Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

35 minutes ago, phypon said:

I don't like this guy.  I don't think he's a good dude.  Was it last year or the year before when he barked at a question about injuries and said something to the effect of "I have faith in every player on this team!!".  This year, "we weren't as healthy as I would have liked to be".  Which is it dude?  F this guy.  The best word to describe him is "inconsistent". Full of excuses and passes blame onto others.  He even said Josh is maturing and he's getting there.  Really?  How about keep that one to yourself, just sounds like more blame and excuses.  I can see why so many people are fed up with him. 

One time when Doc Rivers was asked a question about some intricate details of some player's injuries, he said "You guys know Doc's just a nickname, right?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And THIS is why I dont care that Diggs skipped talking to the press.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

(not trying to call you out specifically, @Buffalo Boy, it just fit)

Not a problem 

My point is the effect of losing is having on him. I attribute this to McD.

I’m terrified that we are not going to get there in Josh’s career because of coaching malfeasance. 
    This window is closed. We are doing some semblance of a rebuild next year. Letting McD be a part of it is inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

Bill Belichick called and asked "so wait, I get the best QB in the league, can spend as much money and draft picks on D as I want, can hire any of my buddies, and just making the playoffs is winning? This isn't a joke right?"

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So at least we know they are actively going to focus on finding better WRs this offseason.

We hear the same thing every year.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Listening to him talk just makes me sick. It’s always subtle “look I’m doing a good job” underneath every comment. Hey guys you can’t tear this down let’s just make little tweaks 🤮, meaning “I’m not going anywhere”.  Ask the damn hard questions! Why should you keep your job? You’ve had multiple attempts to get to the SB and your defensive game plan hasn’t been able to stop the chiefs and bengals. Then let him have a second to throw his excuses out there as per usual then throw this at him.

We have a generational talent at Quarterback. The other generational talents in Mahomes and Burrow have stable offensive minded head coaches running the show. I believe what sets those QBs apart is having an offensive head coach leading those franchises. It has made them consistent Super Bowl contenders. You are a defensive coach and even if Joe Brady is the answer isn’t it fair to say that when he does do a great job in the coming years that he will leave for his own head coaching job, like Brian Daboll did and then Josh has to start over once again with getting comfortable with a new offensive scheme. Don’t you think it’s fair to Josh Allen and this franchise to step aside and let this organization take the next step in becoming a perennial Super Bowl contender by embracing an offensive minded HC running the show for years to come? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pin this for future reference - when Beane says "we'd be a fool not to want X player back" it roughly translates to "we are not on the same page with their contract desires but if they want to crawl back to us for cheap we'll take them."

I think we have a decent chance of getting DQ back, I doubt the market will be favorable to a 32 year old DT coming off a major injury.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

I'm gonna come to your work and then start asking you questions about how you felt you did...

It's so funny how people just think these guys are machines or personalities that want to be a character. They're athletes of sportsball. They want to play sportsball. 

Not surprised Diggs was a no-show for interviews. He was a no-show for the second half of the season and the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We did lose the ability to be explosive and i blame everyone BUT Josh Allen.

All that being said, the game plan appeared to be to protect the depleted defense, holding the football and keeping Mahomes on the bench as long as possible.  It came within a whisker of working.  We had the ball at the end, with the chance to win.  This didn't come down to Mahomes magic.  We were calling the shots, and it failed.  That hurts.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So at least we know they are actively going to focus on finding better WRs this offseason.

How does he explain the Chiefs saying (after both games) that they didn't double Diggs at all?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

People are real quick to just impulsively say he doesn't have it anymore, but there were clear signs down the stretch he was dealing with injury while still being the guy teams clamped down on and just beat the ***** out of when they hit him. First half of the season he was ridiculous and it was getting to the point where we thought Dorsey had a serious problem of only drawing up plays for him. I don't know why wouldn't think he couldn't get healthy and still be a serious threat especially with a better OC and if they actually address WR this offseason.

there’s also the reality that the drop this week was dumb luck not simply being slow and old - and Josh missed him on a huge play a week or two back. 

something seems up but he easily could’ve had a few more explosive plays 

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is a massive difference at being mad a person like Mahomes was with the ref vs being devastated from something like a painful loss.  You seem to think anger is the only way to handle emotional pain or hurt.  

I don't know how anyone can watch the game vs KC and the press conferences and see just how much this means to Josh.  I honestly don't know what you thought you saw or expected to see, but everyone else saw a guy who was taking the loss hard who wanted it bad on the field.  Then faced the press and had to field ridiculous questions about it right after while still processing the disappointment of what just happened.

It should make people angrier at McD. 

Josh leaves everything out there, played a great game, he was ready for it, has his blood, sweat, and tears on the field. 

And we have a coach that won’t do any of that. That won’t even put in the work to improve himself as a coach in any way. 

I can’t believe we’re bringing him back and punting another prime year of Josh. He is going to end up being one of the most tragic superstars in sports. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Whether Diggs still is a #1 WR is not the question.  

Josh Allen deserves to show what he can do with a big "go up and get it" WR.  He has never had one of those in Buffalo.

It needs to be priority #1 in this fan's wish list.

I mean I get the want, and it would be nice, but its also not as important as people make it out to be.  WR's who have great hands and get great separation are more reliable and impact the game more than a guy who can catch 1 or 2 jump balls.  

Plus, Josh has a big go up and get it target in Kincaid, so for me, I would rather see us get a guy who can help stretch the field and be a true deep threat than just a big guy.  And if that stretch the field guy also happens to be big, then even better, but I want guys who consistently get open and catch the ball and not drop it more than I want size.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not against adding size at all, just don't want to force size over someone who may be a better overall WR at catching and getting open.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Pin this for future reference - when Beane says "we'd be a fool not to want X player back" it roughly translates to "we are not on the same page with their contract desires but if they want to crawl back to us for cheap we'll take them."

I think we have a decent chance of getting DQ back, I doubt the market will be favorable to a 32 year old DT coming off a major injury.

Well if nothing else Davis played into a cheaper deal, who knows maybe if he does end up here it's an Ed Oliver situation. But we sure as hell have to still get a WR2.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is a massive difference at being mad a person like Mahomes was with the ref vs being devastated from something like a painful loss.  You seem to think anger is the only way to handle emotional pain or hurt.  

I don't know how anyone can watch the game vs KC and the press conferences and see just how much this means to Josh.  I honestly don't know what you thought you saw or expected to see, but everyone else saw a guy who was taking the loss hard who wanted it bad on the field.  Then faced the press and had to field ridiculous questions about it right after while still processing the disappointment of what just happened.

Again

I couldn’t/didn’t watch the post game pressers because of my own pain.

I am not accusing Josh of not caring. I am suggesting that he is starting to build an immunity to it due to recurring contact with it. He has carried the Bills for four seasons now, squarely on his shoulders. People( not me) are complaining he didn’t hit Diggs at the end instead of throwing it into the EZ. Have him and Mahomes switch places for that game and KC wins going away because Mahomes isn’t getting us those first downs and TDs with his legs by bullrushing.

I blame this on Coaching!!!!

He is making various mediocre coaches look more capable than they are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Love this. He’s such an amazing find in the draft and you have to tip your hat to the coaching staff for developing him 

this is big. Beane is so much better for press conferences and seems more like a coach than GM.

McDermott flat out lied in his presser, too. which pisses me off.

• Agree 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Really, I didn't see the PC, but that would shock me.

Completely subjective on my part.  Not that they don't want him, just seemed odd.  Can't give you what pricked my ears up but give Beane's presser a listen and see what you thing.  It's after the midway point.  He mentioned Brady and then it came up again later in the presser.  Presser is still not over at this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Love this. He’s such an amazing find in the draft and you have to tip your hat to the coaching staff for developing him 

We better not be tipping our hats to Babich as he leaves the building to head to New Jersey! :thumbsup:

GIT R DUN!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

this is big. Beane is so much better for press conferences and seems more like a coach than GM.

I’m absolutely buried in work today, what did McD say?

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure - I mean some people are going to get unhinged with the Diggs is #1 comment but that is just Beane being smart.  Say something positive about the guy in front of the caneras - that doesn't mean you don't still go looking for someone better

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Which part are you referring to?  Genuinely curious.  Thnaks. 

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Would it make you feel better if he was yelling and pounding the table?  C’mon, they DID get eliminated- like 31 other teams.  The idea that it is win the Super Bowl else season is a total failure is talk-show induced bs.  Yeah, we wanted them to win. Fans of all 32 teams want their team to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean I get the want, and it would be nice, but its also not as important as people make it out to be.  WR's who have great hands and get great separation are more reliable and impact the game more than a guy who can catch 1 or 2 jump balls.  

Plus, Josh has a big go up and get it target in Kincaid, so for me, I would rather see us get a guy who can help stretch the field and be a true deep threat than just a big guy.  And if that stretch the field guy also happens to be big, then even better, but I want guys who consistently get open and catch the ball and not drop it more than I want size.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not against adding size at all, just don't want to force size over someone who may be a better overall WR at catching and getting open.

I don't disregard the worth of a WR who has good separation skills.  I do disagree with the 1 or 2 jump ball catches 40 yards down field.

I'm not talking about a high dollar 1,000-yard guy per year needed here.  But nothing will change my mind that of the 4 WRs playing on

gameday that having this option is not needed.

No one, even Josh, knows how that could benefit the team.  He has never had one.

The Bills have the separation guy in Diggs.  Shakir can still develop what he is good at, and Kincaid can get a ball but will never have the

speed needed to stretch the field they way that is needed.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Since Sean is talking now I'm guessing Beane isn't announcing McD being let go.  Sorry, guys, but it's really unreal to keep this guy given the availability of better coaches right now, especially with a mini rebuild coming.  This is really horrible.  To me, keeping him is worse than losing on Sunday...

McD reports to Pegula, not Beane. Even if McD were let go it would be announced by Pegula. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Who else is available to be OC if not Brady?

Almost sounds like they have someone in mind they want to speak with 

It's slim pickins, for sure. A couple of us did some digging in a previous thread. Best outside candidate I can come up with is maybe Klint Kubiak.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

that's his job to do.

Oh totally. I assumed that the single tweet posted with this quote was in response to all the Diggs talk after this game. I might have missed the mark on that one. 

If Diggs was in the pooper, or on the trade block, or being measured for a bronze statue outside the stadium, this is the response that would be given. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.