Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

What's gotta be frustrating to the entire team is they all know how badly the defensive injuries hurt this team this week.

Let's face it, I like Klein but he shouldn't have been out there against KC. Douglas looked gimpy and not up to full speed.

OTOH Diggs, Oh man. 8 targets, 3 receptions for 21 yards...that #1 WR must have been nursing some sort of injury or it might be time to move on or get him some real help at #2.  Very few were open and KC was in constant dime.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ha, I am more than open to your opinion, I would love a big awesome WR too.  My only slight tweak was I don't want to get a guy just because he is big who has some of the issues Davis has which is too one dimensional and not reliable enough.  

As I mentioned before, I said it on draft night and its only proved true so far, that Chargers were dumb for taking Quentin or Jordan.  Don't force size is all I am really saying, I would rather have the better player than the bigger player if that makes sense.  

Plus Diggs is 31 this next season, we need a succession plan.  So for me, I want to see them go get a guy who has WR1 potential rather than a guy who just compliments a WR1 like Digss with size.  Hopefully, that WR1 also brings size to the table too though :)

I'd like to see them double down, and do both. An upgrade to Gabe's role, and a succession plan for Diggs. I guess the question for me is, any prospects in this draft class that offer both, and are not top 5 picks?

Just now, Allen2Moulds said:

I'd like to see them double down, and do both. An upgrade to Gabe's role, and a succession plan for Diggs. I guess the question for me is, any prospects in this draft class that offer both, and are not top 5 picks?

Davis replacement is already here in the combo of Shakir and Kincaid.  We are looking at a lot of potential losses on the defensive side of the ball, I don't know we have the luxury of going after 2 strong WR prospects in one draft this year.  Of course if a WR is the clear BPA even if we have taken one already, I wouldn't be surprised they take 2, but I think one is more realistic with our cap situation and the number of FA's we have and aging players.

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the Chiefs game I gave "amnesty" to ALL ignored posters on my list.  I can see you will be back on it soon.

For every "Texans" quick turnaround there are a dozen teams that don't.  I do remember posts of yours, very recently, touted teams

like the Chargers being so much better run and coached that the Bills. 

How did that work out for you?  Go and post on the fish boards.

You are a troll.

Would love to see proof of this...there's absolutely nothing better about the Chargers right now but if they land the right coach they can certainly make a quick turnaround with the pieces they have. I mean they did almost beat the Bills with a back up QB and interim head coach who never even held a DC or OC position before in this league (one of many warning signs this team was never a legit contender BTW).

My overall point is that keeping McDivisional and Beane around because 'they ended the drought' makes zero sense considering this team isn't in the position the Texans were last year in terms of complete rebuild. They just need an upgrade at head coach to build around Josh Allen, and more importantly dump this absurdly pathetic defensive scheme build around undersized injury prone players and classice 'bend but don't break' mentality.

The right head coach could take the Bills to a championship in the next few years.....McDivisional is not that guy no matter what ya'all want to continue to believe.

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Above is your original post...notice the bolded

In the bolded you just replied with here you seem to be contradicting your original post and now saying you didn't watch the post game presser.  So I don't get it, when was Allen "chill about losing"..."saying the right things"..."giving the right answers"..."wasn't happy but resigned to it"..."like a beaten person"...if it wasn't in his presser you now say you didn't watch?  

I don't disagree that there shouldn't be a concern with major disappointing losses starting to become a culture and affecting the players to where they get almost numb to it. Heck I am practically numb to it at this point.  All of our playoff losses have been hard to take going all the way back to Houston even.  

BUT...I don't know how you can say you saw any of that with Josh, especially now if you claim you didn't watch the press conference despite alluding to watching it in your first post.  The one player on this team you don't have to worry about is Josh.  He wants it as bad as any Bills fan and hurst just as much when they don't get it done.  And you can see how hard he was taking it to in the press conference you may or may not have watched.  I have all the confidence in the world in Josh's mentality and coming back as committed and focused as he always has been to winning the Super Bowl here.  

Edit: End of season presser 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rKGcqqMvvawzxE8v/?mibextid=WC7FNe

END OF SEASON Presser

vs 

POST GAME Presser

with the link to said presser.

Different pressers

Come on Brother Alpha, I shared an opinion. I don’t do the BS gotcha crap that so many on here do.

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What's gotta be frustrating to the entire team is they all know how badly the defensive injuries hurt this team this week.

Let's face it, I like Klein but he shouldn't have been out there against KC. Douglas looked gimpy and not up to full speed.

OTOH Diggs, Oh man. 8 targets, 3 receptions for 21 yards...that #1 WR must have been nursing some sort of injury or it might be time to move on or get him some real help at #2.  Very few were open and KC was in constant dime.

Yet another reason to appreciate Allen's performance. He had Shakir and Kincaid, and that's it, except for checkdowns. Two receivers, one the number three or four receiver, the other a rookie tight end. And he still put the team in a position to win by making plays again and again. Meanwhile, Mahomes missed to passes in the end zone (chokes) and was playing pitch and catch against a deplorable defense.

Whose performance was more admirable?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I bet it’s Arthur Smith

What makes you say this? Are there connections to him? What style O does he like? He had talent in Atl and did nothing,  although QB of course was an issue.

I just hope the takeaway they get from this season is that it's not acceptable to surround a top QB in the league with bargin bin WR talent.  We need to stop crossing our fingers and hope guys take steps forward, we just did that with Davis and it burned us. 

Big investment into WR and the offense in general.  Let McD coach up his defense, that's why he's here right?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis replacement is already here in the combo of Shakir and Kincaid.  We are looking at a lot of potential losses on the defensive side of the ball, I don't know we have the luxury of going after 2 strong WR prospects in one draft this year.  Of course if a WR is the clear BPA even if we have taken one already, I wouldn't be surprised they take 2, but I think one is more realistic with our cap situation and the number of FA's we have and aging players.

I have to disagree just a little bit here. I view Kincaid as a Dawson Knox upgrade, and Shakir is the slot receiver we had been looking for. Outside of Gabe, we don't have that down field threat, that makes defenses pay, when they go cover 0 on us. I never thought I'd say this, but not having Gabe on Sunday really mattered. Sheffield tried to fill that role, but failed miserably. Not big or fast enough.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thought it was interesting Beane said the defense didn’t play well vs KC. I know it’s not shocking but still an interesting comment to make.

I mean they didn't, D-line didn't get pressure, McDermott got stuck trying to make his scheme work with the broken pieces too long instead of adjusting like he had been doing this season. When he finally did it was more effective, It's still Mahomes, but too little too late.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, phypon said:

Weird that he said that since they've run the ball more the last half of the season.  Also, lot of running plays and plays behind the line of scrimage Sunday.  

Not going after you with this reply.  Just pointing out the contradiction.  Maybe he figured this out after the loss.  Let's see what he does next year.

Ot maybe they released they need better receivers to play that way,  Bills need to get back the offence we had 2 seasons and add a running game

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Edit: End of season presser 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rKGcqqMvvawzxE8v/?mibextid=WC7FNe

END OF SEASON Presser

vs 

POST GAME Presser

with the link to said presser.

Different pressers

Come on Brother Alpha, I shared an opinion. I don’t do the BS gotcha crap that so many on here do.

I was legit confused, not trying to do a gotcha thing.  Not trying to be a jerk, just don't know where you were getting this impression from Josh in your OP if it wasn't from his pressers that you had just replied to me and said you didn't watch any of.  And TBH I am not quite following why you are sending me a link to the end of season presser now too.  

All good, but since you said said you did not watch the pressers,  maybe go watch them as they might help you feel better about where Josh's head is at in terms of how much it means to him still.  

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they didn't, D-line didn't get pressure, McDermott got stuck trying to make his scheme work with the broken pieces too long instead of adjusting like he had been doing this season. When he finally did it was more effective, It's still Mahomes, but too little too late.

The D-Line always disappears in big games. It's one of the reasons why I think Eric Washington really needs to be on the hotseat.  He is not getting the most out of these guys when it matters.  

If you're just looking at stats from the season, they look fine, great even. A lot if it is beating up on bad teams in games that are already in hand though.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'll have to disagree. With only Diggs and Shakir returning next year, WR is a definate need position going into the draft. I'd even go as far to say the depth on defense is much much better than the depth on the offensive side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thought it was interesting Beane said the defense didn’t play well vs KC. I know it’s not shocking but still an interesting comment to make.

Thats kinda like acknowledging water is wet.  The defense did absolutely nothing against KC. To be fair, he should’ve said, “the defense sucked balls against KC and we’re going to look at a new DC that can run different schemes because this revolutionary McD defense has gotten us booted from the playoffs for 4 consecutive years.”  

it just sucks that after 6 years And desperately needing offensive weapons and a new center in the draft… It feels like we

need to draft/sign players at every position on defense.  Thats how bad they were. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

you said said you did not watch the pressers,

My very first line was, “I watched Josh last night.”  I was referring to his End of Season presser from yesterday, which I did watch.
   My bad as it was really vague on my part to begin with.

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why do fans expect the front office to reveal their real offseason plans?

Especially since Beane and McD are measured.  There are no knee-jerk reactions.  Unlike fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I have to disagree just a little bit here. I view Kincaid as a Dawson Knox upgrade, and Shakir is the slot receiver we had been looking for. Outside of Gabe, we don't have that down field threat, that makes defenses pay, when they go cover 0 on us. I never thought I'd say this, but not having Gabe on Sunday really mattered. Sheffield tried to fill that role, but failed miserably. Not big or fast enough.

Fair points, but I think the role for Kincaid is much more than just an upgrade to Knox.

Also, Diggs has been one of the best, and in multiple seasons was the best, down the field WR in the NFL.  How many times did he get wide open downfield this year but Josh just missed him?  I mean he still showed he can beat guys downfield this year.

Look at KC for example...they had Hill and then Kelce...everyone else was a role player.  Last year they had JuJu and Kelce and won the SB.  This year they got a rookie in Rice and a declining Kelce, still beat us and in the AFCCG.  

That being said, I do realize Diggs is geting older now, but he was still proving to be a downfield threat, but for some reason him and Josh were both off.  And we already know Josh had shoulder issues and said he had to change his delivery this year to adjust to it.  And many believe Diggs had some injuries he played through as well, he sure as heck took a lot of big shots this year.  

So not that I disagree with you, I would love a top WR prospect on this team.  But I also can't honestly say we didn't have that downfield threat on this team either when we have had Diggs for several years.  And with Davis, I think the offense was better with him out and Shakir playing a bigger role.  

38% of Allens INT's the past 2 years are on throws to Davis.  Davis was out last 2 games...Allen had 0 interceptions.  Shakir was excellent in both playoff games too, and had Davis played Shakir sees a lot less targets and snaps with how often we also run 2 TE sets.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Reading between the lines this is what I came up with:

-McDermott will still call the defense

-Joe Brady will be OC

- Special Teams Coach will stay

- Sherfield and Harty were misses in free agency

- Tre White and Von Miller will be back

- Elam time here is all but over

- Resigning Daquan Jones is a priority 

-Beane regrets not having enough LB depth

- Don’t expect big splashes in free agency

- Micah Hyde will be gone

- They need a playmaker opposite Diggs

Don’t agree with a couple of those … but I heard nothing to suggest Elan won’t be there Week 1

Only watched McD so far and I don’t expect any big changes. To be honest I’m more disappointed in the season now than I was before. The hot streak really didn’t matter at the end and making the #2 didn’t matter either because the season ended at the same point as usual. 

At this point getting there is not the goal, it’s the expectation. Winning while there is the goal and this team continues to fail. Josh said it perfectly the other day, only one team finishes the season happy. I don’t see McD taking this team to the Superbowl

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It's a deep wide receiver class and the Bills have 10 picks.  They've made some really good late round picks, especially in the 5th round.  Don't we have 3 of those this year?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Westside said:

I'll have to disagree. With only Diggs and Shakir returning next year, WR is a definate need position going into the draft. I'd even go as far to say the depth on defense is much much better than the depth on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't disagree, I was talking draft picks though.  I have a hard time seeing McD go into the season with Diggs, Shakir and a couple rookies and maybe unproven Shroter for example.  So I expect some veteran help at WR to come via FA too.  

I think they need to get younger on D more than they do on offense right now.  So I think they target at top WR prospect in the draft, and likely use the rest of the picks on other positions of need.  But that being said, Beane is very BPA, so it won't surpirse me if they take a 2nd WR if he is the BPA on his board either.  Just saying it is kinda scary how many players we may be set to lose in FA too, so lots of holes to potentially fill and not a lot of cap to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

Did anyone else catch that he said that "Stef was a phenomenal teammate" using past tense?

Maybe I am reading into that and it was just worded weird...but maybe that was a slip of the tongue...

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

So much cynicism.   

I think that this is a good organization, with top notch individuals at the helm.  

Not being perfect myself, I respect the grade of work.   

Just curious, what makes you feel that they are top notch individuals at the helm? The results don't bear that out. 

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

It's a deep wide receiver class and the Bills have 10 picks.  They've made some really good late round picks, especially in the 5th round.  Don't we have 3 of those this year?

You know, I forgot we had that many picks TBH.  So, ok that makes a 2nd WR more viable.  I am all for it, just also seeing a lot of FA's and little cap room to work with.  So wasn't sure we had the luxury of doubling up on WR this year.  But with that many picks, certainly makes it more viable.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs has been one of the best, and in multiple seasons was the best, down the field WR in the NFL.  How many times did he get wide open downfield this year but Josh just missed him?  

Look at KC...they had Hill and then Kelce...everyone else was a role player.  Last year they had JuJu and Kelce and won the SB.  This year they got a rookie in Rice and a declining Kelce, still beat us and in the AFCCG.  

That being said, I do realize Diggs is geting older now, but he was still proving to be a downfield threat, but for some reason him and Josh were both off.  And we already know Josh had shoulder issues and said he had to change his delivery this year to adjust to it.  And many believe Diggs had some injuries he played through as well, he sure as heck took a lot of big shots this year.  

So not that I disagree with you, I would love a top WR prospect on this team.  But I also can't honestly say we didn't have that downfield threat on this team either when we have had Diggs for several years.  And with Davis, I think the offense was better with him out and Shakir playing a bigger role.  

38% of Allens INT's the past 2 years are on throws to Davis.  Davis was out last 2 games...Allen had 0 interceptions.  Shakir was excellent in both playoff games too, and had Davis played Shakir sees a lot less targets and snaps with how often we also run 2 TE sets.   

I share that same sentiment about the ints, but also believe that Josh turns into a diff QB in the playoffs. His level of focus increases, and the turnovers disappear with or without Gabe. Gabe does need to be replaced, but do believe he could of provided a chunk play or 2 on Sunday. The bigger issue for me is the Dline. We've poured a lot of capital into our Dline, and it's the 4th year in a row, that they've been a no show against KC/Cincy. They were getting pushed and thrown around just about on every play. I don't know how much of that falls onto scheme/ McDermott, or the players.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Allen2Moulds said:

I share that same sentiment about the ints, but also believe that Josh turns into a diff QB in the playoffs. His level of focus increases, and the turnovers disappear with or without Gabe. Gabe does need to be replaced, but do believe he could of provided a chunk play or 2 on Sunday. The bigger issue for me is the Dline. We've poured a lot of capital into our Dline, and it's the 4th year in a row, that they've been a no show against KC/Cincy. They were getting pushed and thrown around just about on every play. I don't know how much of that falls onto scheme/ McDermott, or the players.

Fair points as well

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My very first line was, “I watched Josh last night.”  I was referring to his End of Season presser from yesterday, which I did watch.
   My bad as it was really vague on my part to begin with.

Ah...I took that as in you watched Josh play last night...so yeah, there it is...just an initial misunderstanding.  All good man, thanks for clearing that up and apologies for the confusion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

Sounds like Micah Hyde isn't going to be returning. I don't remember the exact quote, but he said something like "before the game when they announced the players out of the tunnel that it might be the last time Hydes name called at home."

It looks that way. On Instagram I’ve noticed over the past 2 days that some of the Bills players are posting a picture of Hyde in their stories. So it does look like he will retire. 

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did anyone else catch that he said that "Stef was a phenomenal teammate" using past tense?

Maybe I am reading into that and it was just worded weird...but maybe that was a slip of the tongue...

They're talking about this last season, so I wouldn't read into anything.

56 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why do fans expect the front office to reveal their real offseason plans?

Actually Beane told me personally. DM  @Augiefor details ….

Edited by DJB
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This reminds me of the end of the year presser with Kevyn Adams and Granato last season.  No commitment to any type of improvement.

Going to be difficult to even care next year.  I would rather they strip it down and absolutely suck next year then continue on this continued patch work because of the salary cap.

Ok.  See ya around, pal.  We'll miss ya.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You know, I forgot we had that many picks TBH.  So, ok that makes a 2nd WR more viable.  I am all for it, just also seeing a lot of FA's and little cap room to work with.  So wasn't sure we had the luxury of doubling up on WR this year.  But with that many picks, certainly makes it more viable.

I think, too, in light of the cap situation and knowing the team needs to get younger, especially defensively, I would expect Beane to focus on the draft heavily to fill out the roster.  They've got to be encouraged as well with the success of some of these younger players this year.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The right head coach could take the Bills to a championship in the next few years.....McDivisional is not that guy no matter what ya'all want to continue to believe.

Forgive me Josh our savior, but it agree with this.

Now if Y'ALL excuse me, I have to take a nice long Chlorine and anti freeze bath, whilst sipping on Clorox Bleach.

4 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

It looks that way. On Instagram I’ve noticed over the past 2 days that some of the Bills players are posting a picture of Hyde in their stories. So it does look like he will retire. 

Last season they made a big deal that Hyde was around the team while on IR with his neck. They kept saying how he was an unofficial "Coach". He seemed to take to it and enjoy that role as well. 

I'm seriously wondering if that's something in his future and if so I think McDermott would happily offer him an Assistant DB coach role. Hyde is one of his favorite players. It's almost a no brainier if it's something Hyde wants to get into.

• Like (+1) 1

In thee aftermath of this game I really hope Stefon can  make up for that one horrific drop. When it involves all the marbles it is very hard to forget.

I dont dwell on it but the drop in the end zone sullied my thinking on Stevie Johnson in a very similar way. That one kept the Bills out of the playoffs.

Just now, jkeerie said:

I think, too, in light of the cap situation and knowing the team needs to get younger, especially defensively, I would expect Beane to focus on the draft heavily to fill out the roster.  They've got to be encouraged as well with the success of some of these younger players this year.

I honestly think we will see a defensive heavy draft this year.  Fully expect WR (or 2), maybe an OL player...but I think the bulk of our picks are going to be on both getting younger and filling out the roster on the defensive side of the ball.  We have most key players returning on offense and few holes left outside the biggest need at WR.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.