Defensive coordinator option

M. Wrotto

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Mike Vrabel will be a Head Coach within weeks.

Exactly and if McD wants to stay DC, he should.  D was dominant before the injuries,  had a rough patch and been dominant again. Love how fast , aggressive and in sync they play compared to under Frazier 

• Agree 6

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Don’t see him doing that. He’s a HC and either Chargers or Pats if BB is out. 

I definitely think he is going to be a HC someplace but, if we wanted to join his buddies up north, I could see that being the only way he would be a DC.

NE is gonna have a problem on their hands if they bring in Vrabel or McDaniels. BOB is there and eventually someone is gonna have to take over and someone else might feel slighted about being passed over. I think BB stays another year though

9 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I’d be shocked if Vrabel took a DC job. He’ll prob get one of these open gigs. 

Easily. Actually shocked if he doesn't end up working for RubnTug Robert Kraft

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

And McDermy will continue as DC. He likes doing it and the D is better. 

If I'm Terry then I'm asking him why I'm paying Head Coach wages for a DC and a rudderless team.

6 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

My guess is that next years DC is already here and it is not McD.

Hoping for Babich if we stay in house.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's probably a good bet for their HC job.

I think there could be a scenario where Bill still finishes his career in NE with a real heir apparent already on staff.  In that world BB only leaves when it is time to retire.  

14 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Don’t see him doing that. He’s a HC and either Chargers or Pats if BB is out. 

Pats don't have a QB and he will not make the same mistake of not having a franchise QB.  He could be hell of a coach for the Chargers with Herbert and a great defense.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Eric Washington coaches the DLine and is the Assistant Head Coach, right? That seems like the most likely scenario for DC to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Terry then I'm asking him why I'm paying Head Coach wages for a DC and a rudderless team.

I was not a fan of him doing both jobs and at mid-season I was firmly, he gives up DC or you fire him at the end of the season. But he did appear to find a better balance down the stretch and I don't think the team looked as rudderless. A really good journo would find a way to ask a question at the end of season presser, whenever that comes, as to what changes he made to the way he combined the duties as the season went on and ask it in a way that elicits an answer from Sean. But I am noy holding out much hope from our lot.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You think they go Vrabel over OBrien who is already there and they need him for their new QB?

Yes

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Pats don't have a QB and he will not make the same mistake of not having a franchise QB.  He could be hell of a coach for the Chargers with Herbert and a great defense.

Or maybe Harbaugh gets to the Chargers first …. Vrabel ain’t beating him out 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I was not a fan of him doing both jobs and at mid-season I was firmly, he gives up DC or you fire him at the end of the season. But he did appear to find a better balance down the stretch and I don't think the team looked as rudderless. A really good journo would find a way to ask a question at the end of season presser, whenever that comes, as to what changes he made to the way he combined the duties as the season went on and ask it in a way that elicits an answer from Sean. But I am noy holding out much hope from our lot.

It did seem to rather conveniently happen right around the time Dorsey got shown the door. I said it at the time but taking on both duties and having an OC that didn't know what he was doing put too much strain on him. With Brady besides the timeout to have Allen run it on 3rd and 1, seems to have been able to focus more on the defense and the game as a whole. Or at least that's what it seems.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think there could be a scenario where Bill still finishes his career in NE with a real heir apparent already on staff.  In that world BB only leaves when it is time to retire.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes

Jerod Mayo is the name I've been hearing as next-in-line.  Vrabel could make it interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hoping for Babich if we stay in house.

Bit confused. The D has been strong considering the injuries. The team has won 5 in a row so the timing is odd. I wanted him gone after 13 seconds. But I think it’s a 99% chance he’s back and will be the DC. 

26 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

If the Bills lose to Pittsburgh that’s possible. Otherwise not happening. 

36 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I’d be shocked if Vrabel took a DC job. He’ll prob get one of these open gigs. 

Only place I could see it is NE where they let Bill get the wins record and then Vrabel is promised the gig. Outside of Harbaugh, he becomes the top candidate out there for any HC job he wants

Edited by Malazan

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Bit confused. The D has been strong considering the injuries. The team has won 5 in a row so the timing is odd. I wanted him gone after 13 seconds. But I think it’s a 99% chance he’s back and will be the DC. 

Oh he'll be back. And he's been a great DC. But this experiment needs to be over.

Be a Head Coach and show some love to the Offense and Special Teams so all three units show up ready to play instead of just the Defense. Or take the demotion to DC and let Terry bring in a true HC (which I obviously dont see happening).

41 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

And McDermy will continue as DC. He likes doing it and the D is better. 

Holy cow...did the Buffalo Bills defense just make the #1 offense in the NFL punt 5 times in a row in the 4th quarter with the game on the line? Then intercept that top QB who was at one time being talked about as MVP?

Someone tell me...who would be better than MCD?

Kind of a good thing that posters here have no say in anything or McD would have been fired about 20 times this season.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes

Yeah he's really turned it around.   I was cautiously optimistic when I heard he was going to call his own defense because I had wondered if being more of a hands-off delegating.....then just periodically intercede.... HC was right for his intense personality.    But in the first half it looked like the coordinating and the other decision making were too much for him to balance.    But some people work better in more intense situations like that creates.   The recent results would seem to indicate that perhaps we are finally getting all of what was promised from him as a defensive-minded hire.  

57 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

We might want to bring Vrable in as our DC. This can pull some of the responsibility off McDermott to focus on Head coaching duties 

Teams will be lining up for Vrabel for their HC vacancy. Sean is thriving as his own DC. The way our defense finished the season why change anything.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Leslie back in the building after his “time off”?

His “time off” has really only just begun…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Teams will be lining up for Vrabel for their HC vacancy. Sean is thriving as his own DC. The way our defense finished the season why change anything.

Maybe.  The NFL is weird sometimes and despite Vrabel's success teams will still gamble for a home run hire over a retread.  Atlanta wants an offensive minded coach and is likely already locked in on who their first choices are. Chargers will probably be in same boat after taking a shot on a young DC.  Washington is going to probably take a look at an entire top to bottom housecleaning that doesnt seem like a good fit. The Raiders might be the best fit but I think Pierce might be the guy. The Panthers want someone who can work with Bryce Young. I dont think its a slam dunk he gets a HC gig. 

33 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Only place I could see it is NE where they let Bill get the wins record and then Vrabel is promised the gig. Outside of Harbaugh, he becomes the top candidate out there for any HC job he wants

I don’t know if I’d go that far. Everyone right now wants an offensive coach. I do think Vrabel will get an offer but I don’t think he has his pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.