List of most outlandish losses

Marlton Bills

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Ah,  There was this game we were losing 35-3 in the 3rd quarter...

To be fair, that was an absolute beat down Houston took once buffalo got into gear… it’s not like bills won on a 2 minute drive continued by phantom penalties and a last second heave for a TD. I get what you’re saying but man, buffalo has lost in unimaginable ways for SO long, SO many times… it’s almost like we’re making it up 

I’ve let my son, who is 13 now, stay up and watch all of these god awful “prime time” games because he has watched every game with me since he was 5.   This game, after he jumped up and ran over to me to hug me when the Broncos missed that “last second” field goal, I sat with him for a long while to explain that this game was what it was like during the drought era.   I explained how the Bills are amazing at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.   After sharing with him many, if not all, of the games you all have outlined above he shook his head, took a deep breath, and said goodnight.   

It’s unreal how this organization figures out different ways to crush your enjoyment of a freakin game!! 

I feel bad for bringing my son into this mess.   

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

2020 AFC Wildcard game against Houston registers high on the pain index for me. Thought we had that one locked down, I guess blowing leads doesn't stand out anymore!

The referee changing the rules mid-game was the highlight for me.  

"his intention was to give himself up"... intention?! I didn't intend to throw that interception so i'd like the ball back.  Idiotic.  

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@ Bucs 12/21... Cost us home field:

Bills@Bucs_1220211.thumb.jpg.bbc953eaec1e9413e38e77ab910dcd7c.jpg

HoldingDiggs_EZ(1).thumb.jpeg.5ab167c1fc44fd1da3e38ad340a97c95.jpeg

That would have been the potential winning penalty putting ball on 1 yard line. 

Tom Brady home cookin'!

This is why i didn't care in the slightest how we beat the giants this year.  Refs are terrible.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Despite the Bills being a regular playoff team in recent years, they've had some pretty absurd losses right up there with the drought years and other infamous follies like Wide Right and Music City Miracle.

Every team has bad losses from time to time but it's almost like the Bills go out of their way to defy logic and make sure they are at the top of the list of every inexcusable way to lose on an annual basis.

The biggest of the big was 13 seconds.  Just a huge stage and forever put us on the losing end of one of the greatest games ever.

The craziest I can remember was the Dallas MNF game.  A specific sequence of things needed to happen in order for them to lose that game.  Minnesota last year was similar.  Like a series of 10 things that all had to go a certain way in order to ensure defeat

Some that may have been glossed over/not mentioned:

The "Kevin Everett game", the opener when the Bills should have won and Denver had a fire drill to get the kicker out, barely got the kick off and hit the game winning FG.  What a kick in the gut.

An OT game against a good Baltimore team.  All I remember is driving in Overtime and Shawn Nelson was held up in mid air, forward progress stopped for about 5 seconds, then Ray Lewis ripped the ball out of his hands, Baltimore recovered and it counted.

Stevie Johnson's OT drop that started "Bills Mafia"

"Just give it to them" was surreal

The Houston playoff game was also a bizarre and very cruel loss.

Ronnie Harmon

The "Aaron Rodgers" game was also kind of a gut punch way to lose with the turnovers, Zach Wilson, and having the game in-hand pretty late, only to lose on a PR touchdown.

And don't forget...  getting steamrolled by Pittsburgh's second and third stringers at home in the final game to be eliminated from the playoffs (which was analytically the best team ever to miss the playoffs)

Edited by May Day 10

We call it the "wide right" game, which is really the granddaddy of them all.  But I never blame Norwood for that game.

That 9+-minute drive from the Giants to start the 2nd half was where the team failed.  There were missed tackles on a 3rd & long late in that drive that were maddening.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:24 AM, Marlton Bills said:

Is it me or do the Bills seem to come up with the craziest ways to lose…every time this happens I think, well that’s the craziest loss I’ve ever seen…and then they top it. Going back I think about the Dallas Sunday or Monday night Game a few tears back. We had that sucker locked down and then I think Mckelvin coughed the ball up on the kick off with little time remaining.  They haven’t been hard to come by lately. The Jacksonville game a couple of years ago was stunning. Looking to the jets this year after we knocked out their hall of fame quarterback was atrocious.  Feel free to list others here. 

McKelvin was Patriots

Dallas was a recovered onside kick

• Like (+1) 1

Last year’s Minnesota game was maybe not the most heartbreaking but it was unique in that there were literally 20 or so plays where if Bills execute game is over or for all practical purposes over (failure to turn two Cousins interceptions into points, Singletary fumble, first Josh interception, Cam Lewis brain fart, Josh fumble, etc. etc.).  Can’t remember any game like that, although this year’s Tampa Bay game felt somewhat similar.

• Like (+1) 1

The Houston playoff game is up there. Started watching the game at the food court at the Buffalo Airport, watched the second half at the gate. Everyone stopped boarding and just stood at the gate door when DeMolester Watson hit Taiwan. 175 pizzed off people boarded that plane to Fla.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Top of mind … 

-Wide right

-Therms Helmet  

- Ronnie Harmon drop v Cleveland 

- music city miracle 

- Primetime pats with not just mckelvin fumble, but 2 Ben Watson TDs same play 

- prime time v Dallas 

-joshs  failed qb keeper v titans 

- Jacksonville last minute TD by leftwich

- Flutie fumble

- Miami clock expiration

- minny OT INT

There’s probably 20 more

Easily

While it is true that Buffalo has had many outlandish losses, I don't necessarily think we are unique. 

- The Tennessee Titans getting to the 1 yard line losing to Rams in a Super Bowl.

- The Atlanta Falcon blowing a huge lead in the SB vs Cheats.

- Dallas 1967 NFL Championship game on a last play Herb Adderly interception of a Don Meredith pass in the EZ.

- Dallas losing on a last play QB sneak by Bart Starr in the Ice Bowl.

- Dallas losing to the Stealers in a Super Bowl in which Jackie Smith dropped a for sure TD in the EZ.

- Dallas losing on a last second FG in a Super Bowl.

- Seahawks losing Super Bowl on last play with a pick in the EZ instead of giving it to The Beast.

- Houston Oilers blowing a 30+ point lead vs Buffalo.

- Ernest Buyer fumbling going in for a winning score vs Denver in the playoffs.

- Cleveland giving up a 98 yard "The Drive" vs Denver in the playoffs.

- Cincinnati getting flagged for PI letting the Rams in range to score game winning TD in a Super Bowl.

- NY Giants After quarterback Joe Pisarcik botched an attempt to hand off the football to fullback Larry Csonka, Herm Edwards picked up the dropped ball and ran 26 yards for the winning touchdown.

- Raiders losing on the Immaculate Reception.

- Raiders losing on "The Tuck".

- Saints lose after taking the lead with < :20 left only to give a up a Case Keenum to Diggs bomb for the TD and win in a playoff game.

Although 12 men on the field may be a new low.

It's football.  It happens.

Edited by reddogblitz

Here's one that that almost made the list. 3 weeks ago, under 10 minutes left in the game, up 24-10 against the Bucs and people are leaving the game in droves. I'm shouting "what is it about being a Bills fan makes you think this game is over?" Thankfully the last pass fell harmlessly to the ground or we'd have to add "Hail Mayfield" to the list.

Edited by Steve O

On 11/15/2023 at 2:55 AM, billsbackto81 said:

6-3 loss to the Browns. 

Memorable because I believe Jauron got fired after that one.

I also recall a game against the Jags, Leftwich was the QB. Jags completed (4) 4th Downs on the final drive, including a 4th and 20 something. Won it with a TD on the final 4th down as time expired. That was a kick in the crotch 

Yeah, I was there for that one.  Opening day of 2005, maybe.  Jags hit a toe tapping 25 yard touchdown in the back of the end zone as time expired.  Or maybe the guy's feet were never in, but that was when the rule was that the defender couldn't push the receiver out of bounds. Quiet exit that day.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The biggest of the big was 13 seconds.  Just a huge stage and forever put us on the losing end of one of the greatest games ever.

The craziest I can remember was the Dallas MNF game.  A specific sequence of things needed to happen in order for them to lose that game.  Minnesota last year was similar.  Like a series of 10 things that all had to go a certain way in order to ensure defeat

Some that may have been glossed over/not mentioned:

The "Kevin Everett game", the opener when the Bills should have won and Denver had a fire drill to get the kicker out, barely got the kick off and hit the game winning FG.  What a kick in the gut.

An OT game against a good Baltimore team.  All I remember is driving in Overtime and Shawn Nelson was held up in mid air, forward progress stopped for about 5 seconds, then Ray Lewis ripped the ball out of his hands, Baltimore recovered and it counted.

Stevie Johnson's OT drop that started "Bills Mafia"

"Just give it to them" was surreal

The Houston playoff game was also a bizarre and very cruel loss.

Ronnie Harmon

The "Aaron Rodgers" game was also kind of a gut punch way to lose with the turnovers, Zach Wilson, and having the game in-hand pretty late, only to lose on a PR touchdown.

And don't forget...  getting steamrolled by Pittsburgh's second and third stringers at home in the final game to be eliminated from the playoffs (which was analytically the best team ever to miss the playoffs)

13 seconds was very painful but wide right is the most painful loss in Bills history.

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

Here's one that that almost made the list. 3 weeks ago, under 10 minutes left in the game, up 24-10 against the Bucs and people are leaving the game in droves. I'm shouting "what is it about being a Bills fan makes you think this game is over?" Thankfully the last pass fell harmlessly to the ground or we'd have to add "Hail Mayfield" to the list.

So what? We won the game.  Kills me when fans get upset because it wasn't a pretty enough win.  There are no style points in football.  Just win baby

The one thing that always struck me about the Super Bowl era Bills (let's say 1988-1993), was how few of these "outlandish" or painful final play losses they seemed to have during that run.  The only two that really come to mind were obviously Harmon's drop and Wide Right.  But those were two fairly normal close games/finishes that we came out on the wrong end of.  On the other hand, we seemed to have won a ton of fluky or crazy comeback games during the same time period (Raiders night game where Odomes stripped the receiver and returned for TD, the Denver 21 points in 90 seconds game, Houston comeback, etc.). We very rarely lost close games during that period.  The rare games we lost, we generally played like garbage and got our butts kicked (Miami opener, Houston Monday night game in 92, Super Bowls)

Edited by TheBrownBear

17 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There was a point in the 2000’s where the Bills lost to Jax(Ernest Wilford), Denver(Elam FG) or the Jets(KO return, name escapes me) either on the last play of the game or close to it.  I believe all 3 were home openers, or at least September games. 

All heartbreakers. 😞

Ugh. I remember all 3.  Was at the Jax game....The Denver run on the field FG last Monday reminded me of that Elam game.  Much the same ending except the Broncos didn't plan for a run on the first time and just barley got the game winning kick off.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

On 11/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, Real McClappy said:

Add this one to the mix against the Browns we lost 34-30 in divisional round. Harmon is such a tool.

Go to 48secs in vid.

This was my first year as a bills fans.  I was in my friends living room watching this.  I think I was in 3rd grade but its crazy how vivid this memory is.

1 haven't seen mentioned is this titans game christams eve 2006. Robert royal inexplicably didn't get his feet down on a great trick play, bills elected not to kick the 45 yard fg and put the ball in jps hand on 4th and 5.  Pick.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sure a lot of teams fans could compile such a list. We don’t remember those because it’s not our team. The Dallas Monday night game was lost because the Bills couldn’t cover an onside kick; it wasn’t a McKevin fumble. That was a SNF game vs the Patriots.( Both games were QB’d by the great Trent Edwards I believe ) In the end, the Bills offense didn’t score enough points off the takeaways provided by the defense that night. 

Back when it was announced that Denver had hired Sean Payton as their new HC, a big name NFL pundit  whom I can't remember (may have been Peter King from SI) said something to the effect of: "Sean is a good enough coach that simply being on the team will be good for 1 win per season that the Broncos otherwise wouldn't have."

At that moment, I thought, "If that's true, McDermott has to be worth 1 to 2 LOSSES per year, simply by being the head coach.

This thread documents that I wasn't really wrong.

• Agree 1

On 11/15/2023 at 6:06 AM, billsbackto81 said:

The NE game, UGH! Remember that one. Me and my best friend were dancing like school girls after the go ahead TD.🤣 

When McKelvin took the ball out on the kickoff instead of downing it I swear me and my friend looked at each other and simultaneously said "Oh No!

Being Bills fans we subconsciously knew what was about to happen. 

Honestly I was ok with the decision to run it back because iirc there was something like 2:04 on the clock, and the runback gets it to the 2-minute warning instead of hitting it right after the first down dive into the line for a "free" timeout. Situationally it was the right move, I do disagree with the decision to fumble it however. "Get what you can and GET DOWN" needed to be stressed there.

After lurking for years and reading these boards, this thread finally prompted me to create an account. I'm 4.5 hours from Orchard Park and have been going to games since 1998. It's a running joke within my circle of friends about all of the horrible Bills losses that I've been to. In no particular order:

The first game I attended was the home opener in 98. Tony Banks let the Rams back from 18 down to sneak in the GW TD with 12 seconds to go

2004 - Get beat by the Steelers 2nd and 3rd string to keep the Bills out of the Playoffs.

2007 - The Cowboys Monday night debacle. Force 6 TO's and lose. Got a speeding ticket on the way home. 

2009 - Cleveland game 6-3. If you want anybody to hate the game of football, show them this game. Derek Anderson 2-17, 23 yards and got the WIN

2010- Steelers game. Steve Johnson blames his crucial loss on God. 

I feel like I'm missing one or two other bad ones, but these stick out. 

On 11/18/2023 at 9:20 AM, section122 said:

This was my first year as a bills fans.  I was in my friends living room watching this.  I think I was in 3rd grade but its crazy how vivid this memory is.

1 haven't seen mentioned is this titans game christams eve 2006. Robert royal inexplicably didn't get his feet down on a great trick play, bills elected not to kick the 45 yard fg and put the ball in jps hand on 4th and 5.  Pick.

I thought I had successfully erased that game from my memory files. 

That game has Billsy written ALL over it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.