Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

Greedy is putting it lightly. Unbelievable that they're going to make people pay to watch a football game.

I can remember back when HBO started to become a thing and they started charging to watch boxing matches.

You could watch the same fighters on ABC every Saturday but you know, GREED.

NFL's no different.   

Between the refs and this new thing they call streaming for cash I'm really beginning to hate the NFL with a passion.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched just to see if he fell asleep during the broadcast.  

also he is spot on.  No one should be surprised.  The nfl hates their fans.  

NFL fans should have refused to pay for PSL's (The worst thing to ever happen to fans) but they didn't.  They all get bought up (50% by brokers and businesses who then sell them for profit) and ruin the home atmospheres.

The nfl long gave up caring about their fans.  Now they blatantly want the young fans money.  They are gearing everything towards young people who want to watch on their phone and wont blink on signing up for peacock.  While at the same time the boomers who have been watching the nfl for 65 years and helped make it what it is will mostly be shut out of the game.

Its the future and it is going to keep trending that way.  It wont be too long before there are 10 or more games on an exclusive pay to see basis.....while they broadcast games live from argentina, saudi arabia, paris or wherever.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He is not wrong here. It is a shame that many football fans will not be able to watch the game. All playoff games should be on CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, ESPN.

Agree but not ESPN solo.  The committee that controls ability for NFL to have a limited monopoly should look at the streaming only.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Agree but not ESPN solo.  The committee that controls ability for NFL to have a limited monopoly should look at the streaming only.

They've had TNF on prime for a couple of years - why is it different for peacock to buy a game?  

ESPN and NFL network are in far fewer houses - so people needed to buy a streaming service to watch those too.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

Here is the counter-argument the NFL would use in support of paid streaming games:

The difference between the past, when all games were OTA and free is they've added games on TV over the years so there didn't used-to-be:

kickoff game 
TNF almost every week
MNF double-headers some weeks
17 games

a bye week, so more games can be watched
many international games

Thanksgiving evening game
Black Friday game
Christmas games some years
this many Saturday games
14 playoff teams which created this extra game

Compare the number of TV games to even just 10 years ago, never mind going further back.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Actually quite despicably scrupulous. Pretty shameful IMO. 

People’s sport… you’ve made money from them all year long. They are your profits. Give back something as a token of gratitude. 

Better yet, if they want to make money pool it from the NFL funds not your consumers. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 3

Everyone should be saying the same thing!   Absolutely brutal.  

Whoever started this whole streaming/cut the cord movement should be drawn and quartered.    I have never spent more money and had less ease of use or access to things I have wanted to see than the way things are right now.    

I miss the good ole days!  Hah

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Real McClappy said:

Agreed 100% especially playoff games.

NFL Idiots wonder why Millions of people illegal stream games.

I dont even understand why they care if people use streams.  I watch the commercials either way.  Yeah ratings might be down but im just as likely to see an ad and buy a product.  I assume that helps them set what they can sell the commercial time for.  

• Agree 1

the NFL got $110 million just for this one Peacock game. Roughly 1/9 of a billion dollars to stream 3 hours of content one time. That's incredible. 

There will be more exclusives next season, but luckily there's only so many choices as the broadcast partners are locked in. There will be more Peacock exclusives (many 2 regular season and 1 playoff) and probably an ESPN+

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.