Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

7 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They've had TNF on prime for a couple of years - why is it different for peacock to buy a game?  

ESPN and NFL network are in far fewer houses - so people needed to buy a streaming service to watch those too.  

A) it’s a full season not a one (two) off game 

B) there’s a massive contingency that already have Amazon 

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes it is interesting rules are different.

Yes, only the primary markets get to see the OTA games from ESPN, Amazon, Peacock, etc., but the old blackout rules for not selling out includes any DMA within 75 miles of the stadium that was capable of getting the OTA reception. So Rochester, Syracuse, and Erie were included, The remaining blackout rule for having more than 4 games at home on the SH network only apply to rhe Buffalo DMA though.

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see putting it on Peacock being that much different than putting it on ESPN. You have to pay for cable to get ESPN so either way it is behind a paywall? I generally agree the NFL should avoid putting a second paywall for playoff games its not in their best interest but if games are on cable why not a streaming service?

I brought this up last year when the Sunday Ticket went to YouTube, but for both Peacock and YT (and any streaming service), you should figure in the cost of your internet service too, as you MUST have a decent ISP BEFORE you do any of these streaming services. And yes, you can say that *most* people nowadays have decent internet service at home, but maybe you can say that anybody with cable or sat dish tv service will have ESPN included in their basic package.

I guess I just wonder why if they're gonna stream a football game, why not do it on a more popular platform? I know, whoever pays the most right? Still just seems like there's a better way to do it on a streaming platform 

• Agree 1

40M watched wk 18 game NBC
3M watched wk 16 game Peacock

there are not 40M Bills/Fins fans. 

400M have Prime, different than peacock!!

You want tens of millions non-fans to watch your product/ads. That won’t happen if NFL fracks out games to 12 stream services. Bad for NFL business long term

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's five dollars.

$5

I can see it being the "ultimate slap in the face" if it were $99.99 PPV, but we are talking about five dollars...

$5

I hate this argument.

It's a slippery slope, and this type of attitude portends more and more of this; with the NFL having no monetary backlash.

The ONLY way to stop this from getting worse and worse is to stop paying the fees for these money grabs. We can't stop the NFL.... But we can stop peacock from making back it's 110 million they paid to get the game, then these services will not want to do these exclusives any more.

This one should be easy to avoid. KC/phins I'll just check the score at the end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s not enough that we subsidize their billion dollar stadiums with our tax dollars:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/22/taxpayers-are-paying-billions-for-nfl-stadiums-heres-how.html#:~:text=The reason cities end up,teams to pay for stadiums.

Would love to hear the people responsible for this explain how it’s fair to any taxpayer.  Because this is only the beginning.

it’s annoying but the outrage is kinda bizarre.  I have much less problem with putting a playoff game on peacock than adding a 17th game when injuries pile up in a 16 game schedule or making these guys fly to london and germany to play a regular season game.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I'm a senior citizen.  Don't worry about me, I'll be watching.

Youre one person. As I mentioned above, there are a lot of people in the older demographic that are not exactly tech saavy. And you have to be pretty tech saavy to get these services up and running in your home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

Youre one person. As I mentioned above, there are a lot of people in the older demographic that are not exactly tech saavy. And you have to be pretty tech saavy to get these services up and running in your home.

Get off my lawn! :P

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

it’s annoying but the outrage is kinda bizarre.  I have much less problem with putting a playoff game on peacock than adding a 17th game when injuries pile up in a 16 game schedule or making these guys fly to london and germany to play a regular season game.  

Yep, if you think the NFL doesn't care about its fans, just take a look at how it really doesn't give a rat's ass about the players. In addition to the examples above, playing every week on Thursdays is outrageous. 4 day turnarounds are brutal on players, not to mention the crappy play it produces. I'll always follow the Bills, but if they aren't playing I really couldn't care less about the NFL.

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:59 PM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I actually like the streaming movement at first. It was when they were putting full seasons of old shows, or new shows with ads out. The problem now is that the model works when it can aggregate content. Now, every single media company wants their own and claims first dibs on those rights making it less user friendly cable.

I understood the attraction back when it first started.   But knew it was always a lesser product.   You could only get some of the

shows and sports…forget it.   This regional BS they enforce….zero ability to push back that you didn’t live in the “drop zone”.   Didn’t matter.  You got the shaft.  

The other sad thing is that it’s impacted the quality of programs too.   Too many networks and streaming companies trying to put shows out.  It has diluted the product.   

So basically I curse the “cut the cord” movement and the sheep that bought into it.   I pay basically the same I always did, get less access to the sports I want and less included content as well as a complete lack of ease of navigation/search.   Damn it all to hell and back!   Hahaha.   First world problems baby.   

27 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

The other sad thing is that it’s impacted the quality of programs too.   Too many networks and streaming companies trying to put shows out.  It has diluted the product.   

Saw an article today that Netflix produced 130 less shows last year than previous years.  I have a hard enough time following about 20 shows, hard to imagine even having time to consider watching over 100.  

When Peacock aired Bills/Chargers someone mentioned (from Rochester I believe?) that they were able to watch the Amazon games on the Barrie station with a digital antenna. It's looking like this game with be on CFTO Toronto (CTV) which is closer and probably has a stronger signal.

13 hours ago, RkFast said:

hell, I’m 36 and have trouble keeping up with technology sometimes! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

I guess I just wonder why if they're gonna stream a football game, why not do it on a more popular platform? I know, whoever pays the most right? Still just seems like there's a better way to do it on a streaming platform 

Peacock outbid all the other networks, including amazon, presumably, for the rights to the playoff game. My ballpark estimate of viewership on the Peacock game is 10 million. The last two years, that slot did 20 million (JAX-LAC) and 25 million (BUF-NE). MIA-KC would do better than 25 million with the right game quality. Maybe more. They are leaving a lot of viewers on the table. Regardless, the NFL is the winner as they cashed a huge check. This was an experiment, and if the numbers are low, as expected, do not expect Peacock to try again.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

"Lesser" streaming platforms are using the games to springboard their low membership base. If this is successful, you can be certain that other platforms like Paramount Plus, Fubo, Starz, etc, will be lining up next year to do the same. That's the inherent problem here, not paying $6. And before anyone says that can't happen, don't underestimate the NFL's seemingly limitless greed. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

"Lesser" streaming platforms are using the games to springboard their low membership base. If this is successful, you can be certain that other platforms like Paramount Plus, Fubo, Starz, etc, will be lining up next year to do the same. That's the inherent problem here, not paying $6. And before anyone says that can't happen, don't underestimate the NFL's seemingly limitless greed. 

For sure, the NFL would exclusively broadcast their games on closed circuit tv if someone ponied up enough cash.

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:56 AM, chongli said:

Another reason the NFL chose the KC game for Peacock is Swifties skew young, you they know how to stream.

Plus, those who choose not to pay to watch this game can still get their fill of Mahomes and Maauto thru the endless stream of f'ing State Farm and Campbell's Chunky Soup commercials during all of the other games. Win-win for 'Robber' Goodell. :devil:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:34 PM, FilthyBeast said:

It's definitely stupid and agree 100%

I could get if it was amazon exclusive like the TNF games because that's at least a mainstream service but this peacock stuff makes no sense other than a blatant money grab by the NFL and NBC networks.

This is how they become mainstream services.

All the historically big networks now have streaming partners. 
I believe it’s their answer to fight DVR commercial ad skipping. I love being able to record shows with DVR and FF through ads. Streaming forces us back to pre VCR days when we had no choice but to be brainwashed by Madison Ave. every 10 minutes. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, FilthyBeast said:

It's definitely stupid and agree 100%

I could get if it was amazon exclusive like the TNF games because that's at least a mainstream service but this peacock stuff makes no sense other than a blatant money grab by the NFL and NBC networks.

NBC will most likely end up losing money since the amount of subscribers they get (probably many for just a month or two) will not justify the huge check they cut the NFL to get the exclusive rights to this game. Now the NFL, on the other hand, was more than happy to cash the check.

Yes, the NFL are masters of generating revenue from rabid fans and gamblers like us.  
Before we vilify the greedy NFL, let’s stop to remember the benefits of all this greed and technology. 

There was a time when we could only read a recap or check the box score in the next day’s newspaper.  Yes kids, in my adult lifetime there was once no internet.  We were limited to whatever games were being shown on local television.  There was no replay on the NFL Network. If we missed it, we might see highlights on a sports show. 

If you relocated away from your hometown team (as I did in the mid ‘80’s), you had few opportunities to watch your favorite team. I used to check the TV listings as soon as they were published with hope that the Bills were being shown in the Atlanta market. Sadly, they often weren’t, especially during the lean years when Kelly first arrived. 
So, for all the whining about Peacock, steaming, greed, etc., be thankful that there are reasonably easy and accessible ways to watch every game of your favorite team.  The dark ages of minimal access are in the rear view mirror. Yes, you might have to lay out a few bucks. Whaaaa!!!  Quit expecting something for nothing!
You still have the choice to go back to watching whatever is being broadcast on your local stations over the air.  At least you can come here and those of us who gave into the NFL’s greed can tell you all about the game. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Saw an article today that Netflix produced 130 less shows last year than previous years.  I have a hard enough time following about 20 shows, hard to imagine even having time to consider watching over 100.  

Oh my goodness is that true!   130 LESS?!?!   Wow.   And that’s only one streaming service.    I can’t imagine what the total number of shows produced annually is.    That’s incredible. 

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The NFLN will replay this game once it is over on Peacock. I will avoid any score updates and watch it then like it was live. 

Did same thing when Bills were on PeaC0ck. 

Took a nap when game was on, woke up at 11:30 PM and turned channel to NFL Network when it was supposed to start. 

Game was delayed due to some NFL Network show so I muted TV and occasionally glanced at TV until game was on.

Likely next year team bidding for game will want rebroadcast rights as well for at least a week,

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2024 at 11:49 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Greedy is putting it lightly. Unbelievable that they're going to make people pay to watch a football game.

I can remember back when HBO started to become a thing and they started charging to watch boxing matches.

You could watch the same fighters on ABC every Saturday but you know, GREED.

NFL's no different.   

Between the refs and this new thing they call streaming for cash I'm really beginning to hate the NFL with a passion.

Not to mention the constantly promotion of gambling and over commercialization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

The NFLN will replay this game once it is over on Peacock. I will avoid any score updates and watch it then like it was live. 

I am not 100% sure about this, but NFLN may have a score bug at the bottom of the screen during the replay of the game with news, including the final score of the MIA-KC game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, chongli said:

I am not 100% sure about this, but NFLN may have a score bug at the bottom of the screen during the replay of the game with news, including the final score of the MIA-KC game.

You are right I forgot about that. I will have to try to avoid that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Oh my goodness is that true!   130 LESS?!?!   Wow.   And that’s only one streaming service.    I can’t imagine what the total number of shows produced annually is.    That’s incredible. 

There is SO much stuff (good, bad, and in between) that I dont think human has enough time in their lives to watch everything that comes out.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I didn't realize the Peacock feed was this bad:

When the WWE Network got moved to Peacock, it also sucked. The WWE Network when it was on its own was pretty intuitive and smooth. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

You are right I forgot about that. I will have to try to avoid that. 

Looks like NFL Network is replaying the Saturday games in order late Saturday night, so the Peacock game is on at 3 AM ET, unlike how they played the Peacock game first on the reglar season Saturday.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.