Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ok.. so the Bills can:

Read the police report

Talk to Von / he’ll deny it

Talk to the GF / she’ll deny it

Then what…

Speak with police and medical staff that was on scene, if they can. Even if a DV victim is changing her story, doesn’t mean it was a lie. Remember, there is a court document stating her injuries. That alone is likely enough. 

• Agree 1

After sleeping on it; i really don’t care if he did it or not. He’s a non-factor on the field and shouldn’t be on the team. He’s had 1 tackle, Gabe Davis has 3

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was OBL not on because of this yesterday?  I tuned into WGR around 1 after I heard the news, and a couple of the “interns” were on the air instead. 

I really want to hear the spin Brown & Tasker put on the situation. 

They are on vacation because of the Bye

Edited by uticaclub
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As the usual TBD suspects get their pitchforks and torches ready to go after yet another woman, I'll quote another reply I saw elsewhere that best articulates a good perspective to keep here...

"Its worth putting aside some disbelief for a moment to also think about how abusive relationships work. As a woman, particularly a pregnant one who is probably feeling extra vulnerable, there is always a lot of pressure to comply, or not report, or to smooth things over to avoid futher conflict and violence.

Imagine you have just seen a man the size of Von Miller angry enough to strike you, he is thousands of times richer and more powerful than you, more or less your entire well being relies on him at this point, and he or his lawyers just told you in very unpleasant terms your call to the police may have just cost him tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money. Money that would have gone to you and your child, but maybe more scary money that the father of your child who already assaulted you now feels like you cost him.

Is this a highly toxic relationship? Probably. But please don't underestimate the pressure to capitulate in a situation like this, and try and have a little grace in your heart for this likely very scared and confused woman."

That is exceptionally well stated. Thank you for this.

• Like (+1) 1

One way or another, I think this spells the end for Von. He's been a JAG on the field, and now he's repeating a previous pattern of behavior off of it. Whether he's suspended by the league or not, I expect him to never see the field for the Bills again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

One way or another, I think this spells the end for Von. He's been a JAG on the field, and now he's repeating a previous pattern of behavior off of it. Whether he's suspended by the league or not, I expect him to never see the field for the Bills again. 

He's been worse than a JAG.  150 some snaps and only 2 tackles.  

I've said this before. It's understandable, injuries can be really difficult to come back from. What isn't okay is that the coaching staff keeps throwing him out there despite the extreme lack in production, that's insanity to me.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Von was very good until he tore his acl.   Every big signing has risks 

It’s funny how the narrative is that signing Von was a terrible move.  Everyone was so excited when they made the move and into the season it seemed to pay off.  

Not just from a sack percentage but Von helped the defense get good pressure with rushers.  Once he was hurt it was a different story.  

I’m in the camp that you can’t really forecast injuries.  Just because he blew an ACL earlier does not mean it will happen again. Brady blew his ACL once and was fine playing into his mid 40’s.  

Now since we lost Von Miller and he’s struggled to recover this season, everyone is saying what a bad deal it’s been.  And for the most part it has but it’s more of a result of injuries than anything else

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As the usual TBD suspects get their pitchforks and torches ready to go after yet another woman, I'll quote another reply I saw elsewhere that best articulates a good perspective to keep here...

"Its worth putting aside some disbelief for a moment to also think about how abusive relationships work. As a woman, particularly a pregnant one who is probably feeling extra vulnerable, there is always a lot of pressure to comply, or not report, or to smooth things over to avoid futher conflict and violence.

Imagine you have just seen a man the size of Von Miller angry enough to strike you, he is thousands of times richer and more powerful than you, more or less your entire well being relies on him at this point, and he or his lawyers just told you in very unpleasant terms your call to the police may have just cost him tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money. Money that would have gone to you and your child, but maybe more scary money that the father of your child who already assaulted you now feels like you cost him.

Is this a highly toxic relationship? Probably. But please don't underestimate the pressure to capitulate in a situation like this, and try and have a little grace in your heart for this likely very scared and confused woman."

Well said. Von is very likely her livelihood and financial security. That’s a very toxic dynamic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Speak with police and medical staff that was on scene, if they can. Even if a DV victim is changing her story, doesn’t mean it was a lie. Remember, there is a court document stating her injuries. That alone is likely enough. 

I'm curious if Texas is one of those states where they can opt to prosecute w/o the victim filing charges?

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s funny how the narrative is that signing Von was a terrible move.  Everyone was so excited when they made the move and into the season it seemed to pay off.  

Not just from a sack percentage but Von helped the defense get good pressure with rushers.  Once he was hurt it was a different story.  

I’m in the camp that you can’t really forecast injuries.  Just because he blew an ACL earlier does not mean it will happen again. Brady blew his ACL once and was fine playing into his mid 40’s.  

Now since we lost Von Miller and he’s struggled to recover this season, everyone is saying what a bad deal it’s been.  And for the most part it has but it’s more of a result of injuries than anything else

Yes. Last year he made a massive impact in the Rams, Titans, Ravens, Jets and Chiefs game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yes. Last year he made a massive impact in the Rams, Titans, Ravens, Jets and Chiefs game

I believe he sacked Mahomes on 3rd down late to get the ball back.  He was literally the “closer” they signed him to be…then he got hurt

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was OBL not on because of this yesterday?  I tuned into WGR around 1 after I heard the news, and a couple of the “interns” were on the air instead. 

I really want to hear the spin Brown & Tasker put on the situation. 

They were being grilled by Buffalo Bills Security staff over what they knew about the leak to Graham at 'The Athletic'. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well said

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Why do so many people keep posting this? Plenty of people weren't happy with the signing the day it happened. A 32 year old injury prone defensive end signing a $100+ million dollar contract did not look like a good idea at the time. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

were they over 18? the kids who killed one of my heifers are under 18 and will not face felony animal cruelty because they're 17. they'll get nothing.

prosecutors avoid a lot of charges against some folks because it causes disparity amongst crime rates. no joke.

Yes, they were all around 24.  Pretty unbelievable.   His name is Tyshie Broome if you would be interested in looking up the story on the incident. Been arrested 14 times prior, etc.  

They'll continue to let him out until he kills somebody. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Yes, they were all around 24.  Pretty unbelievable.   His name is Tyshie Broome if you would be interested in looking up the story on the incident. Been arrested 14 times prior, etc.  

They'll continue to let him out until he kills somebody. 

That guy is famous, why do they keep letting him out?

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

I don't think the bills will release him.  Correct me if I'm wrong but our cap hit will be even more if we release him. And then there's the possibility that some afc contender picks him up for cheap. I don't think he'll play over the next two years but I also don't think they'll cut him.

Edited by TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th

35 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Very well said.  Thank you for putting this in here.

This woman has apparently been with Von for 7 years and has other children with him.  It may be they don't have a formal legal child support arrangement - her entire income and ability to support herself and the other children may depend upon his good will to keep paying her.  Meanwhile Von can afford much better lawyers and accountants and could delay child support hearings for months or years, or fail to pay for months or years with minimal consequences to himself in many cases.

It's very common (this is from LEO friends and someone who works with DV shelters) that financial dependence is a huge factor for people with much more typical working-folks incomes.  The woman is often a SAHM caring for multiple small children.  Partners who are prone to DV are usually high-control in other aspects of the relationship, and asking someone to quit their job and stay home to care for children, "I'll take care of you" financially, is a common way to render someone totally dependent on the high-control partner and thus vulnerable to abuse. 

Then if there's a DV incident, immediately afterwards the high-control partner expresses remorse, promises change, then starts in with guilt - "sweetums, you know what will happen if you go forward with these charges, I'll lose my job, I won't be able to support you and the kids, how can you do this me? to our babies?". 

There are published studies of these patterns based on jailhouse visit recordings and interviews.

2023 paper:  53% of DV cases, the victim recants and stops cooperating.  Many of these are cases with physical evidence and witnesses, but the prosecutor doesn't usually bring charges if the victim won't cooperate.  It's one reason why most LEO hate DV calls with a passion, in many cases it's very clear what's happening but they're volatile situations where anything can happen (including the officers being shot at) and even when it's clear to everyone what's really going on and an arrest is made, they very rarely result in charges and even less often in conviction.  So it's personal risk and a lot of paperwork for nothing and a huge source of frustration.

Note: I'm not saying that Von Miller is guilty, or that the situation happened as described in the arrest warrant.  I'm just saying that the woman recanting and saying it's all a big misunderstanding now, doesn't mean that he isn't, or that it didn't.  It's more common than not in these situations.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Wow that’s crazy. Hope your son is ok

Yeah he's a resilient young man and hasn't had any residual effects from it.  He backed up about 2 feet because his girlfriend was in the passenger seat.  Perp didn't know that and pointed the gun at her too, telling her to get the F out.  I was out of town, so my wife was engaging. 

They (police) actually showed her the video.  That messed her up for a while,  seeing a gun pointed at your child's forehead.  I wish they wouldn't have. 

I'm thankful though, because they often shoot now.  I'm so glad my son is alive. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Irv said:

McDermott should be fired over this whole situation.  

😛This may be the first thread in 4 weeks that firing McD isn't inserted in the first 2 pages and it took over 40!

Edited by stevewin

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

You'd be right if it got to that point. The SRO didn't even make a report (I think), I don't think he was ever arrested. 

And I understand why he didn't, but in terms of "best practices", he absolutely should have done so. 
https://ndaa.org/wp-content/uploads/NDAA-DV-White-Paper-FINAL-revised-June-23-2020-1.pdf

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who has their pitchforks out for her?  

17 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

I'm confused and not seeing how my comment aligns to your statement

We can surely agree to disagree - all I'm really saying they make decisions to play a game and get paid well - they do it by choice - to clarify that is the ONLy in any of the post that I'm commenting on

If someone makes a choice to be a bullfighter and then gets gored I don't feel bad for them either- 

Unless your EMT /Fire fighter/police officer or Veteran ( no disrespect to anyone true hero I accidentally left out) I say choose your rate choose your fate

Ummm...sure?

I think you have me confused with someone else.  I didn't reply to a comment of yours I believe....unless I'm mistaken.

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This woman has apparently been with Von for 7 years and has other children with him.  It may be they don't have a formal legal child support arrangement - her entire income and ability to support herself and the other children may depend upon his good will to keep paying her.  Meanwhile Von can afford much better lawyers and accountants and could delay child support hearings for months or years, or fail to pay for months or years with minimal consequences to himself in many cases.

It's very common (this is from LEO friends and someone who works with DV shelters) that financial dependence is a huge factor for people with much more typical working-folks incomes.  The woman is often a SAHM caring for multiple small children.  Partners who are prone to DV are usually high-control in other aspects of the relationship, and asking someone to quit their job and stay home to care for children, "I'll take care of you" financially, is a common way to render someone totally dependent on the high-control partner and thus vulnerable to abuse. 

Then if there's a DV incident, immediately afterwards the high-control partner expresses remorse, promises change, then starts in with guilt - "sweetums, you know what will happen if you go forward with these charges, I'll lose my job, I won't be able to support you and the kids, how can you do this me? to our babies?". 

There are published studies of these patterns based on jailhouse visit recordings and interviews.

2023 paper:  53% of DV cases, the victim recants and stops cooperating.  Many of these are cases with physical evidence and witnesses, but the prosecutor doesn't usually bring charges if the victim won't cooperate.  It's one reason why most LEO hate DV calls with a passion, in many cases it's very clear what's happening but they're volatile situations where anything can happen (including the officers being shot at) and even when it's clear to everyone what's really going on and an arrest is made, they very rarely result in charges and even less often in conviction.  So it's personal risk and a lot of paperwork for nothing and a huge source of frustration.

Note: I'm not saying that Von Miller is guilty, or that the situation happened as described in the arrest warrant.  I'm just saying that the woman recanting and saying it's all a big misunderstanding now, doesn't mean that he isn't, or that it didn't.  It's more common than not in these situations.

All of this is true.  I’ll add an observation: for her to contact the police suggests to me that she probably was fed up with what I will guess is a pattern of this behavior.  It’s not uncommon in a situation that similar to what we appear to have before us for the emergency call to be made by a victim who has endured a pattern of abuse and who makes the call because she (or he, occasionally) has reached her tipping point.   

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I honesty admire your post- very well written - I have seen a lot in my years and abuse towards anyone is extremely troubling to me- unless you have experienced situations first hand its very difficult to gauge impact it has on you long term and is extremely difficult to get away from- it's even more troubling as the amount of people try and victim blame- very reactive society we live in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

really? Then why are Tyreek and others taking the field? 

tyreek was too fast for charges.

edit... not seriously, tyreek didn't assault a woman. and #metoo made women extra special

Edited by boyst
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, PBF81 said:

IMO a full week off given the state of play of this team, yes, was too much.

They have months on end and tons of money to travel the world, after our season ends, which as a direct result of the state of play of this team will likely be in just over five weeks from now. 

Who cares what other teams do.  Do you?

Otherwise, sorry that you disagree with me.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who cares what other teams do?  I care.  You really do want to be the only team that practices on bye weeks.  The players fought hard in the last CBA to have practice and contact reduced, you know, especially since another game was added in the regular season the last few years.  But lets punish our players for being 6-6 and tell them they have to stay and practice on their bye week like their a 1980's high school football team.

Buffalo will surely be desired destination for decent FA's.  

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

According to the story: Thursday via text message, the woman wrote, "We’re fine. Things were blown way out of context. This is actually outrageous!"

"No one assaulted anyone," she texted. "This is insane. And sad."  She described the conflict as a "verbal disagreement" and "huge misunderstanding."

The problem is she called the police, they responded, a compliant was filed, and an arrest warrant was issued.  From reports there was physical evidence, things broken and bruises on her body at the scene of the altercation which the police would have observed and documented and collected. 

So saying nothing happened at this point after what I understand was an official complaint leaves the woman open to charges of filing a false police report.  It would be another story if she just wanted to drop the charges but that would imply something did happen and leave Miller subject to potential disciplinary action from the Bills and the NFL regardless of whether or not she dropped the charges.

She recorded the altercation and gave it to the police. This is stated in most articles. It was part of the reason they issued an arrest warrant for Miller. There is no recanting.

Texas is also a "No Drop" state. Meaning that the woman cannot drop the charges, only the prosecutor/DA can. The DA had a recording and an arrest warrant was issued. There is absolutely zero, none, zilch, maybe even a negative infinity chance this woman gets charged with a false police report....

The league will have to pull some strings and Von will likely have to let some serious money go to make this one go away. It is unfortunate for domestic abuse victims everywhere, but that is my expectations (unfortunately). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah because isn’t it social justice what people complain about being too soft on crime? 

but instant reactions to any story without the full facts is very dumb. 

CB, @Bob Jones posted facts in the post above yours that seem pretty "full" to me. Von choked her, she bruised up, and as I said in an earlier post, women's bruises get worse on the following day. They also appear to have at least some controversial history. 

I am not against due process. Not at all  but I feel OK about judging Miller as a scumbag with fading skills. It would be nice to cut him and not get hurt so much by the salary cap hit.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Well, he's already been arrested so this aged poorly. 

He wasn't just arrested based on a police report. The woman recorded the altercation and that was a part of why an arrest warrant was issued. (In addition to bruising, bleeding and missing hair) Von's team is working diligently to make this one go away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.