JA can earn an extra $5 million this year by doing this

BillsFan619

3 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I'm pretty sure a bonus goes on next year's cap.  

Yes and no: 

bonuses fall within two categories. 

1) Likely to be achieved 

2) Unlikely to be achieved

Bonuses that are deemed likely to be achieved are baked within this years cap, where as those deemed unlikely are paid out and count against next years cap if they are achieved.

I have to imagine you’re right though and these three bonuses would be considered unlinkely to be met and fall against next years cap.

Worth it! 

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Someone please confirm what year these bonuses apply to: this season or 2024 season...

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Yeah, and NYS will take half

Have a nice day

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Actually the money earned in a game is paid to the state it is played in.  

so if the AFC championship is in Baltimore, it would be paid to Maryland I assume.  This may be different with the bonuses but that’s how it works out for your salary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Gotta laugh at the Bills putting a 60% of snaps played qualifier for the ACCG and SB.

As if we would win either of those games without Josh friggin Allen!

Josh getting pulled halfway through 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl, in lieu of Kyle friggen Allen.  After all, Terry is cheap! 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

so if the AFC championship is in Baltimore, it would be paid to Maryland I assume.  This may be different with the bonuses but that’s how it works out for your salary.

I've never heard this before.

So players have to fill out state tax returns for every state they play a game in?  And what about the London game?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Capco said:

I've never heard this before.

So players have to fill out state tax returns for every state they play a game in?  And what about the London game?

At least in the US it's called the 'jock tax'. For the London game they would have to pay UK taxes, but I'm not sure if it's regularly taxed income or if they also have a jock tax as well. 

I know players like to get their salary in the form of an up front bonus and will have their primary residence in a 0 tax state when they receive that bonus so they can skip the state taxes (have to pay federal regardless). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

At least in the US it's called the 'jock tax'. For the London game they would have to pay UK taxes, but I'm not sure if it's regularly taxed income or if they also have a jock tax as well. 

I know players like to get their salary in the form of an up front bonus and will have their primary residence in a 0 tax state when they receive that bonus so they can skip the state taxes (have to pay federal regardless). 

Which is why so few Bills stay in WNY year round.... and also why so many players have houses in Florida.

31 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I remember this being an issue with McGahee and Ralph not wanting to sign his contract in FL for that reason.

football games a treated the same as concerts - the band/signer has to pay income tax for the income earned wherever they play.   

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Win MVP - $1.5 million

Win AFCCG (60% of snaps played) - $1 million

Win SB (60% of snaps played) - $2.5 million

Earning $3.5 million sounds about right. Go Bills!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39205100/joe-flacco-nfl-players-millions-bonus-dollars-stake-playoffs

So, what your saying is, the Bills will rest all starters including Allen against Miami so he doesn't get MVP and him and Kyle Allen will switch halfs of each game in the Conference Championship and Super Bowl?

Edited by Buffalo03

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

So, what your saying is, the Bills will rest all starters including Allen against Miami so he doesn't get MVP and him and Kyle Allen will switch halfs of each game in the Conference Championship and Super Bowl?

🤣🤣🤣

Remember, it’s “Ralph is cheap” not “Terry is cheap”.

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Someone please confirm what year these bonuses apply to: this season or 2024 season...

Playoff incentive bonuses are treated like NLTBE and paid after the playoffs.  They then are calculated into the following years cap using

the Adjustment clause.  At the end of the season all LTBE and NLTBE bonuses are added and subtracted to whatever rollover is left.

Which means if a player has a LTBE bonus (which is part of the season cap hit) and doesn't earn it, the extra money if rolled over.

Opposite if an NLTBE bonus is earned.

Spotrac shows the + or - Adjustment ever year.  At the start of this year the Bills had $856k added to their cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

The players make minimal money for playoff games. It was $69k for championship game last year. Their salary is divided by the 17 regular season game checks. Josh would have made almost $1.8M per game this year but I think he converted his salary to bonus money before the season started.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

I like how that chucklehead is claiming NYS top bracket is 50%.

now his post has disappeared lol

6 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Josh getting pulled halfway through 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl, in lieu of Kyle friggen Allen.  After all, Terry is cheap! 

I’d just bench him to start the game, he likes the pressure of coming back anyway. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I like how that chucklehead is claiming NYS top bracket is 50%.

now his post has disappeared lol

Wellllll kinda, if you include the federal rate with it.   He’s getting hit at 10.3 or 10.9% from NYS, depending on the structure of everything.  It sucks, to be in the AFC East bc even the road games hit you with some of the highest tax rates around.  If I were negotiating a deal with Buffalo, NJJ, NE, I’d be asking for my game in Miami to be the check where my bonuses get added as a game check 😂 

11 hours ago, peterpan said:

Knowing our luck, those bonuses would put us over the cap and the SB win would be vacated and given to the Cheats *

No, but they'd get two additional 3rd rounders.

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Wellllll kinda, if you include the federal rate with it.   He’s getting hit at 10.3 or 10.9% from NYS, depending on the structure of everything.  It sucks, to be in the AFC East bc even the road games hit you with some of the highest tax rates around.  If I were negotiating a deal with Buffalo, NJJ, NE, I’d be asking for my game in Miami to be the check where my bonuses get added as a game check 😂 

And if you're injured and can't play in the game in Miami, what then?

Josh is going to split the bonus with his teammates right for he could not earn them without them, right?

I did it when I got an $1000 award of "Night on the Town" for leading team. Rather than spending award on myself and my wife I spent it on all of team and their spouses to a night at dinner theatre.  I later found out it was taxable so I paid for my entire team.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The poster said NYS, so kinda not

Fed takes whatever it takes wherever he earns it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.