Bills Draft Rd 1 - Pick 28

boyst

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think any of those guys are really similar to one another.

In terms of the tall, physical WR mold like Evans, you could maybe look to Keon Coleman or Adonai Mitchell. However, they both rank near the bottom of the draft class in terms of yards per route run and aren't particularly good in terms of contested catch rate. Mitchell moves fairly well for his size but his targets per route run suggest he probably doesn't get open as well as most. Coleman on the other hand gets a pretty good number of targets but they're mostly contested opportunities which is a pretty big red flag against college competition.

In terms of the size/speed freaks like DK, you're probably looking at Brian Thomas Jr. and Xavier Legette. But unlike DK Metcalf, who was one of the best prospects to come around in a long time in terms of beating press coverage, that's something that Xavier Legette really struggles with.  Thomas has the size (6'4"), speed, and press beating skills to at least kinda earn that sort of competition, but he body catches pretty much everything.

Not really sure anyone particularly compares to Jefferson aside from maybe one of the guys that are out of our reach.

This is the dude I’m talking about:

a big physical beast who can jump up and catch anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, boyst said:

With the 28th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select: ___________

A difference maker on offense…, 

The only position I will accept in round 1 outside of WR is safety, and that's only if there is no good value at WR at 28 and we then make a move up in round 2 to take one. Safety and WR in rounds 1 and 2 and then you can start filling in holes on the d line, with another WR in there somewhere. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Agreed you can’t trade all the way up to top 10 but there is a way he falls to the teens or lower. A lot of teams need OT help. And honestly I see at least 4 QBs going in the top 10. Don’t forget Bowers will get snagged early. It’s unlikely but if he falls to the teens I’d be willing to move up and snag him if it only took our 2nd rounder. Hes that good

But If we can’t get a bona fide stud day 1 super star then I’m fine grabbing a couple WRs in this draft because it is very deep at the position 

I don't see Bowers going before Odunze. Bowers will go later than most expect. Don't think he is a top 10 pick.

• Agree 1

Dude

send the scouts home, we found him.  

Leggette from South Carolina.

watch his highlights.  He jumps up and high points the ball.  He brings down contested catches.  He catches with his hands.  He is super fast.  He plays  WR like Josh Allen would play WR! 

he’s built like DK Metcalf and runs like him too.

complementary football!? This dude is the WR the Bills need to perfectly compliment Allen’s skill set.  No more tiny shifty guys trying to catch Allen’s bombs.  

we beat the chiefs yesterday if this guy was on the team!!!

send the scouts home early, trade up and just get draft him already. 

52 minutes ago, peterpan said:

This is the dude I’m talking about:

a big physical beast who can jump up and catch anything. 

I get it. But the main thing we really need out of that mold is someone that can deal with press coverage so that our smaller guys don’t have to deal with it. That’s what made DK so special and it’s what makes Legette a disappointing prospect IMO. That along with the fact that it took him 5 years to do anything at all in college; which is pretty much always an indicator of a WR that will bust in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Dude

send the scouts home, we found him.  

Leggette from South Carolina.

watch his highlights.  He jumps up and high points the ball.  He brings down contested catches.  He catches with his hands.  He is super fast.  He plays  WR like Josh Allen would play WR! 

he’s built like DK Metcalf and runs like him too.

complementary football!? This dude is the WR the Bills need to perfectly compliment Allen’s skill set.  No more tiny shifty guys trying to catch Allen’s bombs.  

we beat the chiefs yesterday if this guy was on the team!!!

send the scouts home early, trade up and just get draft him already. 

Beane passing on DK Metcalf is a fireable offense. This new guy appears to be in the same mold. 100 percent on board. This offense needs an alpha receiver with size, speed, strength and catch radius. 

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I get it. But the main thing we really need out of that mold is someone that can deal with press coverage so that our smaller guys don’t have to deal with it. That’s what made DK so special and it’s what makes Legette a disappointing prospect IMO. That along with the fact that it took him 5 years to do anything at all in college; which is pretty much always an indicator of a WR that will bust in the NFL. 

Watch some highlights of the other late 1st WRs.  They are generally schemed wide open, never expected to make a contested catch, and catch a lot of balls against their chest.  They might be able to make those spectacular plays but just haven’t seen it.

Brian Thomas Jr also makes a lot of great impressive “NFL” plays

i don’t want to imply I watch all these guys year round, I just watched the guys on this list.  It just seemed pointless to keep investigating after seeing Legette.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-draft-5-wide-receivers-who-could-sneak-into-first-round/

Edited by peterpan

32 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Watch some highlights of the other late 1st WRs.  They are generally schemed wide open, never expected to make a contested catch, and catch a lot of balls against their chest.  They might be able to make those spectacular plays but just haven’t seen it.

Brian Thomas Jr also makes a lot of great impressive “NFL” plays

i don’t want to imply I watch all these guys year round, I just watched the guys on this list.  It just seemed pointless to keep investigating after seeing Legette.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-draft-5-wide-receivers-who-could-sneak-into-first-round/

I definitely get it. It’s a good and deep WR class but picking as late as we currently are, you’re going to have to take WRs that have holes in their games. Just have to figure out which holes you think you can deal with really. Legette could definitely be good; guys with his size, speed, and physicality are very attractive prospects to gamble on. I definitely worry about how long it took him to make an impact and the press coverage stuff though given our specific needs.

You might like Adonai Mitchell as well; he’s not as fast as Legette but he’s tall and generally considered a weirdly flexible route runner for someone his size. Keon Coleman is another contested catch merchant but comes with his own red flags too. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

FWIW, Dane Brugler from The Athletic just released his first two-round mock of the year based on what's hearing around the league and he does not have Legette going in the first two rounds. Seems like a lot of people have been turned off from him recently. Obviously plenty of time for that to change though.

Well... I'm not sure what Mr Brugler was watching, or what anyone is saying... But I'll go ahead and trust my eyes... That kid is special...

I get that he's a late bloomer... And yes he does let the ball get into his body from time to time. But he has shown the ability to pluck it in crazy good fashion too. And he pretty much catches everything anyway...so... I really don't see much of an issue with him. He's a power forward with 4.3 speed and crazy body control...

I certainly hope the rest of the NFL is turned off by him. If the Bills get that kind of WR talent at #28 it would be amazing. I love this WR class and a lot of the guys in it. But Legette is my favorite after Nabers and Harrison. He's also a different kind of WR... He's 6-3-227... And unlike a lot of prospects who are rumored to have great speed but don't show it... You can literally see Legette's burst on the field. 

I was a massive DK Metcalf fan and wanted the Bills to take him in the 1st instead of Oliver. I think Legette is a mix of Metcalf and AJ Brown as far as his ceiling is concerned. Josh will make him All World... 

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well... I'm not sure what Mr Brugler was watching, or what anyone is saying... But I'll go ahead and trust my eyes... That kid is special...

I get that he's a late bloomer... And yes he does let the ball get into his body from time to time. But he has shown the ability to pluck it in crazy good fashion too. And he pretty much catches everything anyway...so... I really don't see much of an issue with him. He's a power forward with 4.3 speed and crazy body control...

I certainly hope the rest of the NFL is turned off by him. If the Bills get that kind of WR talent at #28 it would be amazing. I love this WR class and a lot of the guys in it. But Legette is my favorite after Nabers and Harrison. He's also a different kind of WR... He's 6-3-227... And unlike a lot of prospects who are rumored to have great speed but don't show it... You can literally see Legette's burst on the field. 

I was a massive DK Metcalf fan and wanted the Bills to take him in the 1st instead of Oliver. I think Legette is a mix of Metcalf and AJ Brown as far as his ceiling is concerned. Josh will make him All World... 

DK didn't go in the first two rounds either. That was a mistake they won't make again. I expect Leggett to go late first early second. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

For everyone wanting a WR - statistics say round # 1 picks are a coin flip relative to productivity in year #1.  

Agreed. That's why I'd like to supplement a (high) draft pick with a veteran free agent (assuming Gabe is gone). We can't afford Higgins or Ridley (who McD wouldn't want for other reasons). Pickings look slim. Maybe Mooney on an incentive laden deal. Has had a 1000 yard season. Still only 26. At least we could probably afford him. Maybe he would flourish with Josh. A lot different passing game than in Chicago.

Edited by starrymessenger

We need 2 WRs coming out of this draft.  Ideally, you get one that by the end of the season is competing for WR1.  The problem is going to be where we're picking.  While this is a deep draft class for WR, there are a TON of teams that need one.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the top 7 WRs are off the board by the time our pick rolls around based on the amount of teams that need one.  Not saying you can't still get one that turns out to be great.....of course you can.  But in terms of the top guys going into the draft.....  We might be too far out and we might find better value at another position because so many WRs come off the board early.

The answer must be BPA. 

As much as we have obvious holes at WR, we cannot allow recency bias and need to control our board or we went up with another Elam pick. 

I’d rather bring on the best available at a position of need than the 6th best WR because they feel they have to address it early. 

That being said, if you like someone, go get that WR. Don’t wait around and panic pick if they aren’t there. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is a wide receiver draft take the best available

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The answer must be BPA. 

As much as we have obvious holes at WR, we cannot allow recency bias and need to control our board or we went up with another Elam pick. 

I’d rather bring on the best available at a position of need than the 6th best WR because they feel they have to address it early. 

That being said, if you like someone, go get that WR. Don’t wait around and panic pick if they aren’t there. 

It won’t be recent bias

Dave Davis is going to get a contract somewhere else so there’s going to be a need

Diggs had a down here

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Monty98 said:

Give me Kam Kinchens from Miami. One of the better safety's out there and we have to replace two. He's a ball hawk, isn't super proficient in the run game, but he's was a do it all safety for Miami 2 years ago, this year he missed some time with an injury but was their best player on the back 7. They have two high caliber safeties coming out but James Williams is a Strong Safety whereas Kam is the FS. 

I'm all about the LB from Texas AM in the 1st. Sure handed deep threat in the 2nd. Safety from Maryland in 3rd or Moose Muhammad. Resign Rapp

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I definitely get it. It’s a good and deep WR class but picking as late as we currently are, you’re going to have to take WRs that have holes in their games. Just have to figure out which holes you think you can deal with really. Legette could definitely be good; guys with his size, speed, and physicality are very attractive prospects to gamble on. I definitely worry about how long it took him to make an impact and the press coverage stuff though given our specific needs.

You might like Adonai Mitchell as well; he’s not as fast as Legette but he’s tall and generally considered a weirdly flexible route runner for someone his size. Keon Coleman is another contested catch merchant but comes with his own red flags too. 

I watch Texas and yea Mitchell is also good.  I saw some KeonColeman just now he seems good too.  

idk it just jumps off the screen how this Legette is another level. He looks like a head taller and a foot wider than anyone guarding him.  He runs like an Olympic sprinter.  The ball ….It looks like a nerf football in his hands.  He jumps like 3 feet in the air.  He’s built like Gronkowski and runs like tyreek. You’d think he was playing against high school kids but it’s the SEC! 

• Like (+1) 2

I’d bet big money on a safety

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm all about the LB from Texas AM in the 1st. Sure handed deep threat in the 2nd. Safety from Maryland in 3rd or Moose Muhammad. Resign Rapp

We don’t need a LB for anything more than depth. We have two and we will continue to play nickel every down

I'm partial to Tez Walker among the back half of first round prospects.

I know people tend to use the draft sites to arrange their picks and he's not "mocking" this high generally but he has the size, speed, soft hands, catches contested passes, tracks the ball well, keeps his feet moving at the catch etc.

I like Brian Thomas Jr a lot too but my guess is he's gone.

Honestly,  if Tez Walker tests like the people at UNC expect(4.3's) he's probably gone too.

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

DK didn't go in the first two rounds either. That was a mistake they won't make again. I expect Leggett to go late first early second. 

Oh I know... DK was my guy that year too... I wanted him SO bad... Those posts are still here I think... What could have been... Can you imagine DK with Josh? 

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I thought through a path yesterday. Trade Chicago Diggs plus 28 for 9 (or whatever their pick is). The Giants at 6 could do something like that too. Use 9 & 2025 1st to get to 3 or 4. Not likely but possible. 

FWIW, I think Franklin or Legette is the target. They could also drop back and consider Xavier Worthy. I think that the Bills want speed.

Love this idea.  In those trade ups are Harrison or Nabers the targets?  Anyone else?  

Also can use free cap space from Diggs to get Pittman.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The answer must be BPA. 

They'll be there this year... There's been 10 WR's I've seen mocked in the 1st round here and there so far. Plenty of things can change, but no way that many go by #28 of course... In fact I'd be surprised if any more than 5 go from 1-27... That would leave the Bills with a player like Legette, Franklin, Walker, Coleman, or Mitchell... There's a good chance 3 out of those 5 will be available. And any of those 5 would be a big time addition. 

13 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Troy Franklin - WR from Oregon is where my mind goes currently. I think there is a  strong chance he is there at 28. 

If he runs in the 4.3s I don't see how we could pass him up. Large radius, good hands, separator, diverse route tree, and can take the top off. Checks every box for a guy opposite Diggs to take this offense to the next level. Except run blocking of course 🤣

He's also only 20 and WRs that pop young typically have huge upside 

The type of guy KC would jump ahead of us to take who'd then haunt us for the next decade

Spent the last hour reading scouting reports and watching highlight videos of some of the suggestions in this thread (yes I know this is an extremely limited way of researching prospects). All of them left something to be desired. After the obvious top 3 of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze, everyone else seemed like a round 2 or lower prospect to me.

And then I got to Troy Franklin. He has immediately become my draft crush (last year my drash crush was Kincaid so that worked out perfectly for me). What am I missing here? He has the kind of vertical speed that makes it impossible to overthrow him. He has a knack for turning his leverage at the catch point into YAC. He appears to be able to run more than just go routes. He looks competitive out there and looks like he truly loves to play the game which means something. Plus he is 6'3 unlike a lot of these speedy WR prospects we see year after year.

Seems like a perfect fit for Josh Allen. Maybe not capable of becoming a true alpha #1 but elite speed means so much in the modern NFL and it's slim pickings at the bottom of the 1st no matter what.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Spent the last hour reading scouting reports and watching highlight videos of some of the suggestions in this thread (yes I know this is an extremely limited way of researching prospects). All of them left something to be desired. After the obvious top 3 of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze, everyone else seemed like a round 2 or lower prospect to me.

And then I got to Troy Franklin. He has immediately become my draft crush (last year my drash crush was Kincaid so that worked out perfectly for me). What am I missing here? He has the kind of vertical speed that makes it impossible to overthrow him. He has a knack for turning his leverage at the catch point into YAC. He appears to be able to run more than just go routes. He looks competitive out there and looks like he truly loves to play the game which means something. Plus he is 6'3 unlike a lot of these speedy WR prospects we see year after year.

Seems like a perfect fit for Josh Allen. Maybe not capable of becoming a true alpha #1 but elite speed means so much in the modern NFL and it's slim pickings at the bottom of the 1st no matter what.

I really like Keon Coleman, but really this draft is an embarrassment of riches at WR.  All I really care about is targeting a bigger body WR, 6"3 or taller. Franklin fits the mold. Several others as well. Josh likes to throw people open. Complete shame we haven't given him a guy that can post up and make contested catches.  

Edited by Mikie2times

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

From what I've been reading, knocks on him are:

- Below-average flexibility. Tall, lanky frame makes it tough for him to drop his hips and work certain routes.

- Inconsistent ability to win the ball in the air. Shows flashes thanks to good hands and long arms, but it comes and goes.

- Below-average blocker due to skinny frame.

But at where we're picking, you're not going to find a perfect prospect. Gotta take the good with the bad. And it looks like there's a lot of good.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I really like Keon Coleman, but really this draft is an embarrassment of riches at WR. 

I am immediately wary of any WR prospect where his best trait is "contested catch specialist." That is a red flag. My first question is, why are you facing so many contested catches against college coverage? The coverage is going to get much much tougher in the pros and the contested catches don't come as easy. I can't remember the last "contested catch specialist" that worked out in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I am immediately wary of any WR prospect where his best trait is "contested catch specialist." That is a red flag. My first question is, why are you facing so many contested catches against college coverage? The coverage is going to get much much tougher in the pros and the contested catches don't come as easy. I can't remember the last "contested catch specialist" that worked out in the NFL.

Bigger target is what I want. Enjoy, he's a beast. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

From what I've been reading, knocks on him are:

- Below-average flexibility. Tall, lanky frame makes it tough for him to drop his hips and work certain routes.

- Inconsistent ability to win the ball in the air. Shows flashes thanks to good hands and long arms, but it comes and goes.

- Below-average blocker due to skinny frame.

But at where we're picking, you're not going to find a perfect prospect. Gotta take the good with the bad. And it looks like there's a lot of good.

I can see the concern about his frame, that is just not something I personally worry about. People criticized Devonta Smith over his frame. I think NFL strength and conditioning can help him fill out a bit, and more importantly his other athletic traits more than make up for it.

I don't expect him to be a great contested catch WR and that isn't what you draft him to be. Just separate and then catch the ball when it hits him in the hands. That is all I want out of our next WR investment.

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Bigger target is what I want. Enjoy, he's a beast. 

I remember identical highlight videos for N'Keal Harry. Just isn't my kind of WR personally. I want separation first and foremost.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.