Fake punt!?

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

If Allen was on the punt team they might have been suspicious.

Right, but the chances also would have been better.

Damar Hamlin?

Edited by Beast

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea because that’s the way the game would trend if they didn’t load up on defense? 😅 you seemingly think more defense year after year is the answer for McD to do better. 

I just think we have this discussion every year when they lose in the playoffs because the D has wet the bed …. And you say they need to spend more assets on the O?

The O was fine today … 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Their WRs let them down several times today and had NO separation…. And every year their defense ***** the bed… the philosophy needs to change.

I still maintain the O did enough today .. I know you don’t accept injury excuses for the D 

Edited by Aussie Joe

39 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

You can’t tell me that McD’s personal beliefs weren’t involved with giving that play the OK.

Yeah he thought he was creating a storybook moment with Hamlin getting the 1st down. Unfortunately in the real world that doesn't work. Should have just kept the ball in Josh's hands and trusted him to make a play. But our head coach regularly has these brain freeze moments in critical situations.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Years ago the Bills tried a halfback pass on 4th down & failed.  Some caller called WGR when Chuck "The Coach" Dickerson was doing the postgame show and called the play "4th and stupid"  

The faked punt was "4th and stupid II" 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

McD gets crucified for being conservative … but what we mean is show some balls but make sure you pick up the first down .. 

We ripped Leslie Frazier for playing conservatively on defense against KC. Tonight McD dialed up a blitz in a key situation, Mahomes read it, and delivered a big gain.

Sometimes the coach can't get a break.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m in the rock pile and said to my friend, you know what would be hilarious and make the internet go crazy? A fake punt to DeMar. And they actually called it. 

can’t call McDermott conservative and get mad when he gets aggressive. It was an insane move and it didn’t affect the end result. But insane 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Wow. Well then it was just a terribly designed or terribly executed fake punt. Or both.

I bet they practiced that with Damar all week. If it had worked and led to a score, it would have been national news as the feel good story of the decade. And if that’s even 1% true - that McD did it as some sort of nod to Hamlin - he needs his head examined. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Still got the ball back on the 20, luckily 

The 3 plays that stick out are the Sherfield and Diggs drops and Bass miss

Diggs is much worse than Sherfield because Diggs is paid to make catches harder than that.  

• Agree 1

It was bad, but not as bad as everyone thinks. Martin couldn’t kick the ball more than twenty yards anyway. Martin kicking in this game is one of the most underrated coaching blunders of this game. Sending Martin out there clearly injured was ridiculous. The defense was bad, but field position does make a difference. At the very least, a couple longer punts would have run more clock, forcing KC into longer drives. 

• Agree 1

The Chiefs were prepared for it because I could pry punt farther than Martin given his hamstring injury.  Combine that with poor execution and that's what you get.  Wasn't a fan of the call but will admit I'd call it genius if it worked.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he thought he was creating a storybook moment with Hamlin getting the 1st down. Unfortunately in the real world that doesn't work. Should have just kept the ball in Josh's hands and trusted him to make a play. But our head coach regularly has these brain freeze moments in critical situations.

Should have had the players run in a circle while huddling.  That would have further confused (?) KC. 🤨

Martin playing with what I heard was a torn hamstring. This play was in the works I'm sure all week, which makes it more pathetic.  The other punt he had, they had to kick it because they were deep in our own end.  The punt went nowhere.  Mistake was having him in the game in the first place.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So you prefer them to just punt it or go for it?  Can’t even remember how far to go … but it wasn’t a gimme right? 

Unfortunately you have to punt it in that situation but our punter was also 50% out there which is another head scratcher. Guy shanking punts left and right 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.