So how are we feeling about Coach McDermott?

53 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Agreed. Look at what the Texans have become with DeMeco Ryans or the Lions with Dan Campbell. McDermott has been here 7 years. His regular season record is very good, but the lack of playoff success is why I want to move on from him. I don't think he will lead the Bills to a Super Championship at this point. IMHO.

I agree in full. I've been banging the release of McD drum as loud as anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Under normal circumstances, Im very open to a new coaching staff.

The land of Terry Pegula though, I do not trust him to hire the right management.  The Sabres has been a continued unmitigated disaster.  I don't want that anywhere near the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And McDermott created the structure and support to develop that QB. 

That's a stretch. McD is a defensive guy and is pretty much hands off on the offense. 

Jordan Palmer was probably the one guy who really helped develop Josh and his mechanics, vision, and confidence. I suppose McD can get a backdoor pat on the pat for this. 

I'd argue McD hasn't fully taken advantage of their franchise QB. One loss in an AFC championship game is the furthest the team has gone under Allen. I think that is a pretty big failure. Sure one can argue the opposite with consecutive playoffs appearances. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's a stretch. McD is a defensive guy and is pretty much hands off on the offense. 

Jordan Palmer was probably the one guy who really helped develop Josh and his mechanics, vision, and confidence. I suppose McD can get a backdoor pat on the pat for this. 

I'd argue McD hasn't fully taken advantage of their franchise QB. One loss in an AFC championship game is the furthest the team has gone under Allen. I think that is a pretty big failure. Sure one can argue the opposite with consecutive playoffs appearances. 

This is truly unbelievable. McDermott is hands off unless we want to talk about him ruining Josh Allen.

My argument about the lack of Super Bowl appearances with Allen is McDermott has yet to lose in the playoffs to a QB everyone agrees is worse than Josh Allen. You can’t make the he has a franchise QB argument because he’s only losing to Mahomes and Burrow.

This game vs Miami will be interesting because I think with all the injuries McDermott has the better team and QB. He should win.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is truly unbelievable. McDermott is hands off unless we want to talk about him ruining Josh Allen.

My argument about the lack of Super Bowl appearances with Allen is McDermott has yet to lose in the playoffs to a QB everyone agrees is worse than Josh Allen. You can’t make the he has a franchise QB argument because he’s only losing to Mahomes and Burrow.

This game vs Miami will be interesting because I think with all the injuries McDermott has the better team and QB. He should win.

Ok tell me how you think McD developed Josh Allen? 

What are your thoughts if the Bills lose to Miami and miss the playoffs? 

It's not unbelievable because the last two years McD has been incompetent in the playoffs. Do you recall 13 seconds and a blowout loss to the Bengals? What's more unbelievable is you can't see how incompetent McD was. You can go back further in the playoffs and see how his team blew it in Houston and Jacksonville too. It's a pattern not an anomaly. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

It's not unbelievable because the last two years McD has been incompetent in the playoffs. Do you recall 13 seconds and a blowout loss to the Bengals? What's more unbelievable is you can't see how incompetent McD was. You can go back further in the playoffs and see how his team blew it in Houston and Jacksonville too. It's a pattern not an anomaly. 

I just hope we don't get to the point where Allen is 34/35 years old and starting to decline and we still haven't won a Super Bowl. With McDermott staying on as HC I could see this scenario playing out. He has proven he can't get it done in the postseason. SEVEN YEARS already. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I just hope we don't get to the point where Allen is 34/35 years old and starting to decline and we still haven't won a Super Bowl. With McDermott staying on as HC I could see this scenario playing out. He has proven he can't get it done in the postseason. SEVEN YEARS already. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance here.

I think in retrospect we Bills fans will regret that the regime stuck with McD too long. 

I get that he's a good coach and has done a lot of great things in Buffalo. He fits the persona to a T. That shouldn't be lost in the conversation. 

With that said, I would welcome a change. I've seen enough...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’d def agree with that…kind of reminds me of the 90s Knicks who were a great team they just kept running into Michael Jordan in the playoffs 

beating Miami does a ton for both the optics and our chances of playoff success,  either we win the division and finish 5-0 with 3 wins over playoff teams in that stretch then have a few favorable playoff matchups or we enter as a wildcard team after lookin a little shaky against two bad teams if not missing the playoffs entirely 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has anyone changed their opinion of him over the last month?

This will be an emotional weekend. I’m prepared for a lot of McDermott threads Sunday night if things go poorly. I want to see how we’re feeling entering the biggest regular season game of his head coaching career.

Heck no there are those here that if he took them to the SB & won that wold still B**CH about something he did then still call for him to be fired. It's kind of like that ex wife thing or the delusional drunk ex hubby thing never happy unless they are drunk or B**CHIN - typical fans ...

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think in retrospect we Bills fans will regret that the regime stuck with McD too long. 

I get that he's a good coach and has done a lot of great things in Buffalo. He fits the persona to a T. That shouldn't be lost in the conversation. 

With that said, I would welcome a change. I've seen enough...

I’m gonna be honest I don’t really get the whole admitting he’s good thing.  If you’re knowingly firing a good coach the odds things improve under someone else that’s a mostly unknown commodity are very small.  If you think he’s holding the team back/getting carried by the talent he has and want him fired that is something I completely understand. 

11 minutes ago, T master said:

Heck no there are those here that if he took them to the SB & won that wold still B**CH about something he did then still call for him to be fired. It's kind of like that ex wife thing or the delusional drunk ex hubby thing never happy unless they are drunk or B**CHIN - typical fans ...

I’m curious what happens around here if we beat Miami…I think he deserves some credit for the winning streak which would include beating the 4th 5th and 6th ranked teams by dvoa but will he get it idk 😂

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I said he built the structure and support that allowed Allen to develop.

13 seconds happened because the play before the defense was in aggressive man coverage with safeties over the top and allowed Tyreek Hill to go 75 yards. I don’t  blame the coach all the time when the players blow it. Coaching definitely was part of it, but the players were also. The Houston game they called the perfect blitz and Matt Milano and some other player couldn’t tackle Watson and Watson escaped and made the winning play. Not to mention Hopkins toasting White deep, Allen fumbling late, and on and on. The Bengals game they were flat from the start. Nothing else to say about that game.

There is plenty of blame to go around when talking about why they haven’t advanced to a Super Bowl. That almost a completely different topic though. Saying McDermott has no responsibility for building the Bills into a top 5 franchise today is ridiculous. He is the reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I believe it's essential to consider the full body of work, spanning six years. I commend McDermott for his significant contributions in developing both the team and its culture. In that respect I view him as a top-10 coach, also in terms of defensive preparation. Despite the setbacks of losing key defensive players like Tre and Milano this year, McDermott has, for the most part, elevated our defense to an impressive level in recent weeks.

However, there is another aspect that needs acknowledgment - the challenges in game management and in-game tactical adjustments. In this regard, McDermott falls squarely in the bottom half of NFL coaches. While I won't revisit the 13 seconds controversy, the overarching issue seems to be an inability to grasp the correct vibe in crucial moments. This often manifests in poorly timed (usually defensive) timeouts. One instance that particularly frustrated me was when he called a timeout just before the 59-yard Eagles field goal. Elliott got the time to have a few nice practice kicks on the sideline for crying out loud... Not feeling the moment IMO.

McDermott undeniably excels from Monday to Saturday, showcasing his coaching prowess. However, the challenge lies in translating that success to game days. I can't help but think about the stark contrast in game instincts between McDermott and someone like Dan Campbell.

If you want to climb Mount Everest, you assemble a team of sherpas to guide you to near the top, and then there's that one exceptional sherpa who leads you to the very summit. Perhaps McDermott is the top sherpa for getting the team to the last base camp, but the crucial test remains in reaching the summit.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m gonna be honest I don’t really get the whole admitting he’s good thing.  If you’re knowingly firing a good coach the odds things improve under someone else that’s a mostly unknown commodity are very small.  If you think he’s holding the team back/getting carried by the talent he has and want him fired that is something I completely understand. 

The thing that truly gets me is that like a lot of other fans i would love to see if for nothing else (& lack of a better term) a throw back hire and have wanted Frank Reich to be hired BUT with that being said .

I would rather have him as a OC first if he were to be hired at all & keep McD as the HC unlike others here that even given Reich's last 2 HC ing jobs having losing records & has gotten fired from both places although it IMHO was a bit premature .

Even given those facts there are those here that would have McD fired & bring Frank in to replace him 🤔 and there is the answer . Fans don't base the moves on results they base it on their fandom not actual results . 

For god sake in the HC ing ranks look at what's happening this year the Chiefs, Pats, Green Bay, Steelers, Philly, all very established good HC's that have good teams and for what ever reason they aren't doing that well this year so fire them all & start all over that makes total sense right ? 

15 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

The defense, against the Zach Wilson-led Jets, sucked in Week 1.  

The defense? Really?!? Zach Wilson-led Jets?!

Zach’s numbers for that game:

14-21 

140 yds

1 td and 1 int

If Josh gives the Jets 4 free possessions AFTER a defensive stop, that’s not going to help the team/defense. The defense was not why we lost that game. Not even close. They took out Rodgers in the first drive, for Christ sake. Josh sucked that game and only Josh. The kick return for a TD wouldn’t come into play if not for Josh, not the defense. Did you watch the game? I know it was a while ago, but damn, I don’t know how you’re excusing Josh for that game. Oh, I forgot where I am. The mob is more vocal. Even with dumb 💩 like your post. 

I’m sure the jets were thanking Josh all the way home after that game. 

By the way, if Josh doesn’t lose that game, where do we stand in the AFCE? First place as of today. 

• Agree 1

I've got to give him credit for getting the defense ready. A lot of injuries and a lot of new faces. Douglas has been lights out. What a pickup!! 
On the offensive side, he did the necessary thing and got rid of Dorsey. Brady seemed to have the offense humming the first few weeks, but the slow down going into the final stretch is concerning. Getting us into position to grab the #2 seed after that mid-season lull deserves some credit. Now it's time for this team to show what it is truly capable of, and that includes McDermott managing the games better and making better in-game decision.

16 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So are you advocating that we move on from Allen instead of McD?

😂😂😂

My post made all the sense in the world. No one brings up the game Josh lost. Why? I put the blame on coaching for the “12 men” penalty. Shouldn’t be hard to acknowledge Josh lost that game. He’s not on the mob’s list as a whipping boy. Guess what? Even with that loss, we’re one win away from a 4th straight AFCE title. Nice coaching job to overcome that huge loss. Doesn’t matter that it was the first game of the season. It’s biting us in the ass right now, as much as the “12 men”. You can’t argue that. So you know the answer to your question. 

After the low pointoh Philadelphia he has coachng like his is job on the line. He has been more aggressive for the most part and his end game decision making is a bit better as well.

That being said I'm still not convinced he can take us from very good to world champions.  

i would love him to show me he can  this year. 

28 minutes ago, Dopey said:

😂😂😂

My post made all the sense in the world. No one brings up the game Josh lost. Why? I put the blame on coaching for the “12 men” penalty. Shouldn’t be hard to acknowledge Josh lost that game. He’s not on the mob’s list as a whipping boy. Guess what? Even with that loss, we’re one win away from a 4th straight AFCE title. Nice coaching job to overcome that huge loss. Doesn’t matter that it was the first game of the season. It’s biting us in the ass right now, as much as the “12 men”. You can’t argue that. So you know the answer to your question. 

Were you visiting Tibet after the Bills lost to the Jets?  A lot of people brought up Allen's bad game. In fact it entered beating a dead horse territory with all the glee & gloating 2BD's resident Allen critics talked abut it. 

30 minutes ago, Dopey said:

😂😂😂

Again, if it's Allen's fault and not the coaching then are you arguing that the Bills should move on from Allen if we miss the playoffs this year?

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has anyone changed their opinion of him over the last month?

This will be an emotional weekend. I’m prepared for a lot of McDermott threads Sunday night if things go poorly. I want to see how we’re feeling entering the biggest regular season game of his head coaching career.

Same as I have all season.

He is a good DC. But it's obvious he spends all his time with the Defense and practically zero time on Offense or Special Teams, as evidenced by the fact that the only unit that shows up ready to play each week is the Defense.

This team doesnt have a Head Coach right now, and hasnt all season.

He needs to hire a DC and go back to running the team.

Past that, I don't trust his in-game decision making or situational football skills at all. He has an amazing regular season record due to Josh and the rest of the talent on the team, in spite of his coaching. And when the going gets tough, we consistently fold under the pressure due to his poor clock management and quick-decision skills.

Good guy, but not a great Head Coach.

As Josh said in his presser after the Dunne article "You can question his coaching style, but dont question his character or who he is as a man."

And that's where I'm at. Good guy, meh coach.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Were you visiting Tibet after the Bills lost to the Jets?  A lot of people brought up Allen's bad game. In fact it entered beating a dead horse territory with all the glee & gloating 2BD's resident Allen critics talked abut it. 

Again, if it's Allen's fault and not the coaching then are you arguing that the Bills should move on from Allen if we miss the playoffs this year?

I was referring to this thread. As to the  Tibet question, I was here reminding everyone who blamed anyone other than Josh, it was indeed Josh. No glee or gloating. That’s TBD mob mentality with “Cook sucks”, “Bernard sucks”, “Brown sucks” and gloating when they make a mistake. Same crew that somehow forgot they were mocking Edmunds every week in Chicago. Until he shut them the eff up. 
To the bold. Please tell me this is a rhetorical question. You know the answer. You’re not dumb. Well, the fact that you even asked that question…

The team is ending the season strong and that's notable... lets see if this guy can gets us to the promise land with a team that is playing well enough in December to be in the argument for a SB win

McDermott still worries me, too many WTF moments in hindsight, but were trending in the right direction heading towards the playoffs

At some point this season I had reached the conclusion that McD wasn’t the guy to get the Bills “over the hump” and into a Super Bowl (I don’t put winning the Super Bowl as the benchmark because so much can happen in one game).  It is clear, though, that his players respect him and want to play for him.  What happened after the Go Long hit piece says a lot about how the team views him.

McD is not perfect with respect to gameday decisions, although he took a huge step forward when he called timeout on Sunday to get the Bills out of shotgun on 3rd and 1.

My primary fear about McD is that he will tense up during the last 2:00 of tight games, but over the past month that hasn’t happened, with close wins over KC, the Chargers, and now the Pats***.  Perhaps he is turning a corner.

There is no question this week is the biggest regular season game of his career.  Win and you get to be home for two, possibly three, playoff games.

I have revised my opinion of McD and am no longer looking for him to be immediately replaced.  He has earned a bit more length of rope.

I want him to get it done because he is a good man who has proven he loves Buffalo and what the Bills represent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Two moments from this week alone illustrate my concerns:

1. Josh being pissed we just did the dumb "try to make them jump" on 4th down instead of actually playing aggressively, playing TO WIN, and really going for it.

2. McD having to call a time out when we lined up in shotgun instead of the Tush Push. How did he not know it was that play called until they were already lined up? Is he not listening to the coach chatter while we are on offense?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I said he built the structure and support that allowed Allen to develop.

13 seconds happened because the play before the defense was in aggressive man coverage with safeties over the top and allowed Tyreek Hill to go 75 yards. I don’t  blame the coach all the time when the players blow it. Coaching definitely was part of it, but the players were also. The Houston game they called the perfect blitz and Matt Milano and some other player couldn’t tackle Watson and Watson escaped and made the winning play. Not to mention Hopkins toasting White deep, Allen fumbling late, and on and on. The Bengals game they were flat from the start. Nothing else to say about that game.

There is plenty of blame to go around when talking about why they haven’t advanced to a Super Bowl. That almost a completely different topic though. Saying McDermott has no responsibility for building the Bills into a top 5 franchise today is ridiculous. He is the reason.

Who said McD has no responsibility for building the Bills into a top franchise? I didn't.

When you land a Josh Allen it's pretty much a given you can sleepwalk into a top 10 franchise. He that good. 

The issue and the debate is why the Bills haven't been able to even sniff a super bowl. Frankly, they haven't even been close!!! There are several reasons why and one IMHO includes McD. Of course,you disagree. 

Should this fan base accept a good regular season as a success, playoff appearances as a success? One playoff win and out as a success? This is what we've gotten under McD. Success can be measured and interpreted in many ways. I'd argue the goalpost have dramatically moved for at least a couple of years.

McD continues to fall short. Not sure how Bills fans nonchalantly dismiss the 13 second nightmare and the Bengal thrashing as hoe hum. What's the next occurrence of failure? Can't wait to hear your excuse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

i felt this year was a get into the playoffs and show me what you can do type year.  that hasn't changed.  win sunday, get into the playoffs, and show me what's different from the previous year's playoff appearances.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i felt this year was a get into the playoffs and show me what you can do type year.  that hasn't changed.  win sunday, get into the playoffs, and show me what's different from the previous year's playoff appearances.

I'm putting a LOT on McDermott this week as to which team shows up for the game.

Do we get the team we saw against Dallas and the first Miami game? Or do we get the team that is half-asleep and still jet lagged from London?

He needs to be able to get ALL THREE units laser focused and firing on all cylinders.

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It's not a hard concept whatsoever. Good coaches get fired all the time. The best examples are in the NBA. Many fired coaches get opportunities afterwards in the NFL too. Often they end of being coordinators too. In a perfect world I'd be satisfied if McD remained the DC. 

Often it's about creating change and progressing to the next step. Do you think the team is progressing under McD? I don't and think change is a reasonable solution to jump start the team ahead. 

This upcoming Miami game is huge. A loss and a playoff miss certainly will open up some eyes. Eyes that have been closed shut for two years. Maybe even yours?

This would devastate the fan base on a temporarily. As a football fan, I could see myself watching the entire post season with anger and disappointment. I suspect my disapproval for McD will grow and more support will gather. Sure hope this doesn't happen. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm putting a LOT on McDermott this week as to which team shows up for the game.

Do we get the team we saw against Dallas and the first Miami game? Or do we get the team that is half-asleep and still jet lagged from London?

He needs to be able to get ALL THREE units laser focused and firing on all cylinders.

oh me too.  this is a mini playoff game.  

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Two moments from this week alone illustrate my concerns:

1. Josh being pissed we just did the dumb "try to make them jump" on 4th down instead of actually playing aggressively, playing TO WIN, and really going for it.

2. McD having to call a time out when we lined up in shotgun instead of the Tush Push. How did he not know it was that play called until they were already lined up? Is he not listening to the coach chatter while we are on offense?

Josh did nothing all game to give me any confidence the offense would convert.

I trust McDermott this week, and Allen plus the defensive leadership guys.  I think they get it done.  They know what's at stake and the proper practice week mindset for this game.

Beyond that I'd be a bit worried about playoffs, that this team flirting with some close games finally crumbles.  But I'll worry about that next week.

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Josh did nothing all game to give me any confidence the offense would convert.

Can't disagree with that, but that's on Josh, and it's still McD's job to try to win the game and IMO you do that by putting it your players' hands to make plays. If they don't, at least you went down swinging instead of Jauroning a punt.

For me any real discussion about McDummy still comes back to how this team has performed on the road this year:

@ NYJ - Loss, in overtime despite Aaron Rogers going down with season ending injury on first drive. (non playoff team)

@ WFT - Win, best overall win/performance on road but Allen and offense was not great as defense carried them (non playoff team)

* Jaguars - Loss,  I know this was technically a 'home game' but we all know what happened between the big injuries and really getting dominated from start to finish

@NE - Loss, against Mac Jones and a team that then went on to lose 5 straight after this. (non playoff team)

@ CIN - Loss, against a team that was starting to get hot before Burrows season ending injury. (non playoff team)

@ PHI - Loss, Probably Allen's best game of the year and he certainly hasn't been anywhere close to it since. Eagles have since loss every game they've played other than the Giants. (playoff team)

@ KC - Win, but probably would have lost if not for the infamous Toney Offside call on a play that would have taken the lead for the Chiefs in final minute of game. Also important to note the Bills were 1-5 away from Buffalo up until this point.  (playoff team)

@ LAC - Win, but barely against a QB with less than 5 career starts and interim head coach that has never even held a DC or OC position in the NFL. (non playoff team)

@ MIA - TBD (playoff team)

My point here is that regardless of the outcome on Sunday night, there's very little here to indicate this team is going to win a playoff game, especially on the road where Allen/McD have never done that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.