Bears hire Eric Washington as DC

Process

Hmmm,

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good to get some fresh people in here. Eric Washington didn’t exactly impress. 5 years for Oliver to turn into an impact player. Hasn’t developed anyone else. The resources we spend on the DL far outweigh the production.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Has any assistant coach ever done less with more? Glad another team is forcing us to shake it up.

Maybe he'll be a better coordinator than he was a defensive line coach.

• Like (+1) 7

You could make a good argument that Washington was the defacto DC here this year. He was listed along with the other coordinators on the Bills coaches' roster. He took the press conferences that the DC usually takes. He was involved in game planning as the associate head coach. But, you say, he didn't have that title!!! Well, the league only defines the position of assistant coach and head coach. It doesn't dictate that any team has to call someone "coordinator." Other teams have "coordinators" that did the same work that Washington did here, but you usually see it on the offensive side of the ball. So I would argue that Washington was as much of a defensive coordinator as Brian Callahan was an OC in Cincinnati or Mike McDaniel was in SF. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

You could make a good argument that Washington was the defacto DC here this year. He was listed along with the other coordinators on the Bills coaches' roster. He took the press conferences that the DC usually takes. He was involved in game planning as the associate head coach. But, you say, he didn't have that title!!! Well, the league only defines the position of assistant coach and head coach. It doesn't dictate that any team has to call someone "coordinator." Other teams have "coordinators" that did the same work that Washington did here, but you usually see it on the offensive side of the ball. So I would argue that Washington was as much of a defensive coordinator as Brian Callahan was an OC in Cincinnati or Mike McDaniel was in SF. 

It does now recognise coordinator as a position. But I believe you have to have playcalling responsibility for it to be granted any sort of protection. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

Wouldn't the Bill's have to have agreed to let him go as he was technically in a higher position as assistant head coach and still under contract? Not exactly sure how all that works...

Good question.  I'm curious about this too.  

41 minutes ago, MWK said:

Good to get some fresh people in here. Eric Washington didn’t exactly impress. 5 years for Oliver to turn into an impact player. Hasn’t developed anyone else. The resources we spend on the DL far outweigh the production.

I have the same feeling.  Washington got a pass a lot of times for poor performance.  He seemed to be right hand man for McDermott

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Promoting Babich means nothing unless they are giving him playcalling. He would still be nickable.

Congrats coach Washington. Although I wouldn't be delighted by this if I was a Bears fan.

Where did you read that if promoted to DC he'd have to have play-calling to prevent him from being signed as a DC elsewhere?

49 minutes ago, MPT said:

Has any assistant coach ever done less with more? Glad another team is forcing us to shake it up.

Maybe he'll be a better coordinator than he was a defensive line coach.

Maybe those guys he had aren’t really that good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Considering the Bills could have probably retained him by promoting him internally to the semi-vacant DC position, they probably weren’t too sad to see him go.

For all the picks and FA's spent on the DL,wr haven't gotten nearly the results we need.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Where did you read that if promoted to DC he'd have to have play-calling to prevent him from being signed as a DC elsewhere?

I’m sure it hasn’t been stated explicitly, but a coordinator position with play calling responsibilities is definitely above one without. Look at Bienemy, couldn’t get a HC job because everyone knows Reid actually ran the KC offense. He had to make another lateral move to the Commanders.

Just now, DapperCam said:

I’m sure it hasn’t been stated explicitly, but a coordinator position with play calling responsibilities is definitely above one without. Look at Bienemy, couldn’t get a HC job because everyone knows Reid actually ran the KC offense. He had to make another lateral move to the Commanders.

That didn't stop McDaniel, O'Connell, or Callahan from getting HC jobs.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don't think the Chefs wanted him back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.