The Bottom Line IS The Players !!

T master

It all comes down to the players - The Players . 

I didn't see McD miss 1 kick - drop one pass - run a bad route, miss a interception, miss a battled ball, or throw a bad pass but the players did !! 

Then add on top of that all the penalties . In the first half was like 9 penalties (what was the over all total) that is also another not McD thing he's not the one making or telling these players to hold or jumped we know they can do it they've played clean before .

If Bass hits both of those field goals its a different game - If Cook catches that pass in the FIRST quarter with nothing but green grass in front of him different game - If Gabe runs or Josh Throws the right route in the forth quarter different game that in and of it's self is 20 points right ? And that's individually not the total of points missed .

At the end of the day in total points being 20 (Missed) + 34 (Made) = 54 = Bills Win !! Even in  any of the short comings as far as 20 seconds at the end of the half even though that should have happened it did't lose the game for them .

In a game like this one against a team like the Eagles given their strengths the Bills need to play mistake free football and they didn't !! No matter what is taught or gone over during the week of practice if the players don't make it happen how does the HC change that ?

Fines, push ups, run around the track 5 times, clean the toilets What ?? OR are you the guy/HC that just jumps their ass - but you can't do that today can you that's just inappropriate !! 

There are a bunch of those here that constantly call for McD's head and feel justified in doing so & will probably have some responses that say as much but you can call a perfect game but if the players miss plays it's on them . 

What was the 1 - ONE,  legit HC ing decision or call in the Eagles game that McD specifically did or made that was the sole reason the Bills lost the game yesterday ?

If there is 1 solitary thing he did or even better multiple decisions he made that directly caused the loss then i will be with you to get rid of him . But given the outcome & what i've put down as far as mistakes that did lose the game those are ALL on the players it all comes down to them and That is the bottom line ...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 4

1 minute ago, T master said:

I didn't see McD miss 1 kick - drop one pass - run a bad route, miss a interception, miss a battled ball, or throw a bad pass but the players did !! 

Then add on top of that all the penalties . In the first half was like 9 penalties (what was the over all total) that is also another not McD thing he's not the one making or telling these players to hold or jumped we know they can do it they've played clean before .

If Bass hits both of those field goals its a different game - If Cook catches that pass in the FIRST quarter with nothing but green grass in front of him different game - If Gabe runs or Josh Throws the right route in the forth quarter different game that in and of it's self is 20 points right ? And that's individually not the total of points missed .

At the end of the day in total points being 20 (Missed) + 34 (Made) = 54 = Bills Win !! Even in  any of the short comings as far as 20 seconds at the end of the half even though that should have happened it did't lose the game for them .

In a game like this one against a team like the Eagles given their strengths the Bills need to play mistake free football and they didn't !! No matter what is taught or gone over during the week of practice if the players don't make it happen how does the HC change that ?

Fines, push ups, run around the track 5 times, clean the toilets What ?? OR are you the guy/HC that just jumps their ass - but you can't do that today can you that's just inappropriate !! 

There are a bunch of those here that constantly call for McD's head and feel justified in doing so & will probably have some responses that say as much but you can call a perfect game but if the players miss plays it's on them . 

What was the 1 - ONE,  legit HC ing decision or call in the Eagles game that McD specifically did or made that was the sole reason the Bills lost the game yesterday ?

If there is 1 solitary thing he did or even better multiple decisions he made that directly caused the loss then i will be with you to get rid of him . But given the outcome & what i've put down as far as mistakes that did lose the game those are ALL on the players it all comes down to them and That is the bottom line ...

Ok Mrs. McDermott...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Yes I agree but the Buffalo Bills players can’t overcome the coaching mistakes on almost a weekly basis now. Also Sean McDermott helped make the player decisions the Bills bought in on the roster so there is no way Sean McDermott should be here next season. Sean McDermott let go everyone else but himself no playoffs this season he should be fired in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

My retort to this was that 3 weeks ago Ken Dorsey was here and people like yourself we're making the same excuses for him. Well Dorsey isn't the one dropping passes, and Dorsey isn't the one turning the ball over, or allowing sacks. Two weeks later after being fired, the Bills have put up 32 and 34 points on two of the best defenses in the NFL. 

You could argue it was Dorsey's scheme and you could be right. It also could be that the coaches messages have gotten stale. That the team no longer believes in him which is leading to mental lapses when things don't go according to plan. I honestly think we have reached our mountain top with him and need another guy to take us over the top. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Dang where do you all come from?

you’re not watching the same thing I am

if you are you aren’t sure what your are seeing and it’s ok

Idk what you're watching but I agree with the main post. Play calling was fine and it wasn't McD fault. Yes there were some places where I probably would've gone with a different defense set up but other than that, OC play calling was good and it came down to some bad plays by the players and the refs brutally destroying us. No team in the NFL gets through a game with perfect play calling and perfect calls by the head coach. Crazy that people are blaming McD for the loss yesterday. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, T master said:

Sure - one game sure - but this isn’t the first failure - it’s over and over 

McD should have been fired after the 13 seconds to fail game

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

cool, ill bite. 

Yet again, mcdork gives the opposing team a free time out with the clock running during a mayday situation where the FG kicker and special teams have to RUSH onto the field and execute in a hurry up manner. 

This particular inexcusable time out was the aforementioned situation PLUS 60 EFFING YARDS ON WET GRASS. 

instead, mcdipshit decides to let them casually setup and because this franchise is wretched and cursed, of COURSE dude makes it with a linedrive curveball through the uprights. 

bills lose, in horrific fashion, for the 11th time during such circumstances under mcdermotts reign of ######ation. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

OP you are partially correct. McD called a good game in the first half. He even called a good D on the prayer that Hurts threw up and was caught for a TD. McD can't be faulted for Hyde and Poer not making the play. 

However the pattern is there and has been there for years. Even when healthy this defense got beat by the best QBs. Mcd pads his stats against garbage QBs and fails in the critical moments.

Offense put up 30+ on a top defense, in bad weather, on the road.

Our HC is a defensive guy, who is responsible for us allocating a ton on defense to get him a top tier DL and veterans on the back end that he wanted. 

Time and time again, the defense fails in big games, big moments and late game situations.  

We've sacrificed talent around Allen to fortify the defense.  We sacrificed signing a guy like Hopkins for Floyd and Poyer.  The defense lets us down time and time again.   

Our defensive minded HC lets us down, time and time again.   Season to season, ever since 13 seconds.  He's a choke artist who needs elite talent all over the field on defense, otherwise he can't overcome despite his background.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

cool, ill bite. 

Yet again, mcdork gives the opposing team a free time out with the clock running during a mayday situation where the FG kicker and special teams have to RUSH onto the field and execute in a hurry up manner.  

I agree that he should have saved the TOs for the 20 second run, but, the clock was stopped before that 59 yard FG because of a Philly incomplete pass, so Philly's FG unit did not have to do a Chinese Fire drill like in the Denver game.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

cool, ill bite. 

This particular inexcusable time out was the aforementioned situation PLUS 60 EFFING YARDS ON WET GRASS. 

instead, mcdipshit decides to let them casually setup and because this franchise is wretched and cursed, of COURSE dude makes it with a linedrive curveball through the uprights. 

bills lose, in horrific fashion, for the 11th time during such circumstances under mcdermotts reign of ######ation. 

If you're talking about he FG at the end, believe the clock was already stopped.

While I'm not absolving McD of all the issues, posts like this are comical in that people who call themselves fans and post all these facts, didn't even know the clock was stopped.

Do wonder about all the holding calls on both offense and defense.  Some of them by all players not just the Bills are so obvious, why are they doing it.  Is it that the players all know, officials allow holding, but just never sure how far they will allow it.  And varies so much from crew to crew and even play to play as to what the allowed level is at the moment.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I agree that he should have saved the TOs for the 20 second run, but, the clock was stopped before that 59 yard FG because of a Philly incomplete pass, so Philly's FG unit did not have to do a Chinese Fire drill like in the Denver game.

he did call another time out in an inopprtune time... and at this point, dont all the blunders just bleed together? 

Edited by DeltaDigital
  • Eyeroll 1

Sure the players have blame to carry as well. 

but a player error is common and something that has to be accounted for many times a game. 

McDermotts job is to put these players in a position to succeed and minimize those player errors. 

His mentality during these close games does the opposite. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If you're talking about he FG at the end, believe the clock was already stopped.

Do wonder about all the holding calls on both offense and defense.  Some of them by all players not just the Bills are so obvious, why are they doing it.  Is it that the players all know, officials allow holding, but just never sure how far they will allow it.  And varies so much from crew to crew and even play to play as to what the allowed level is at the moment.

ah, i stand corrected, but WHY give him another 30 seconds to get his head straight. so dumb. 

• Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, T master said:

Funny because the one consistent thing since McDermott came here is finding ways to lose to matter who the players are and he’s had some talented rosters. If you think this is a 1 year thing you are seriously blind. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

ah, i stand corrected, but WHY give him another 30 seconds to get his head straight. so dumb. 

Yeah but look at what happened in the Denver game.  Watched another game over the weekend, (may have been a college game) team lined up for FG just before ball was snapped, TO called, still snapped the ball kicker kicked it and made FG for practice.  Now kicks the 2nd one for real and misses so never know.  Granted in this case TO was called way prior.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

It was absolutely a scrambly setup still. Last play of the game FGs are almost always preceded by timeouts, so it's rare for them to have to run out and kick it in the 35 seconds of a play clock. Not a true "mayday," but the time McD gave them to settle and focus was unfathomably foolish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

If it’s all on the players then why did McDermott fire Dorsey?

I guess it’s only truly on the players when it’s defense and McDermott is the coach? It’s the players fault that they can’t stop anyone on defense when the game is on the line…no matter the quality of our opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, T master said:

I vote "jump their a$$"...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

You are right on bolded 100%. Here the thing with that, on the 2-3 yard pass our defender knocked the ball down for an incomplete pass which looked cool and perfectly defended in field.  What a smart coach does here is tells his players to take the 2-3 yard dump off and tackle the player in bounds when Philly has no TO's. There is your fire drill of a FG and most likely a miss. This is how smart coaches execute.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Funny because the one consistent thing since McDermott came here is finding ways to lose to matter who the players are and he’s had some talented rosters. If you think this is a 1 year thing you are seriously blind. 

Only time can and will tell ...

9 hours ago, T master said:

Unfortunately it’s the HC that is responsible for a team being buttoned up and disciplined. Sean is our DC as well as HC. He dumped Fra

What's really silly and borderline stupid is people don't realize a HC is responsible for bringing these "players who fail to execute" onto his team.  He's responsible for coaching these mistakes and penalties OUT of them.  His players are a direct reflection of him.  I remember many NE teams that had the fewest penalties because Belichick wouldn't tolerate it. Yet Sean keeps bringing back undisciplined players like Phillips.  Do the math Mrs. McD....

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, T master said:

If the Bills need to play mistake free football to win games then that's a problem and it's not the players, it's the coaches. 

The difference between the two teams yesterday involved coaching and how they were structured to best utilize their elite franchise QB.  In both cases the Eagles clearly came out on top here. If it wasn't apparent to people that the Eagles adjusted to McD's defense and then slaughtered it they were not watching.  The Bills offense kept them in the game because no matter how much you adjust to Allen it won't help you if he's playing well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Eastport bills said:

Unfortunately it’s the HC that is responsible for a team being buttoned up and disciplined. Sean is our DC as well as HC. He dumped Frazier to implement his own system. When our Defense allows Philly, Denver, G-Men,Jacksonville,, NE to march down the field to score at will with the game on the line it’s on the HC. You want to blame players and give Sean a pass that’s fine, but he has been here six years and it’s his  defense that has come up small every year. It’s his schemes that give up 30 points in the 2nd half where he drops 7 in coverage and they can’t tackle the QB on runs or stop wide open receivers. He’s a good leader but his team has underperformed and is playing losing football. It’s a bottom line business and you they can’t fire all the players.

10 hours ago, T master said:

Oh please.  You can't expect players to play mistake free football to win a football game.  No team or player plays mistake free.  People like you seen the Allen perfect game against NE and think thats the norm.  It isn't.  He's like the only one to do that ever.  Because people make mistakes.  Even the Eagles made mistakes and they are touted as the best team in football.  They made mistakes and they make mistakes every game.  Just like every other team in the league.

Then you are talking above about scoring 54 points.  WTF scores 54 points?  Especially against the Eagles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think most fans would agree: 

we've overvalued "running it back", with some players that know the system but their better days behind them OR flat out ignored upgrading: Poyer/Hyde/Shaq/Phillips/Settle meet criteria 1, Davis/Dodson criteria 2

I just don't know how much is on Beane vs Coach, with personnel decisions.  

IMHO, we aren't a SB team without getting better starters at: WR2, at least 1 safety/likely both, C, RT (I think Spencer has shown improvement, but we'd still be better off finding a longterm option that could bump to LT in a year or two)

Better depth at: Dt (especially 1 tech, but also another 3 tech rusher), LB, and safety.

Beane made some great decisions too, but his best one is a 1 yr guy in Floyd.  

Worth repeating that we've practically wasted a Rd1, two RD2, and 1 RD3 in his tenure...not to mention the FA $$$ on some key DL misses.

Said it yesterday, Beane got us Josh and Diggs.  Those are HUGE, and perhaps Kincaid turns into a star.  BUT, he's done a poor job complementing/surrounding Josh with a better supporting cast (OL/WR2).  Bunch of depth guys are helpful, but need more firepower.  On defense, even with "running it back", we had a very good unit until injuries hit.  Speed in secondary has been an issue for 3 years now, just getting worse. 

All that to say, I think any decision on MCD, should also include Beane. Package deal IMO, both are Tier 2 caliber.

10 hours ago, LetzGoBuffalo said:

Idk what you're watching but I agree with the main post. Play calling was fine and it wasn't McD fault. Yes there were some places where I probably would've gone with a different defense set up but other than that, OC play calling was good and it came down to some bad plays by the players and the refs brutally destroying us. No team in the NFL gets through a game with perfect play calling and perfect calls by the head coach. Crazy that people are blaming McD for the loss yesterday. 

Heres where I am at... it wasn't about just yesterday.  If that were just a game that we lost then I would probably be sitting here thinking "we took it to the best team in the league but came up just short."  I'd actually probably be feeling the "moral victories" way of feeling.  This isn't just one week though.  This is 7 seasons of data.  McD's team has folded these games over and over.  On top of that there is no room for error because we lost the ones we were supposed to win and squandered that part of the season.  Now every mistake is magnified because there is no longer room to make them.

Yes, coaching decisions did help lead to this loss. Electing to try and burn clock on our last TD drive.  There was over 7 minutes of clock left.  Had they not tried to burn it all... they would have scored, gave the ball back to the Eagles who then scored, and we would have had around 2 minutes of time left to be able to kick a field goal to win in regulation and burnt that entire clock on the way there.  He tried to burn the clock too soon because his defense wasn't making stops and he was scared.  Thats his mo at this point... to coach scared.

Fine, that coaching decision happened.  I said while it was happening that they would never burn enough clock.  There wasn't enough field to do so and still pick up yards needed to keep first downs going and also get the TD. but it happened anyways.  Lets move on.  The next thing he did was use two timeouts to try and stop a FG.  To try an ice a kicker for christ sake.  That ***** don't work.  There is no data to say it works.  Its old school mentality.  Even if a kick is missed you could say its because it was 59 yards, on the grass, in the rain.  Has nothing to do with "icing the kicker."  That took two timeouts away from our offense.  I get one of them for his defense to try and make sure they get the stop so they have to try the FG. So takes 1 away from the offense.

Now the offense has 20 seconds and 1 timeout.  He decides to kneel the ball.  The fact that he used the timeouts before then tells me he had already decided to kneel the ball or he is stupid.  I'll take Josh Allen with the ball and two timeouts over "icing the kicker" any day, any game, anytime.  I still try with Josh Allen with 20 seconds and 1 timeout.  Im not conceeding anything with this man at QB.  He already did this against Detroit just last year.  But McD kneeled the ball.  Why?  Because he was scared.  The guy hasn't learned anything about 13 seconds but somehow he learned to be scared.  That Denver game Josh threw an int on a hail mary.  Thats probably what this coach was worried about.  He played scared he played to not lose.  We have a generational elite QB with the best arm in football.  You don't play to not lose with this QB.  You play to win.  That is what he should have learned all these years.  Especially after 13 second game.  Josh has put this team into position to win too many times just to get it snatched away from him time and time again by these scared ass coaching decisions. Instead of learning that Josh was capable of actually winning that game like he did in Detroit, he learned that a mistake MIGHT happen.

Fast forward to OT.  He again played to not lose.  He elected to kick a fg instead of giving his QB a chance to win.  I can almost forgive that one.  Most coaches probably take the points there.  However, this particular coache's defense had already allowed 2 TDs and a FG in the fourth quarter alone.  They were beat.

Fine he made that decision.  Fast forward to Philly in the redzone.  The guy played cover 0 defense.  Thats a sure loss for the D.  If McD is as prepared as he says he was then he never would have made this play call.  Philly just beat KC with is the week before lol and has beaten that coverage the same way numerous times.

He learned nothing from 13 seconds.  He has had 7 years here.  He still loses in the same fashion now as he has since he got here.  If a coach needs all world talent at every position to win the game then its the wrong coach.  I posted a tweet in a couple threads.  I'm not going to post it again here but it showed 10 games that we were in the lead or tied with under 2 minutes to play.  We lost all 10 of those games.  At some point it's coaching.  This is a defensive HC with most of the teams assets on defensive players.  His defense can't make a game winning stop.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah but look at what happened in the Denver game.  Watched another game over the weekend, (may have been a college game) team lined up for FG just before ball was snapped, TO called, still snapped the ball kicker kicked it and made FG for practice.  Now kicks the 2nd one for real and misses so never know.  Granted in this case TO was called way prior.

There is no proof that the timeout is what made the miss happen.  They may have missed just because they missed.  Bass been missing FGs all year.  Anybody ice him?  How many times has a kicker gotten a timeout and still made the kick?  That Denver kick was no gimme either.  Could have missed just because its 58 yards. The timeout is more valuable to your franchise QB then it is to using on icing a kicker.  

Edited by Scott7975

11 hours ago, T master said:

Nobody was fine with mcd Saturday and wants him fired over Sunday alone.

You are who you are, way to talented a roster, too many mistakes, year after year. Zoom out, if player (or hell coaches) mistakes aren't stopping, you bring in someone else to stop it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.