2024 WR Draft Class

35 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Just playing devils advocate- I don’t think Miami and its prolific offense have that big boundary receiver.  I’m not saying that the Bills shouldn’t try to find one, but I think there are successful offenses that don’t have that.

I don’t think the Bills necessarily need a “big” WR but they need someone that can be effective on the boundary and doesn’t “need” to be in the slot. I think right now you have your top 2 WR as players who are more effective in the slot but can play outside. Diggs wasn’t a big body player but he was a boundary WR most of the time.

I think they have bigger guys in Hollins and Shorter who are both 6 foot 4 and over 200 pounds (Hollins 209 and Shorter a whopping 229) so they have options for bigger players in some situations but they need a more consistent playmaker on the boundary.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But Odunze isn't just a regular #1 prospect. Passing a player like that up for some picks is a mistake IMO.

That's reasonable, maybe they like him so much they just stick and take him. They already have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen so I think they'll decide the quantity of picks is more valuable than adding another WR.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

The bolded is so interesting to me because Nabers crushed zone in YPRR (4.5) and Burton was at 3.2 YPRR vs Zone. Both were markedly worse in yprr vs man. 

Is it just that the QBs are throw them better balls in zone coverage, and struggling to get them balls in good position for bigger plays against tighter man coverages? And do big plays vs zone mask some of the down by down poor separation vs zone for Nabers and Burton?

Thanks again for posting

I can't explain all of it, but one thing I should mention is that %'s in general are higher against zone coverage. Harmon is basically tracking how often they get open against different coverage types and it's easier to get open against zone defense vs. when someone is actively trying to follow you everywhere. So with Burton for example, his success rate against man coverage was 75.0% vs. 78.6% against zone coverage. But the 75.0% against man is 3rd best while the 78.6% against zone is 3rd worst. That doesn't really explain why Nabers YPRR would be better than everyone against zone while his success rate vs. zone is behind most of them, but just providing some context. I'd guess the real explanation is that if Nabers scores an 80 yard TD against zone, that greatly impacts his YPRR but it only counts as one success against the zone coverage and doesn't count any more than beating zone coverage for a 2 yard gain would. Considering how explosive Nabers was, that would tend to help his YPRR a lot while not necessarily helping his success rates as much.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's reasonable, maybe they like him so much they just stick and take him. They already have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen so I think they'll decide the quantity of picks is more valuable than adding another WR.

Keenan Allen is 31, I doubt he is factoring into the decision making.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think I’m on the Ladd McConkey train. Get the best route runner available.

isn’t he awful against press man?

you know why Josh has to be superman in the playoffs?   

We don’t have anyone that can win against the physical press allowed in playoffs

go get a couple Beasts that also have speed

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We don’t have anyone that can win against the physical press allowed in playoffs

I’ve changed my mind 100 times on what I want the Bills to do.

Worthy is still my favorite WR in that pick range. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Changed my mind, go get Odunze. 

This is me. 

Im dying for a banger trade for the excitement of getting a legit prospect. It would be entertaining.

Realistically I don’t think it’s the best choice, but from a pure enjoyment standpoint: I’d rather get hyped for someone everyone loves than settling for WR5 at #28 and be left feeling like I have to convince myself to be excited. 

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Legette R1 + Polk R2 LFG

On 4/10/2024 at 10:32 AM, GunnerBill said:

He isn't even that good of a catcher. He only caught a third of the contested catches that came his way. If you are not gonna separate you need to be better than that in those situations. 

Does anyone remember how long day 3 of the draft was last year? I know it will vary a bit year to year. Thanks!

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

My appetite for trading up starts at #9. If Odunze is still there I'd pull the trigger. Next year's 1st, next year's 2nd (from Houston), maybe both of our 4ths this year. Chicago only has 4 picks in the entire draft, they are a prime trade up candidate.

I think we’d need to trade up to #8 with Atlanta. I don’t see Chicago passing on Odunze. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, DJB said:

Other than Harrison and Odunze,  Ladd McConkey as the safest WR to draft . 

At minimum you have a high end slot guy with good work ethic, character, ability to separate and hands. 

If he’s able to work as an outside guy then you will have hit a home run. 

Have you watched much of him?  I've only seen a few clips. I was warming up to the idea of him maybe second round if Buffalo went DE or something in the first, but then I'm hearing that he's projected to be good and reliable but not great. And then there some injuries I guess. I'd be interested to hear more about him from others than the media I guess. Thanks! Go Bills. 

I like the idea of double dipping, but I doubt Bean and McDermott do. That said I want them to get a true X to complement what they already have. 

Of course MHJ or Odunze are the dream, but would also seem unlikely given the cost. For me that leaves BTJ or Mitchell as the two true X’s that can take the top off the defense. I like others like Ladd, or either Xavier but I don’t think they fill our immediate need. Would be thrilled to get any of them in the 2nd but again doubt we double dip. 

If Baker is there in the 4th he could be an X,  if we go elsewhere earlier. Rice might also grow into that role, but seems like he needs lots of work on his routes (surprisingly given his ability to train with the best ever). 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Have you watched much of him?  I've only seen a few clips. I was warming up to the idea of him maybe second round if Buffalo went DE or something in the first, but then I'm hearing that he's projected to be good and reliable but not great. And then there some injuries I guess. I'd be interested to hear more about him from others than the media I guess. Thanks! Go Bills. 

Incredible route running and ability to create separation. The best in the class. He comes with 4.39 speed and can play inside and outside. 

But his size and injury history is concerning. He also seems to struggle on deep throws and there are questions about whether he can be that X receiver 

Hes an ideal early 2nd round pick imo

Edited by DJB

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

DJ Moore only has two years left on his deal and they can cut him (or trade him) next year with zero cap hit.  Keenan Allen will turn 32 in a week and is only on a one year deal.  They'd be really dumb to pass on Odunze unless they don't value him the way most others do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve changed my mind 100 times on what I want the Bills to do.

Worthy is still my favorite WR in that pick range. 

My WR crush process worked like this;

1. Thought Xavier Legette was the prettiest girl in school until...

2. Troy Franklin caught me eye.  I knew he was the one.....until...

3. I flirted briefly with Keon Coleman.  Picture him in the Bill's embedded arriving from the airport.  But he's slow...a deal-breaker for me. Moving on...

4. I fell hard for Tez Walker.  But....

5. Jermaine Burton seemed so perfect.  I heard he's a jerk though.  So...

6. Ladd McConkey was next. It's so clear.  Checks every box.  Problem is...maybe we can do better.

7.  Screw it.  Go get Rome.  I mean, have you seen his interviews?  He's so cool!!  I'm all in.  On second thought, he costs a ton.

8. Just stick with Ladd.  C'mon it's a no-brainer.  It's just that I wanted a big guy.

9. Trade down.  Of course!! Ja'lynn Polk and Roman Wilson are attractive. 

10. C'mon it's Ladd.  It's always been Ladd.  It always will be Ladd.  

11.  Why am I thinking about Xavier Legette this morning?  I thought I was over him.

12.  Kansas City better not get Ladd .  

13.  I hate all these guys.  I'm sick of thinking about this.  I can't stop thinking about this.  I forgot my wife's name.

14.  I wonder what Ladd is doing right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Prefer Worthy or Mitchell if we stay at 28 or move up slightly to get either, can't let Kansas City or Miami get Worthy. 

Not sure why many people like Legette: basically one year of production after 4 years of being a non-event and he's older. 

"The red flag that waves in Legette's prospect profile is that he didn't break out until his fifth collegiate season. It is a fair critique, as naming a successful NFL wide receiver who had only one year of strong college production as a super senior is a difficult task.Apr 9, 2024"

Definitely not Coleman, and we already have Hollins and Shorter in that mold.

For those wanting Legette, I wonder if Brady will even know how to use him properly.  Brady, and Daboll, failed to scheme guys open the way you see other teams do it.  Jefferson and Hill are great talents, but their coordinators also help them get open.  

I worry that Legette wouldn’t get properly utilized.  Look at Harty and McKenzie.  I know they aren’t close to the same talent caliber, but they were our gadget burners that we never figured out how to use. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

My WR crush process worked like this;

1. Thought Xavier Legette was the prettiest girl in school until...

2. Troy Franklin caught me eye.  I knew he was the one.....until...

3. I flirted briefly with Keon Coleman.  Picture him in the Bill's embedded arriving from the airport.  But he's slow...a deal-breaker for me. Moving on...

4. I fell hard for Tez Walker.  But....

5. Jermaine Burton seemed so perfect.  I heard he's a jerk though.  So...

6. Ladd McConkey was next. It's so clear.  Checks every box.  Problem is...maybe we can do better.

7.  Screw it.  Go get Rome.  I mean, have you seen his interviews?  He's so cool!!  I'm all in.  On second thought, he costs a ton.

8. Just stick with Ladd.  C'mon it's a no-brainer.  It's just that I wanted a big guy.

9. Trade down.  Of course!! Ja'lynn Polk and Roman Wilson are attractive. 

10. C'mon it's Ladd.  It's always been Ladd.  It always will be Ladd.  

11.  Why am I thinking about Xavier Legette this morning?  I thought I was over him.

12.  Kansas City better not get Ladd .  

13.  I hate all these guys.  I'm sick of thinking about this.  I can't stop thinking about this.  I forgot my wife's name.

14.  I wonder what Ladd is doing right now.

Stick with Ladd. He'll play golf with you, too.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JBI$111 said:

Prefer Worthy or Mitchell if we stay at 28 or move up slightly to get either, can't let Kansas City or Miami get Worthy. 

Not sure why many people like Legette: basically one year of production after 4 years of being a non-event and he's older. 

"The red flag that waves in Legette's prospect profile is that he didn't break out until his fifth collegiate season. It is a fair critique, as naming a successful NFL wide receiver who had only one year of strong college production as a super senior is a difficult task.Apr 9, 2024"

Definitely not Coleman, and we already have Hollins and Shorter in that mold.

Legette’s parents both died while he was in High-School. He went through some other things as well.  His work ethic + talent makes him a high ceiling player IMO

Would love rooting for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thomas is my guy. I like the other guys too, but he just makes the most sense to me. 

Love Thomas. Could easily be one of the top 3 imo. Could I put him there and take one of the others out and I don’t think it makes any difference really. I’d be all for a move up to 10ish for one of the top 3. Around the 15-18 mark for Thomas. After that I’d stay where we’re at and go with one of the following, Worthy, Mitchell, Franklin. If there’s a trade down for extra picks and none of those guys are there I’m all for Polk, Legette, McConkey. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Love Thomas. Could easily be one of the top 3 imo. Could I put him there and take one of the others out and I don’t think it makes any difference really. I’d be all for a move up to 10ish for one of the top 3. Around the 15-18 mark for Thomas. After that I’d stay where we’re at and go with one of the following, Worthy, Mitchell, Franklin. If there’s a trade down for extra picks and none of those guys are there I’m all for Polk, Legette, McConkey. 

I would love to find a way to get both Thomas and McConkey. My second choice is McConkey and Legette. I think if they go for just one, Beane will trade up for Thomas.

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

For those wanting Legette, I wonder if Brady will even know how to use him properly.  Brady, and Daboll, failed to scheme guys open the way you see other teams do it.  Jefferson and Hill are great talents, but their coordinators also help them get open.  

I worry that Legette wouldn’t get properly utilized.  Look at Harty and McKenzie.  I know they aren’t close to the same talent caliber, but they were our gadget burners that we never figured out how to use. 

I kind of see it differently. For me, Legette although physically different (and superior) is too similar to what we’ve already got. He’d be excellent if used off screens, slants, and crosses. He’s probably best as a big slot. 

Having only seen half a season with Brady as OC, what we didn’t see was a ton of success downfield. So does that make Legette the perfect fit? Or does that make him redundant, even if he’s explosive? 

I lean towards wanting the X that attacks downfield, but will Brady utilize a BTJ or Mitchell? 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I kind of see it differently. For me, Legette although physically different (and superior) is too similar to what we’ve already got. He’d be excellent if used off screens, slants, and crosses. He’s probably best as a big slot. 

Having only seen half a season with Brady as OC, what we didn’t see was a ton of success downfield. So does that make Legette the perfect fit? Or does that make him redundant, even if he’s explosive? 

I lean towards wanting the X that attacks downfield, but will Brady utilize a BTJ or Mitchell? 

I thought I saw him run some routes at the senior bowl that suggested he could be a quality outside downfield receiver, maybe his college coordinator didn't put him in a position to do so?

4 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I thought I saw him run some routes at the senior bowl that suggested he could be a quality outside downfield receiver, maybe his college coordinator didn't put him in a position to do so?

It’s possible. I’m not a guru on this stuff but from what I’ve seen and read, route running is not a strength at this point. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Legette’s parents both died while he was in High-School. He went through some other things as well.  His work ethic + talent makes him a high ceiling player IMO

Would love rooting for him.

I've read whispers that the reason for his late breakout is because he's not very bright.  That would probably be a non-starter in our complex offense, especially with a premium pick.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

Both good and interesting points between you and Virgil, but (IMO) its a bit of making football into rocket science when it isn't. The gadget guys of the world like McKenzie have way more limitations in their game that limited the way they could be used than any limitations or lack of imagination by a coordinator, and not just by the Bills but by any team. I have absolutely no concern that Brady and an entire staff of well paid experts is going to struggle to find ways to use guys like Legette, BTJ or Mitchell.

I know people aren’t going to like it but as we get closer my gut feeling is telling me it’s going to be Keon Coleman after a trade down. There is a lot there that fits Buffalo and their philosophy 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I know people aren’t going to like it but as we get closer my gut feeling is telling me it’s going to be Keon Coleman after a trade down. There is a lot there that fits Buffalo and their philosophy 

I wouldn't haaaaate it because I think there's a lot of untapped upside potential and I want a big bodied physical receiver with great hands for January home games. But I would also want to see them add a speed element early as well then. And people in the know seem to think he's best used as a big slot, and we took a big slot last year in Kincaid so...

If he can play X better than Gabe and we use added capital to trade back up in R2 for a speedier Z with route running chops I'm good with it

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Marino said here, and in other podcasts, that Mitchell has a lot of red flags: inconsistent effort, not good with YAC, someone (college coach?) called him "uncoachable" and I think in another podcast that he has trouble with man coverage. Plus his type 1 diabetes that impacts him too (mood?) so I think he's not for Buffalo.

I think a small trade up for Thomas, or Legette at 28 or a small trade down and take Legette in the 2nd makes sense. Whispers about his lack of intelligence? How many times has a player had this knock only to excel at NFL football (CJ Stroud, as a recent example). 

I don't want any poor-effort or difficult personalities drafted up high. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Explosiveness and Separation are 2 things which IMO he doesn't have much of 

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I've read whispers that the reason for his late breakout is because he's not very bright.  That would probably be a non-starter in our complex offense, especially with a premium pick.

sounds like whispers of ignorance 

why because he sounds like Bubba from Forest Gump?

I wonder if SEC DB's think he's smart?   

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think the Bills are trading up to get a stud WR.  Just not sure how much of a price they are willing to pay in draft assets to get there?  They don't want to leave the cupboard bare in other positions...  But McD and Beane are keenly aware they are in Josh Allen's prime right now, and you have to get this man a STUD, right now.

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I disagree.  There's plenty of Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots fans who will like it.

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I don't know if he will be the pick, but they have shown significant interest in Coleman who also personally stated that of all his interviews the one with the Bills was the stand out one that went the best.  The WR's they have shown the most interest in from meetings with them would be from what I can gather Franklin, Coleman, McConkey, Worthy, and Mitchell.  

They did meet with Thomas, but reportedly only once and no reports of any meetings with the big 3.