is, you always figure it out. You always find a way to get there. The only thing left to do for us at this point is win an AFC championship and win a Super Bowl, which is pretty darn good. There’s not too many organizations that can say that over the last seven years. We’ve done everything else you can do, and that is what gets us out of bed in the morning.”

About the tough losses the Bills have had: “Anybody that says they’re not affected by a loss in this line of work isn’t being honest,” McDermott said. “There’s a degree of, ‘Hey, did I do the right thing? Did I do enough to help my team?’ But then you need to be able to come back to ‘No, I know I gave it my all. I put in everything I could have put into it.’

“We’ve played those games once, but I’ve played them a million times in my mind. Every last one of them from the first game against the Jets in 2017 to that game right there a million times. That’s where your confidence gets affected the most because then you start to lose who you are and trusting your gut and your experience and your preparation.”

About the fake punt to Hamlin against KC: “Had I not faked that punt, with what I knew going into that situation, it would have been a failure had I not tried,” McDermott said. “I would have gone home that night saying, ‘What would have happened had I faked that punt?’ It didn’t work out that specific situation in that in that particular moment, but I need to do everything I can to help our team win.”

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

https://theathletic.com/5299472/2024/02/26/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-nfl-combine/

Also, about people who say he can't win a Super Bowl: “You can’t listen,” said McDermott, who’ll turn 50 next month. “I believe we’re doing things the right way. You only fail if you quit, and I’ve never done that. I’ve never been about that. Whatever it is, you always figure it out. You always find a way to get there. The only thing left to do for us at this point is win an AFC championship and win a Super Bowl, which is pretty darn good. There’s not too many organizations that can say that over the last seven years. We’ve done everything else you can do, and that is what gets us out of bed in the morning.”

About the tough losses the Bills have had: “Anybody that says they’re not affected by a loss in this line of work isn’t being honest,” McDermott said. “There’s a degree of, ‘Hey, did I do the right thing? Did I do enough to help my team?’ But then you need to be able to come back to ‘No, I know I gave it my all. I put in everything I could have put into it.’

“We’ve played those games once, but I’ve played them a million times in my mind. Every last one of them from the first game against the Jets in 2017 to that game right there a million times. That’s where your confidence gets affected the most because then you start to lose who you are and trusting your gut and your experience and your preparation.”

About the fake punt to Hamlin against KC: “Had I not faked that punt, with what I knew going into that situation, it would have been a failure had I not tried,” McDermott said. “I would have gone home that night saying, ‘What would have happened had I faked that punt?’ It didn’t work out that specific situation in that in that particular moment, but I need to do everything I can to help our team win.”

Stop giving Allen weapons chosen so low in the draft. Get him another Quality WR or two.  Then hit on draft picks for the DL instead of drafting guys that turn out to be JAGs.  That is what's left you can do.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Stop giving Allen weapons chosen so low in the draft. Get him another Quality WR or two.  Then hit on draft picks for the DL instead of drafting guys that turn out to be JAGs.  That is what's left you can do.

Allen has had weapons. Let’s not act like he hasn’t. The offense has been one of the best.

People act like they are one of the worst.

They have a hole at WR. They will fill it with a talented WR. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Had the Bills given up points after that fake punt and the Chiefs had gone up 2 scores, putting the ball in Hamlin's hands in that situation would have been right up there with one of the absolute dumbest calls in NFL history. 

Don't get me wrong. Still a dumb call but it didn't really play into the outcome. Putting the ball in a guys hands that spent most of the year inactive and isn't even a returner who is used to having the ball in his hands and making moves in space is NOT doing all he can to help the team win. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I brought up this stat before but it still is amazing how ridiculously good his qb is and how his vaunted defense has let them down time and again.
The Bills were the only team as of Thanksgiving that did not have a wr drafted originally before the 4th round. 

If McDermott is saying “when” it means he’s hearing the pressure from the national media that at some point your QB can’t keep bailing out your defense and it’s time to look at exactly what you’re doing. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This will turn into a McD bash thread, but I have no issues with his answers. Felt like something other than coach talk. 

You are psychic. 

Of course, two out of three threads on the board turn into McDermott bash threads. It could not possibly get more tiresome. 

Edited by Dr. K

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I brought up this stat before but it still is amazing how ridiculously good his qb is and how his vaunted defense has let them down time and again.
The Bills were the only team as of Thanksgiving that did not have a wr drafted originally before the 4th round. 

If McDermott is saying “when” it means he’s hearing the pressure from the national media that at some point your QB can’t keep bailing out your defense and it’s time to look at exactly what you’re doing. 

Unless that pressure is coming from Terry he isn't going anywhere. I do hope Beane can bring in another weapon at WR in this draft as well shore up some holes on defense. Then we should be good to go.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen has had weapons. Let’s not act like he hasn’t. The offense has been one of the best.

Josh has had Diggs, yes. He had a couple years where Beasley was the failsafe outlet, yes. Outside of those two, who has he had? John Brown? Please. An on his last legs Emmanuel Sanders? An inconsistent Knox and Gabe Davis? Cook emerged this year, but also had some big drops in the passing games at times. They drafted Kincaid, who will only get better. Truth is Allen has been the offense mostly just because of the player he is, outside of Diggs being his #1. His OL has also been EXTREMELY suspect up until this past season where they were better, but still not KC, SF, Philly, or Dallas good. No one is saying the offense is the worst. But he doesn't have McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk. He doesn't have Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. He doesn't have Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle. He doesn't have Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. He hasn't had some of the weapons like many of the top offenses in the league. Like I said, he does more on his own. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not really.

I’ve said it many times on here. I believe McDs heart is in the right place but he keeps failing in the critical moments year after year. It’s just possible that he’s plateaued at the playoff contender level we’ve all witnessed. Good, of course, but not great. You eventually run out of seasons and excuses for failing to get over the hump. And, I have no idea why the fake punt even enters the conversation. It had NOTHING to do with why they lost that game. So I’ll continue to cheer like crazy as I have for the last 60 seasons but I don’t sense that the current brain trust is ascending towards anything much more than we’ve seen over the past few years. Again, really good, and very fun, but not great. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Josh has had Diggs, yes. He had a couple years where Beasley was the failsafe outlet, yes. Outside of those two, who has he had? John Brown? Please. An on his last legs Emmanuel Sanders? An inconsistent Knox and Gabe Davis? Cook emerged this year, but also had some big drops in the passing games at times. They drafted Kincaid, who will only get better. Truth is Allen has been the offense mostly just because of the player he is, outside of Diggs being his #1. His OL has also been EXTREMELY suspect up until this past season where they were better, but still not KC, SF, Philly, or Dallas good. No one is saying the offense is the worst. But he doesn't have McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk. He doesn't have Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. He doesn't Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle. He doesn't have Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. He hasn't had some of the weapons like many of the top offenses in the league. Like I said, he does more on his own. 

He’s never going to have those weapons unless the Bills get really lucky in the draft.

He needs a true primary target, true secondary target, and a solid OL. 

Diggs - primary

Kincaid - secondary 

OL - solid

They do need to replace Diggs soon and that’s where they need to draft well.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve said it many times on here. I believe McDs heart is in the right place but he keeps failing in the critical moments year after year. It’s just possible that he’s plateaued at the playoff contender level we’ve all witnessed. Good, of course, but not great. You eventually run out of seasons and excuses for failing to get over the hump. And, I have no idea why the fake punt even enters the conversation. It had NOTHING to do with why they lost that game. So I’ll continue to cheer like crazy as I have for the last 60 seasons but I don’t sense that the current brain trust is ascending towards anything much more than we’ve seen over the past few years. Again, really good, and very fun, but not great. 

Man, he’s lost to Mahomes and Burrow. Let’s stop acting like there’s some hero out there that will definitely beat Mahomes and Burrow.

Ive said this before, maybe he’ll get lucky like Cowher/Tomlin Steelers. They avoided Tom Brady in both Super Bowl runs. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You would think the steam would be out of this argument considering the state of the world champs receiving corps 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What I read in McDs comments is that he is out of ideas. Feels to me like his strategy is to go another season hoping our opponent screws up at our time of need. 

That’s not what I take from it, at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

Why can't he simply say, "I wasn't good enough that day"? 🤷

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man, he’s lost to Mahomes and Burrow. Let’s stop acting like there’s some hero out there that will definitely beat Mahomes and Burrow.

Ive said this before, maybe he’ll get lucky like Cowher/Tomlin Steelers. They avoided Tom Brady in both Super Bowl runs. 

There is no luck to it.  Build a team that Cincinnati and KC has to beat.

In my opinion, Sean can’t wrap his head around the idea that he needs to change up his defensive scheme in clutch post season moments, as he keeps doing the same things repeatedly, and our post season opponents have his defense figured out under those circumstances, Sean is a really good HC, what he isn’t is an innovator of new ideas, and it’s holding him and the team back. I absolutely love that McDermott, Beane and especially Pegula, resurrected  the Bills into being a really good football team, so, that’s my view of Sean, always hoping for the best. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

There is no luck to it.  Build a team that Cincinnati and KC has to beat.

There is an absurd amount of luck to it. We had a team that KC had to beat and would not have beat if half the defense didn't get hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

In my opinion, Sean can’t wrap his head around the idea that he needs to change up his defensive scheme in clutch post season moments, as he keeps doing the same things repeatedly, and our post season opponents have his defense figured out under those circumstances, Sean is a really good HC, what he isn’t is an innovator if new ideas, and it’s holding him and the team back. I absolutely love that McDermott, Beane and especially Pegula, resurrected  the Bills into being a really good football team, so, that’s my view of Sean, always hoping for the best. 

This is why I am hoping Babich has no leash. I hope he gets asked about calling the defense during his interviews at the combine this week. Interesting to hear what he says

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This will turn into a McD bash thread, but I have no issues with his answers. Felt like something other than coach talk. 

Until I hear him say out loud "13 seconds was my fault, I got tight and made a mistake" I will never believe anything that comes out of his mouth. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

This just reinforces what I've thought all along......whatever good qualities McD may possess, he is sorely lacking accountability and intelligence.

He says the only failure is quitting?

News flash, you can try your hardest and fail year after year after year if you're not good enough or make enough mistakes.  He seems to think you are guaranteed to win a SB if you just keep trying real hard. 👏  

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1