Gabe plans to test free agency

Einstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Shaq Lawson at $1.3M is a good value for our DE4 spot

I think we need to get younger along the D line, especially if we bring back Floyd and Jones to go with Mille and let Epenesa walk.  The only returning D Line under 30 are Oliver and Rousseau (and little-used Kingsley Jonathan).

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think we need to get younger along the D line, especially if we bring back Floyd and Jones to go with Mille and let Epenesa walk.  The only returning D Line under 30 are Oliver and Rousseau (and little-used Kingsley Jonathan).

Shaq is in his 20s 🤷‍♂️ :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Ashamed of those fans. This isn’t who we are. 

"Who we are" is a pretty eclectic group of fans.    But "we" were dubbed mafia because of oversized reactions to perceived slights and football disappointments.........not because "we" are a bunch of sweethearts regarding poor performance.

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

He'll be 30 in June.

Haha, made ya look it up! But he is in his 20s and would be in his 20s when re-signed in FA.

Mostly just joking, but I do think it adds to my value argument.

With the amount of openings on the DL, we can bring him back in cheap AND still get younger via the other free agents and draft picks. I'm assuming we'll draft at least 1 DE and 1 DT.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Only Dodson, Jones, and Floyd should be brought back.  OK maybe Dane Jackson.  The rest, we thank you for your efforts for the Bills.  Good luck with your future endeavors.  

Jones is a must imo. Floyd may be hard to retain, but I’d like him back. 

Dodson is interesting. I doubt he comes back to be a backup to Bernard and Milano. At the same time I wonder what his market is. Off ball linebackers typically struggle in free agency…I guess it depends on what stock teams put in that PFF stuff. But I’d say he’s gone because he would probably want a chance to start somewhere. 

Perhaps Dane as well. He’s probably going to look to start somewhere, not sure he finds that opportunity, but the lack of solid corners in the league is a big thing. 

I think it’s time to move in a different direction across the board at defensive end. IMO, none of them are big threats to get after the QB. Rousseau has been a big disappointment but we are stuck with him for now.

The heart of our d-line is in the middle of it.

Edited by Beast

7 hours ago, wppete said:

Beasley could be right. 

Beasley could be right?

Doubtful.

Nothing against Gabe. I like him just fine but the Bills need to improve their top 2 in the wide receiver room. You can’t have multiple weeks where one of your top receivers has zero catches. In fact, Davis had only 6 catches in the Bills 5 game winning streak to end the regular season.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wish Gabe well, just like I wished Tremaine well last year going into the off-season. Still, he is not the guy we need opposite of Diggs. We need a competent #2 who understands the game mentally, can really build a rapport with Josh, and has a fairly diverse route tree in his repertoire. We also need to be looking for an immediate #2 with #1 potential. Diggs ain't getting any younger. 

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's been a while since me and Bease have seen eye to eye on anything, but I agree with what he is saying here about Gabe. He's best off on the Free Agent market, but I have a feeling the team will miss him. AND I hate the fact that fans were classless enough to heckle Davis and any of our own players after that game.

reminds me of the Zay Jones and Bobby Trees situations.

Both of them went on to succeed elsewhere but were overlooked and under appreciated, if not disrespected by fans.

Davis came in and busted his butt, bought into the process, and did everything right.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

6-8 weeks ago, i didn't think we'd get floyd back. now i think we should only take him back for the same or even less. haven't seen much of him lately. 1 sack in the last 8 weeks. none in the last 5. 

how much money is 10 sacks in the first half of the season worth? 

He has been battling injuries 

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Beasley could be right?

Doubtful.

Nothing against Gabe. I like him just fine but the Bills need to improve their top 2 in the wide receiver room. You can’t have multiple weeks where one of your top receivers has zero catches. In fact, Davis had only 6 catches in the Bills 5 game winning streak to end the regular season.

just think if we got DHop this year how we could have used Davis? We would have Diggs, Davis, Dhop, Shakir... to pair with Knox, Kincaid, and Cook/Murray.

Diggs comes off the field 1 every 5 plays, Shakir is a slot dude, DHop, Davis, and Diggs on the outside with Shakir or Kincaid in the mix is a nightmare. You spread that offense out wide with 3 legit downfield targets you give Josh room for the RPO's or the scrambles.

Nothing against Gabe Davis as a person but he just doesn't get open. At all. He fools no one with his route running and gives Josh nowhere to go with the ball from the WR2 spot because he's never open. Drops are an issue too, although I guess drops are a problem with all our pass catchers.

6 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

6-8 weeks ago, i didn't think we'd get floyd back. now i think we should only take him back for the same or even less. haven't seen much of him lately. 1 sack in the last 8 weeks. none in the last 5. 

how much money is 10 sacks in the first half of the season worth? 

His play certainly fell off a cliff. Someone else said he was dealing with a shoulder injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

We have some truly classless fans.

14 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Yowza

Not a good look for Gabe engaging negatively with fans

He's good as gone.

And that's ok with me

Its not a good look with some idiot fans either.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

Nothing against Gabe Davis as a person but he just doesn't get open. At all. He fools no one with his route running and gives Josh nowhere to go with the ball from the WR2 spot because he's never open. Drops are an issue too, although I guess drops are a problem with all our pass catchers.

Actually the All-22 from many games shows that he’s open far more than you’d imagine, but for whatever reason he and Josh don’t usually connect. They have little to no chemistry. In turn the defense doesn’t prioritize Gabe as a player that could threaten them. Perhaps that’s the real reason why he’s open, it’s not precision level route running.

All this tells me he's had a number from day one and we laughed him out of the meeting. I'm sure he is using the 13 second game and the fact that Diggs is aging as his main points of why I'm worth X. I just don't see him as a need here. He's easily replaceable via draft and doesn't offer something that Diggs or Shakir don't. Noted I've been big on Shakir since his draft but Davis can go and look for the money he thinks he's worth

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

Davis told reporters in the Bills’ locker room today that he expects to see what other teams are ready to offer him when free agency begins in March before he makes any decisions about where he’s playing in 2024 and beyond.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/gabe-davis-plans-to-test-free-agency-but-is-open-to-staying-in-buffalo

a big contract could result in a 3rd Round Comp Pick.

Epenesa may yield the same.

• Like (+1) 2

I am interested to see what he gets.   There are 5-10 other FAs WRs that I'd rather have if money was close.  I have no clue what each will make, but there are options.

This FA class has
Tee Higgins
Michael Pittman Jr
Mike Evans
Marquise Brown
Calvin Ridley
Curtis Samuel
Darnell Mooney
OBJ
Tyler boyd

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Is there an under the radar FA WR who wants a big pay day but needs to pump up his stats to get it, that is one year of Josh Allen throwing him the ball on a cheap one year deal?  It’s nuts if Buffalo can’t attract quality FA WR’s.  Of course, that would apply to KC and Mahomes.  Crazy that their WR’s we’re as bad as they were this year.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We have some truly classless fans.

Its not a good look with some idiot fans either.

THIS.  This was my take from the video, even Davis looks stunned he is getting crap from classless fans in a game he didn't even play in.  I mean dude played hard for this team regardless of what people think about his ability as a WR2.  He has been a "dawg" as Beasley alluded too for this team since he got here in how he played, especially in his tenacity in blocking as a WR too.  

Im ready for a change at WR2 like many people are, but Gabe has been nothing but a model citizen and selfless teammate.  He did not at all deserve this kind of harassment from some idiot fans.  And mark my words, those fans are f-ing idiots.  

While I think a change at WR2 will be good for both Davis and this team, I don't know why anyone feels he deserves this kind of ridicule and hostility.  I wish him well wherever he lands.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:43 PM, May Day 10 said:

What % of Allen's interceptions were Davis passes this season?  

We'll be looking back at this year and marveling that Allen took this offense this far throwing to Diggs and Davis as his top two receivers. This might have been a different season if Shakir and Kincaid had been the featured receivers all along, with Diggs relegated to a Beasley-type role and Davis restricted to blocking and the occasional target. I mean, wake up, Brady! Shakir led the league in catch rate--with an impressive YPC and YAC, too. Did Brady and McDermott think he was too young and inexperienced? Didn't smell good enough in the locker room?

What do Diggs and Miller have in common? Both are paid north of $25 million a year. Is THAT why the team kept playing them in the face of glaring evidence that both are profoundly ineffective? 

19 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Is there an under the radar FA WR who wants a big pay day but needs to pump up his stats to get it, that is one year of Josh Allen throwing him the ball on a cheap one year deal?  It’s nuts if Buffalo can’t attract quality FA WR’s.  Of course, that would apply to KC and Mahomes.  Crazy that their WR’s we’re as bad as they were this year.

Truly under the radar...

Jalen Guyton. Whenever I watched the Chargers he was making plays. He had a bit of an off year coming off 2 injury-riddled years and Herbert's injury so he is the kind of guy who could take that one-year deal and explode. I like his potential. 

Van Jefferson has bounced around a little and hasn't emerged yet. there is a lot of potential there imo. He had a great 2021 with the Rams, got hurt, and fell off. He could earn himself a ton of money by coming to play with Josh. He has the pedigree and needs a chance to bounce back. 

Scotty Miller. I wanted them to sign him last year. He has speed and he has some joystick to him. He's never really had that full opportunity to be a guy, but there is a lot of Cole Beasley in there with 4.3 speed. 

Those are my three under-the-radar cheap guys who could explode and earn some money with Josh. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

THIS.  This was my take from the video, even Davis looks stunned he is getting crap from classless fans in a game he didn't even play in.  I mean dude played hard for this team regardless of what people think about his ability as a WR2.  He has been a "dawg" as Beasley alluded too for this team since he got here in how he played, especially in his tenacity in blocking as a WR too.  

Im ready for a change at WR2 like many people are, but Gabe has been nothing but a model citizen and selfless teammate.  He did not at all deserve this kind of harassment from some idiot fans.  And mark my words, those fans are f-ing idiots.  

While I think a change at WR2 will be good for both Davis and this team, I don't know why anyone feels he deserves this kind of ridicule and hostility.  I wish him well wherever he lands.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/mom-defends-gabe-davis-after-viral-video-of-argument-with-fans/article_b00f6622-ba3f-11ee-986d-7fc92471e0e8.html

Apparently—at least according to his mom—he was defending Bass from a-hole fans (and yes, there are a lot of a-hole Bills fans): ‘Davis' mother, Alana, posted on X that Gabe was “taking up for Bass.” Davis can be seen comforting Bass, along with quarterback Josh Allen, in the tunnel area after the game.’

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 1/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, Einstein said:

Davis told reporters in the Bills’ locker room today that he expects to see what other teams are ready to offer him when free agency begins in March before he makes any decisions about where he’s playing in 2024 and beyond.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/gabe-davis-plans-to-test-free-agency-but-is-open-to-staying-in-buffalo

Good riddens!

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Makes room for two WR’s in the draft.  We also need safeties.  Thankfully we have 10 picks in the draft.  My guess is we also let Von go and take the cap hit.

We may keep this dude, though. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/mom-defends-gabe-davis-after-viral-video-of-argument-with-fans/article_b00f6622-ba3f-11ee-986d-7fc92471e0e8.html

Apparently—at least according to his mom—he was defending Bass from a-hole fans (and yes, there are a lot of a-hole Bills fans😞 ‘Davis' mother, Alana, posted on X that Gabe was “taking up for Bass.” Davis can be seen comforting Bass, along with quarterback Josh Allen, in the tunnel area after the game.’

No different than the posters here who coin derisive nicknames for players they don't like.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.