Bills took the best team in the NFL to OT…

appoo

1 hour ago, appoo said:

While having a huge chunk of their salary cap on IR or basically washed 

whole fighting the refs in a horrifically officiated game 

while at a decided talent disadvantage on both sides of the ball 

on the road 

and y’all want to fire the head coach who’s has had nothing but 10+ win seasons for like 4 years in a row now?

It took the Eagles kicking a SIXTY YARD FG IN THE RAIN to get to OT. The Eagles had a better DVOA than the Bills.

There was no reasonable analysis that had the Bills winning this football game before the snap. 

Literally demanding the HC be fired for EXCEEDING expectations 

Nah this ain’t it 

We’re going to miss the playoffs with an elite QB…how in the world is that exceeding expectations??

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, appoo said:

What would you expect differently out of a different coach with this specific roster and injury situation?

This team despite the injuries on defense took the Eagles to the limit on the road, so Yes.   Yesterday on its own, would be forgivable, but bad coaching has reared its ugly head in many games this year.   If the team simply lines 11 on the field in the Denver game and stop Mac Jones on a TD drive, they are 8-4, talking about fighting for the top seed and this loss is not as big of a deal. 

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  McDermott is not just below average in that, the ratio of failure on that is an off the chart outlier that is inept on a record level.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

Edited by dgrochester55

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Reality is that pretty much every other coach in the NFL has the Bills pretty much where they are, maybe 1-2 wins more. The majority of coaches would have a sub 500 record with this roster 

No real NFL coach is having a sub .500 record with this roster after our soft portion of the schedule.  You are crazy or drunk.  I'm not talking about Nate Hackett.

9 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

This team despite the injuries on defense took the Eagles to the limit on the road, so Yes.   Yesterday on its own, would be forgivable, but bad coaching has reared its ugly head in many games this year.   If the team simply lines 11 on the field in the Denver game and stop Mac Jones on a TD drive, they are 8-4, talking about fighting for the top seed and this loss is not as big of a deal. 

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

It often seems like the McDermott coached Bills taking a lead into the final two minutes is playing the 80s era Denver Broncos, quarterbacked by Elway.

Boooo to this thread

Yesterday is just a little tiny toothpick on the back of a camel with many large burdens from years of McD piling on big losses.

Again offense "wins the game" several time only to have Sean's decision making blow it. This is the theme of his tenure here to date.

Great at taking our pathetic franchise into relevance, now it's time for someone else to take us from relevant to champions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

It often seems like the McDermott coached Bills taking a lead into the final two minutes is playing the 80s era Denver Broncos, quarterbacked by Elway.

It's at a point where I want to turn the channel after a Josh Allen drive for the lead with under two minutes.    Yesterday, I looked at every one in the room with no excitement after Allen took the lead late in the 4th and just said "I know what happens from here". 

It should not have to be that way.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, appoo said:

with what talent on defense should the Bills be doing this? You’re essentially blaming McDermott for being good enough to get this duct defense to play well enough to keep the bills in games.

Dodson was spying Hurts. DODSON. That is the level of injuries and roster McDermott was handed. 

Against a top 3 offense in the NFL.

Yeah, you know what I say to that?

McDermott called two timeouts and then kneeled on the ball with 20 seconds left in regulation because he trusted his defense -- with Dodson -- DODSON -- spying Hurts --  to make a stop in OT more than he trusted Josh to make a play.

I want a HC who's willing to let his elite QB do elite QB things at the end of football games. And by the "end" of football games, I also mean trusting him enough to wind the clock down as far as possible before punching the ball into the end zone.  Leaving the Eagles 1:54 to score a FG yesterday -- when you actually had room to gain the first down before scoring -- was idiotic.  Compounding the idiocy by kneeling on the time they left you.... unforgivable.

Edited by BRH
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

The only two wins that I can think of were the Giants and Bucs this year and that took a PI non call and a missed hail mary that was a foot away from being caught.  There never seems to be a three and out, shut the opposing drive down before it starts, victory formation, game over scenario.

That's not the best team in the NFL.  They may have the best record but they have been Houdini and escaped a lot of losses this year, many times through sheer luck.  That's the way it goes sometimes tho.  Better to be lucky than good is a saying for a reason.

Usually(but not always) teams that have this kind of luck during the regular season see their luck run out in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

The only two wins that I can think of were the Giants and Bucs this year and that took a PI non call and a missed hail mary that was a foot away from being caught.  There never seems to be a three and out, shut the opposing drive down before it starts, victory formation, game over scenario.

It's nice remembering what that was like watching the Ravens D do that to the Chargers twice last night.

I mean even during the drought years we had a bunch of games where that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  McDermott is not just below average in that, the ratio of failure on that is an off the chart outlier that is inept on a record level.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

There has to be a stat on that somewhere.  What's McDermott's winning percentage when leading by less than one score or tied when the other team has the ball in the last two minutes of regulation?  I will bet anything it's one of the worst in the league.  Prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's nice remembering what that was like watching the Ravens D do that to the Chargers twice last night.

I mean even during the drought years we had a bunch of games where that happened.

McDermott may have been better at building a team than the drought era coaches, but his game management is worse than anyone besides maybe Jauron.

I truly think that you hand this roster to Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan or Chan Gailey before the season starts that each of them bring this team to eight or nine wins at this point of the season.   The game management on the two minute drill is off the charts record level poor under McDermott. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

I will say that as soon as we kicked the FG to take the lead, I was already wondering how we would give up another tying FG or outright lose based on our overall 2nd half D…I was more resigned to our fate than angry when Hurts scored. That’s definitely not the place I want to live in as a fan of this team. Only silver lining is that Josh is looking more like “Josh” again since Dorsey left, and thus I never doubted he’d put points up enough to win if the D would do its job at the end. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 minute ago, dgrochester55 said:

McDermott may have been better at building a team than the drought era coaches, but his game management is worse than anyone besides maybe Jauron.

I truly think that you hand this roster to Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan or Chan Gailey before the season starts that each of them bring this team to eight or nine wins at this point of the season.   The game management on the two minute drill is off the charts record level poor under McDermott. 

Well...game management on D maybe in the 2 minute drill but on offense it's outstanding.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

on the road 

and y’all want to fire the head coach who’s has had nothing but 10+ win seasons for like 4 years in a row now?

It took the Eagles kicking a SIXTY YARD FG IN THE RAIN to get to OT. The Eagles had a better DVOA than the Bills.

There was no reasonable analysis that had the Bills winning this football game before the snap. 

Nah this ain’t it 

I’m glad you’re happy. The team is 6-6.. but they did go toe to toe with Philadelphia, and ended up losing.  The team is wildly inconsistent this season but you want to pretend that the performance vs Philly is the norm?  This team lost to NE this year and NE may be the worst team in the NFL.  The Bills allowed them to score 29.  

That should all be dismissed now because they made a game of it with Philly.  Ok.  The lovable losers.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

What would you expect differently out of a different coach with this specific roster and injury situation?

Welp, right now the talentless NY Giants are 4-8 with Daboll as head coach on top of that same talentless team making the playoffs last year.

McD is 6-6 with arguabley 2x-3x-4x the talent the Giants have.

There is no doubt in my mind Brian Daboll would have this Bills team atop the AFC East and in position for the #1 seed in the AFC right now!

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Welp, right now the talentless NY Giants are 4-8 with Daboll as head coach on top of that same talentless team making the playoffs last year.

McD is 6-6 with arguabley 2x-3x-4x the talent the Giants have.

There is no doubt in my mind Brian Daboll would have this Bills team atop the AFC East and in position for the #1 seed in the AFC right now!

Dude it could be worse.  The Bills could be in the Pats situation.  They don’t even know where to begin over there.. yet the Bills managed to lose to them this season.  

People are on here defending the Bills coaches and players.  Not good enough.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

If 10 win seasons and only making the playoffs is your goal, then keep McD.  

They have won 13, 11, 13 the last three years and actually won at least one playoff game in each of those years.   I know this season is not going to plan but this statement goes against what McDermott has actually done.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills defense can’t stop the best teams (Eagles) or the worst teams (Patriots-Giants) from driving the field when the game is on the line.

The responsibility for that lies right at the feet of Sean McDermott.

Yep.

I "knew" this season was destined for a disaster when you let Mac Jones look like Joe Montana at his peak.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They have won 13, 11, 13 the last three years and actually won at least one playoff game in each of those years.   I know this season is not going to plan but this statement goes against what McDermott has actually done.

Let me clarify.  If you are good with the AFC championship being your Super bowl, and still not winning that in your one appearance...McD is your man

3 hours ago, appoo said:

on the road 

Nah this ain’t it 

The Bills didn't "take" the Eagles to OT. Philly took us.

• Agree 1

To be clear, the Bills have lost 6, 3, 6, 3 games the last 4 seasons. You can not claim a pattern of losing when you win 10, 13, 10, and 13 games.  This season is clearly an anomaly and if your ague that it’s an argument  against reality. McDermott wins football games.  

The question is really about what he can do against superior football teams with superior talent. That’s basically where he comes up short over his history in Buffalo. Can he get over the hump and have the bills win games against superior talent? Unlikely. That’s also true of 99% of the coaches out there. 

Almost every year we end up with a Super Bowl winner that’s either the most talented, or near the most talented with enough great combos to overcome any talent deficiencies.  

There’s only 3 coaches whom I think can be one of those coach combos. Andy Reid, Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay. 

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Let me clarify.  If you are good with the AFC championship being your Super bowl, and still not winning that in your one appearance...McD is your man

What you’re basically saying is there’s a coach out there who’s gonna lead the bills past Reid and Mahomes without having the best roster in the NFL? Or even Joe Burrow when your roster is a shell of its regular season self?

Because thats the upgrade to McDermott 

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

What you’re basically saying is there’s a coach out there who’s gonna lead the bills past Reid and Mahomes without having the best roster in the NFL? Or even Joe Burrow when your roster is a shell of its regular season self?

Because thats the upgrade to McDermott 

I'm saying McD has proven it's not him.  So we need to take our chances and try someone else

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't want to crucify the OP because frankly I have been in a similar spot -- even up through halftime yesterday. Taken in a vacuum his points about going toe-to-toe against the team with the best record in the NFL on their home field, making a ridiculously low-percentage field goal in the rain to tie it up... well, they are valid points.

However, we do not operate in a vacuum. And when you look at all that went on in the 2nd half, it really was a microcosm of all that is wrong with McD.  I too am leaning toward the belief that it is probably time to thank him for all that he has done, and look for some fresh blood in the off-season.

At this point it looks like winning out is likely the only shot we have of making the playoffs. That would include road wins over KC and Miami. Not to mention a tough home game against the Cowboys.

I will say that since 2020 the team has rallied after one of these mid/late season unlikely losses -- all of which were last-minute or overtime losses. In 2020 they went undefeated after "Hail Murray", in 2021 they went undefeated after the overtime loss against the Bucs, in 2022 they went undefeated after the overtime loss against the Vikings. Recall that the 2021 loss to the Bucs was also our 6th loss of the year, and things looked dire at that point. Then they rebounded and went into the playoffs strong. Anything short of that should spell the end of McD, I would think.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

There’s no excuse, ever, for letting Mac Jones and that terrible offense easily drive down the field and beat you. 

McD makes the same mistakes constantly with his game and personnel management.

You can’t really expect his game management to change at this point.  

Yup, we have been doing the wash and repeat routine on defense for many seasons now, same results regardless of who is or isn’t injured.  
    This result screams for this team to put the majority of their resources into the offensive side of the team, could we all just imagine what this team looks like with multiple high picks and expensive FA weapons for the offense every season…, imo the time has come for a serious discussion about how decisions are made and who is making those for this team going forward. The current administration has so obviously plateaued…, something needs to change to get over this hump. 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

3 hours ago, appoo said:

on the road 

Nah this ain’t it 

1st the Eagles are the luckiest team in the NFL.

Week 1 need Boutte to fail get both feet in to cling to a victory against NE. 

Week 2 needed a comeback in the 4th quarter against MN

week 4 needed OT Beat Washington

Week 11 needed a drop to beat KC

THIS Week need a 59 yard FG as time expired in the rain.

thats 5 lucky wins… hardly great. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

OP you just don't get it.

It's not just one game. It's a pattern of losing from a HC that is wasting the best QB in franchise history. 

Nothing more, nothing less than that.

It's right in front of our eyes. It's so obvious.  Each week, we talk about the finger that point to the Moon.

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, we have been doing the wash and repeat routine on defense for many seasons now, same results regardless of who is or isn’t injured.  
    This result screams for this team to put the majority of their resources into the offensive side of the team, could we all just imagine what this team looks like with multiple high picks and expensive FA weapons for the offense every season…, imo the time has come for a serious discussion about how decisions are made and who is making those for this team going forward. The current administration has so obviously plateaued…, something needs to change to get over this hump. 

GO BILLS!!!

McDermott has won 65% of his games!!!!!! You’re acting like he’s got a losing record 

8 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I don't want to crucify the OP because frankly I have been in a similar spot -- even up through halftime yesterday. Taken in a vacuum his points about going toe-to-toe against the team with the best record in the NFL on their home field, making a ridiculously low-percentage field goal in the rain to tie it up... well, they are valid points.

However, we do not operate in a vacuum. And when you look at all that went on in the 2nd half, it really was a microcosm of all that is wrong with McD.  I too am leaning toward the belief that it is probably time to thank him for all that he has done, and look for some fresh blood in the off-season.

At this point it looks like winning out is likely the only shot we have of making the playoffs. That would include road wins over KC and Miami. Not to mention a tough home game against the Cowboys.

I will say that since 2020 the team has rallied after one of these mid/late season unlikely losses -- all of which were last-minute or overtime losses. In 2020 they went undefeated after "Hail Murray", in 2021 they went undefeated after the overtime loss against the Bucs, in 2022 they went undefeated after the overtime loss against the Vikings. Recall that the 2021 loss to the Bucs was also our 6th loss of the year, and things looked dire at that point. Then they rebounded and went into the playoffs strong. Anything short of that should spell the end of McD, I would think.

So to be clear one can win 46 games and 4 playoff wins over 4 years, and should be  fired for going 8-9 and missing the playoffs in an injury riddled season? 

For that you want to risk having the next Frank Reich or even Ron Rivera?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.