Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Mularkey left in significant part because his kids were treated like crap at school because of their dad.  Not cool. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard stories about that....they were all true?

I hate to say it, but that is too many people in Buffalo. Insecurity around outsiders and trying to cut them down to size. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard stories about that....they were all true?

From what I understand he had a son who was horribly bullied at OP High School.  Times are different and I’d like to think that wouldn’t fly now.  But I never would put up with that ess either if I was him.  Life is too fragile and too short. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

You want your team president to be detail-oriented, not banging the staff, and have enough smarts to get stuff done.  Like the new stadium that already has an estimated $300m in overage costs.  Nobody cares about idiotic stories and style points in that context.  He really is the perfect type of person for that role. 

the payroll will run wild with additional bodies on the field at key moments 

I don’t think the detail oriented piece is as rock steady as you do 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yea you want your team president to be talking about 9/11 hijackers as a positive example while playing style police with adult men  

in the state of new york....like really DUMB / idiot thinking (which i believe) OR complete sociopath (i dont believe)

This is really starting to go into a dark territory with the 9/11 stuff. Not due to what McD said with his dopey story but with the fact that its now being picked up in the national press and misconstrued. Say what you will about McD's game management and whether or not hes a lousy head coach. There has been nothing to indicate that hes a bad man. And thats how hes being portrayed in the national media now and for what? He told a weird, awkward story to try and motivate his football team? Its just so wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RkFast said:

This is really starting to go into a dark territory with the 9/11 stuff. Not due to what McD said with his dopey story but with the fact that its now being picked up in the national press and misconstrued. Say what you will about McD's game management and whether or not hes a lousy head coach. There has been nothing to indicate that hes a bad man. And thats how hes being portrayed in the national media now and for what? He told a weird, awkward story to try and motivate his football team? Its just so wrong. 

There's blood in the water and they have hours of content to fill. Trust me. McAfee and Cowherd will get at least 2 segments on this tomorrow. Dunne will be the hottest interview for a few days. It's just how the content machine works. 

• Like (+1) 3

This one is funny:

"Open up the Buffalo Bills media guide from the year McDermott took over, turn to the bio on the new coach in charge and you’ll find a Q&A breakout box. A fun way for people to get to know the coach. McDermott is asked for his favorite TV show (“Monday Night Football”), the person who has influenced him the most (“Jesus Christ”), favorite movie (“Vision Quest”), favorite vacation spot (“Kiawah Island”) and his favorite musical artist (“Michael Jackson”) amongst other inquiries.

The final question is the most interesting. Right next to a picture of a young McDermott pinning down a competitor on the wrestling mat, he’s asked for his pet peeve.

His answer: “Fake people.”"

Michael Jackson??? Lol.

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They can mutually part ways, I think it’s more likely than him up and quitting. 

That's different.  That suggests some sort of settlement where McDermott walks away, gets paid some amount of $, and is free to pursue other opportunities...it's really more of firing than anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

In India, they say when a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees are pockets.  In science, it's called confirmation bias.  We tend to see what we're looking for.

I never suggested Dunne is lying.  I think, maybe, Dunne doesn't like McD and so he looks for disgruntled ex-Bills employees to agree with him.  And that's what he prints.  I don't think he made up a single quote.  I don't think he said a single thing he doesn't believe to be true.  I just think that, maybe, he's wrong.  

I think a pro-McD journalist could write a very different article with lots of true quotes about how great McD is.  

If I was Terry, I wouldn't read this board or Tyler's article.  I'd talk to Beane, the subordinate coaches, and the players.  I'd try to get a good 360-degree of McD from the people who matter.  

Do you think if he interviewed the currently employed they would be in a position to be honest? I understand interviewing former employees will produce a certain amount of negativity at times but I would also argue that it should produce some balance. How you end relationships and how those people feel after can say a lot about the quality of those relationships. I have had to let go a lot of people as I'm sure others have here. Some don't care for me and the situation was limited in how I could impact that, but certainly a huge % would still say at least neutral if not positive things. How you arrive at those outcomes and how you communicate is what is required to be a good leader with effective communication. If McD has people 20+ people waiting to BBQ him that might say more than you're giving it credit for about the type of relationships he had. 

Edited by Mikie2times

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There are plenty of examples that he could have used that would have been better.  Especially since it's not an enemy.

For instance, the SEAL Team 6 who had their helicopter crash and Bin Laden's compound.  They didn't miss a beat, infiltrated, accomplished their goal and then went home.

Some would argue that the Navy SEALs aren't all that impressive when you consider the facts...

Counterpoint: 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0BSv5ISOSW/

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, much of what is in Dunne's piece has been obvious for a while.  

But as you say, if he truly is the guy portrayed in this article, even half of it as someone else said, this situation is going to go from bad to worse fairly quickly.  

Once stuff like this gets out and people, no doubt including players and coaches, talk, it's just a matter of time.  As has been my contention all along, McD's slowly hanging himself after setting the scenario for it by giving himself all the rope he needs.  You didn't do it.  I didn't do it.  We're irrelevant in the scenario.  He's doing it to himself.  

When you preach character, and things like "The Process" but never define it, or "Complimentary Football" but never define it, etc., and things go south because of your own hypocrisy, people notice, whether they be players, coaches, fans, media, etc.  

I mean keeping Cook off the field for performance reasons, but applauding and fully standing behind Dorsey after mega failure, ... that sends a message whether he wants it to be sent or not.  

The players will run through a wall for Allen, would they do it for McD?  

Maybe that's what Diggs' beef was all about.  

One of the biggest things being mentioned in this thread, although not taking up much space, is that McD's assistants are all reliant upon him for their jobs, so they're unlikely to speak out.  If they were all that great, then they wouldn't have trouble finding jobs elsewhere.  It's quite possible that they're not, which is why they're so supportive.  

We don't have a single coach on this staff that has distinguished himself in any significant way in the NFL.  Not one.  

That comes back to McD.  

At some point, he won’t be able to get good assistants if he is known for this.  Who’d want to subject themselves to it?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Things we know about Sean

• He is not an offensive mind
  • He is not the most skilled at relating to players
  • He does not make good decisions late in games
  • He has struggled to maintain coordinators
  • He has not been able to parlay regular season success into postseason success

I don't need all these by any stretch. But I have a hard time thinking of any Super Bowl head coach has all this against him and in my mind, these are not really debatable things. You don't need this article to land on any of the above. 

I hate to be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills. He better win right away.

Similar conversations were had about the most recent successful but not a champion Lindy Ruff. I said back then once you fire Ruff we’ll go through a new head coach every 3 years. I was wrong, it was less than every 3.

The next coach will have unrealistic expectations from the start. Super Bowl or your fired.

McDermott out here answering questions about 9/11 the day after answering questions about our pass rusher being arrested…

We’re either going to get destroyed by KC or absolutely blow the doors off them.  

This insanity lends myself to believe there are no other options on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

McDermott out here answering questions about 9/11 the day after answering questions about our pass rusher being arrested…

We’re either going to get destroyed by KC or absolutely blow the doors off them.  

One silver lining about these embarrassing past few days is that it may give Pegula the cover he needs to make a change. The national media has turned against McDermott.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, no I am not.  You are either thinking about someone else or misremembering whatever conversation you are alluding to.  In fact, I have remained objective on McD, including being critical of his bad decisions when they happen.  But you see, the anit-McD crowd doesn't see it that way...they only see 2 categories:  McD hate or McD apologists.  There is no room for the anti-McD crowd to allow for anyone to remain objective about McD.  

McD is a good football coach, and its not remotely debatable.  His record and turning an inept franchise around speaks for itself and its actually historically good.  However, that also does not mean his job should be safe or he is the right guy to get the Bills to the next level.  So its possible to look at McD and feel like this is a good coach and also feel he isn't untouchable and that his job needs to be evaluated just like anyone else.  

I have said for weeks now that if we miss the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen then he should be fired.  I even started a thread with a poll to examine what outcomes could actually save his job because it was trending so much towards him not being back. 

What I have said over and over again all season, last season, this off season is that DORSEY is a PROBLEM.  And he was, clearly.  I mean had this version of the offense under Brady been here all season, we would be 11-1 right now instead of 6-6 with the only loss being Philly.  We wouldn't have lost to the Jets, Jags, Pats, Bengals or Broncos had this version of the offense been here.  

So should McD right now be fired...NO.  

Should he be if we miss the playoffs...YES.  

Should he be safe if we just make the playoffs...NO (but probably is).

If the Bills run the table after making the change to Dorsey, then it almost assures McD is safe and Dorsey was the problem...and make no mistake about it, this team had multiple problems, but hands down Dorsey was the biggest one of them all and most impactful in our overall record.  But if we run the table and make the playoffs, then how this team performs in the post season should still VERY MUCH be part of the conversation around McD and whether or not his job is safe or if he should go.  Although, according to some reports out there it doesn't sound like his job would be in jeopardy in that case, but that can all change with a bad performance.  

That is being objective about McD.  And it is perfectly OK to personally for you to have your own mind made up that you want a change, no problem with that.  But don't lump people in who still have an objective view point as if we are also some McD apologist, because that is just lazy and inaccurate.  

I don't agree he's a good coach...but even if you believe that, you are still in excuse-making mode for McD. 

You can literally go back and re-read the post I responded to and this one, you are flip-flopping...you are acknowledging that he's not a good game manager and his late-game blunders this year, even though they have been going on for YEARS now and this is no different than any of them. His QB just hasn't been elite enough to bail him out this time and so he's getting exposed for who he has always been. 

You did in the post that I responded to say that you think McD should be fired if we don't make the playoffs...but if we make the playoffs again, it doesn't change that he's still a poor game manager, has no composure whatsoever late in games, and after 7 years on the job is STILL not prepared for late game strategy. All of that has to do with work ethic. He doesn't have it. That does not change if we simply make the playoffs. 

Basically, if 17 bails him out once again...he should stay? You changed the stance in the post you responded to me with saying no he shouldn't be here if we just make the playoffs, which that makes it more rational. 

But then you're going back to Dorsey being "the" problem, which I'm sure is how you scapegoated Frazier exactly the same way for years. Dorsey was "a" problem. McD is the one who hires these coordinators and lets them stay, and they operate through his philosophy. He is the Head Coach, this is something you just don't seem to be able to grasp. He IS responsible. Yes, we could have been much better with Brady running the offense for the whole year...WHO'S FAULT IS THAT???

And lets say we run the table and make the playoffs and McD chokes again as usual and we bring him back...if we have a good season next year with Brady, he's probably going to be in talks for a head coaching job, right? And if he gets poached, we're back in the same boat of hoping and praying McD picks a good OC while still shouldering his horrific game management and late game failures? In what world is this a good plan?

It's this simple...we are not going to win a SB with a coach of McD's caliber, not now or ever. At best he's a major obstacle we would have to overcome to do it, at worst....we know what's at worst. Why do that to ourselves? 

He really should be gone no matter what if you are evaluating him for himself, not based on the way he might get bailed out once again for "just enough" results. The apologists have an inability to evaluate him for himself, not whether the QB bails him out or not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

From what I understand he had a son who was horribly bullied at OP High School.  Times are different and I’d like to think that wouldn’t fly now.  But I never would put up with that ess either if I was him.  Life is too fragile and too short. 

To be fair tons of kids are bullied no matter what your last name is

Doesn't make it right but I guarantee there was a hundred other kids at orchard Park getting bullied 

Every single professional coach who has a child whether they're a football coach or basketball coach or a hockey coach etc

Has to deal with stuff like that

You don't think Nate hackett's kids probably get roasted in New York City because how inept his dad is?

They are probably massive targets

It's not just a buffalo thing

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It's definitely a crossroads game...win and there's real chance to run the table and make noise in the playoffs.  Lose and I think the wheels come off.  If the latter happens, I don't think McDermott is safe, no matter what Tim Graham says.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair tons of kids are bullied no matter what your last name is

Doesn't make it right but I guarantee there was a hundred other kids at orchard Park getting bullied 

Every single professional coach who has a child whether they're a football coach or basketball coach or a hockey coach etc

Has to deal with stuff like that

You don't think Nate hackett's kids probably get roasted in New York City because how inept his dad is?

They are probably massive targets

It's not just a buffalo thing

If I was an NFL coach, I would never send my kids to the local public high school. Being the coach's kid in HS is like being a high-profile prisoner. Dudes are going to try to take you down to score points on the yard.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

If I was an NFL coach, I would never send my kids to the local public high school. Being the coach's kid in HS is like being a high-profile prisoner. Dudes are going to try to take you down to score points on the yard.

That's the other thing a public high school?!

Kid could be at Nichols

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.