Pats V Bills Matchup

PatsFanNH

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Pats have played 14 games and 10 have been one-score games. 6 of the last 7 have been one-score games, with the 10-point loss to the Chiefs being the exception. The Bills are also 0-3 vs the spread in games where they've been favored by 10+ points. I hate to say it, but I am envisioning a one-score game with an 11-point win the extreme boundary for the point difference. The Pats are an extremely well coached team on defense and will probably make life difficult for the Bills. I have a hunch the Bills will pull out a victory at home, but I also think it'll be a little ugly.  

I agree. I don't see a blowout here. I just put $100 on the Pats plus 12. Just way too many points. Bills win still. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

Many of those fans are also Red Sox fans - who always mocked Yankees fans for just responding "27 titles" when NY was struggling over the past decade+.

I love the irony.

We have our share of closeted or semi-closeted Boston pro sports fans on here.   They generally try to keep it under wraps because they know it's disgusting........unless you are from New England there is no excuse to ever be both a Bills fan and a fan of a pro sports team from Boston.    Bullfrog from WGR identifies as a Red Sox fan..........but he is one of those  "finish line" fans that lose all interest after the team wins a title.   Another reason to root for a Bills SB win.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We have our share of closeted or semi-closeted Boston pro sports fans on here.   They generally try to keep it under wraps because they know it's disgusting........unless you are from New England there is no excuse to ever be both a Bills fan and a fan of a pro sports team from Boston.    Bullfrog from WGR identifies as a Red Sox fan..........but he is one of those  "finish line" fans that lose all interest after the team wins a title.   Another reason to root for a Bills SB win.:thumbsup:

Red Sox fans are the worst. Who roots for car thieves?

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Martin is 32nd out of 33 qualifying punters in net yards per punt.

The Bills have straight-up lost two games on ST blunders on the final play: vs the Jets and the Broncos. That's two too many.

Worse than I thought.

Look at it this way, one third of our loses come on game ending special team blunders.

I dont understand this board, for months non-stop bitching about Ken Dorsey but barely a pep about our dismal ST Smilley, nice guy and all BUT....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I am not a betting man and this won’t change this weekend.  That said, I’m curious about what the learned here think.   If i had to bet, I’d take the points.  The Pats are always prepared and it’s a December divisional game.   Bills by 7 to 10.  What say the informed?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

If there was to be one thing that concerns me against the Pats, it's this:

The Bills have been mostly living off the run game lately. Their WRs have not been getting good separation, and they generally haven't been lighting it up through the air. 

The Pats, meanwhile, have a very good run defense, as you pointed out. If the Bills are unable to run the ball, and the pass game starts out slow -- as it is wont to do at times this year -- then this could be a closer and more anxiety-inducing game then it needs to be.

I still think the Bills ultimately find a way to take care of business at home, but I don't think it's going to be a 37-13 snoozefest or anything. I have the sneaking suspicion the game may be closer than Bills fans would prefer. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-offense-new-england-patriots-run-defense-nfl/article_8229a43a-a5b2-11ee-aa81-f75714062b6f.html

‘The Bills have produced 350 or more net yards nine times this season, and 20 or more first downs 11 times. New England’s defense has yielded 350 yards just four times, and 20 first downs five times.

It all starts with the Patriots’ beefy defensive front, which is holding teams to the second fewest rushing yards in the NFL – 84.8 a game. The Pats are No. 1 in yards per carry allowed – just 3.17. If that number holds up for the full season, it will be the lowest yards per carry allowed in the NFL in the past eight years.

“It starts with their interior, not only eating up blocks, but keeping gap integrity,” Bills center Mitch Morse said. “I think they do a phenomenal job of keeping gap integrity, understanding how offensive linemen are trying to play them, not only before the game, but during the game. I just have the utmost respect for how those guys play, and for us to have any success, we’re going to have to compete.”’

12 hours ago, Neo said:

I am not a betting man and this won’t change this weekend.  That said, I’m curious about what the learned here think.   If i had to bet, I’d take the points.  The Pats are always prepared and it’s a December divisional game.   Bills by 7 to 10.  What say the informed?

I think it’s crazy to bet on the Bills given this spread.  The Bills are 0-3 vs the spread when they’ve been favored by 10+ points and six of the pats’ last seven games have been one-score games. The one that wasn’t was a loss to the chiefs on the road, and it was only by 10 points.

That said, I WISH that the Bills crush it and win by 28.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

BillPass O v Pats Pass D — Bills by a lot! The Pats secondary is a bunch of scrubs off the street with a hurt Jonathan Jones leading them and he is at his best in the slot. The only chance NE has here is if Uche and Baremore have career type days and force Allen into mistakes. 

Bills Run O v Pats Run D — Pats, I say this because they have one of the best Run D in the NFL. I expect roughly 4 yards or less a carry…

I hope the bills realize this isn't the cowboys D and they manage to keep the pats in the game running the ball ala chargers. And instead exploit the pats pass D early on 

Edited by motorj

18 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Worse than I thought.

Look at it this way, one third of our loses come on game ending special team blunders.

I dont understand this board, for months non-stop bitching about Ken Dorsey but barely a pep about our dismal ST Smilley, nice guy and all BUT....

I will agree we have a very bad ST unit.  Martin will definitely need to be upgraded next year. I'm worried about Bass's leg strength beyond 50?  We've basically had no punt/ kickoff returner all season. I've not been impressed with any of our ST coaches in the Allen era.  Losing 2 games this season is the difference between a 1 seed and a 6th.  Again something Sean doesn't prioritize. 

2 hours ago, motorj said:

I hope the bills realize this isn't the cowboys D and they manage to keep the pats in the game running the ball ala chargers. And instead exploit the pats pass D early on 

Agree....we need to throw early and often. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, kkim0904 said:

Without Stevenson, Patriots are one dimensional.  They will rely on short passes to TE or quick slant.  Elliot is decent back up RB, not a threat.

This is true! But the simple truth is the O is historically BAD! The Pats RT is going to be a 3rd string guy as Onwenu and his backup (who stunk) are both out. Add in Sew at LG is also out and Trent Brown is playing hurt. (And on a play count) Oh ya and strange is also out and his back up is playing.. So on the line we have:

Starting Center Andrew’s, two back up Guatd, a 3rd string RT, and 1/2 time with Brown and half with his back-up at RT..  if Zappe is able finish the game I will be shocked behind this line.. I feel for OLCoach Klemm hasn’t had his starters pretty much all year and the 2 games he did they looked decent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

This is true! But the simple truth is the O is historically BAD! The Pats RT is going to be a 3rd string guy as Onwenu and his backup (who stunk) are both out. Add in Sew at LG is also out and Trent Brown is playing hurt. (And on a play count) Oh ya and strange is also out and his back up is playing.. So on the line we have:

Starting Center Andrew’s, two back up Guatd, a 3rd string RT, and 1/2 time with Brown and half with his back-up at RT..  if Zappe is able finish the game I will be shocked behind this line.. I feel for OLCoach Klemm hasn’t had his starters pretty much all year and the 2 games he did they looked decent.

If DaQuan Jones is out there this week (hopefully). This D-Line for Bill's would be hard to stop. Lots of injuries on our d-line as well. 

But with a Belichick defense always hard to beat. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Neo said:

Glad you asked. As I see it, and with great authority, I firmly believe.......oh wait. Informed you say?

Never mind :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Straight from Cheats Director of Disinformation (yes a step down from VP of Cheating, Filming and Dirty Tricks I know)

6 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Pretty sure ol Bill will have something up his sleeve for what is probably his last time coaching the Patriots against the Bills. Division rival game are always tougher.

He will …. But surely Josh Allen has got to step up in a must win game at home ..and get it done right? 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Which usually means the Bills defense will give up a season high in yards against and the score will be much closer than necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:23 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Worse than I thought.

Special teams is comprised of guys that by and large are bad at their primary positions, it is the red headed step child of every nfl team. 

On 12/28/2023 at 11:47 AM, Success said:

If the Pats started Zappe all season, they'd have at least 2-3 more wins, imo.

Jones might have more accuracy, but Zappe reminds me of someone like Heinicke.  He's more competitive, and fights harder.  He's also better at improvising and moving around the pocket.

Definitely fights harder. I have seen plays where Jones actually looks scared or even cowardly. What a terrible “leader”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Neo said:

Well speaking for myself, I'm leaning toward it being a good chance Bills win this one by double digits. With being at home and ready to hit them back from the tough loss few weeks back, I'd go with Bills winning big

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, Logic said:

If there was to be one thing that concerns me against the Pats, it's this:

The Bills have been mostly living off the run game lately. Their WRs have not been getting good separation, and they generally haven't been lighting it up through the air. 

The Pats, meanwhile, have a very good run defense, as you pointed out. If the Bills are unable to run the ball, and the pass game starts out slow -- as it is wont to do at times this year -- then this could be a closer and more anxiety-inducing game then it needs to be.

I still think the Bills ultimately find a way to take care of business at home, but I don't think it's going to be a 37-13 snoozefest or anything. I have the sneaking suspicion the game may be closer than Bills fans would prefer. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

The Bills winning 37-13 would be a snoozefest? That should be an adrenaline rush

14 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Does Belichick still think Mac is better for his “system” than Allen?

lol talk about something that got legs. Make one comment that BB wouldn’t have drafted Allen and people run like wild with it.  It wasn’t even that hot of a take, coming out of college Allen was a raw talent with a HUGE ceiling he had great Boom or Bust potential.. Mac (who was taken later in the draft than Allen) was the safe, traditional pocket passer who fit his system and from his Buddy’s program.   Oh and 20/20 hind site I don’t think he wanted Mac either. 

Had bad dream last night that the Bills lost on a last second FG.

James Cook dropped another pass and later got injured giving way to Fournette warming up on the exercise bike to come into the game.

Was relieved when I woke up and realized it was Saturday and not Monday 😂

• Shocked 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Whites Bay said:

Just had the NWS site up, so I plugged in Orchard Park.

"Sunday: A chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. West wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%"

72 hours out, so it'll change a little - but not much.  Start to lean on the run game in the second half.

Just bumping the post.  Less than 24 hours out, from the NWS for Orchard Park:

"Rain, possibly mixed with snow showers, mainly after 3pm. High near 38. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible."

Just now, Whites Bay said:

Just bumping the post.  Less than 24 hours out, from the NWS for Orchard Park:

"Rain, possibly mixed with snow showers, mainly after 3pm. High near 38. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible."

Good football weather.  Wind is much worse than precipitation.  

On 12/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Worse than I thought.

another terrible day for the Bills special teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.