Leslie Fraizer Interviewing with Chargers

2 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Would the Bills get comp picks if he is hired?  Not sure if it would count. 

I'm not sure if the Bills would get anything. Depends on if Frazier is still under contract I think.

In any event, I don't see Frazier getting this. Wayyyyy to early in the hiring cycle to think he's got a real shot. Likely this is a Rooney Rule interview or they are going to gage him and see if they hire someone else of he'd be open to a possible DC spot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Chargers HC is a toxic job recent rub of HCs have been failures.

As any of us long time Bills fans can tell them, it all starts and ends with ownership. Chargers will be stuck in this cycle for a while.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

As any of us long time Bills fans can tell them, it all starts and ends with ownership. Chargers will be stuck in this cycle for a while.

Agreed.

Tell you a team destined for continued mediocrity, Tennesse Titans.  As bad as Bud Addams was (a la Ralph Wilson at the end) his dughter is even more inept, firing Mike Vrable who will be picked up in a nano-second.  Followed closely behind are the Carolina Panthers and NY Jets.  Somehow the Browns have yet to blow up this year.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed.

Tell you a team destined for continued mediocrity, Tennesse Titans.  As bad as Bud Addams was (a la Ralph Wilson at the end) his dughter is even more inept, firing Mike Vrable who will be picked up in a nano-second.  Followed closely behind are the Carolina Panthers and NY Jets.  Somehow the Browns have yet to blow up this year.

I also enjoy that apparently she could have traded Vrabel but chose not to because it would "take too long" and they'd miss out on their first choice for HC.  As if any of the best HC candidates are attracted to the Titans' current batch of non-assets.  

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm not sure if the Bills would get anything. Depends on if Frazier is still under contract I think.

In any event, I don't see Frazier getting this. Wayyyyy to early in the hiring cycle to think he's got a real shot. Likely this is a Rooney Rule interview or they are going to gage him and see if they hire someone else of he'd be open to a possible DC spot.

They have already interviewed minorities so not needed for Rooney Rule.

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I have to imagine with one of the last things on his resume being 13 seconds, Chargers fans would be thrilled after Staley.

13 seconds is being treated as original sin for all defense coaches and head coach.

Some who have never sinned will never forgive them, 

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed.

He has not been hired.  Maybe you meant light-second?

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

They have already interviewed minorities so not needed for Rooney Rule.

But it is.

Teams are savvy these days. There's the bare minimum written Rooney Rule and then the unwritten stuff teams have to do the makes it appear they weren't just interviewing for the quota. They almost have to "over interview" minority candidates so it doesn't look like the ones they interview are simply Rooney Rulers. Also, it helps narrow down a minority candidate to give a 2nd interview to. Can't have all Caucasian finalists for the job or it wasn't a "real search". That's why as soon as requests for interviews start happening you see a TON of minority coaches requested. 

Interesting enough, ESPN recently had a segment on this and there were 2 notable people speaking about it happening. One of those people? Leslie Frazier.

I don't expect Leslie to get hired as a HC this cycle. If he is willing to be a DC again next year he will get a job at that level. But there are almost always guys less capable than Leslie hired as Head Coaches. Brandon Staley was one of them. Chargers gonna Charger. 

At this point I really am starting to feel bad for the guy. I mean, why subject yourself to this process yet again, when you know you don't fit the profile of what everyone is looking for (next young "it" offensive wunderkind guy from the McVay/Shanahan/Reid trees and/or college)? You've made enough money in theory being around this league forever, and what's wrong with a little laurel resting amongst the rolling golf course hills in [insert name of warm/sunny locale here]? He's in for more disappointment, imho.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At this point I really am starting to feel bad for the guy. I mean, why subject yourself to this process yet again, when you know you don't fit the profile of what everyone is looking for (next young "it" offensive wunderkind guy from the McVay/Shanahan/Reid trees and/or college)? You've made enough money in theory being around this league forever, and what's wrong with a little laurel resting amongst the rolling golf course hills in [insert name of warm/sunny locale here]? He's in for more disappointment, imho.   

It’s all he knows. He can’t quit it. I can’t fault him for not giving up on the dream to be a HC again. Good luck, Leslie!

• Like (+1) 1

No NFL team is going to hire a 65-year-old retread coach to rehabilitate their program. 

Gee, I thought Frazier was just taking the year off to rest. Isn’t his DC job with Buffalo still there? 😏

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't expect Leslie to get hired as a HC this cycle. If he is willing to be a DC again next year he will get a job at that level. But there are almost always guys less capable than Leslie hired as Head Coaches. Brandon Staley was one of them. Chargers gonna Charger. 

I'd say he has an outside shot at one job. Carolina. Much the way we saw teams pass on the Cleveland job years back that led to Mike Pettine as a HC, enough people could not want to hitch their wagon to the Tepper cart to make it happen.

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I have to imagine with one of the last things on his resume being 13 seconds, Chargers fans would be thrilled after Staley.

First, I don't think he gets this job. 

But I do think there is some credence to a Fraizer-esque hire. The org needs some stability and they need to start stringing together some 10 plus win seasons. With Herbert they will want to make a trendy and booming hire. I get it. But Herbert is about to enter the 5th year of his career. but if Ben Johnson flops like some of their other hires they are toast. 3 x 10-7 seasons from a Fraizer-like hire, and then promote/get somebody else to get them over the top isn't the worst idea ever. 

I am a huge proponent that Gailey/Nix/Whaley were big parts of getting this team back on track. The Levy/Russ Brandon GM era's were an embarrassment. 

The big question around some of the conservative/defensive hires will revolve around who their plan is at OC. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

No NFL team is going to hire a 65-year-old retread coach to rehabilitate their program. 

Gee, I thought Frazier was just taking the year off to rest. Isn’t his DC job with Buffalo still there? 😏

You don’t think he can help Herbert get over the hump? 😎

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

But I do think there is some credence to a Fraizer-esque hire. The org needs some stability and they need to start stringing together some 10 plus win seasons. With Herbert they will want to make a trendy and booming hire. I get it. But Herbert is about to enter the 5th year of his career. but if Ben Johnson flops like some of their other hires they are toast. 3 x 10-7 seasons from a Fraizer-like hire, and then promote/get somebody else to get them over the top isn't the worst idea ever. 

I am a huge proponent that Gailey/Nix/Whaley were big parts of getting this team back on track. The Levy/Russ Brandon GM era's were an embarrassment. 

The big question around some of the conservative/defensive hires will revolve around who their plan is at OC. 

Ben Johnson? What about Harbaugh? 

It would be hard to have a drastically worse hire for a team with Super Bowl aspirations than Leslie Frazier. You know with absolute certainty that the guy won't get you there.

For a disaster organization just looking to get respectable? Maybe.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You don’t think he can help Herbert get over the hump? 😎

Ben Johnson? What about Harbaugh? 

Sorry I didn't break down all the options for you/LAC. Christ

I was just talking about some of the benefits of a Frazier hire compared to a trendy OC hire and the risk/reward. Certainly Harbaugh is likely a safe option as well. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sorry I didn't break down all the options for you/LAC. Christ

I was just talking about some of the benefits of a Frazier hire compared to a trendy OC hire and the risk/reward. Certainly Harbaugh is likely a safe option as well. 

Would you want Frazier as the Bills HC ?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think he might get a job as a caretaker HC if the team has an offensive mind who they believe needs some seasoning as OC for a few years before becoming HC.

OC would be promised HC contract in specified period of time and complete control of the offense.

The problem with this is Rooney Rule if the offensive mind is not a minority.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Likely this is a Rooney Rule interview 

Rooney Rule turns all the black assistant coaches into racial tokens.  Happened with Anthony Lynn every season too.

They should be the first one to oppose this.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Gailey/Nix/Whaley were horrible.  I don't get the love for 33% Gailey.  I'll never forget the time Chan punted from the opponent's 34 yard line. 

Nix hit on a draft choice every now & made the great Jerry Hughes trade, but then was responsible for drafting EJ Manuel in the 1st round.  Whaley had bad drafts, not one player in any of his 3 drafts (2014-16, I don't include the McDermott draft of 2017) got a 2nd contract.  Whaley also doubled down with the bad trade to move up for Watkins.  Take a look at the Whaley drafts-disgraceful!  

The only part of them getting this team back on track was failing miserably in enough time to get shown the door before the 2018 draft.  Those clowns would have probably drafted Josh Rosen.  

2 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Rooney Rule turns all the black assistant coaches into racial tokens.  Happened with Anthony Lynn every season too.

They should be the first one to oppose this.

Bad example.  Anthony Lynn got the Chargers job in 2017.  I remember in 2017 there was talk of the Bills hiring Lynn as HC & I was totally against anyone who came here with Rex Ryan getting the job.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would you want Frazier as the Bills HC ?

I don't know what you are arguing with me about.

Ben Johnson v. Harbaugh? I even pointed out in my response that I did not go through every possibility for the Chargers and Harbaugh was a better option. 

Now it is "would you hire Frazier?" Dude. I am not saying any of those things, you are showing up to be combative about a topic I am not even standing behind.  I was just pointing out some pro's of making a conservative hire for a franchise that is flailing with a could be franchise QB in the wings.  I even started my entire post with "I don't think he will get the job". 

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think he might get a job as a caretaker HC if the team has an offensive mind who they believe needs some seasoning as OC for a few years before becoming HC.

OC would be promised HC contract in specified period of time and complete control of the offense.

The problem with this is Rooney Rule if the offensive mind is not a minority.

That was my thought. You were a bit more succinct. I also think the Chargers could fit that mold. Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Gailey/Nix/Whaley were horrible.  I don't get the love for 33% Gailey.  I'll never forget the time Chan punted from the opponent's 34 yard line. 

Nix hit on a draft choice every now & made the great Jerry Hughes trade, but then was responsible for drafting EJ Manuel in the 1st round.  Whaley had bad drafts, not one player in any of his 3 drafts (2014-16, I don't include the McDermott draft of 2017) got a 2nd contract.  Whaley also doubled down with the bad trade to move up for Watkins.  Take a look at the Whaley drafts-disgraceful!  

The only part of them getting this team back on track was failing miserably in enough time to get shown the door before the 2018 draft.  Those clowns would have probably drafted Josh Rosen.  

Bad example.  Anthony Lynn got the Chargers job in 2017.  I remember in 2017 there was talk of the Bills hiring Lynn as HC & I was totally against anyone who came here with Rex Ryan getting the job.  

I think Gailey and Nix were both respected as a quality offensive coach and player evaluator. I totally agree they weren't good, but getting real life football people in the door was a necessary intermediate step. 

The Sabres will likely have to take a similar interim step. The Kevyn Adams hire smells a lot like Russ Brandon as GM of the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't know what you are arguing with me about.

Ben Johnson v. Harbaugh? I even pointed out in my response that I did not go through every possibility for the Chargers and Harbaugh was a better option. 

Now it is "would you hire Frazier?" Dude. I am not saying any of those things, you are showing up to be combative about a topic I am not even standing behind.  I was just pointing out some pro's of making a conservative hire for a franchise that is flailing with a could be franchise QB in the wings.  I even started my entire post with "I don't think he will get the job". 

Dude… calm down…

I have asked you two questions … why are you saying that is “being combative” or “ arguing”…

I assume you want to engage in a dialogue here … hence the reason you are posting ..I was just trying to understand more information for what you have posted …

I asked about Harbaugh because this is the main candidate being connected with  the Chargers so far in this process … not Ben Johnson …

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed.

The Browns would have struggled to 6 wins if Watson stayed healthy 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed.

I'd put the Panthers #1.  He's already has a pretty good history.  In Tenn isn't this only the first fire/hire?

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As long as the top answer to "How do you keep Ed Oliver under 5 sacks a year" is having Leslie Frazier coach his D, the challenges for Leslie would seem far too steep for even boneheads like the Spanos family to seriously consider hiring him.

He will not get that job. I could see him becoming the DC for the Giants. 

To me, Frazier's only shot is a franchise that is bottoming out and needs someone to coach them through a rebuild. Maybe the Titans if they go full rebuild. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The Browns would have struggled to 6 wins if Watson stayed healthy 

Think you are right.  I think Watson has lost his edge and may never get it back.

D Watson trade should go down as one of the worst in NFL history.

BUT you have to give them all the credit for getting Flacco, now they have a reasonable shot at making a playoff run.

Hope for his sake he does not get the Job. 

Looks likes one of the worst landing spot atm.  - So over cap. so many issues. so many old over paid players. 

Gonna be some pain in this org before it gets better. 

They need to CUT Bosa and WIlliams lol 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.