2024 WR Draft Class

13 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

With all the receivers this year, I think he could get pushed to the 2nd round.

He's definitely not a first rounder. If he's the second WR the Bills take, I wouldn't be sad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Scouts have Ladd rated much higher than you and NFL.com.  Fact

Franklin and Coleman blew their combine, and both will slip to day 2 IMO

36" is no joke at WR.  Its not elite, but 6' jumping 3 feet is a big target

Doubt it!! Tape don't lie

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Scouts have Ladd rated much higher than you and NFL.com.  Fact

Franklin and Coleman blew their combine, and both will slip to day 2 IMO

36" is no joke at WR.  Its not elite, but 6' jumping 3 feet is a big target

Coleman had a dissapointing 40, but timed out towards the top on the drills

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He broke ribs on his first every professional touch in the pre season...

Terrible omen 

He was such a cry baby. I had a friend that personally knew one of the trainers. He told my buddy that he was a huge baby about everything. Stuff where other players would play through it, but he refused. 

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not pounding the table for the Bills to take McConkey, but Worthy measured in at 5’11 1/4” and 165 - same height as McConkey, but McConkey weighs 21 lbs more.

Really, neither of them fill the role that Davis played, but both of them are likely better than Davis.  I know Worthy is super fast, but he is SO slight…

Mitchell proved he is plenty fast and so did Legette - both considerably bigger and stronger, they would each fit the outside role.  Worthy, Mitchell and Legette on the board, who would you take if you were BB?

McConkey has this uncanny juking ability where he can start and stop on a dime juking out defenders making them miss

• Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

McConkey has this uncanny juking ability where he can start and stop on a dime juking out defenders making them miss

I'm going to be physically sick when and if the Chiefs grab him at #32.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Where’s the college production though? Worrisome and I know he was injured last year 

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Where’s the college production though? Worrisome and I know he was injured last year 

He was productive on a per pass route basis. Georgia just didn't throw a ton/he missed a lot of time. In terms of yards per route run, he was tied for 5th in the class this year behind only Malik Nabers, Jalen Coker (FCS School), Marvin Harrison Jr., and Troy Franklin. He was merely middle of the pack in 2022 in terms of YPRR, but that's still ahead of other Day 1/2 guys such as Keon Coleman, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Brian Thomas, and Xavier Legette.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Coleman had a dissapointing 40, but timed out towards the top on the drills

True. Could still be a dark horse for me because when you watch the film he constantly runs away from people at that size. Impressive.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As I said yesterday even before the Combine I found one well respected guy who had Worthy as WR4. I do not think it is crazy that he is the 4th off the board. Does sort of depend on the team though. Because I am not sure he is Trent Baulke's type. Trent likes BIG. So if Jacksonville are the 4th receiver team it won't be Worthy. If Dallas are... well they like speed he is in play there. There is even part of me that wonders about Miami. I don't think they are in the receiver market generally.... but they love track speed. Would they say "screw the OL we are gonna add Worthy to Hill and Waddle, now try and stop us"? Kansas City I can imagine loving him too. 

Worthy will go no later than 13th overall.  If there were a place to make a bet on it, I'd bet the farm.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

With all the receivers this year, I think he could get pushed to the 2nd round.

Pearsall> Mcconkey imo

Ricky is a DOG. Great hands, adjusted catches, RAC. Yeah he’s a steal in the 2nd if he’s there. Doubt it though

21 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He is alright… something about him just doesn’t scream star in the nfl to me. Like a faster Chris Hogan

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm going to be physically sick when and if the Chiefs grab him at #32.

Think the Chiefs are trading up to get a guy they want and refuse to be the last to pick first round. They had their success the past two years without Hill. Last year I’m sure made Veach and Reid realize how dangerous they can be with a field stretcher; not that they didn’t before. Just highlights it to the forefront. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He kind of runs like Josh...

There were 3-4 fake slides on that run alone... cheater. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Let’s face it, in this class if the Chiefs want a Wr at 32, they can get a very good one and we will not like it.

Of course, that is inevitable. I am especially fond of McConkey since I believe he is going to be an excellent player and I am an UGA fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Of course, that is inevitable. I am especially fond of McConkey since I believe he is going to be an excellent player and I am an UGA fan. 

I like McConkey a lot too.  I love his precision route running and soft hands.  I didn’t think he was slow from watching games, but his combine 40 was faster than I expected.

Just for fun, I compared him to Diggs coming out.  Basically same height and weight, McConkey ran a faster 40, pretty much the same split, just as good a vert and long jump, but Diggs’ hands are a fair bit larger and he has an inch on McConkey in arm length.  I am NOT saying McConkey will be another Diggs, but the athletic profile and size are comparable and we know that McConkey is a great route runner like Diggs is.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm sure you saw this game. UGA vs Florida. 

I like McConkeys start/stop juking ability displayed at the :10 second and 1:36 second mark of the video.

Commentator Gary Danielson remarks that McConkey runs "crisp routes with sharp cuts, nothing rounded off with incredible YAC ability" at the 2:02 mark of the video.

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm all about Luke McCaffrey later in the draft. 

I like him, too. I've read some folks who dismiss him, and think if it were not for his last name, he'd be an afterthought. He's got size and tenacity. Turns out he ran a forty slightly faster than his brother. I know McConkey from watching him for years. He has the "it" factor, imo, which no amount of number crunching is going to reveal. I suspect Luke may have some of that as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry if this was included already, but I haven’t studied all 80 pages. I thought this was a good watch. This made me think of how high Greg Cossell was on him. 

EDIT: This is more of a breakdown of his game than a highlight reel. I’m not a huge fan of highlight reels.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Ricky Pearsall? 

He seems like he might be really good, or at least I've got a good feeling about him, just seems like he's got something special in his highlights compared to other ones I've seen, that's about all I've got.

• Like (+1) 1

In light of the NFL Combine performances and some prospects that I've revisited, I've updated my film, metrics, and combined WR rankings. I've also thrown in my personal rankings, which isn't necessarily married entirely to the film or the metrics but sort of a bit of A and a bit of B. For example, I think the metrics are too harsh on Mitchell, but I think the metrics is keeping McConkey above Pearsall for now. As mentioned before, some guys like Jermaine Burton and Javon Baker for example are excluded; I haven't found any All 22 film of Baker and I haven't had a chance to look at Burton.

WRTable.thumb.png.32e44e9b597abd33ceb68b471aa74d59.png

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Speed isnt everything. Where is John Ross now?

The difference is that Xavier Worthy had been a projected 1st round pick in this 2024 draft since his freshman season.  

Worthy has been a producer at Texas since day 1.    I know there are a lot of people who don't follow college football who are suddenly interested and weighing in with hot takes about the little bit of draft history they know but Worthy is not a track star playing football or a one season wonder like most of those guys.    

• Like (+1) 2

WR’s we met with:

Troy Franklin, Oregon 

Keon Coleman, FSU 

Tez Walker, UNC 

Xavier Worthy, Texas 

Brian Thomas Jr., LSU 

Jalen McMillan, Washington 

Adonai Mitchell, Texas 

Xavier Legette, South Carolina 

Roman Wilson, Michigan 

Johnny Wilson, FSU

• Like (+1) 1

Its been more a fantasy stat but age of break is a solid indicator for NFL production.  “Busts” usually break out later in thier college career when they mature and have an advantage over younger competition.  Worthy breakout age 18.7.  Everyone expected a fast time from him.  I see Desean Jackson.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

McConkey is an absolute route running master, Shakir is not in that class.  I’m not dissing Shakir, but I think McConkey is going to be very good - just doesn’t fill the hole the Bills have outside, but then neither does Worthy.

There are more than 10 receivers in the draft that could really help the Bills, but not as many that will play outside where Davis played.  I think we can discount Coleman and Franklin to the Bills round 1, but Mitchell and Legette probably fit that role.

Agreed, I think McCokey can eventually play outside at Z like Diggs but we need an X. If someone can convince me there's a Gabe upgrade at X later in the draft I can be convinced on Ladd earlier as an ultra slot/Z rotation piece early on that could take over for Diggs at Z in a couple years. Never opposed to more weapons. Have to walk away with an alpha height weight speed upgrade at X this draft at bare minimum though, that's my priority

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

True. Could still be a dark horse for me because when you watch the film he constantly runs away from people at that size. Impressive.

I'm also intrigued that he was a kick returner, need some sauce & instincts on top of speed for that. Eric Moulds started out as KR too

42 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Its been more a fantasy stat but age of break is a solid indicator for NFL production.  “Busts” usually break out later in thier college career when they mature and have an advantage over younger competition.  Worthy breakout age 18.7.  Everyone expected a fast time from him.  I see Desean Jackson.  

I’m not sure the young breakout age is really a great indicator so much as an old one is bad. The youngest breakout ages for a Day 1/2 pick dating back to 2007:

• Bryan Edwards
  • Drake London
  • Parris Campbell
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Donte Moncrief
  • Aaron Dobson
  • Rondale Moore
  • Amari Cooper
  • Sammy Watkins
  • DeAndre Hopkins

People talk about this class like it has unprecedented depth at the WR position. But 2020 was just as deep, and not all of those guys hit.

First Round

• 12- Henry Ruggs (No idea)
  • 15- Jerry Jeudy (Disappointment)
  • 17- CD Lamb (Hit)
  • 21- Jalen Reagor (Bust)
  • 22- Justin Jefferson (Superstar)
  • 25- Brandon Aiyuk (Hit)

Second Round

• 33- Tee Higgins (Hit)
  • 34- Michael Pittman (Hit)
  • 42- Laviska Shenault (bust)
  • 46- KJ Hamler (Bust due to injuries)
  • 49- Chase Claypool (Bust-ish)
  • 57- Van Jefferson (??)
  • 59- Denzel Mimms (Bust)

Late-round steals included Devin Duvernay (3rd), Gabe Davis (4th), Darnell Mooney (5th), KJ Osborne (5th), and guys like Quez Watkins, Peoples-Jones, and Hodgins in the late rounds that are not great but are playing on NFL rosters. 

What I mean in all of this is that one or more of these guys that you are all drooling over is going to be the Reagor/Shenault of this draft. I would place good money on it being someone who vaults up draft boards to his performance against air yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Agreed, I think McCokey can eventually play outside at Z like Diggs but we need an X. If someone can convince me there's a Gabe upgrade at X later in the draft I can be convinced on Ladd earlier as an ultra slot/Z rotation piece early on that could take over for Diggs at Z in a couple years. Never opposed to more weapons. Have to walk away with an alpha height weight speed upgrade at X this draft at bare minimum though, that's my priority

I'm also intrigued that he was a kick returner, need some sauce & instincts on top of speed for that. Eric Moulds started out as KR too

It's funny but when I read Xavier Legette's evaluation and read someone called him a good kick returner too and made me think of Moulds because both have alpha big WR bodies.. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I’m not sure the young breakout age is really a great indicator so much as an old one is bad. The youngest breakout ages for a Day 1/2 pick dating back to 2007:

• Bryan Edwards
  • Drake London
  • Parris Campbell
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Donte Moncrief
  • Aaron Dobson
  • Rondale Moore
  • Amari Cooper
  • Sammy Watkins
  • DeAndre Hopkins

I must have a different Idea of what breakout is vs the actually metric.  Cambell is a 18.1 but only caught 10 passes as a freshman.  He didnt produce until his senior year.  

19 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I must have a different Idea of what breakout is vs the actually metric.  Cambell is a 18.1 but only caught 10 passes as a freshman.  He didnt produce until his senior year.  

His junior season would have been his breakout as he led the team in receiving that year. But I do think his listed breakout age in incorrect. That’s quite interesting. I believe his correct breakout age would be 20.1 instead of 18.1.