Giants Request interview with Babich for DC job(EDIT: Packers and Dolphins as well)

I strongly felt that Babich would be elevated to DC after this year, this will almost certainly now be the case. He's a rising star. UNLESS...Frazier resumes his duties after his " year off"...😜

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The easy fix is for McDermott to name him DC. Curious to see what happens. 

I think that’s the plan. I wonder if this actually helps the Bills make that decision without upsetting other coaches on the staff. Bills have at least 4 capable DC’s as assistant coaches.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, noacls said:

Every position this guy coaches that position excels. Can't let him go. Give him the DL too because Washington sucks. 

Trying to be objective here.

He also had Poyer and Hyde in their prime when they were fully healthy and available.

Then inherited Milano and Tremain Edmunds in their prime.

So is he one of our best coaches, or luckiest?

If we let this kid walk and McD runs it back as "DC" next year, I'll be finding a better use for my time on Sundays.

4 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

He also had Poyer and Hyde in their prime when they were fully healthy and available.

Inherited Milano and Edmunds, but developed Dodson and Bernard into playing well above expectations. Spector and Williams look to be coming along nicely too.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Poyer and Hyde weren't always poyer and hyde

Also seeing how Bernard played this season unexpectedly as well as the improvement of Dodson through out the season

It's impressive 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Tremaine Edmunds sucks. Milano was a 5th round pick. Bernard was a 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

It is interesting with the idea to promote him to DC, I think the D-Line coach is also the assistant coach, so you'd think he's technically the guy next in line. But you can't really deny how effective Babich has been.

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

It is interesting with the idea to promote him to DC, I think the D-Line coach is also the assistant coach, so you'd think he's technically the guy next in line. But you can't really deny how effective Babich has been.

I think one of the main reasons Washington is listed as asst HC is to prop him up and get him out there so we can get those 3rd round picks.

Promoting him would seem to be the move, but he would seem to have a better opportunity with the Giants to put his own stamp on the defense since Daboll is an offense-oriented coach.  

That said, despite what a bunch of you are saying, McDermott has a lot more job security than Daboll.  And maybe Wink Martindale thought the same thing (re having freedom to operate) when he went to the Giants, but he learned pretty quickly that was not the case.  If the Giants want him, it's probably going to come down to who Babich feels more comfortable working with.  Hopefully that's McDermott.

29 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The easy fix is for McDermott to name him DC. Curious to see what happens. 

I agree and would love to keep Babich. It feels like Washington is "next in line" as DC. Has the Assistant HC title and handled the weekly press conference for defense. But it may be better for Babich to go work for the Offensive minded HC. Any success he gets here would be credited to McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JMM said:

I strongly felt that Babich would be elevated to DC after this year, this will almost certainly now be the case. He's a rising star. UNLESS...Frazier resumes his duties after his " year off"...😜

Seeing as Leslie is interviewing for HC positions at the moment, it's safe to say he ain't coming back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Would HATE to lose him. Hopefully, he's retained here. May need to promote him to do it.

Why? What exactly has he done other than be a part of the same defense that continues to fail over and over against elite QB's and in the playoffs?

• Eyeroll 3

1 hour ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Im

gonna go with best based on how Bernard and Dodson played this year. 

3 hours ago, Heels20X6 said:

Seeing as Leslie is interviewing for HC positions at the moment, it's safe to say he ain't coming back.

Yea Rooney rule stuff. I have a better chance of getting a HC gig than he does. He's pretty much done in this league now, other than as a position coach perhaps.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This might be the cover McD needs to promote him to DC.  

Yeah, tell Washington "sorry but I can't afford to lose him.  You'll still be AHC and here's a raise."

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Why? What exactly has he done other than be a part of the same defense that continues to fail over and over against elite QB's and in the playoffs?

Yeah I mean he just was the safeties coach around the time two journeymen DBs developed into one of the best safety duos in the league and then was moved over into the LBer coach right as Bernard suddenly develops into a stud MLB and our depth somehow manages to hold up despite losing an All Pro in Milano early in the season. But I mean what could they possibly be thinking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They's have to promote him and give him play calling responsibility.

They would, however it may still not be as appealing as working for an offensive minded HC. I mean, Frazier was here and had playcalling and credit ultimately was given to McDermott. Babich may be wiser to get out of the McDermott shadow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They would, however it may still not be as appealing as working for an offensive minded HC. I mean, Frazier was here and had playcalling and credit ultimately was given to McDermott. Babich may be wiser to get out of the McDermott shadow.

Frazier had also been a HC and failed and is much older, a young guy with a great track record as a position coach would be able to get a shot somewhere, and worse case he can move on either way he'd get experience as a DC with great DC experience to draw from the HC.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Would HATE to lose him. Hopefully, he's retained here. May need to promote him to do it.

🤔 That Dam Dabol curse you for trying to pilfer our coaches ! Go back to Alabama and get your coaches .

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T master said:

🤔 That Dam Dabol curse you for trying to pilfer our coaches ! Go back to Alabama and get your coaches .

I mean, he did take Bobby Johnson when he left, so we kinda owe him one😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Poyer and Hyde were not superstars when they joined the team in 2017, as I'm sure you know. Hyde was learning a new position. Poyer underperformed in Cleveland.

Babich was Assistant Defensive Backs coach in 2017 and moved to Safeties coach in 2018. You really don't want to attribute any success to him?

Tremaine Edmunds underperformed for most of his time in Buffalo. Matt Milano was great, but not known as the best OLB in the league prior to 2022. Babich moved to Linebackers coach in 2022. The result was an All-Pro season for Milano and by FAR Edmunds best year as a Bill. 

Is that not enough for you?

How about Terrel Bernard blossoming into a stud MLB under Babich? Or Tyrel Dodson turning into a legit starter after Milano went down, after doing nothing the 3 previous years with the Bills? Klein coming in off the street and having a great game vs the Steelers when the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd OLB went down?

Is that all luck as well?

Babich might not turn out to be a great defensive coordinator, but success has legitimately followed him at every position he's coached with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Babich just fine, but I refuse to believe any positions coach on the team really matters.

These guys are interchangeable, and many of them bring little value to the job anyway.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I’m on the fence on wanting to like this because he is our best up-and-coming defensive coach but I feel if I support us making him d coordinator I’m supporting us keeping McDermott and I’m just not there yet. Ha ha.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Easy fix which according to Rooney Rule needs to be competed for.

I’m actually curious if they would have to open it up. It’s not really a vacancy, it’s a promote from within. 

I suppose it’s all moot since it sounds like it will be status quo defensively. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’m actually curious if they would have to open it up. It’s not really a vacancy, it’s a promote from within. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/19/nfl-rooney-rule-requirements-hiring-coach-gm-executives#:~:text=Here's what the rule looks,candidate for a coordinator job.

. The NFL requires every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.