Bass’ and Martin’s Poor Performance

VaMilBill

17 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I think at this point we can all agree that our ST performance has been mediocre across the board. It lost us the game against the Jets, Broncos and gave up a huge return today against the Chiefs. 

Contributing to that is our kicking games. Sam Martin is averaging 44 YPP which is ranked at 32. Not good. The amount of times he’s had short punts or just not a lot of hang time this year seems countless. 

Tyler Bass is also not Bass-O-Matic. He’s got a 80% kicking average which is ranked 29th in the league. He’s missed some important kicks and to me he has been making it look pretty difficult. He also doesn’t seem to have the leg and I think it’s pretty apparent based on McD not trusting him. The amount of times we’ve punted from the opponents 40 this year seems like it’s our new norm. It makes me envious seeing the eagles kicker kick a 59 yard kick to tie the game in the rain. Or the Dallas kicker nail a 60 yarder tonight.

I think Bass is having some mental issues and probably needs to be replaced next year. I have little faith in him if he is kicking with the game on the line. 

Thry are responsible for thr OT loss to the jets because of a punt return?

Denver, philly, snd New England scoring game winning/ tying drives under 2 minutes left in the game.

guess we just blame Tre for getting injured too?

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Thry are responsible for thr OT loss to the jets because of a punt return?

Denver, philly, snd New England scoring game winning/ tying drives under 2 minutes left in the game.

guess we just blame Tre for getting injured too?

Sorry. Not the jets.  Meant to say Pats

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I take back every bad thing I said about Martin. He was incredible with 3 punts inside the 5? 

Without him I think we lose the game.

Agreed. He’s been much better these last four or five weeks. He’s really helped us win two games in that timespan. Hopefully he keeps it up

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Martin is fine.  The least of this team’s problems.  If you complain about the punter a lot, your Offense is the real problem….

Agreed.  If you rely on your kicking game as much as we have been lately, eventually you’re gonna get burned

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ryan Simpsons said:

our special teams this year is bad. Giving up a TD on the opening drive. Bass missing some bad kicks and Martin stinking a bit punting deserves some changes next year in the special teams department

No credit for the GREAT job Martin did punting yesterday?

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

No credit for the GREAT job Martin did punting yesterday?

Martin did have a clutch punt yesterday but one punt doesn't magically vault you out of the 31st ranked net punter.  The biggest fail of our ST unit is probably in the tackling and blocking of our punt/KO units.  I can't watch Matakevich and his 5.1 speed run anymore. I still think we'll upgrade punter next year.

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Martin did have a clutch punt yesterday but one punt doesn't magically vault you out of the 31st ranked net punter.  The biggest fail of our ST unit is probably in the tackling and blocking of our punt/KO units.  I can't watch Matakevich and his 5.1 speed run anymore. I still think we'll upgrade punter next year.

Is the problem wkth the Punter or the coverage teams?  You seem to think it is latter but still asking for an upgrade at the Punting position

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Is the problem wkth the Punter or the coverage teams?  You seem to think it is latter but still asking for an upgrade at the Punting position

You're right. The #1 problem is our inability to tackle and block. Name me one big return we've had all year. And yes we still need a better punter.

On 1/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

A clutch punt?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

A clutch punt?

Yea our final punt where we downed it at the 3 and NE couldn’t do anything backed up to their own end zone and went 3 and out.  If a punt can’t even qualify as clutch to some people y’all aren’t taking special teams seriously enough 😂

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/11/2023 at 12:10 AM, VaMilBill said:

Contributing to that is our kicking games. Sam Martin is averaging 44 YPP which is ranked at 32. Not good. The amount of times he’s had short punts or just not a lot of hang time this year seems countless. 

AFC Special Teams Player of the month.  I guess he needs to be Special Teams Player of the year to satisfy you. 

While there are a lot of actors involved, including the punter, having an average starting position after a punt at the 19, means a lot of long fields for your opponents.  Bills defense only gave up 8 TD's in 5 games - that will win a lot of games.

Yeah Martin has played well the last few games.

I'm pretty worried about Bass though. We haven't even attempted a 50+ yard field goal in 11 games. We have either went for it, or punted, from our 35+ yard line several times. I don't know if they have lost faith in Bass or what.

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah Martin has played well the last few games.

I'm pretty worried about Bass though. We haven't even attempted a 50+ yard field goal in 11 games. We have either went for it, or punted, from our 35+ yard line several times. I don't know if they have lost faith in Bass or what.

Not kicking very long field goals in poor weather conditions and being aggressive will serve us well. Having Joe Brady as OC instead of Ken Dorsey is huge...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

AFC Special Teams Player of the month.  I guess he needs to be Special Teams Player of the year to satisfy you. 

I mean this post was written after the chiefs game based on a trend of the entire season at that point in time. Of course Sam Martin had played well the last four games. I’ll admit it. But he was bad for the first 13 games of the season outside of the first Miami matchup. 

And Bass is another matter. I feel like McD does not have confidence in him at all and that scares me. Bass has also had a pretty poor season not just by his standards, but all kicker standards. 

I think you need to understand the context of when items are written. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.