Why the Josh Allen hate (draft reaction)?

Gman10

As an anti-Allen pre draft my concern in watching his college highlights it felt like he relied on his athletic traits. Usually when get to the NFL it gets equalled out. Toss in bad completion percentage and low level Conference. One thing pre draft writeups didn't cover is his willingness to improve/accountability/drive to succeed/leadership etc. I've never been happy to be so wrong when I muttered "Wrong Josh" after the selection of Allen.

I'm sure there were plenty of bad reactions but that compilation video from a year ago is definitely focused on as many bad ones as it could find.

I remember when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones, man the live broadcast could not hide that reaction.

6 minutes ago, Westside said:

Ahhhhh……..the good ol’ days!

Nah the good ol' days was ICE wanting to fire everyone in sight after a loss 😄 or the board getting Jay Rosen'd or endless Belinda posts.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Process said:

Everyone wanted this guy 

QqtMUfpD_400x400.jpg

I thought all four of the top guys had a good chance to be very successful. But I had wrong Josh here as my third preference, and Allen as my fourth. That didn't work out quite so well, looking back.

But plenty argued with me that Allen had no shot. I argued he really did. At least I was right on that.

Many people absolutely hated the Allen choice. Many didn't, but many did.

11 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

You don’t have to wonder what people thought. Here it all is in glorious detail:

Is there a way to search to see if a user made a post in a certain thread? I want to see if I posted in there but don't want to look through 100 pages lol.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

People believed all the draft experts … 

That and Rosen felt Brady esque in that he didn't have an elite arm but was good at reading defenses. Able to lead his team back (see win at USC). He just seemed to be the safest QB to draft. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

I’m not right often but I was thrilled when we took him. His physical traits were elite. He just needed some refinement. People just listened to the “experts” on ESPN. 

Some at ESPN hated him. Others loved him. Kiper loved him.

Yes, his traits were elite. Everyone knew that. Know who else had elite traits? JaMarcus Russell.

Traits aren't everything. They absolutely are something. A very real part of what makes a great QB. But they aren't the final word by any measure.

There were real concerns with Josh for people who weren't thinking he'd succeed. His completion percentage was a real red flag, a legitimate cause for worry. Most QBs with low completion percentages in college don't succeed in raising that percentage much. But a few have, as I pointed out over and over. Kiper among others thought he could improve it.

This wasn't all about the experts. It was plenty about people, including ordinary fans, believing that red flag was a picture of the future. 

30 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

I’m not right often but I was thrilled when we took him. His physical traits were elite. He just needed some refinement. People just listened to the “experts” on ESPN. 

I actually wanted him. I was relieved when they said "Allen" and not the wanna be Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Process said:

Is there a way to search to see if a user made a post in a certain thread? I want to see if I posted in there but don't want to look through 100 pages lol.

I don’t know if you did, but @KDIGGZpromosedd that he was gone forever. @GunnerBill also had some spicy takes, but he has since acknowledged that he was wrong. I’m just lucky that I didn’t post my immediate reaction to the pick. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm not going to try and find it but watch the Howard Simon show the next day how he was also in full melt down.

He was a risky pick at the time as many posters already stated and many were not happy.

Having said that, easy for someone to create a video just containing the people who for the most part hated the pick.

As a prospect, he was a "tools" guy. Massive frame, massive arm - but had a low completion percentage and accuracy issues. He wasn't even a first team collegiate All Pro in the lowly Mountain West conference.

He was a project. And the idea that someone could improve their accuracy from College to the Pros didn't yield very good results in the past. He was a big time boom or bust prospect that seemed to many to be only considered a top prospect because of how he looked in shorts and how big of an arm he had.

Thankfully, he defied the odds. In later Drafts, people took chances on big guys with big arms like Trey Lance - hoping to find "the next Josh Allen type". Truth is, Josh Allen is very much the exception and not the rule. We got extremely lucky.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

In that thread, it seems to insinuate he would have been there at 12.

Why did the Bills move up?

He wouldn't have been. The Cardinals were heartbroken we took him and begrudgingly settled on Rosen. They never wanted him and were all in on Allen. They thought he was theirs until we moved up. They didn't even give Rosen a second year with the team and moved on from him as soon as they could. It's weird they even Drafted him at all with how upset they were.

Apparently, they were also trying to move up and thought they had a deal that would have gotten in front of us. Thank God Beane was able to beat them out.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/02/cardinals-reportedly-wanted-josh-allen-had-deal-in-place-to-draft-him/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I will say it seemed like WGR was pretty down on JA. Which made me think about how I didn't want JA drafted by the Bills.

(If someone remembers it being different, please let me(us) know 🙂)

Oh yeah. Everyone at WGR was completely against Allen.

In defense of them, pretty much everyone in Buffalo was. Almost no one on the board wanted him either. He had bust written all over him.

It worked out though and that's all that matters now. And Thank God for that!

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Josh Allen wasn't great in college, and a lot of toolsy QB's who are gigantic and look the part get overdrafted and suck.

Such a BS lazy take.  If he wasn’t great, why after the 2017 draft was Allen regarded as the potential first pick in the next draft?

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/18/nfl-draft-2018-josh-allen-quarterback/amp/

“When the 2017 NFL draft ended, ESPN’s Adam Schefter, relaying information he had gathered from an anonymous team’s personnel director, predicted Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen would be the first player selected in the 2018 draft.”

His 2017 year wasn’t as good as 2016, because he had new O-line and skill players (WR, RB, and TE) who hardly played or never played with him before, then he got hurt at Air Force and missed a few games where Wyoming got destroyed by like the worst teams in the conference.  Wyoming is not Alabama or Oklahoma where every year they have blue chip players.  Bottom line, Wyoming sucked before he took over.  They were 2-10 in 2015 and 15-33 over the 4-years prior.  He took Wyoming to two straight bowl games before the draft.

You don’t do that because you weren’t great in college.  You have to have some context.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

There wasn't universal unhappiness or universal happiness.  

The situation was this:   The Bills hadn't had a good quarterback since Kelly retired - 20 years.   The one year they had a top 10 pick, the only guys arguably good enough to go in the first round were EJ Manuel and Geno Smith.   Bills took Manuel, and the pain continued.  

So, finally, by virtue of a lousy finish and a trade up, the Bills had, I think, the 12th pick in a draft that had four guys deemed to be true first-round talent, plus Lamar Jackson, who was intriguing but not rated that highly.  So, Bills fans had a lot invested in who the team would draft.  The question really was, who would be left at 12?  As the draft approached, it seemed the Browns were going to take Mayfield, the Giants were going to go running back, the Jets would take Darnold, and probably one of the two Joshes would fall to the Bills at 12.  Everyone had a favorite between those two, and of course everyone hoped that some miracle would happen and Mayfield or Darnold would fall.   

It was the most important draft for the Bills in 20 years.   (Well, if the Bills hadn't traded up for JP Losman and just sat tight, the next year Aaron Rodgers would have fallen in their laps, so that was a pretty important draft decision.)   

And then Beane traded up to get to #7.  Mayfield and Darnold were gone, but now Beane had his pick between Allen and Rosen.  The suspense for a few minutes was agonizing.  Who would it be?

Going into the draft, if I had to choose, I'd always said I'd take Rosen.   Then, literally as the Commish walked to the podium, I thought, "Allen.  Allen!  ALLEN!!!"   I wanted the body and the arm over Rosen's supposed brain.  So, I was smiling that night.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gman10 said:

Im a newer football fan, but came across this Josh Allen draft reaction. Was everyone really upset when he was drafted?

Lots of people get upset on the internet about anything. Have you seen the game day threads? Overreacting is something sports fans excel at and many sports fans are also quite dumb. :)

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He wouldn't have been. The Cardinals were heartbroken we took him and begrudgingly settled on Rosen. They never wanted him and were all in on Allen. They thought he was theirs until we moved up. They didn't even give Rosen a second year with the team and moved on from him as soon as they could. It's weird they even Drafted him at all with how upset they were.

Apparently, they were also trying to move up and thought they had a deal that would have gotten in front of us. Thank God Beane was able to beat them out.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/02/cardinals-reportedly-wanted-josh-allen-had-deal-in-place-to-draft-him/

It was Buffalo who had a deal in place with the Broncos at 5, not the Cardinals. But Chubb was on the board so they turned the Bills offer down (which did include a future first rounder and the 12th pick).

The Bills called the Colts, but their OL Quentin Nelson was on the board, so then they tried Tampa. Tampa fielded calls from both the Cardinals and the Bills, but the Cardinals were firm in what they were willing to part with and that didn’t include a future first rounder or a 2nd round pick. Tampa tried to fleece the Bills for both 2nds AND a future first but Beane balked. He said something to the effect of “just because I have the capital doesn’t mean I’m giving it away.” Both clubs ultimately came to an agreement on both 2nd rounders (which was an overpay) and the deal was made.

If only Beane knew that Arizona wasn’t willing to part with a 2nd (or first), he could’ve played his hand differently and held onto those picks. I read an article about how it all went down shortly after that draft and still remember the details. I just wish he hadn’t traded up again for Edmunds, Leonard and Warner (who they really liked) went later and were both better football players. 

Oh and I hated the Allen pick. I said shortly after on this board that “it was like having our choice of Aaron Rodgers or JP Losman and we went for Losman.” But like with all Bills draft picks I was going to sit back and give him a chance. Never happier to be so wrong on my assessment!

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Wow!   Who would have read all of that and then traded UP to draft the guy.   By every statistical measure, he was a mess.  

Beane maybe deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for how he traded up and up to take Allen.  It might have been the pick of the century, (if the Chiefs hadn't trade way up the year before to take Mahomes).

1 hour ago, letsgoteam said:

I will say it seemed like WGR was pretty down on JA. Which made me think about how I didn't want JA drafted by the Bills.

(If someone remembers it being different, please let me(us) know 🙂)

Here was the morning guys reaction. 

I remember Schopp was down on Josh for years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

It was Buffalo who had a deal in place with the Broncos at 5, not the Cardinals. But Chubb was on the board so they turned the Bills offer down (which did include a future first rounder and the 12th pick).

The Bills called the Colts, but their OL Quentin Nelson was on the board, so then they tried Tampa. Tampa fielded calls from both the Cardinals and the Bills, but the Cardinals were firm in what they were willing to part with and that didn’t include a future first rounder or a 2nd round pick. Tampa tried to fleece the Bills for both 2nds AND a future first but Beane balked. He said something to the effect of “just because I have the capital doesn’t mean I’m giving it away.” Both clubs ultimately came to an agreement on both 2nd rounders (which was an overpay) and the deal was made.

If only Beane knew that Arizona wasn’t willing to part with a 2nd (or first), he could’ve played his hand differently and held onto those picks. I read an article about how it all went down shortly after that draft and still remember the details. I just wish he hadn’t traded up again for Edmunds, Leonard and Warner (who they really liked) went later and were both better football players. 

Oh and I hated the Allen pick. I said shortly after on this board that “it was like having our choice of Aaron Rodgers or JP Losman and we went for Losman.” But like with all Bills draft picks I was going to sit back and give him a chance. Never happier to be so wrong on my assessment!

Same. I was on the train of Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen. Allen was too risky for my blood. I felt he had Bust written all over him and was less than impressed with how he looked against weak College competition. Then the Twitter posts got leaked the day of the Draft and I was even more out. I was crestfallen when we took him.

Never been more happy to be so, so wrong. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would go from having zero college offers and 2nd Team All Mountain West to Future Hall of Famer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.