‘Bye, Bye Barry’ (Sanders) documentary released on prime video

BuffaloBill

https://www.amazon.com/Bye-Barry-Sanders/dp/B0CGP3QJYH?nodl=1&dplnkId=1c2ba690-009a-431f-9f51-b14972e47f1c

I have not watched it yet but Prime has just released a documentary on Barry Sanders. In my book he is the best pure running back to play the game.  I could watch his highlight clips all day. It’s so sad that his career was wasted in a bad to middling Detroit franchise.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

• BuffaloBill changed the title to ‘Bye, Bye Barry’ (Sanders) documentary released on prime video

The Lions remain the only franchise I can think of whose ineptitude led to not one but TWO Hall of Fame, all time great players retiring earlier than they should have. Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson.

I know the Lions' failures weren't the ONLY reasons these guys retired, but they certainly contributed greatly to both players' decisions.

I can only wonder what Barry Sanders would look like in today's era of wide open offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Detroit always gets too much flack for "ruining" his career. He got to play in six playoff games, and his stats during the postseason left a LOT to be desired.

One dimensional team. It would be tough in any era for the RB to carry the team load alone in the playoffs. His QB’s were:  Rodney Peete, Bob Gagliano, Andre Ware, Erik Kramer, Dave Krieg, Scott Mitchell and Charlie Batch.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

One dimensional team. It would be tough in any era for the RB to carry the team load alone in the playoffs. His QB’s were:  Rodney Peete, Bob Gagliano, Andre Ware, Erik Kramer, Dave Krieg, Scott Mitchell and Charlie Batch.  

Seems similar to the OJ era Bills teams.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Andre Ware and EJ Manuel just needed a little more time.

Bob Gagliano, a little less.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.amazon.com/Bye-Barry-Sanders/dp/B0CGP3QJYH?nodl=1&dplnkId=1c2ba690-009a-431f-9f51-b14972e47f1c

I have not watched it yet but Prime has just released a documentary on Barry Sanders. In my book he is the best pure running back to play the game.  I could watch his highlight clips all day. It’s so sad that his career was wasted in a bad to middling Detroit franchise.  

Back in early 90's I saw him play live at the Meadowlands - seats were close the middle of the field behind the Detroit bench.  All I have to say is TV/video did not give him justice.  Seeing him live was mind blowing at times.  There were multiple times in that run and shoot he would catch a short pass with guys lining him up and in an instant he would turn and somehow just instantaneously be in a different place with guys grabbing air.  I've never seen anything like it - was truly amazing

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

The same could be said about OJ Simpson. The Bills were also a bad to middling franchise when he was here.

57 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Detroit always gets too much flack for "ruining" his career. He got to play in six playoff games, and his stats during the postseason left a LOT to be desired.

They really did not have much around him though. Switch him and Emmitts teams and he has rings and Emmitt has stats. You could concentrate your defense on stopping him when Scott Mitchell was the QB.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

In my opinion, the best pure running back to play the game was OJ.  OJ's moves were a little more subtle than Barry's but just as effective.  And OJ was bigger, faster, and stronger.   OJ wasn't the best blocker.  He was underutilized as a receiver.  But as a runner, he was a man playing with boys.  

I don't have the stats but I'll guess Barry had more negative plays than OJ.  The highlights don't show that.

If OJ wasn't murderous scum, the NFL and its fans would remember him differently.  I think the top tier of running backs consists of two players: Jim Brown and OJ.  I think Barry is in the next tier with Walter Payton and some others.  

But most people don't rank RBs that way - with OJ in the top two - because of the ick factor of OJ's post-career crimes rightfully tainting his reputation.   

If OJ had died in a car accident when he was traded to the 49ers, the Jimi Hendrix effect would be working in his favor and he'd be remembered as a legend.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

This was a great watch. Super humble guy, soft spoken, thoughtful. The fact that he walked away after 10 years was only strange back then. Most RB careers are over by then these days anyhow. He was one of my favorite players to watch. It was like he was built in a lab to be a RB. Low to the ground, powerful, and it was like his hips were disconnected from his body the way he would shake people out of their shoes. He was the best I've ever seen do it 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

He is one of my all time favorites.  He played when I was about 10-20 years old so right in my wheelhouse of hero worship.  I was always bitter that Emmitt Smith compiled his way to the rushing record that was clearly Barry's to claim.

I get the argument that he may not be the best all around rb.  He is certainly the most elusive RB.  I wonder what he could have done for a team like Houston at the time... or maybe even chronically RB starved teams like Miami and Denver.  Teams' defensive game plans were literally just to stop Sanders from getting 150 yards

• Like (+1) 1

Barry Sanders was the greatest RB I've ever seen and I'm almost 47 years old. My memory goes back to the likes of Marcus Allen, John Riggins, Roger Craig, Walter Payton, and Tony Dorsett. I remember them all and everyone I have seen after that. It's crazy to think that both Barry and Thurman were on the same team at Oklahoma St. Barry was literally 0-100 on the field. He could stop and be at full speed within about three steps. I've never seen anything like it. He could also juke at full speed without losing any of that speed. He was out there breaking ankles for 10 years. It really was fun to watch. 

The useless regurgitation about his Playoff performances is the same mess that Scott Mitchell is out here whining about. Barry was basically the sole reason those teams even made the Playoffs at any point during his career. He carried Wayne Fontes AND that franchise. Everyone knew the only thing the Lions had was Barry, so when the Playoffs came they sold out on that fact. It's why Detroit only won one game once they made the Playoffs. He did NOT have the help around him to go any further, and this SURELY includes QB play. 

Barry's lowest total of rushing yards came in 1993 when he rushed for 1,115 yards, and that came in 11 games. Other than that, his lowest total was 1,304 yards. For his career he averaged right at 1,527 yards per season. That's insane. If he would have played as long as Emmitt Smith did, he would have had over 20,000 yards rushing when he finished up. If you put Barry behind those Dallas OL's of the 90's and he's running for 2,000 per season for like 5 or 6 years in a row. There was no one like him during his time in the NFL, and I have seen no one like him since. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

He is one of my all time favorites.  He played when I was about 10-20 years old so right in my wheelhouse of hero worship.  I was always bitter that Emmitt Smith compiled his way to the rushing record that was clearly Barry's to claim.

I get the argument that he may not be the best all around rb.  He is certainly the most elusive RB.  I wonder what he could have done for a team like Houston at the time... or maybe even chronically RB starved teams like Miami and Denver.  Teams' defensive game plans were literally just to stop Sanders from getting 150 yards

Mijami had good backs but Marino could not execute a good fake and RBs got demolished.  

Every time Marino would try to execute a fake there would be a call in bar "FAKE!".

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Mijami had good backs but Marino could not execute a good fake and RBs got demolished.  

Every time Marino would try to execute a fake there would be a call in bar "FAKE!".

Wasn't there talk/rumors of Miami trying to make a play for Barry Sanders towards the end of Marino's career?  I don't remember the details now but have a vague memory of this.  Glad he never went there lol 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Who???   Sammie Smith and Mark Higgs?  Terry Kirby?    Not exactly a stellar list.   

16 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

In your opinion he was the greatest.

I think he was the greatest too, but I get what you're saying, he would only get to the line of scrimmage or 1 or 2 yards on a lot of plays, then he'd hit a big run and it would be mind blowing. He was also a scat back in a main RB role and over-performed, and very entertaining to watch even as a kid. I had a his rookie card certain he'd break Walter Payton's record, only for that to go down to Emmitt Smith because he played 6 years past his prime. The way Barry carried himself and left the game, I think left everyone wanting more. 

19 hours ago, stevewin said:

Back in early 90's I saw him play live at the Meadowlands - seats were close the middle of the field behind the Detroit bench.  All I have to say is TV/video did not give him justice.  Seeing him live was mind blowing at times.  There were multiple times in that run and shoot he would catch a short pass with guys lining him up and in an instant he would turn and somehow just instantaneously be in a different place with guys grabbing air.  I've never seen anything like it - was truly amazing

I actually thought something similar with Saquon Bakley this year. Hes always been talented clearly, but seeing him live, dude just popped on the field

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.