Poyer and Hyde

Dubie54

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If I was McD and Elam doesn't win a starting outside corner job, they should train him to be Johnson's back to as nickel. Now Elam can't tackle but he can cover man to man well. 

I think the slot is the worst place to put Elam.  He seems to struggle in short yardage quick routes which is why he grabs so much...he's off balance easily.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Stillers were working Lewis when he was in the game... I REALLY hope you are wrong.

Cam has been fine in the safety spot when they go into certain dime packages. Once he went to nickel for Taron Johnson he got eaten alive and he was awful. I don't think he is a starter in this league, but ok as a safety. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-playoffs-jordan-poyer-micah-hyde-afc-divisional-round-kansas-city-chiefs

"A lot of people counted us out," Poyer said. "Nobody blinked. Nobody panicked. We stuck together. Getting in a rhythm [and] getting wins [and] stacking them on each other helps. Those losses early in the season helped build our adversity. They helped build for these moments right here."

"We're finding ways to win, and that's what's important," Poyer said. At the end of the day, a lot of that adversity that we dealt with throughout the season helped us for these moments right here, and we're prepared for them."

jordan-poyer-micah-hyde-1.webp

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Love Poyer and Hyde, but imagine if Bills walk out with Duggers and Benford? 

Personally, I prefer Dugger and Douglas in the back, with Benford and Jackson/Rookie/Elam/Whoever at the other CB.

Dugger and Douglas. Dug and Dug... there's a nickname or a joke there somewhere, but I dont know what yet...

My guess is one is staying to not shake the apple cart completely and based off performance and health I expect it to be Poyer. If the Bills win the SB Hyde is retiring on spot, otherwise I just can't devote cap space to him at this point.

• Agree 1

Didn't read through this whole thing to see if it was mentioned already, but if Hyde is ready to retire I'd hope they approach him to see if he has interest in coaching. He seems like a really smart dude who's always been more than the sum of his athletic ability. If he's interested, maybe keep Po through his contract and have the two of them coach up the next pair.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, transient said:

Didn't read through this whole thing to see if it was mentioned already, but if Hyde is ready to retire I'd hope they approach him to see if he has interest in coaching. He seems like a really smart dude who's always been more than the sum of his athletic ability. If he's interested, maybe keep Po through his contract and have the two of them coach up the next pair.

Joe Danna and John Butler may have something to say about giving their jobs away! :lol:

Although we could have an open spot if we promote Bobby Babich or Eric Washington to full time DC. Would have to shuffle some chairs around.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you for your service, gents.

Both are/should be gone next year.

They will go down as the greatest safety duo in Bills history. Their contributions to this organization will forever be celebrated.  But father time is undefeated and we need to start the young safety transition in this April's draft. 

21 & 23 forever....

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Sort of sounds like a personal injury law firm, and in fact these two have been doling out personal injuries for the Bills since 2017. Signed as free agents on the same day in March 2017, these two have been so solid and dependable you almost take them for granted each year. 

They both have lost a step or two, but they know this defense inside and out and I imagine their leadership and experience in the locker room and on the field has been a huge help to guys like Taron Johnson and Cam Lewis. Romo was raving about them on Sunday and I think he really understands the impact they have on the game. 

Poyer has a year left on his deal but Hyde is a FA and I suspect Hyde may retire given his neck injury history. If we keep Poyer, his cap hit is $7.4m and his dead cap hit is $2m. That's a tough decision for Beane, because what value do you put on keeping Poyer around another year for his experience and leadership in helping the transition to a new set of safeties.

I for one have really enjoyed watching these two play and will miss their impact on the Bills defense, but I suspect that a lot of opposing quarterbacks aren't going to miss them much.

I hope they go on the Bills Wall of Fame - together. 

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we can keep Poyer another year.  He's still an average safety and on the market, I think an average safety is going to make about as much as Poyer.

Not sure if it's a good idea changing out two safety's.  I think that's what really hurt the Bengals.

I think Cam Lewis might be our other starting safety next year.

Don’t think it will be Cam - more likely Rapp.   Keep in mind the Bills have player Po as a hybrid LB this year and I think McDermott likely the concept.  I can see them drafting a S next year.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Joe Danna and John Butler may have something to say about giving their jobs away! :lol:

Although we could have an open spot if we promote Bobby Babich or Eric Washington to full time DC. Would have to shuffle some chairs around.

I was thinking kinda like the failed Ed Reed experiment with Wrex, only, unlike everything that baffoon touched, more well thought out and... you know, purposeful. I'm not suggesting we shove him up the ladder and have him coaching the secondary, more like an apprenticeship in coaching with someone who's played in the system to pass his knowledge along to the next guy if he has a coaching interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude,

I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old dog and I really hate that thoughts creep in my mind every once in awhile that one day they both won't be here and it's probably within 10 years.  Hate thinking about that.

I think about that with my two parrots - and they could easily both outlive me! Intrusive thoughts wait for no season to be over.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

Send them out with a Super Bowl and let's move on.

They are Bills Legends and will go down as All-Timers, but if I had to guess how this secondary plays out.. Hyde retires, we part ways with Poyer, extend Rasul and Tre restructures to avoid being cut. 

We need to reach an injury settlement with Tre and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you for your service, gents.

Both are/should be gone next year.

I don’t know if it can happen, but I’d prefer to keep one.  Both is a stretch, but if Micah wants to keep playing and they both want to continue to play together- maybe they make it happen for 3M per player.  If take both of them for 6M combined.  

I realize that unlikely- but just based on their friendship and how much they love playing together.  If Micah retires, I’d like to keep JP to spread his knowledge to which young safeties we add this off season.  

their wealth of knowledge is one of the reasons our d has played so well this year

If Hyde retires I'd love him back as a coach. 

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think Po is about cooked.  Hyde, when healthy, is still really good.  As a pair, I’d take them back; however, if Hyde goes, I’m dumping Po too.

Do we re-sign Rapp to start and find another vet or draft a kid in say Round 2 assuming we go WR in Round 1?

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think Po is about cooked.  Hyde, when healthy, is still really good.  As a pair, I’d take them back; however, if Hyde goes, I’m dumping Po too.

The tape shows you exactly the opposite this season. Poyers has been comfortably the better player.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Do we re-sign Rapp to start and find another vet or draft a kid in say Round 2 assuming we go WR in Round 1?

Personally, I don’t want Rapp back as anything more than a back-up, so if he comes back, it changes nothing to me.   I’d look for a solid vet option and be looking to draft somebody that can be a real solution in the 2nd-4th rounds. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The tape shows you exactly the opposite this season. Poyers has been comfortably the better player.

If you say so.  I have a life, so I have not re-watched every game, but watching PO is the same story as it always has been, terrible angles, missed opportunities and a few big hits.  Hyde is still the brains of the operation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:31 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

C’mon, if McD wants to add a Def Coord, we know the odds are he brings in his mentor Rivera

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

and has been playing very well last month or so....probably finally feeling better

On 1/18/2024 at 7:12 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

We need to reach an injury settlement with Tre and move on.

An injury settlement is not necessary. Tre has a $1.5M roster bonus due on 3/17/24. if the Bills decline to pay that, then he becomes a free agent. If Tre can pass a physical their other option is to designate him a 6/1 cut prior to that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:07 PM, Rubes said:

I haven't really paid much attention to Rapp when he's out there, but is he really so bad that he wouldn't be next in line for a starting spot?

Rapp, IMO, has been more than adequate. He needs to have a little better control of his body but he has done the job when asked to. I would be good with Rapp and Poyer next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, nucci said:

and has been playing very well last month or so....probably finally feeling better

If you throw out weeks 1 and 2 when he looked akin to the tin man out there he has had a very solid season. I think the issue for some fans is they are comparing him to the All Pro Po we saw a couple of years back and he isn't that anymore....but he is still a better than average starting safety in this league. 

• Agree 2

On 1/18/2024 at 7:37 AM, NewEra said:

I don’t know if it can happen, but I’d prefer to keep one.  Both is a stretch, but if Micah wants to keep playing and they both want to continue to play together- maybe they make it happen for 3M per player.  If take both of them for 6M combined.  

There is no way Poyer's wife will allow him to take a cut in pay.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

There is no way Poyer's wife will allow him to take a cut in pay.

Well then he’ll get cut and take an even bigger pay cut on the market.  We save 5.5M cutting him

On 1/18/2024 at 8:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

Do we think Micah has looked so bad because his neck is trying to fall off just about every other game this season?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Well then he’ll get cut and take an even bigger pay cut on the market.  We save 5.5M cutting him

We do. But then we have to find two new safeties. How many players that played as well or better than Poyer this year are you signing for that $5.5m? 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:16 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Every time there are two people who often get mentioned together someone is there to say that it sounds like a law firm.  What's with that?

That is because when watching TV every other commercial is for a law firm.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:48 PM, DCofNC said:

The advanced numbers have liked Poyers play more and they also use him as LB regularly. Hyde is hurt so much now with that neck I just can't see him staying.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:56 AM, The Jokeman said:

Dude is sick of upstate weather and NY taxes. He's outtie lol

• Dislike 1

I didn’t want Po back this year … but he has played better than my expectations …

He is not the player he once was … but I think he has done enough to be back next year to see out the last year of his deal.. they are real thin at the position as we all know and they love their “veteran in every position group approach”

I think they spend some draft capital … Beane has never had to invest anything meaningful previously … but I think Rounds 3-4 might be the spot this year ..

Rapp is likely  gone … someone will offer him more than the Bills will pay…( which is not much more than what he is getting now…) Hopefully Beane can find similar in FA this year …

Hyde will be gone … probably for the best with his neck …

Would be great to get him a ring on the way out .. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.