Bears hire Eric Washington as DC

Process

1 hour ago, MWK said:

Good to get some fresh people in here. Eric Washington didn’t exactly impress. 5 years for Oliver to turn into an impact player. Hasn’t developed anyone else. The resources we spend on the DL far outweigh the production.

True but the DL did have a great Year overall,  finally 

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Where did you read that if promoted to DC he'd have to have play-calling to prevent him from being signed as a DC elsewhere?

Honestly I can't remember. And I have no idea how the check. But I am sure I have heard it somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't think the Chefs wanted him back.

My point is, if he were calling the plays in KC that would have made him a stronger candidate for HC jobs.

I think the goal for 95% of these guys is to eventually become an NFL head coach, so they will take whatever career path gives them the best chance.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They fell flat on their faces in the biggest game of the season.

The defense will be rebuilt in 2024 - specifically the DLine. This was convenient timing. I'm guessing McDermott made some calls to get him another position and will find someone with experience coaching up young DLinemen.

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I just fans are overvaluing our players because of where they were picked. I liked AJ in college but he never was going to be anything special in the nfl besides a nice rotational DE. Oliver is undersized so some games, he’s going to get shallowed up. Von is washed. Greg has turned into a solid all round DE but doesn’t seem to possess elite pass rushing skills. 

hopefully, it is the coach but I think most of those guys aren’t special players. 

Seems like a promotion in title only. Eberflus will continue to call plays. So maybe Bills do the same and promote Babich. Maybe that was the way team was leaning which led Washington to take the Bears job.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Honestly I can't remember. And I have no idea how the check. But I am sure I have heard it somewhere.

According to the NFL website, Eberflus is going to continue calling the plays for Chicago.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Promoting Babich means nothing unless they are giving him playcalling. He would still be nickable.

Congrats coach Washington. Although I wouldn't be delighted by this if I was a Bears fan.

I’m not sure that what you say about nickable is correct. 

I doubt there is anything in the nfl rules about a permissible lateral move being dependent on playcalling. I think it would be impossible to enforce, especially since playcalling is often fluid. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m not sure that what you say about nickable is correct. 

I doubt there is anything in the nfl rules about a permissible lateral move being dependent on playcalling. I think it would be impossible to enforce, especially since playcalling is often fluid. 

Yea possibly. I am sure I heard it somewhere though. 

EDIT: found the rule:

"Must play a role in the development of the game plan but is not required to call the plays during games."

Final decision where there is dispute is for Old Roger. And teams are required each year to submit their coaching heircarchy and job descriptions.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just fans are overvaluing our players because of where they were picked. I liked AJ in college but he never was going to be anything special in the nfl besides a nice rotational DE. Oliver is undersized so some games, he’s going to get shallowed up. Von is washed. Greg has turned into a solid all round DE but doesn’t seem to possess elite pass rushing skills. 

hopefully, it is the coach but I think most of those guys aren’t special players. 

I thought Miller was best DE in that game, which isn't saying much but at least gives me a glimmer of hope he can turn it around 

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Considering the Bills could have probably retained him by promoting him internally to the semi-vacant DC position, they probably weren’t too sad to see him go.

He was assistant head coach and dl coach.   Is this a step down?

I’m calling Ryan Kerrigan right now. He’s in limbo in Washington as the assistant DL coach and he obviously is familiar with the system having worked for Ron Rivera. He’d be the fresh bright mind who had success as a player. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’m calling Ryan Kerrigan right now. He’s in limbo in Washington as the assistant DL coach and he obviously is familiar with the system having worked for Ron Rivera. He’d be the fresh bright mind who had success as a player. 

Let us know if he's interested.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea possibly. I am sure I heard it somewhere though. 

EDIT: found the rule:

"Must play a role in the development of the game plan but is not required to call the plays during games."

Final decision where there is dispute is for Old Roger. And teams are required each year to submit their coaching heircarchy and job descriptions.

?  What am I missing here. 
It seems that the guidance specifically states that playcalling is NOT a requirement. 

15 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

?  What am I missing here. 
It seems that the guidance specifically states that playcalling is NOT a requirement. 

Yes it does. I was clarifying. I knew there was some standard I thought it was playcalling, was sure I'd heard that but it isn't its gameplanning.

• Disagree 1

If we also lose Babich who appears to be a rising star and McDermott just says no big deal I'll still be the de facto DC and call plays then I think we have a BIG problem.  

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Is he going to call the plays? Eberflus called the plays in Chicago for most of last season after their DC quit. 

Probably.  Maybe they think Washington can get a head coaching gig if the defense balls out next year and they can get those two third round comp picks.  3D chess stuff. 

I found this quote by McDermott interesting when talking about Babich:

“Good coach. He’s developed players and I think when you evaluate a coach it’s ‘are you taking what you have and making it better.’ And I think it doesn’t need to get any more complex than that, and Bobby’s done that.”

So did Washington take what he was handed and make it better? I would say absolutely not. To me this is not a loss but has the potential to be a chance to add something new. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We need to shake things up.  First off congrats to him, he has worked hard for it.  Second, I really like Babich, but if he is DC will he be allowed autonomy to run what he feels is "his" system?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.