Bills at Dolphins post game thread

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Logic said:

It ultimately doesn't matter because the Bills won, but I just want to say for the record...

The refs were absolutely awful last night. They seemed intent on screwing the Bills at every turn.

The Knox PI no-call that likely cost us 7. The targeting/helmet-to-helmet against Johnson that may also have cost us 7. The holding no-call on the Achange TD run. Some of the 4th quarter ball spots.

Just an all-around atrocious effort by the officials -- again -- in a season chock full of them.

The stopping the game to see if Kincaid stepped out of bounds giving the Dolphins D essentially a timeout and a breather. When either way it would have been 2nd and 9 and 1/2 or 2nd and 10 with the clock stopped.

• Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, BRH said:

I can't quite remember, but wasn't that the first play inside the 2-minute warning?  Coaches can't challenge after that.  I agree it was a horrible spot, and I think it's exactly what the league wanted:  to create drama in the last two minutes.

I believe it was inside the final 2:00. Spot challenges are notoriously difficult to win, and Josh failed to extend the ball at the end of the run. It wasn’t really in doubt , as much as us Bills fans would have liked a more favorable spot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I still do think that the team scheme needs a #1 CB, to hold steady, but I think Douglas can be that for a few more years.

As you said, guys who don't have elite measurables, one on one burst (and get away with DPI) drop or don't get major contacts. I think we can fill up the back end for some time to come.

I do think Douglas will be here for the rest of his career. He just screams "Process" and "long term team leader" for the Buffalo Bills.

That said, I actually happen to think Benford is becoming a bona fide NFL CB1. That's not just my opinion, either. He seems to be near the top of many "least separation allowed" charts, PFF rankings, and other analytical measures of success. I happen to think that between Douglas and Benford, the Bills have TWO CB1s. Dane Jackson is about as good as it gets for a depth corner, as well.

If only Kaiir Elam can rebound and be a productive player himself...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

It ultimately doesn't matter because the Bills won, but I just want to say for the record...

The refs were absolutely awful last night. They seemed intent on screwing the Bills at every turn.

The Knox PI no-call that likely cost us 7. The targeting/helmet-to-helmet against Johnson that may also have cost us 7. The holding no-call on the Achange TD run. Some of the 4th quarter ball spots.

Just an all-around atrocious effort by the officials -- again -- in a season chock full of them.

I'm telling y'all, the NFL refs right now are exactly like my dog running around a croquet course, randomly picking up the ball and moving it somewhere else and it's not allowed to complain - because she's the 'Course Hazard'.

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Levi Wallace. Dane Jackson. Christian Benford.

Getting an 6th, 7th and USDA to be a #2CB/spot #1 could be lucky if it happens once. Three times? It has to be partially coaching/scheme

Partially coaching. Partially "we have no one else to play those spots because someone retired at halftime".

We're 3/10 (or 4/11 couting Taron). Is 30% success a great development rate? What about when adding in the failure to develop 1st round pick Elam?

I'm not out to knock McD. I would never say he does a BAD job with DBs or the Defense. It's definitely his strong spot. I'm just not certain we are running some magical DB training facility like a lot of us have been thinking.

All those guys through our system over 6 years, and as Poyer and Hyde age out, there is no one ready to step up and take their spots. We're going to re-sign Rapp and probably some other vet FA.

Just something small to chew on.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I do think Douglas will be here for the rest of his career. He just screams "Process" and "long term team leader" for the Buffalo Bills.

That said, I actually happen to think Benford is becoming a bona fide NFL CB1. That's not just my opinion, either. He seems to be near the top of many "least separation allowed" charts, PFF rankings, and other analytical measures of success. I happen to think that between Douglas and Benford, the Bills have TWO CB1s. Dane Jackson is about as good as it gets for a depth corner, as well.

If only Kaiir Elam can rebound and be a productive player himself...

I don’t know about two CB1s, but you’re in to something with Benford.  He’s a stud.  

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Partially coaching. Partially "we have no one else to play those spots because someone retired at halftime".

We're 3/10 (or 4/11 couting Taron). Is 30% success a great development rate? What about when adding in the failure to develop 1st round pick Elam?

I'm not out to knock McD. I would never say he does a BAD job with DBs or the Defense. It's definitely his strong spot. I'm just not certain we are running some magical DB training facility like a lot of us have been thinking.

All those guys through our system over 6 years, and as Poyer and Hyde age out, there is no one ready to step up and take their spots. We're going to re-sign Rapp and probably some other vet FA.

Just something small to chew on.

You mean we haven't replaced the two really good starting safeties arbitrarily with rookies we've drafted? Weird. Hell Douglass seems like a great fit at safety as he gets ages out of CB and weirdly enough Rapp is finally looking for the ball.

12 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I agree with this statement.  Lazy route running causes a lot of interceptions.  Looks like it caused the game winner tonight.

I agree with this 100%. If Hill hadn’t gotten hurt and he is running that route instead of scrub Claypool, that ball is probably right where it needed to be. It’s easy to pin that on Tua, but I think that’s a good example of a terrible WR route.

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You mean we haven't replaced the two really good starting safeties arbitrarily with rookies we've drafted? Weird. Hell Douglass seems like a great fit at safety as he gets ages out of CB and weirdly enough Rapp is finally looking for the ball.

Arbitrarily? We've drafted at least 3 Safeties to develop as their replacements, spent years working on them, and no one is even close to being ready to fill in.

Yes, Douglas and Rapp, two experienced vets who needed no developing, look like they are set to take over those spots. That's the exact problem I'm pointing to.

Not a major problem. I'm not bashing anyone or saying we can't develop guys at all. But as someone who also has pushed the "DBU" narrative, when I go back and look, I'm thinking I might've had it a little wrong.

This game could have been a blow-out similar to the game in Miami.

I think we left at least 20 points on the field

Josh first interception - 7 points

Josh second interception - 3 points

Mismanagement of closing play of 1st Half - 7 points

Josh strip, sack fumble at Mia 28 - 3 points.

IMHO

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Surprising that Babylon Spector got the of over Dorian Williams once Dodson went down 

Spector went ok I guess… but yeah … not a great sign for how Dorian is developing… or maybe a good sign about Spector … 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The announcers commented on it and said that it was after the whistles were already blowing or some such and they gave him the furthest spot he achieved before the whistles.  Which may have been true, but simply brings up the question of why the whistles were suffering from "premature ejeculation".

Refs have to understand - when Allen is rushing the ball he isn't finished until he's (a) on the ground, (2) out of bounds or (d) in the end zone. Those idiots stopped play way too quickly.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Spector went ok I guess… but yeah … not a great sign for how Dorian is developing… or maybe a good sign about Spector … 

Have to think Spector better vs the run which is where Fins were gashing us.   Williams better in coverage per camp reports. 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Refs have to understand - when Allen is rushing the ball he isn't finished until he's (a) on the ground, (2) out of bounds or (d) in the end zone. Those idiots stopped play way too quickly.

how may times do we complain when the ball gets ripped out after forward progress stops?

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

League could probably use that as an example it doesn't get much clearer than that.

What I find just unbelievable is the ref that is right there at the sideline… didn’t see that?  Or did and said… nah, no foul there?    I mean, it’s just beyond reason to say that is not pass interference. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Have to think Spector better vs the run which is where Fins were gashing us.   Williams better in coverage per camp reports. 

That makes a lot of sense actually. 

Spector finished with 4 tackles which was 4th on the team behind Bernard, Johnson, and Poyer.  Considering he played 37% of the snaps, I'd say he did OK.

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

What I find just unbelievable is the ref that is right there at the sideline… didn’t see that?  Or did and said… nah, no foul there?    I mean, it’s just beyond reason to say that is not pass interference. 

Correct, especially considering (comparatively) small Jersey tugs and stuff they were calling as DPI later on in the game.

"Course hazards", I tell ya, "Course hazards"

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t know about two CB1s, but you’re in to something with Benford.  He’s a stud.  

Such a welcome development. Just as good (or better, in terms of cost) as if they had hit on Elam. If Elam can develop into at least a quality depth corner, the team should be set at the position next year. 

Josh Allen’s bad first half wasn’t as bad as being advertised. His worst play was the throw to end the half. That cannot happen.

But what a stud down the stretch. He put the entire team on his back in that 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What a Win.

I put this up there with the perfect game against the Pats* because I f’n hate Miami just as much and their fans are the most delusional in the NFL

We kept every single narrative in play - 1) Josh owns Miami 2) Hardrock is really Highmark South 3) Miami can’t beat good teams 4) Tua isn’t a franchise QB (they will pay him like one though) 5) Buffalo owns the East

There’s been enough game analysis, I’ll just say Joshua F’n Allen is the heart and soul of this team and he leads from the front. Pure warrior.

I love the way this team is coming together at the right time. We aren’t even playing our best football and beating every team in front of us.

We have a very realistic chance at a Super Bowl. If Josh cleans things up (not just TOs but missing gimme TD’s) and some of our skill players make the plays that are there to be made (James Cook), we can beat anyone easily. If we get more self inflicted wounds this team can still win but the chances of a bad bounce, bad call, or bad turnover bouncing us out of the playoffs becomes much more likely.

• Like (+1) 5

Did the Bills actually win a game with 4 turnovers in the redzone (endzone)?  That's nuts,.  I consider the first half expiring on the 1 yard line basically another turnover.  Same result.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I set myself up to be disappointed but man the entire media report I'm seeing is "The Turnovers" and saying what the Dolphins did wrong. 

That's going to be the narrative for Josh all his career.  It's never going to change so you might as well except it.  

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

League could probably use that as an example it doesn't get much clearer than that.

This play was absolutely infuriating. One of those plays that there's just no rational explanation as to why it was missed. Just straight up seems like a ref seeing it and being like "***** it, not calling it."

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

This play was absolutely infuriating. One of those plays that there's just no rational explanation as to why it was missed. Just straight up seems like a ref seeing it and being like "***** it, not calling it."

When it's not called there's a simmering rage, that you temper with if they're not calling it they're not calling it. Then Dane Jackson gets flagged and you explode.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

He regrets leaving KC and Mahomes. Yeah, he got paid, but to leave that coach and QB was a huge risk. 

You think that? I would guess he's happy in Miami.

He got paid, (with less taxes) he gets his stats, and it's his home town.

Tyreek seems more like a "me" guy vs "team" guy.

I could be wrong though 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.