Woody Johnson delivers ultimatum to Jets leadership, praises Rodgers

Woody Johnson once again proving why the Jets will crash and burn... two comments that are very telling:

• On GM Douglas and HC Saleh: "The discussions I've had in the last couple of months, they've seen me about as mad as I can be with what was going on, with the offense particularly," Johnson said, according to reports. "We have all this talent, and we have to deploy talent properly. So I think they all got the message. This is it. This is the time to go. We've got to produce this year."
  • On Aaron Rodgers: The Jets have been criticized for giving Rodgers too much power within the organization, but Johnson said he values the input.

"He has strong opinions on the way the team is built, and we are digesting exactly how to interpret that," he said. "You need an interpreter a little bit there, but I couldn't be more impressed."

In essence he is allowing Rodgers to subvert the GM and the HC because he is impressed by him. Just WOW.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39487773/got-produce-year

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is where you see what kind of an idiot Johnson is. First off, I fully acknowledge that Wilson has looked bad. No argument.

However, they picked him so high because they saw some talent in him. And truthfully, that potential is still there IMO. They have done nothing but jerk the kid around almost refusing to give him proper grooming. They stuck him behind one of the worst OLs I have ever seen and then blamed Wilson for not winning. They messed this kid up. While he was never going to be a Mahomes or Allen, they totally destroyed any shot of him being a decent NFL starter.

Then on top of it, they go ahead and the owner says something like this that eliminated any (small) value Wilson still had on the way out. No wonder Wilson reportedly wasn't interested in playing the last few games for the Jets. 

I really hope he ends up somewhere that can help him recalibrate a bit. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is where you see what kind of an idiot Johnson is. First off, I fully acknowledge that Wilson has looked bad. No argument.

However, they picked him so high because they saw some talent in him. And truthfully, that potential is still there IMO. They have done nothing but jerk the kid around almost refusing to give him proper grooming. They stuck him behind one of the worst OLs I have ever seen and then blamed Wilson for not winning. They messed this kid up. While he was never going to be a Mahomes or Allen, they totally destroyed any shot of him being a decent NFL starter.

Then on top of it, they go ahead and the owner says something like this that eliminated any (small) value Wilson still had on the way out. No wonder Wilson reportedly wasn't interested in playing the last few games for the Jets. 

Him going to the Giants and being a super star would be the most hilarious thing

Dude has plenty of talent and he has shown flashes. The Jets have been a dumpster fire his entire time there. Be curious if he has a Geno like career 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Jets, Bwahahahahaha, burn baby burn, 

I liked the part where Johnson said that it was unacceptable that they weren't better with all that talent on offense.

Bad OL, 1 WR and no QB...........but yeah.......ALL THAT talent.  😂

Woody should have reviewed Saleh's receipts and fired him after the 2022 season............but I'm glad he didn't.

• Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Him going to the Giants and being a super star would be the most hilarious thing

Dude has plenty of talent and he has shown flashes. The Jets have been a dumpster fire his entire time there. Be curious if he has a Geno like career 

Honestly, I know this will be unpopular but I would consider having him here as QB3 and see if the improvement in coaching and talent around him can help rebuild him. And I think being in the room with Josh would give him a different approach. Maybe turns into a good backup.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Honestly, I know this will be unpopular but I would consider having him here as QB3 and see if the improvement in coaching and talent around him can help rebuild him. And I think being in the room with Josh would give him a different approach. Maybe turns into a good backup.

Wilson's physical ability was never in question. He can make all the throws needed at the NFL level. He can also scramble to avoid the rush and gain yards running the ball like Allen does. His biggest problem is mental. Maybe coaching can fix that I don't know. He doesn't go thru his reads, progressions fast enough at the NFL level. He doesn't trust what he is seeing and that leads him to making poor decisions. 

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Wilson's physical ability was never in question. He can make all the throws needed at the NFL level. He can also scramble to avoid the rush and gain yards running the ball like Allen does. His biggest problem is mental. Maybe coaching can fix that I don't know. He doesn't go thru his reads, progressions fast enough at the NFL level. He doesn't trust what he is seeing and that leads him to making poor decisions. 

He has had a few games here and there where is he awesome. The worst thing for him was having to play this year. If anyone needed a redshirt year it was Wilson. 

He may flame out, but I’m sure someone will give him an opportunity to be a backup somewhere. Rams, Bills, teams with stability at the top and good coaching would be a nice spot for him 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wouldn't mind him as even primary backup. How many 2nd QB's are better that are available? At this point it's more mental for him than anything. Get him out of NYC and a more stable franchise, I think he can be a decent backup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The Jets won’t crash and burn because the owner is expressing concerns about the team’s on field offensive production or because they value the opinion and input of an aging HOF QB well past his prime.

The Jets will crash and burn because they don’t have a young stud QB and an offensive coaching staff worth speaking of, like every other team in the league they will remain on the outside looking in until they get the QB.

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He has had a few games here and there where is he awesome. The worst thing for him was having to play this year. If anyone needed a redshirt year it was Wilson. 

He may flame out, but I’m sure someone will give him an opportunity to be a backup somewhere. Rams, Bills, teams with stability at the top and good coaching would be a nice spot for him 

The Rams would be a good spot for him. McVay is a good coach and Stafford is 36. So, if he excels there, he could get a 2nd shot at being a starter down the line. With Buffalo he would just be a backup and nothing more.

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I agree with this assessment. 

I do think not only coaching but improvement in protection can help elevate him. Behind that Jet line he's been used to having no time to progress reads. For lack of a better term he sees ghosts even in a clean pocket. Hard to blame him there. 

I also think that both his OCs have tried to fit him into their offense rather than see what he does do well and tailor playcalling to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

The Rams would be a good spot for him. McVay is a good coach and Stafford is 36. So, if he excels there, he could get a 2nd shot at being a starter down the line. With Buffalo he would just be a backup and nothing more.

I thought Baker would stay behind Stafford for a year in that role and possibly take over next year

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I liked the part where Johnson said that it was unacceptable that they weren't better with all that talent on offense.

Bad OL, 1 WR and no QB...........but yeah.......ALL THAT talent.  😂

Woody should have reviewed Saleh's receipts and fired him after the 2022 season............but I'm glad he didn't.

Yea I was thinking that. Does Woody think Allen Lazard and the ghost of Randall Cobb equates to talent?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree with this assessment. 

I do think not only coaching but improvement in protection can help elevate him. Behind that Jet line he's been used to having no time to progress reads. For lack of a better term he sees ghosts even in a clean pocket. Hard to blame him there. 

I also think that both his OCs have tried to fit him into their offense rather than see what he does do well and tailor playcalling to that. 

I said when he was coming out I thought he needed an offense with a lot of spread principles, pick your matchup pre snap and get the ball out fast. They have tried to fit him into the West Coast paint by numbers system and he can't execute it. At this stage though I think he might be damaged goods to the extent he ever had a chance. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah I think we figured that out when you expressed how much you hoped he got put in a better situation.   Like anyone is really personally invested in that trust fund baby if they don't want him on their team. 😂

But let me warn you.........Buffalo is apparently no place to try to develop a young QB.........the general consensus is that Patrick Mahomes would have never made it in Buffalo!

And I'd also add that there shouldn't be a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster.   So backup or bust for Wilson.   Need that extra spot for depth at other positions given that there is likely to be a bit less quality depth due to cap constraints.

• Like (+1) 1

there is no amount of losing that woody johnson should be dealt that would be to much.

I hope rodgers plays every snap next season and stinks out loud and they have to completely restart in 25 like an expansion team.

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Like we rebuilt Trubisky? Sometimes suck just gonna suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If you ignore the nuclear disaster that the Sabres are, sure 

The Sabres are the sacrifice we need to keep Terry Pegula busy and not meddling in the football operations.

Night and day difference between orgs. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I was thinking that. Does Woody think Allen Lazard and the ghost of Randall Cobb equates to talent?

Well, Aaron Rodgers told him that they equated to talent and Woody Johnson chose to believe Aaron Rodgers over his HC and GM. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They did Wilson the same way the Browns did Mayfield. These 2 organizations are almost identical in the idiotic moves they make.  They deserve everything they get.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.