How do you explain Diggs invisibility act

Coldfronts

Either he quit on the team or his game fell off a cliff and he’s close to being washed. My vote would be for the former. Either way we should move on from him as soon as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I remember hearing McDermott talk about preserving him or something. You wonder if this is planned. 

Do we preserve him for the game after KC every year, because he turns into this Stefon whenever we play them..

IMG_9548.thumb.webp.c74ef7314d312df7a9cc1acb7199fadb.webp

• Haha (+1) 5

I'll be honest I really thought he was playing through some sort of injury.  One where he was able to still suit up and take the field but enough discomfort he couldn't play at his level.  I thought for sure there would be some sort of acknowledgement of this after the season was over but neither Beane or McDermott said anything in their press conferences and Diggs didn't speak to the media so now I'm even more confused than I was during the season trying to get an understanding of what happened.  I just can't believe he completely fell off a cliff in the middle of the season and I don't question his effort as a competitor so it really is confusing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

so my silly take:

back in the day, the RB1 was the most important skill guy on the team, in some cases more than the qb.  the teams and the culture and what not were structured so that you really wanted a monster as your rb1.  ricky williams, edge james, LT, AP, even as recently as marshawn, you had these guys who by themselves made your o run and made you better.

that's changed, you now have great rbs, but they are devalued, and rb is a a platoon position no matter who the team is.   you also have different rbs who do different things on teh same team.

i think wr has become what rb1 was back in the day.  the true wr1 is a guy who can by himself ball out and make things happen, the d has to double him, or account for him, or whatever.  him being in makes all the other pass catchers better.

anyhow, based on this, there aren't that many true wr1s in the nfl, cinci might have 2.  miami perhaps, but im not so sure.

and that also means diggs, by this rather restrictive analysis, is not quote a wr1.  he's a great player, a top flight player, but he does not make other pass catchers better, or more open.  he does not draw double coverage, he wasn't even covered by sneed on some snaps.  

it also explains why his second halves and stuff fall off so hard.  he's doing a lot of work to get open, and has generally great hands, but he doesn't show up huge in big games (he tends not to show up at all) and having beez and brown and davis made him better, at least as much as the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs has been struggling to get separation in man to man. Brady focus's less on Diggs in his O (he likes the 2x TE set and is more run focused). This means less designed or schemed plays for him. Couple that with his drops, his age, and the emergence of Kincaid and it all just means less for Diggs. Truthfully, as good as he is, he's simply not a game changer, he's never been a guy to just take over a game. I think this will be par for the course moving forward. He's been great for JA, but we need a real game changer here.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, UConn James said:

It’s a bit sickening that the Vikings picked Justin Jefferson with the pick we traded to get Diggs.

That doesn’t bother me as much as passing on AJ Brown and DK Metcalf a year earlier. I’m not sure Beane and co can properly evaluate receivers. Of course the same can be said for the rest of the league given how late those guys went, BUT you’ve gotta take a swing on one at some point and he’s never felt any of them were worth the value. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just can't believe he didn't make that deep catch.  That he did not reach up with his hands and catch it like an elite WR should.  He's lost it and probably ran away after the game because he's upset with himself more than anything.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don't agree that, when we first got him, Diggs wasn't a difference maker or a player that could elevate the players around him. Beasely and John Brown looked a hell of a lot more dangerous with Diggs than they did the year before... and then Smoke dissipated, and the following year Diggs played with the fumes of Emmanuel Sanders and the last healthy bits of Beasely. I think at this point in his career he needs more talent around him to be able to take advantage of whatever he has left to give than what Davis, Harty, and Sherfield provide. We need a true WR1 to let Diggs assume the role of WR2 until we can free ourselves of his contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

Every 2nd half and 2nd half of the season every year except 2020 because I'm not buying this guy's reasons?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/24/24048105/stefon-diggs-and-the-second-half-of-the-season-what-is-happening-buffalo-bills-offense

I think Diggs is getting the crap beaten out of him because by the middle of the season it's clear that the Bills offense is primarily Diggs and Josh Allen.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

Every 2nd half and 2nd half of the season every year except 2020 because I'm not buying this guy's reasons?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/24/24048105/stefon-diggs-and-the-second-half-of-the-season-what-is-happening-buffalo-bills-offense

That's a decent analysis.  What's interesting, yet not included, is that Allen has a similar pattern of play from first-half of season to second-half of season as well, although not quite as pronounced, yet nonethless.  

What's interesting about this season's division, is that it occurred pretty much when Brady was promoted to replace Dorsey.  

Doesn't anyone find it suspicious that before Brady took over Diggs had 73 catches for 868 Yards, 7 TDs, and perhaps most tellingly, 11.9 YPR, in 10 games, but after Brady took over, in a similar 9 games, had 44 catches for 388 Yards, 1 TD, and 8.8 YPR?  or 3 YPR fewer?  

Prior to Brady Diggs had 7 of 10 games in double-digit YPR.  

After Brady Diggs had 3 of 9 games in double-digit YPR with a max of 12.4.  

In rank order, here are Diggs games ranked by Brady/non-Brady in terms of YPR; 

1st thru 4th:  non-Brady 

5th thru 7th:  Brady 

8th thru 13th:  non-Brady 

14th thru 19th:  Brady 

That's a unmistakably clear pattern.  

So we're to assume that Diggs remarkably fell out of the catergory of greatness, besides being a few years earlier than is typical for a WR, once Brady took over then?  

That sounds like a narrative built for fools.  

What's going on is simple.  In a nutshell, McD's notion of "complimentary football" is the offense supporting the Defense, the only thing he knows anything about.  He lacks the coaching skills to maximize the team as a team and has to continue to make the D the focal point, fighting common sense, media and fan knowledge predicated upon years of history, and his own ego to continue to have his Defense shine.  

It's beyond the pale that we have a team led by what will end up being one of the great QBs in NFL history, but the focal point and emphasis in the offseasons have been defense until perhaps this past draft, and even then, we underutilized Kincaid and our passing game.  

It shouldn't at all be surprising if Diggs asks for a trade and shines next season on a team that understands modern football.  

McD's methodologies have tried to turn Diggs into a short-yardage WR.  SMH  

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think Diggs is getting the crap beaten out of him because by the middle of the season it's clear that the Bills offense is primarily Diggs and Josh Allen.

He's also largely running stupid routes given his strengths.  

It would seem that part of McD's "complimentary football" is not logging too many big plays.  It was a roaring success in that way this past Sunday vs. KC.  Can't wait to see next season's unceremonious Division-Round ouster from the playoffs.  SMH  

Edited by PBF81

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

McD's methodologies have tried to turn Diggs into a short-yardage WR.  SMH

I disagree, I think Diggs inability to get any separation has led to these screen passes and otherwise extended handoffs. They've been trying to get him involved and this seems to be the only way we've been able to do it recently.

he's emotionally exhausted from the whole Damar thing.  Diggs always felt that he should have been the one to "die on the field" and be revived to all the outpouring of love  that it brought Damar.  Didn't they catch Diggs putting an uninsulated screw driver in an outlet in the Bills locker room at least once?

• Haha (+1) 1

Total opinion here not based in fact.  Something has him down on the team.  After the loss to Cinci he has not seemed the same attitude wise.  Like he's unhappy.  Is it personnel?  Coaching or player?  Relationship related?   He and Josh seemed to be best buds and he's changed to just business.   Jmo and more questions than answers.

52 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'll be honest I really thought he was playing through some sort of injury.  One where he was able to still suit up and take the field but enough discomfort he couldn't play at his level.

This was my thought too... but this should only apply to routes. He shouldn't be dropping balls that hits him in the hands because he has a nagging hamstring (for example).

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

This was my thought too... but this should only apply to routes. He shouldn't be dropping balls that hits him in the hands because he has a nagging hamstring (for example).

I thought that the rumor was a rib injury. That would make it so you would really, really would not want to put your arms above your head. 

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I thought that the rumor was a rib injury. That would make it so you would really, really would not want to put your arms above your head. 

The alleged rib injury came in the Steelers playoff game. He was dropping balls for a month and a half before this.

• Agree 1

My buddy went to a game had a nice club seat. I asked him with that view was Diggs being doubled a lot? He said yes. I have heard that, corner with safety help. We don’t have much else, the D has no worries. Kincade and shakier are coming on, maybe next year with them and the addition of a legit #2 maybe the opposing D won’t be able to take Diggs out of the game so much. 

hopefully they can scheme up some better plays in the offseason also. I’m sure there is more to it than just one thing.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, babulator said:

I disagree, I think Diggs inability to get any separation has led to these screen passes and otherwise extended handoffs. They've been trying to get him involved and this seems to be the only way we've been able to do it recently.

So you're of the mind that the moment that Brady became the OC that Diggs couldn't separate anymore?  

Well, OK.  I'm not buying that narrative though. 

With Dorsey as the OC, Diggs was on pace for about 120 catches for about 1,500 yards, and 12 TDs. 

With Brady as the OC, over the course of 17 regular season games, he was averaging a pace for about 82 catches, 930 yards, and 2 TDs.  

It's a real reach to consider that Diggs' "ability to separate" fell off a cliff pretty much in line with the promotion of Brady to OC.  

It's a lot more likely that Brady's doing what McD instructs him to do according to McD's version of "complimentary football," which essentially means the offense supporting the defense, and that production, both Allen's as well as Diggs' in the passing game, has fallen off.  

But hey, for the people that seem to believe that Diggs remarkable became unable to separate at the ripe old age of 30, just turned 30 even, was purely coincidental with Brady commanding the offense, that's fine too.  Remember, all we can do is to discuss what's going on, none of us has the ability to change a thing.  

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

I can explain this season after the coordinator switch Diggs route tree changed drastically. To make it simple he was getting over 20% of his routes on Wr Screens and on top of that his isolation routes went from 13% to 27% which makes it very easy for defenses to key in on him. 

Weeks 1-10 Diggs Route target % 

Behind Los 10% 

Deep throws 13%

Iso alignment 13%

In breaking route 35%

Weeks 11-19

Los 22% 

Deep 17%

Iso 27%

Breaking 25%

• Like (+1) 1

WTF people! Everyone knows he has been playing injured, {abdominal injury} for quite some time now, i would have thought all you fuh  king geniuses knew this by now…, that and we have limited help around him, which you would, again,  think you bloody geniuses had picked up on at some point or another…, JFC people get your heads out of your  - - - - - and pay attention once and a while…,  

Some of you could drive a sane man to drinking,,,. 🍸🍸🍸

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

WTF people! Everyone knows he has been playing injured, {abdominal injury} for quite some time now, i would have thought all you fuh  king geniuses knew this by now…, that and we have limited help around him, which you would, again,  think you bloody geniuses had picked up on at some point or another…, JFC people get your heads out of your  - - - - - and pay attention once and a while…,  

Some of you could drive a sane man to drinking,,,. 🍸🍸🍸

Source?

Just now, Dick_Cheney said:

Source?

Be for real Dick…, 

Cover 1 had a nice episode on this.  Josh and Diggs (for whatever reason) missed a lot going down the stretch and again in the playoffs.  If even half of their downfield misses were catches Diggs probably has 2 or 300 more yards in the regular season and a pretty good game against the Chiefs.  Diggs was also dropping short passes more than usual.  Every team after the Jags game played to take away the deep throws and keep everything short.  We developed the running game and Shakir and Kincaid emerged but then when you get the shots you have to connect and Allen and Diggs just were't connecting.  

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

It’s a bit sickening that the Vikings picked Justin Jefferson with the pick we traded to get Diggs.

Yup now age 24 vs 30 & eating cap $$$. I hate signing players when you know they’ll be old and washed on the back end of their contract.   Paid too much for VM and SD imo.

Edited by PayDaBill$