Hive Mind Theory Explains Bills' Recent Performances

theRalph

A hive mind is defined as a collective consciousness or intelligence that emerges from the coordination and cooperation of many individuals, similar to the behavior of bees in a hive.  Without getting too deep, I submit that an organization as closely knit as the Bills has a Hive Mind. This post will be tagged as irrational homer reaching, so I won't be brief. 

For practical purposes, the Bills' hive mind, or collective conscious, seeks the obvious goal of survival, defined in their case as a SB championship. Just like in nature, there are forces trying to prevent this—of course, their opponents—but also information, the access to which being at an all-time high. 

After the defensive injuries of weeks 4 and 5, Allen's dinged shoulder in game 7 and the attendant losses in games 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12, the "information" in the form of narratives further developed: The Bills rely too heavily on Josh Allen. McDermott turtles at the end of games. The team plays the blame game for its troubles.  The nadir was the ridiculous loss to Denver.    

We all reacted to those narratives, but so did the Bills' Hive Mind. After consecutive losses, that Hive Mind has gone through several phases of discovery and has created game situations that have tested the team's capabilities in specific ways, like a computer app searching for viruses. Versus the Jets and the Eagles, it proved to itself that the offense was as capable as ever. Versus KC (after the bye and "The McDermott Problem") the ability to close out a game on defense was tested. Versus Dallas, the ability to rely on the run game was tested. Versus LA, the ability to win in the end after a mediocre performance was tested. And finally, versus NE, this testing became acutely obvious when the defense was able to win the game with very little help from the offense. A housed opening kickoff and three 1st quarter turnovers won by the D while Allen had his worst 1st quarter as a pro demonstrates this pretty clearly. This Hive Mind wants the trophy so badly, that it has tested the team against its own failure modes to such an extent that Bills fans are being put through hell every game. But just like the previous three games this one ended with the Bills in victory formation—like it was never in doubt. Josh Allen did not suddenly start to suck. It's all been about testing.

The testing is complete. Hive Mind now has the team ready to put it all together. For five games. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Let the attacks begin!!

#GoBills    

Edited by theRalph
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some of you may laugh at this, but I wonder sometimes if the Bills Mafia isn't also part of that hive/collective.

To my mind at least, it has been proven that mass prayer or mass collective thinking can also have an affect in the world (physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing). And just being at a game, when 70,000 people are cheering and rooting at the same time, the energy can be palpable and inspire a team or change momentum in the game. But for so many years as a fan base, we have had our hearts repeatedly broken that now many of us just wait for that inevitable other shoe (bad thing) to drop/happen---self-fulfilling prophesy).

What if Bills Mafia changed its mindset as well to expecting good things (a great playoff run) to happen, rather than expecting doom and gloom. Maybe we can help will our battle-tested team to victory!

Just a thought. 😊

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Great. Now we'd like to see the hive mind finally put all three phases together in one game!

Preferably five games in a row. The next five sound like as good a place as any to start that trend.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, folz said:

Some of you may laugh at this, but I wonder sometimes if the Bills Mafia isn't also part of that hive/collective.

To my mind at least, it has been proven that mass prayer or mass collective thinking can also have an affect in the world (physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing). And just being at a game, when 70,000 people are cheering and rooting at the same time, the energy can be palpable and inspire a team or change momentum in the game. But for so many years as a fan base, we have had our hearts repeatedly broken that now many of us just wait for that inevitable other shoe (bad thing) to drop/happen---self-fulfilling prophesy).

What if Bills Mafia changed its mindset as well to expecting good things (a great playoff run) to happen, rather than expecting doom and gloom. Maybe we can help will our battle-tested team to victory!

Just a thought. 😊

That, my fellow fan, is The Law of Attractions. And you're spot on.

42 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Great. Now we'd like to see the hive mind finally put all three phases together in one game!

Actually five games.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, folz said:

Just a thought. 😊

Both Bills fans and team are going to rock Miami hard at Hard Rock this Sunday!!!

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Both Bills fans and team are going to rock Miami hard at Hard Rock this Sunday!!!

I'm 100% confident the Bills are going to come out of the game with the AFCE title.  What I'm not sure of it whether it would be more incentive for the team to play their best if they knew before the game if there were definitely in the playoffs or if they had to win to get in?  

15 minutes ago, folz said:

physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing

If you're using Schroedinger's Cat as a rationale, you've misinterpreted it. Schreodinger's thought experiment says that if there's a 50/50 chance of the cat being alive when you open the box, then the act of opening the box forces it to be either alive or dead. If 100 people conduct this experiment, then on average, you'll have 50 dead cats and 50 living cats. Now, according to what you wrote, the observers influenced the outcome. But if all 100 observers said, "I hope the cat is alive," then on average, 50 of them will be disappointed.

It should also be noted that quantum physics only applies at a subatomic scale. The laws break down at the macro scale. Conversely, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity only applies at a macro scale, not at the subatomic level. The great mystery of physics is how to reconcile the two theories which have been, at their respective scales, proven to be correct.

Sorry for the physics lesson, but I've seen far too many examples of people twisting/misinterpreting science to support a faulty hypothesis. Schroedinger himself said that the thought experiment was an analogy and he was horrified at the numerous misinterpretations of his idea.

32 minutes ago, folz said:

A lot more people are probably wondering too what extent or illustrious head coach factors into it all.  

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If you're using Schroedinger's Cat as a rationale, you've misinterpreted it. Schreodinger's thought experiment says that if there's a 50/50 chance of the cat being alive when you open the box, then the act of opening the box forces it to be either alive or dead. If 100 people conduct this experiment, then on average, you'll have 50 dead cats and 50 living cats. Now, according to what you wrote, the observers influenced the outcome. But if all 100 observers said, "I hope the cat is alive," then on average, 50 of them will be disappointed.

It should also be noted that quantum physics only applies at a subatomic scale. The laws break down at the macro scale. Conversely, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity only applies at a macro scale, not at the subatomic level. The great mystery of physics is how to reconcile the two theories which have been, at their respective scales, proven to be correct.

Sorry for the physics lesson, but I've seen far too many examples of people twisting/misinterpreting science to support a faulty hypothesis. Schroedinger himself said that the thought experiment was an analogy and he was horrified at the numerous misinterpretations of his idea.

If you're going to go full nerd on a guy just for saying "physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing" then you should at least try to be right!

The double-slit experiment did exactly this: https://plus.maths.org/content/physics-minute-double-slit-experiment-0

And before you try to nerd ME, nobody is asking whether this is applicable at a subatomic or macro level. His statement was simply that it exists and it does. The rest of the laws of physics are irrelevant.

Now, lets both crawl back into our holes and let this fun thought-experiment thread continue.

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

If you're going to go full nerd on a guy just for saying "physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing" then you should at least try to be right!

The double-slit experiment did exactly this: https://plus.maths.org/content/physics-minute-double-slit-experiment-0

And before you try to nerd ME, nobody is asking whether this is applicable at a subatomic or macro level. His statement was simply that it exists and it does. The rest of the laws of physics are irrelevant.

Now, lets both crawl back into our holes and let this fun thought-experiment thread continue.

I'm quite familiar with the double-slit experiment. Show me the part where the observer's desire for one particular outcome can force the results into that outcome. Is it because when you set out to observe particles, you see particles, but when you set out to observe waves, you see waves? So if I watch a game expecting a win, that makes a win more likely? What about upsets? I mean, in the double-slit, when you look for particles, you'll see particles 100% of the time; likewise for waves.

And his statement that it exists does NOT imply that it exists at both the macro and subatomic levels.

I'm done now.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Are you saying that all the other teams are not this way? Why would the Bills be any different?

No...and I imagine this occurs with many teams. I believe its probably more developed with the Bills compared with the mean because of their relative continuity and being fairly battle-tested—and their history.

We heard the same thing from Linval, Rasul, and Leonard Fournette when they arrived this season. "This lockerroom is special. Its different".

35 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm quite familiar with the double-slit experiment. Show me the part where the observer's desire for one particular outcome can force the results into that outcome. Is it because when you set out to observe particles, you see particles, but when you set out to observe waves, you see waves? So if I watch a game expecting a win, that makes a win more likely? What about upsets? I mean, in the double-slit, when you look for particles, you'll see particles 100% of the time; likewise for waves.

And his statement that it exists does NOT imply that it exists at both the macro and subatomic levels.

I'm done now.

You called this guy out for saying "physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing."

His statement is correct. You falsely attributed it to the Schrodinger's Cat experiment. 

All of the rest of this "desire for one particular outcome" and "subatomic or macro level" talk is window dressing for your own narrative... which nobody cares to debate. The man's statement was correct and if his hypothesis is simply "wow, there are a lot of unknowns in the universe, so let's think positively" then you shouldn't be attempting to correct him in that regard, either.

Now we're both done. :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, theRalph said:

A hive mind is defined as a collective consciousness or intelligence that emerges from the coordination and cooperation of many individuals, similar to the behavior of bees in a hive.  Without getting too deep, I submit that an organization as closely knit as the Bills has a Hive Mind. This post will be tagged as irrational homer reaching, so I won't be brief. 

For practical purposes, the Bills' hive mind, or collective conscious, seeks the obvious goal of survival, defined in their case as a SB championship. Just like in nature, there are forces trying to prevent this—of course, their opponents—but also information, the access to which being at an all-time high. Two general statements most Bills fans would agree with are 1)the Bills have been a SB contender for four years and 2)the Bills have encountered some of the worst luck in the league (some of it self-inflicted) during those years. I'm not sure there is another franchise where the team name morphs so easily into a term that perfectly describes the trauma: "Billsy".

After the defensive injuries of weeks 4 and 5, Allen's dinged shoulder in game 7 and the attendant losses in games 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12, the "information" in the form of narratives further developed: The Bills rely too heavily on Josh Allen. McDermott turtles at the end of games. The team plays the blame game for its troubles.  The nadir was the ridiculous loss to Denver.    

We all reacted to those narratives, but so did the Bills' Hive Mind. After consecutive losses, that Hive Mind has gone through several phases of discovery and has created game situations that have tested the team's capabilities in specific ways, like a computer app searching for viruses. Versus the Jets and the Eagles, it proved to itself that the offense was as capable as ever. Versus KC (after the bye and "The McDermott Problem") the ability to close out a game on defense was tested. Versus Dallas, the ability to rely on the run game was tested. Versus LA, the ability to win in the end after a mediocre performance was tested. And finally, versus NE, this testing became acutely obvious when the defense was able to win the game with very little help from the offense. A housed opening kickoff and three 1st quarter turnovers won by the D while Allen had his worst 1st quarter as a pro demonstrates this pretty clearly. This Hive Mind wants the trophy so badly, that it has tested the team against its own failure modes to such an extent that Bills fans are being put through hell every game. But just like the previous three games this one ended with the Bills in victory formation—like it was never in doubt. Josh Allen did not suddenly start to suck. It's all been about testing.

The testing is complete. Hive Mind now has the team ready to put it all together. For five games. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Let the attacks begin!!

#GoBills    

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

2 hours ago, theRalph said:

For practical purposes, the Bills' hive mind, or collective conscious, seeks the obvious goal of survival, defined in their case as a SB championship. Just like in nature, there are forces trying to prevent this—of course, their opponents—but also information, the access to which being at an all-time high. Two general statements most Bills fans would agree with are 1)the Bills have been a SB contender for four years and 2)the Bills have encountered some of the worst luck in the league (some of it self-inflicted) during those years. I'm not sure there is another franchise where the team name morphs so easily into a term that perfectly describes the trauma: "Billsy".

#GoBills    

Resistance is futile…, 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

You called this guy out for saying "physics has at least proven that the observer can influence the outcome of an experiment just by observing."

His statement is correct. You falsely attributed it to the Schrodinger's Cat experiment. 

All of the rest of this "desire for one particular outcome" and "subatomic or macro level" talk is window dressing for your own narrative... which nobody cares to debate. The man's statement was correct and if his hypothesis is simply "wow, there are a lot of unknowns in the universe, so let's think positively" then you shouldn't be attempting to correct him in that regard, either.

Now we're both done. :)

The board thanks you. 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I believe the OP was referencing or alluding to some of the basic concepts of Quantum Mechanics- particularly, quantum entanglement of two particles whereby direct measurement or observation of one particle's spin instantaneous impacts the spin of the entangled particle over any distance.

Also, love that we got psychology, sociology and physics all squeezed into the same thread.  That would never happen on Planet Chiefs!  TBD is definitely the best message board 

Edited by saundena

6 hours ago, theRalph said:

For practical purposes, the Bills' hive mind, or collective conscious, seeks the obvious goal of survival, defined in their case as a SB championship. Just like in nature, there are forces trying to prevent this—of course, their opponents—but also information, the access to which being at an all-time high. 

#GoBills    

Great stuff. Especially about testing against perceived failures like a computer program. Never thought of it like that. Intense QA testing before dynasty launch. 

I suspect this post was not 100% made in jest. Let’s hope this is the year all tests are passed and Allen can finally become Joe Montana. 

Also agree with the posters annoyed by the Schrödinger Cat poster. Stop trying to be smart and just be smart. 

7 hours ago, theRalph said:

#GoBills    

My hive mind cannot sync up properly until it knows why a section was in italics 

Edited by co_springs_billsfan

6 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm 100% confident the Bills are going to come out of the game with the AFCE title.  What I'm not sure of it whether it would be more incentive for the team to play their best if they knew before the game if there were definitely in the playoffs or if they had to win to get in?  

That Miami team is super banged up literally all of their star players have got something going on

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.