Referees (officials): NFL 2023 divisionals: KC-BUF: Shawn Hochuli (UPDATE: full crews announced)

chongli

[I am at the gym now...I will post more when I get home, but I wanted to get this out now.]

We had Hochuli in Week 12 at Philadelphia.

NFL Capsules for the Divisional Playoff:

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2023 Football Information/Capsules/Divisional Capsules.pdf

[scroll to the bottom]

https://www.footballzebras.com/2024/01/hussey-kemp-vinovich-and-hochuli-are-the-divisional-playoff-referees/

"Shawn Hochuli is the referee, who is in his 10th season and 6th as referee. This is Hochuli’s 8th postseason assignment, including a Wild Card Playoff and 7 Divisional Playoffs."

--------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Full crews announced 🙂

Craig Wrolstadt is alternate Referee for KC-BUF.

Edited by chongli
  • Vomit 18
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Angry 1

• chongli changed the title to Referees (officials) for NFL 2023 divisional round announced: KC-BUF: Shawn Hochuli

I don’t like Hussey or Vinovich either, but yeah Hochuli sometimes calls the game like he’s trying to avenge his father. Wasn’t Ed “muscles” Hochuli the one Jerry Hughes got into it with?

EDIT: Just looked it up. It was in fact Shawn Hochuli and his crew. Rookie season in 2018, game against the Dolphins.

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Both fanbases should be nervous from the draw, the consistent thing about Hochuli is one team is getting *****.

So basically by 9:30 or so Sunday night either the Bills or Chiefs fans will be...

abcb4ed748dea80a3bea7ce18e4524e9.gif

• Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

NFL definitely bringing out the 'big guns' so to speak in this one.

Don't be shocked if/when KC gets all the calls either as much I hate to admit it.

The first thing I thought after seeing this? The NFL wants to make sure KC has the best opportunity to move on so all of the "Swift'ies" will keep bumping up viewership. 

:censored:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

NFL definitely bringing out the 'big guns' so to speak in this one.

Don't be shocked if/when KC gets all the calls either as much I hate to admit it.

Oh, I think you would actually be secretly happy.

You said it might be Brad Rogers, but crews cannot work more than one playoff game as active officials, except for the SB:

Edited by chongli
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, chongli said:

[I am at the gym now...I will post more when I get home, but I wanted to get this out now.]

We had Hochuli in Week 12 at Philadelphia.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2024/01/hussey-kemp-vinovich-and-hochuli-are-the-divisional-playoff-referees/

"Shawn Hochuli is the referee, who is in his 10th season and 6th as referee. This is Hochuli’s 8th postseason assignment, including a Wild Card Playoff and 7 Divisional Playoffs."

He's the worst he hates the Buffalo Bills he kills us every opportunity he gets nearly got Josh Allen killed in the game against Philly through enough Flags to his hands wore out in the first quarter to keep them in the game otherwise we ran away with that game I'm not looking forward to this looks like Patrick Mahomes is going to get the help he was looking for last time we played them that he threw a tantrum over

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

The first thing I thought after seeing this? The NFL wants to make sure KC has the best opportunity to move on so all of the "Swift'ies" will keep bumping up viewership. 

:censored:

This is the biggest reason I'm picking the Chiefs this week quite frankly.

Because deep down I believe the NFL wants the Chiefs in the AFFCG at a minimum.....they need/want a villain and the chiefs are the new patriots for all intents and purposes. And no way they passing up a Mahomes/Lamar or Mahomes/Stroud matchup.

Obviously the Bills can take care of business and play a near flawless game in all 3 phases, but I have no doubt all the calls with favor KC in this one especially if there is any point of the game the Bills can take a 2 score lead.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

He's the worst he hates the Buffalo Bills he kills us every opportunity he gets nearly got Josh Allen killed in the game against Philly through enough Flags to his hands wore out in the first quarter to keep them in the game otherwise we ran away with that game I'm not looking forward to this looks like Patrick Mahomes is going to get the help he was looking for last time we played them that he threw a tantrum over

Jesus Christ man, take a breath!

• Haha (+1) 1

In the NBA back during the David Stern years, they always had a specific ref - Dick Bavetta - work playoff games where a series needed to be extended to make it more competitive and/or a big-market team needed a boost to stay alive or advance.

I have a feeling that a Hochuli would be a big-time company man and oblige such a request if, say, Goodell wanted to ensure that the most famous woman on earth attended the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think there is a conspiracy from the league lol. I just think Hochuli has some personal beef with the Bills, because his officiating of our games in the Allen era has been really bad. This assignment is a serious bummer in a game we didn't need another disadvantage. 

• Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Jesus Christ man, take a breath!

It was talk text I didn't take the time to break it up obviously a bit flabbergasted and frustrated that Eagles game was really painful to watch we should have ran away with that game early on

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Bills had 10 calls against little to none against the Eagles in the first half. The second half, I don’t remember much of if anything called at all. The NFL addressed that crap at halftime, note, we were winning at halftime even with the penalties. 

It’ll be OKAY.

• Like (+1) 1

Shawn screwed us with that missed call in Philly game,which he turned into an intentional grounding penalty. He’s no better or worse than the others. This game is so hard to officiate between the speed and the fact the the league wants a fast paced game which factors in reviews  that are numerous and lengthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

In the NBA back during the David Stern years, they always had a specific ref - Dick Bavetta - work playoff games where a series needed to be extended to make it more competitive and/or a big-market team needed a boost to stay alive or advance.

I have a feeling that a Hochuli would be a big-time company man and oblige such a request if, say, Goodell wanted to ensure that the most famous woman on earth attended the Super Bowl.

I don't want to agree with this, but I admit the possibility. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

Just like his father...Hochuli is over-effficious  - I think the NFL  held him out of the recent Philly-TB playoff game because Phil is undefeated when he and his crew call their games..that Phil- Bills game added to that streak apparently.

That last Blls game that his crew officiated - there was that first -half non-call of a horse-collar sack-tackle on Josh - one of my friends says that says that

horse-collar sack tackle is legal under those conditions, so its a possible exception the normal horse-collar rule...but...how do you consistnelty protect the QB under this rule especially when several other rules exist where it bsically makes touching the QA a foul on the D ?

I believe these playoff ref crews are all-star crews pulled together based on season-long reviews...so the Hoculei crew willitslef  not be working the game which may be the best news of all...

Go bills..get well soon to all our guys who are hurting...mount-up Mafia...and...Lets...Go...Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That is horrible, horrible news. 

KC should be slight favorites now. 

BS fans make too big of a deal over referees.  Just like Chiefs fans who assumed that Carl Cheffers meant they’d lose the SB.

or when the Cowboys were undefeated with the crew that was assigned in Buffalo.   Clearly that means a loss right!?!?

21 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

BS fans make too big of a deal over referees.  Just like Chiefs fans who assumed that Carl Cheffers meant they’d lose the SB.

or when the Cowboys were undefeated with the crew that was assigned in Buffalo.   Clearly that means a loss right!?!?

Disagree, there are some refs who call things certain ways. Seems like when Big Flex calls our games, we magically have killer penalties. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Disagree, there are some refs who call things certain ways. Seems like when Big Flex calls our games, we magically have killer penalties. 

That’s NFL officiating in general. I don’t think the crew is going to decide the game. Fans will complain about anything 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.