Is it time to put out an Amber Alert on Dalton Kincaid?

FireChans

God forbid we mention Kincaid without mentioning LaPorta. As if LaPorta’s success means Kincaid is a bust.

Outside of Mike Ditka, LaPorta is having arguably the greatest season ever by a rookie TE - it doesn’t mean Kincaid is bad or struggling this year. Looking at numbers quick (it should be noted that LaPorta will play 1 extra game than previous rookie TE as well as Kincaid due to injury)

LaPorta has the most catches (81) all-time.

Kincaid has 62 catches which is 6th all-time. He’ll likely finish top 5. 

Laporta will likely finish with the 3rd most yards. Kincaid will finish somewhere around 15 all-time. 

They’re featuring LaPorta much more, but Kincaid’s role is nothing to sneeze at. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

God forbid we mention Kincaid without mentioning LaPorta. As if LaPorta’s success means Kincaid is a bust.

Outside of Mike Ditka, LaPorta is having arguably the greatest season ever by a rookie TE - it doesn’t mean Kincaid is bad or struggling this year. Looking at numbers quick (it should be noted that LaPorta will play 1 extra game than previous rookie TE as well as Kincaid due to injury)

Laporta will likely finish with the 3rd most yards. Kincaid will finish somewhere around 15 all-time. 

They’re featuring LaPorta much more, but Kincaid’s role is nothing to sneeze at. 

Correct. In a vacuum, Kincauds stats look good for a rookie TE on a winning football team. However we cannot justly remove the investment placed into him via draft selection and desire more from a first round pick. This isn’t on the player as much as the organization. 

7 hours ago, muppy said:

stud bookends at the TE position cannot be a   bad thing. Can it?

I'm going to go with there are just not enough offensive snaps to go around if Cook and Murray are to be fed too..

Not a bad thing. But not the best thing given the make up of our roster and future needs. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Just once, I would like our player to be having a crazy awesome season, not be the “also ran” to another players’ crazy awesome season 

• Eyeroll 2

Kincaid has been a nice addition. I think he’s underused and has more potential than our offense has allowed him to see. Have we thrown one seam pass the entire year to a TE? One? I can’t remember. He got dinged up and that along with Knox coming back is why his production has slipped. I think with a full offseason Brady will be able to implement him into the offense more. Brady knows talent - he’s the one that elevated Johnson right away so there’s no way he doesn’t understand what Kincaid is capable of.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Just once, I would like our player to be having a crazy awesome season, not be the “also ran” to another players’ crazy awesome season 

You’re the one making it that way lol

It’s ok for other players to be good. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re the one making it that way lol

It’s ok for other players to be good. 

Nah. I want the best players.

We had this with Sammy Watkins. He had a “really good season too.” He wasn’t Mike Evans or OBJ. And ended up not being close.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Correct. In a vacuum, Kincauds stats look good for a rookie TE on a winning football team. However we cannot justly remove the investment placed into him via draft selection and desire more from a first round pick. This isn’t on the player as much as the organization. 

And he’s producing at a high level for a rookie TE? What does draft status have to do with it? His production has been congruent with the WR drafted ahead of him in RD1. 

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Nah. I want the best players.

We had this with Sammy Watkins. He had a “really good season too.” He wasn’t Mike Evans or OBJ. And ended up not being close.

What do Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and OBJ have to do with Dalton Kincaid? 

Answer: Absolutely nothing 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

And he’s producing at a high level for a rookie TE? What does draft status have to do with it? His production has been congruent with the WR drafted ahead of him in RD1. 

Draft status is inseparable when you’re looking at him in terms of how this roster is constructed. I already agreed he’s having a solid season, but it isn’t just about this year. 

In years to come we are going to be searching for WR2 and Diggs replacement. Would have been nice to take a stab at it this year. 

Guys picked in that R1 run before he went at 25 are having solid to great years, and yes, they are statistically better than his season. 

Again I think the player is good. This doesn’t take away from the fact that we have other, more drastic needs down the line at more impactful positions. 

51 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He made his argument.

He wants the top Tight End, not a guy who is pretty good.

I think Kincaid has been ok. But come on, he catches a ton of dump offs and zone-sits in the middle of the field. 

He’s not a featured piece of the offense, he’s there as a background producer.

Now we’re 15 games into the season, and his season long is 22 yards, most games his long is 12-14 yards.

So the hands - check

Slippery in zones - check

Targeted on more advanced route tree - No

Playmaking after the catch - Not really

Average game for him is 4.4 catches, 35 yards a game - so agree with FireChans.

He’s compiled a lot of catches, but the way he was sold, there was expected to be more impact. 

I agree with NewEra, and Kincaid said it - there will be a strength plan in the off-season so he can run with more power and take hits better and less awkwardly. 

I understand the concerns of the OP. 

Kincaid hasn't impacted a game significantly, his depth of target is pretty low and total catches are meh. Before the season, I had hoped for 70 catches/700 yards/7 TDs but ofcourse I was way off target (heh). Over the past two games, a few of his drops were due to inaccuracy by JA so he hasn't suddenly forgotten to catch the football. The kid has good hands. 

Too early to be disappointed or unhappy about the pick as he is just a rookie. I hope season 2 is much better and justifies the investment made (1st round with trade up)

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Now wait a minute.

All of last summer it was said on this board he was going to play slot to justify his high draft pick.

Now we're being told he dropped off the map because he is spitting time with Knox at the TE position. 

Which is it ?

This is the correct point to make.

The 1.5 personnel talk, the “heavy-slot” - he has the hands and instincts in underneath zone.

And of course Kincaid will have an improvement plan on the off-season. 

But neither coordinator has featured him and the bigger point is this team still lacks playmaking.

So when I hear Joe Marino say he’s seen enough to know that he wants Kincaid as the #2 option in the passing game next year, I think the opposite.

The work isn’t done, this team needs a Round 1 WR. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Instant gratification, of course.  Want the Mac Jones with his flashy rookie season instead of JA17?  The draft is for the future.  We did once pick the player (JA17) who is going to have the crazy, awesome career!

I too would like more from DK2 but I think much like Diggs, DK2 is playing through an injury.  The plan may have been to use him sparingly until he heals.

On the positive side DK2's hands look great, he is fluid, and the future looks bright.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

He has 4 targets for 1 catch in the last two weeks.

Even in the week before, he had 8 targets for 5 catches for 21 yards.

He hasn’t eclipsed 50 yards receiving since the Denver game.

What’s going on? Is he hitting a wall, while LaPorta breaks records? Did Knox push him out of the lineup? Was he a Dorsey guy? Has he been hanging out with Elam? 

What say you, and can we expect some first round production as we gear up for the postseason?

You go guy!

17 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Instant gratification, of course.  Want the Mac Jones with his flashy rookie season instead of JA17?  The draft is for the future.  We did once pick the player (JA17) who is going to have the crazy, awesome career!

I too would like more from DK2 but I think much like Diggs, DK2 is playing through an injury.  The plan may have been to use him sparingly until he heals.

On the positive side DK2's hands look great, he is fluid, and the future looks bright.

Our SB window is kinda like right now, so yeah, instant gratification would be better.

I don’t want Kincaid to blossom when Josh is 32.

I’m still waiting for the Elam blossom.

Edited by FireChans

12 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Jesus christ, you complainers are insufferable 

That’s the best you got?

The original poster makes a good point.  Our 1st round pick isn’t getting the ball thrown to him and is not a big part of the offense.  That’s a legitimate question and concern.  Doesn’t mean he hates the team.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

They are a prime example of players at the same position having better seasons as rookies AND better careers taken after the Bills pick. 

I think you can understand the parallel I’m drawing there. 

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That’s the best you got?

The original poster makes a good point.  Our 1st round pick isn’t getting the ball thrown to him and is not a big part of the offense.  That’s a legitimate question and concern.  Doesn’t mean he hates the team.  

I have better, just not appropriate for the board

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’ve said many a time before, our devotion to running the ball with unique personnel groupings including the use of guys like Gilliam, Edwards, etc is limiting his snaps IMO. 

Pair this with the return of Knox, and the fact that it doesn’t seem to be even a thought to push the ball down the field to him, it’s dried up. 

Even at the height of his success this year, it’s been a lot of dump and go, outlets, quick hitters, etc.

For whatever reason, the guy who was touted in college as being a vertical threat is not being used in such a way whatsoever. 

This could be coverage based, scheme or simply play design in progressions but it’s frustrating.

Even if Kincaid blows up and turns out to be an all pro for years to come, his immediate impact was unfortunately always going to be tampered by the presence of a highly paid player at the same position. 

I'm dying for some seam routes to this kid in the 10-20 yard range. 

Brady has called a point scoring offense, but he needs to find a way to get pass catchers involved that didn't start in the backfield. Diggs and Kincaid disappeared almost at the same time Brady started calling the plays.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Our SB window is kinda like right now, so yeah, instant gratification would be better.

I don’t want Kincaid to blossom when Josh is 32.

I’m still waiting for the Elam blossom.

Done right, our SB window has another 7-10 years.  Drafting Kincaid is right in line with that strategy, he looks like a good one.

I'd like to see more out of Kincaid this year when he gets healthy.  I think he should be the number 2 passing target.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Done right, our SB window has another 7-10 years.  Drafting Kincaid is right in line with that strategy, he looks like a good one.

I'd like to see more out of Kincaid this year when he gets healthy.  I think he should be the number 2 passing target.

What does “doing a Super Bowl window right” mean to you?

Edited by FireChans

12 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What’s bothering Kincaid? Didn’t see him on Friday’s injury report. 

image.thumb.png.5a42b1615870eb25de89afd0294b37ab.png

Did you know Kincaid has the 6th most catches all time for a rookie TE?

Did you know that Kincaid has 1-2 games less then everyone on that list ahead of him?

Did you know that non of those teams had a 2nd TE taking receptions as well?

Did you know Laporta which is the only reason for this post has had 40 more targets (81 rec 113 targets)? while Kincaid has 62 rec on 76 targets

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That’s the best you got?

He has the second most catches (62 catches on 76 targets) on a team tied for 5th in the NFL in scoring. I don’t need to invent things to be upset about.

Every game cannot be your best game. I love what this guy offers, and look forward to seeing him continue to grow. Every situation is different, and I don’t care if LaPorta has 200 catches. That has nothing to do with us and how we use Kincaid. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Did you know that Kincaid has 1-2 games less then everyone on that list ahead of him?

Did you know Laporta which is the only reason for this post has had 40 more targets (81 rec 113 targets)? while Kincaid has 62 rec on 76 targets

Yes he’s compiling a lot of small catches. 

This is just like the stats earlier in the year DVOA and EPA and RISP and ROR and WAR over and over. 

Wee watch the games, there isn’t much meaningful impact. Hasn’t been all year. 

It’s okay to say it. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

All good points!

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

He has the second most catches (62 catches on 76 targets) on a team tied for 5th in the NFL in scoring. I don’t need to invent things to be upset about.

Every game cannot be your best game. I love what this guy offers, and look forward to seeing him continue to grow. Every situation is different, and I don’t care if LaPorta has 200 catches. That has nothing to do with us and how we use Kincaid. 

Augie your point is well taken.

But I do think, taking Laporta out of the equation, Kincaid seems to have hit a wall.

All of the stats, the 6th all time receptions, high on the rookie list in yards, etc; that all happened weeks ago. Kincaid has been becoming less and less productive, and I think that merits the discussion about TEs in a Brady called offense, usage/snaps given (by McD or Brady by way of formation selection), knox taking his snaps because Knox blox, a potential injury? Idk

But zooming out and looking at the big (long term) picture: Kincaid is at a minimum in the top 5 most important players on the team going forward, so just like with Josh, if he's not doing well it's time to start making adjustments.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.